472 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thaiselectnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126959920
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Thai
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call us at 212 695 9920 or email us at email@example.com!
- Private Party Facilities: Private garden room seats 30+ guests.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2126959920
A word from Thai Select
Thai Select seeks to thrill the New York epicure with Thai that's global, fresh and fun. Located in the midtown-west area of Manhattan, Thai Select offers healthy, modern Thai cuisine with worldly flare. Although the signature taste remains authentic Thai in flavor, the presentation might be a bit French in aesthetics, a bit Italian in portion and a bit Japanese in simplicity. With dishes like Kee Mao Fettuccini (made with whole wheat pasta) and Fruit Fried Rice (stir-fried with seasonal fruits), Thai Crabcake (encrusted to perfection) and Coconut Puff Martini (jumbo shrimp hand-battered in coconut strips), the kitchen selects only the very best dishes in Thai cuisine and only the freshest of ingredients picked from the farmer's market for our patrons; hence the name, Thai Select.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thai Select reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (4)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Excellent Thai in NYCFelicia631Dined on 9/10/2014Thai Select has fabulous Thai food. The grilled eggplant appetizer was outstanding. The food is fresh, the price is right, and I'll be back again next time I need a restaurant near MSG. Truly delicious Thai foodSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/8/2014food was delicious. service was awful. they just couldn't get the order right. and it wasn't even too busy. they kept bringing the wrong food to the wrong tables.Special Features:
- Thumbs upTheCDined on 8/31/2014The food was excellent and current. It was fresh and presented well. The Pad Thai was exceptional. Also, try the pineapple fried rice (I'm not a fried rice fan, but this was good).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for LunchSpeedygraffitiDined on 8/14/2014Had a business meeting there for lunch. Food was pretty good, I ate the pad thai lunch special, but wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Worth it for the price and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceS4AVYDined on 7/25/2014Varied menu with all the traditional expected Thai menu items. Lovely food and great staff, helpful and attentive. Happy Hour means 2 for 1 cocktails which is always a plus!Special Features:
- Nice NYC experience3fromMarylandDined on 7/8/2014We headed to NYC for a two day break from our reality and looked forward to a n NYC experience. The experience was exactly that. They accommodated a small suitcase and sat us away from a couple who were clearly on a date. There was a group next to us that were a little loud but not rude. Tables were set very close to each other but that was to be expected, after all we were in NYC. I would visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- The following 114 reviews are from the Thai Select reviews archive.
- good prices, good foodNanaVIPDined on 5/16/2014It was my first time here and I didn't know that to expect. It was the standard Thai restaurant layout, similar to others I have been to in the city. The food was good, and the drinks as well. However, we ordered a thai iced tea and they forgot it, until we had to ask for it again about 10 minutes later. It's a bit off the beaten path from the subway lines but if you're ever in the area you can't go wrong for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is excellentLovThaiDined on 4/18/2014I went there with my family and another family. We have two kids and the service is great and the table we had was great which was under skylightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not friendlyKoiyDined on 4/11/2014DThey are not very friendly and the food was not so good. The chicken saté was raw. They asked to bring another, so that was good.
- The food and service at ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014The food and service at Thai Select were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same old, same oldRobbobVIPDined on 3/26/2014I had read glowing reviews about this place but I just found it to be standard Thai fair that could be gotten on any block in Manhattan. Not good, not bad.
