Thai Urban Kitchen
500 W Madison
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Thai Urban Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thaiurbankitchen.com/
- Phone: 8889555885x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 11:00am - 9:30pm
Sat - Sun: 12:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Thai
- Executive Chef: Chef Tassana Niyomrut
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call us for special price on all any special cater.
- Private Party Facilities: Organization's functions, Party, Wedding, etc.
- Private Party Contact: Thai Urban Kitchen 8883386805
A word from Thai Urban Kitchen
Thai Urban Kitchen is located at Ogilvy Transportation Center and offers Thai dishes as well as sushi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Thai Urban Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Loop ›
Thai Urban Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (22)good for groups (10)fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (4)romantic (1)special occasion (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- fast service and great foodjjmcd97Dined on 8/19/2014I go here for business all the time and it is consistently great. The pad see eiw is my favorite but I have never had a bad meal here. Steamed dumplings are also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Get Togetherdcb75Dined on 8/19/2014Met a friend for lunch and we had a great time. Service and food were both very good.Special Features:
- Great FoodGretahovDined on 8/18/2014Food was fresh tasting and portions were generous. Service was slow and we had to ask for beverage refills and had to ask twice to get our check. Beware - we called ahead to make sure we could use our Restaurant.com certificate, and were told they only accept them on Mondays and Tuesdays on full price orders. When we arrived we were told they only accept them at dinner time.
- Fun lunch spot in the loopLoopFoodieDined on 8/6/2014Quick service and the food is pretty good. Fun concept of a standard $13 price per person which includes an appetizer and an entree. Lots of options and fun atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food/slow serviceChicagosFinestDined on 7/31/2014Food was not bad but although restuarant was practically empty the service was soo slow. Once we got service, the servers were nice. It was ok based on convenience but would not go out of my way to go back there.Special Features:
- Excellent foodHHChicagoDined on 7/30/2014Always a great choice for a flavorful and reasonably-priced lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent Lunch Dealweg313Dined on 7/18/2014Great selection of Thai appetizers and entrees for #13.00-- from 11:30am - 3:00pm.Special Features:
- Good, quick foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014Our food was on the table very quickly and it was extremely good. The waiter helped us figure out what we wanted becauase there were a number of items on the menu that looked good.Special Features:
- Good TimeAdrianneDined on 7/10/2014Great Sushi! Fantastic spot for an afterwork cocktail before catching the train;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid every TimeBeerbrewerVIPDined on 7/9/2014A got to business lunch place - we shared some rolls and such and the food is excellent. Also had some edamame. Food is good, fast and service is solidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSB123Dined on 6/2/2014I haven't been to TUK in a while and I used to love the Pad Thai. It arrived all stuck together and I had to ask for a knife to separate and cut it. I should have sent it back. There must be a new chef and it wasn't worth the money this day.Special Features:
- served food coldluvspicynchineseDined on 5/23/2014We reached at 11:30 am and the restaurant wasn't even crowded. Our food arrived in 10 mins but the chicken and tofu was cold. We told the server and he took the plates in, microwaves and gets it back. Seriously? We had rice mixed in the plates which he probably didn't know! Unbelievable.
- NOT great for lunch.c5reynoldsDined on 5/20/2014Had a reservation to celebrate a co-workers bday during our lunch break. 50 minutes passed between apps and entrees, and one persons food came out before the other four entrees. Not quick and not attentive. Sushi wasn't anything special.
- Horrible service below avg foodResreviewsDined on 5/6/2014Took over 40 mins to serve lunch after placing order. And I had invited business partners for lunch here because it is right next to our offices. They don't even pretend to apologize during the delays. And the soup when finally served was horrible: cold and too much salt.
- The following 321 reviews are from the Thai Urban Kitchen reviews archive.
- Did not live up to expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2014I came to Urban Thai Kitchen with a gift certificate and rave reviews in hand. My colleagues said that the food was flavorful and abundant. Yes, there was abundant food. However, the food was not necessarily flavorful to me. The pad thai was mushy and too oily, and the eggplant with green beans and peppers were only spicy, as opposed to spicy with different flavours (garlic, ginger, basil, etc.). Also, the rice was overcooked. I came at 4:30pm, so I expected the food to be fresh and not overcooked.
- Quick Bitedcb75Dined on 4/30/2014We stopped for a quick bite before going to a show at the Lyric Opera. Food came quickly. Service was good.
- One of the best in the areaGinaHVIPDined on 4/2/2014My go-to restaurant in this area - lunch special prices are good & you can have as quick or as leisurely of a lunch as you'd like.Special Features:
- place to eat before the operaML03VIPDined on 3/19/2014Very good Thai food, well presented but service was erraticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for lunchKelbut33Dined on 3/18/2014This is a great place to meet friends for a meal and the food presentation is good. You can't beat the lunch special (appetizer and entree for a great price). But it didn't wow me. The food is delicious, don't get me wrong. There's just another Asian fusion restaurant in town that I prefer.Special Features:
- Perfect place for client lunches!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/17/2014This is my go-to place for meeting clients for lunch. Very professional atmosphere, well-lit and nicely designed, and the menu has a variety of options for herbivores and carnivores alike. Being vegan, it's always great to be able to pick from a variety of dishes, but allow clients to choose what they like. Service is great, food comes out fast and hot, and the prices / lunch specials are a great value.Special Features:
- An Excellent Choice for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/4/2014I have eaten in this restaurant many times and find it excellent for lunch. It is quite busy a noontime so a reservation is a good idea. The noise level is reasonable so one can talk and the service is efficient so one can be in and out in less than an hour. The food is not only good but different (not the usual hamburger or sandwich) which makes the lunch interesting. I recommend this place very strongly and will continue going there regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've dined here multiple times. ThTravelerDined on 2/28/2014I've dined here multiple times. This time disappointed. Inept server. Food wasn't hot enough. Etc.
- Good for lunchMikeBikerVIPDined on 2/28/2014If you work in the Loop area, this is a good place to try for lunch. They have a $13 lunch special with a lot of options.
- Lunch findSB123Dined on 2/26/2014A bit pricey for lunch, but still love the pad thai with shrimp and the dumplings. Its good for a team meeting or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Opera with an 8 year oldDavidsDadDined on 2/22/2014Accomidating our departure time, our first appetizer came out while we still pondered the rest of our order. We asked if we could substitue the included salad/soup for something else. The waiter inquired with the manager and we soon enjoyed shrimp dumplings. The owner/manager came by our table and we talked for a bit. All the staff seemed very interested in making this a good experience for an 8 year old. The owner/manager and my son enjoyed talking about the food. At the end of the meal we were suprised by a special dessert for my son compliments of the owner/manager. I am not suggesting that dinners should expect free food but they can expect an experience that conforms to their particular needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No standing ovation.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/21/2014Maybe it was an “off night”. I was seated promptly, but 20 min. passed before the server arrived to take my order. Once the order was taken, it was an additional 20 min. before the first course (soup) arrived. The food was pedestrian, at best. I will not return.
- Poor impressionMarenDined on 2/14/2014Seating request was not granted even if the restaurant was half empty on Valentine's Day. We waited long time and had to call the staff to take our order. Nobody checked us during the meal to see if we liked the food or we are doing fine. Overall, we won't go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great lunch spot!ChikindVIPDined on 2/14/2014Always a great deal with their $13 appetizer and entree special. Food is always tasty and well presented. Not your typical Thai but more elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location to unwind the dayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Step off the train. Walk into this pan-Asian fusion before heading home. Offer a bottle of hot Sake and some appetizer, such as heaven beef, and all your trouble of the day vanishes.Special Features:
- Yummy-YummyJeedLikeDaUkraineWomenDined on 2/4/2014Thai Urban Kitchen is My Thai! My Favorite Thai that is... Excellent Basil Chicken. Conveniently located on the first floor of Ogilvy Station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic, delicious Thai!BdinesVIPDined on 1/24/2014Delicious meal, attentive service, wonderful presentation. From the dumpling appetizer to the most unique Pad Thai with duck and eel; the Maki - "Sex on the Beach" - which was fresh and heavenly...then topped off with a passion fruit torte and jasmine tea. A perfect meal for a blistery Friday night. Reminds me of many meals during our last holiday in Thailand. Will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spot in the looplooperDined on 1/22/2014Convenient location right in the Ogilvie station. Many of the sit down lunch spots in the loop get pretty packed and have to make reservations a day in advance. Thai Urban Kitchen is good for business lunches.Special Features:
- Great Stop before the OperaskyroverVIPDined on 1/18/2014I don't get over to the Ogilvie Station area very often, but this restaurant fills the bill for excellent Thai and Japanese food before the opera. It is also very close to a good discount parking garage at 500 W Monroe ($6 on nights and weekends).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bountiful plates on a cold eveningBalticRamblerDined on 1/18/2014We needed a reasonable priced dinner pre-opera within a short walk. This restaurant fits the bill. The wine was reasonable and decent quality. The food was overwhelming: we ordered lobster appetizer that was scrumptious, Emperor Pad Thai – (sauteed small rice noodle with duck, calamari, beef, shrimp, red apple, egg, bean sprout and peanut) and Panang Curry (S) –( green pea, string bean, basil and bell pepper in coconut milk with tons of shrimp). The Emperor Pad Thai came with a large salad which we shared. The main dish itself was enough for two people or one athletic teenager! We were the 2nd to arrive at 5pm and a few more opera types arrived by 6 pm as we waddled away at 6:30 pm. We plan to return and same more of their offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceKathDined on 12/20/2013We had a reservation at noon for 2. We ordered by 12:15, but our main dish didn't come until 12:50. My friend had to take her main course to go.
- Little disappointed.cubfanVIPDined on 12/18/2013I have been to this restaurant numerous times and have always been quite pleased with everything. I don't know what happened last week, but the service was a little off for some reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, SLOW serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/12/2013I've been here at least 5 times now, and it's the same thing every time - good food, but it takes FOREVER to arrive. I always come for lunch during the day... which means that I'm somewhat pressed for time. But despite that, I'm never in and out in under an hour. I mean... it's not like the place is packed, and even if it is... they should plan accordingly. Speed things up!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow unattentive serviceYumyumDined on 11/15/2013I really enjoy thai food and I love the food here. I just get frustrated when I have to beg for a refill and plead for someone to bring my check.Special Features:
- Food wasn't as good as beforeLuncherDined on 11/12/2013I like this place for lunch and will go back. The pad thai was soggy this time but the service was good so thinking it was just a glitch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service needsaccidentalfoodieDined on 10/29/2013Food was good, service needs improvement. Had to request silverware and napkins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.