- Great FoodPeacockDined on 3/20/2014I used to dislike Thai food until I ate at Thai Select. The service was great and fast. I had the Pad Kee Mao and it was great. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Great place!JJCdVIPDined on 1/13/2014Food is well-priced - lots of great choices! The beverages are nicely done! The staff is friendly!Special Features:
- Food was good and the restaurantgirlDined on 1/12/2014Food was good and the restaurant overall met most of my expectations for your standard Thai restaurant. When we first arrived, the hostess/waitress seemed to be unaware that a reservation had been made (doesn't seem like they check their open-table notifications?) so she had to put the table together after we got there. The waitresses never checked up on us so I always had to flag someone down. But again, it's not like I made a reservation at Le Bernardin so it's definitely not something that would keep me from going back. Overall, it did the job for the night- just thought it was odd the restaurant wasn't aware that a party of 7 was coming in for 8pmSpecial Features:
- LivingSocial CouponOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2013Got this as a LivingSocial coupon (though it might have been GroupOn), and frankly, while the food was good, it's not something I would go out of my way for. There are a bunch of other Thai locations just as good, but closer to my house. If I lived in that neighborhood, it might be a decent location, but definitely nothing to go out of your way for.
- Just short of being very goodPabloNYVIPDined on 12/22/2013The menu is plentiful so there is something for everyone. The food was a little better than average. Although the wings were quite good, a pork signature dish came out cold. Service was pleasant but less than attentive. It took too long to deliver cocktails and since the waitress did not have a knowledge of alcohol, a simple drink"on the rocks" was incorrect. The prices are right and, therefore, TS deserves one more visit.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013The food is great but I always ask for the spice tray :)Special Features:
- Love Thai SelectOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/19/2013I frequent Thai Select often. It's great for meetings, lunches and dinners. Food is great and service is lovely as well. Definitely a favorite of mine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and affordable restaurantSmb30VIPDined on 10/29/2013Good and affordable restaurant in midtown near penn station is hard to find. really enjoyed the ambiance and food. good for after work dinner/drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and non-pretentiouscanario13Dined on 10/26/2013This restaurant was a good value. Food was very good and moderately priced. The extended happy-hour didn't hurt either! Will eat here again, definitively.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy ThaiJDubs106VIPDined on 10/17/2013SO many Thai restaurants to choose from in this area but this is spacious, clean and yummy food. Good lunch choices as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was an excellent ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2013This was an excellent Thai restaurant. First time we had been there and the food was excellent as was the service. Noise level was a little excessive at times, but overall I would go here again the next time I'm in NY.Special Features:
- Great food and service - yet again!SunnyVIPDined on 8/1/2013Thai Select can do no wrong. Everything was perfect from start to finish.Special Features:
- Great food, so-so serviceFAHTDined on 7/24/2013Arrived at the end of Happy Hour and the service seemed to focus on getting drinks out. It was more of a noisy bar scene than restaurant. We ordered Pad Thai with Jumbo Shrimp, Pad Thai with Roast Duck as the entrees, and Spring Rolls and Tom Kar soup as appetizers. When the appetizers arrived 30+ minutes later, I found the Tom Kar soup to be delicious with big chunks of vegetables and chicken. My colleague thought the spring rolls were good but not notable. The entrees were fabulous with the Roast Duck winning as must have next time. Even with the service issue, we plan to eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Select? Yes, you'll be satisfied.QuadMCVIPDined on 7/17/2013In a dry location for good restaurants this place is fine. Stylish decor past it's prime. Good energy in the room popular with young asians. Food is Thai fusion. Well prepared, imginative and very tasty. The Three Flavour Lime Tilapia was delicious and very spicy - as I had hoped. Our waiter was not so imaginative, and a bit slow on the up-take but friendly enough. Everyone walked away happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Hidden Gem!TTLittlepawsDined on 7/16/2013A small group of us who hadn't seen each other for a long time needed a restaurant where we could catch up on each other's lives. I booked a table at Thai Select based on its location and menu, which is extensive. The space is beautiful--much larger than I expected--and the food and service were top rate. Our server was attentive but did not rush us, and the half price cocktails were also excellent. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/13/2013We ate there before theatre. Interior is gloomy,noisy,not cosy. But the food was outstanding,well prepared,interesting. The drinks were no t good at all,I had to send mine back. But I will come back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and priceRC101Dined on 7/10/2013Found Thai Select on Yelp and I have to agree with most of the reviewers. The food is great and the service was wonderful. Not too loud at all and the price is better than most. Dinner for 2 with soups and main courses cost $32 + tip. Tough to beat in NYC and even outside the city. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2013The wait staff were extremely helpful and nice. Excellent food as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Thai Restaurant - Convenient LKennyL98Dined on 6/27/2013I was looking for a Thai restaurant near Penn Plaza, and pulled this one out of a hat using open table. I was coming in from Jersey and wanted something easy to get to from the Lincoln Tunnel. Tough out the traffic, and head to the parking lot a block south on the west side of 9th avenue. You'll pay about $20 to park there during lunch. The place looks "ultra casual" from the street, with a kind of modern decor inside. The place was deserted when I arrived early at noon, but by the time my companions showed up at 12:30 the place was packed. Food was delicious (try satay appetizer)...Duck specials were delicious...service is VERY slow....prices reasonable ($150 for 7 with no alcohol). Try it out! PS $3/Singha Beer at Happy HourSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but the location kills itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2013Food and service were great. We went during peak dinner time on a Saturday to celebrate a friend's birthday but the place was only half full. Maybe it's the location that does not work to it's advantage. Also, the ambience was strictly ok. So if you're looking for a no frills attached Thai restaurant, this is the place to go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended for lunchMarciaZDined on 5/29/2013Six of us had lunch. We could hear one another without having to strain -- important if you want to talk to your friends -- and the portions were extremely generous. Not the most innovative Thai, but a pleasant little spot, with nice proximity to Javits if you have business there and prefer real food to convention center choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Thai!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/8/2013My third time at this restaurant, and the happy hour specials are great. The food is amazing. Big portions and not expensive at all! Definitely worth a trip. It is on an unbeaten path, but the drinks are great and strong, and service is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing greatADSNDined on 5/5/2013Chicken curry and papaya salad are quite good. Pad thai is average. Tom Yam Soup and beef salad are tasteless not to say they have a bad taste. Restaurant design and atmosphere is just fair. The only good point is that it is rather cheap.
- My friend and I stopped forLGFoodieDined on 4/25/2013My friend and I stopped for a quick dinner and I was happy with the food and the service. Very spicy (which I liked!) but my friend found a little too hot.
- Ok for Penn Station Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2013I made a reservation for a work-related lunch for three and when we arrived, they asked us to wait. They then gave us the first table that opened right by the door. We requested a different table, which they did accomodate. The waitress was distracted and overwhelmed. They brought our appetizers before they brought our drinks. We requested dressing on the side, but it was on. The ambiance is nice and it is very hard to find a good place for a business lunch near Penn Station, but the service was mediocre. The food was fine.
- OK restaurant, but not a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013OK restaurant, but not a great location and not a great decor. Service and food were good, and price was great!
- Good but very spicy food!MikoVIPDined on 3/16/2013Good but very spicy food! I can handle spice but this was a bit too much and no where on the menu is it indicated how spicy it is (it just says spicy or not). I have been to many thai restaurants in the city, and this is the first time I wasn't able to eat my food (red curry) because it was too spicy. My friend's dish (pad kee mao) was also very spicy. The fried rice was not spicy. The only thing I wasn't impressed with is that they somehow cancelled my reservation (by mistake? who knows) before my reservation without me knowing, although we didn't have any trouble getting a table, but then I had to get Open Table to rectify my account and give me points (which they did promptly!).Special Features:
- It was my 4th time eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/13/2013It was my 4th time eating eating dinner at Thai Select. Unfortunately, the food is becoming progressively worse ... But it's a convenient pre-theater restaurant, clean, not expensive and with a great choice of drinks.Special Features:
- Service was attentive. AllOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2013Service was attentive. All food was very good and reasonably priced. Everything came out hot and as ordered. Had happy hour special drinks 1/2 price to 8pm as well. Very nice meal, nice decoration, though seat cushion could use replacing. Easy to have a conversation there even though the place was busy on Saturday night.Special Features: