35 Bethlehem Pike
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thaikuu.com/
- Phone: (267) 297-5715
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday, Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tanawat Nontakarn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Patio heaters for outdoor dining
A word from Thai Kuu
Experience authentic Thai fusion in our own chic environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Thai Kuu - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
Thai Kuu reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (19)great for outdoor dining (13)special occasion (9)romantic (8)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Aweseme BYOBLaurenVIPDined on 11/10/2014A great BYOB!! Great food and ambiance - friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ambiance 😍😍IjusluvfoodDined on 11/8/2014Thai Kuu is a really good spot for couples, girl's night, groups, and etc. the ambiance is really nice. The food was also really good. One of my favorite appetizer was the fried dumpling. The fact that this restaurant is BYOB is perrrrfect!!! I would definitely recommend this place. PS. You should definitely make reservations before going. It's usually crowed on the weekend especially friday and saturday nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timersRoseDined on 11/8/2014After making a reservation we were running late I called to change it that was one of the easiest things I had done. We show up we were seated immediately look at the menu, great menu nice and varied. Ordered food came out first course was soup the coconut milk vegetable soup was fantastic. Then we ordered from volcanic rock- The Seabass and filet were fantastic. Everything was fantastic great flavor great presentation and I can't wait to return. I forgot to mention I have dietary restrictions, I had no worries or issuesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!GoodTimesDined on 11/4/2014Food and ambience were fantastic, and the service was excellent. A friend and I stayed for quite awhile, and we never felt rushed. In fact, quite the opposite. Will definitely return. Great place for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surpriseThatguyoverthereDined on 10/17/2014I was looking for a restaurant with reservations on a busy Friday night in Chestnut Hill. This was a perfect surprise. Thai fusion food done nicely in a contemporary setting. I was fooled by the picture of the bar and didn't realize it was a BYOB, but found the wine and spirits store directly across the patio from their outdoor seating. It's on a side street, hidden with the entrance facing a very convenient parking lot. And convenient to check out the rest of Chestnut Hill after dinner. Looking forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Thai restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/17/2014This was our first time at Tahi Kuu but it will not be our last! The atmosphere and service was terrific. The food was simply spectacular! There were six of us and we each ordered something different. We were all extremely happy with our choices.Special Features:
- Great Food. Uninspired StaffFoodJunkieVIPDined on 10/6/2014This BYOB is worth the trip for food and the prices are good. The service based on my four or five visits is lacking. I felt like I was getting in the way of the wait staff's "media time". The spring rolls were great and the whole fish dish very good.Special Features:
- Delicious lunch with friendsdry2Dined on 10/2/2014I met up with friends for another delicious lunch. The food was delicious. The service outstanding. We were not rushed and were able to sit and talk for long after we finished our meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/1/2014I've been to this restaurant several times and bring friends to try it. Everyone raves about the food. It is a great restaurant, by the way a BYOB which makes it even more attractive. When weather permits, it is lovely to sit outside and enjoy the food and the environment.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!NewZagats2VIPDined on 9/28/2014Get the lunch special (only 9$ ) for shrimp, in Panang coconut sauce, and remember to say to leave out the peppers… and get the side for only 3.95, for the strangest name, that actually means shrimp shui mai… it scones with a great salad and you could eat ten of those! … for dessert get the warm sticky coconut sweet rice with mangos and sesame seeds, to split. It's large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The décor at Thai Kuu is simply elegant and comfy. It isn't often that you can find this combination in a neighbourhood restaurant. The food is wonderful; service attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Delicious food and wonderful service. My first time having Thai food and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai-rificBBrunoVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was outstanding! BYOB There is a great wine shop right next door. Parking on site. In a quaint little town. "Chestnut Hill" A perfect night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 167 reviews are from the Thai Kuu reviews archive.
- Father's Day MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Took my husband to Thai Kuu for Father's Day. He ordered a duck entree that sat in half a pineapple. More than 50% of his duck was all FAT. Had he not eaten an appetizer, he would have still been hungry based on the amount of his duck he was unable to eat. All we received from our server was "the chef sends his apologizes." The restaurant did not offer to comp his meal nor did they offer an opportunity for them to try to try make it up to my husband with perhaps a gift card to come back some time in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/6/2014Food is very good and we love dining outside. Great BYO with reasonable prices and friendly service.Special Features:
- Keeps getting better!!samsonVIPDined on 5/30/2014This resturant keeps getting better! The blackened sea bass was crisped and moist. The soup (wanton) was delicious broth with fresh shrimp and vegetables. I also appreciate perfect Thai iced coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/28/2014The waiter was fantastic. If they could only get a decent cook then maybe we would go back. The Pad Thai my go to dish to assess this cuisine was greasy and tasteless with slices of room temperature too old duck. The only decent dish out of two appetizers and two entrees we had was the tempura squid and it is almost impossible to mess that up.
- Good foodDeliciousDined on 5/24/2014Good food and nice ambivance....too noisy on Sat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!TormsDined on 5/24/2014Our second visit and we were not disappointed!! Y U M!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai Kuu -Vegan & Gluten FreeGFflamingoDined on 5/13/2014Overall, the service that we received was perfect - very attentive. The atmosphere was calm and romantic, but it was a weeknight.... The food, was alright. In my opinion, all the dishes needed more flavor! http://gf-flamingo.blogspot.com/2014/05/gluten-free-vegan-visit-to-thai-kuu.htmlSpecial Features:
- Great spot in Chestnut HillFantasticFoxDined on 5/11/2014My girlfriend loves hot rock cooking (which I had never experienced before), so we found Thai Kuu in Chestnut Hill. I have to say it was an amazing experience and I'm hooked. We have been back several times since our first dining experience and have had excellent food and service every time. Besides the hot rock, they have a great Asian inspired menu that can stand up with some of the greats in center city Philadelphia. If you haven't tried it yet, don't wait, go. Oh and don't forget the wine. Love a good BYOB!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Dine here, EVEReamestwinDined on 5/2/2014I took my husband here for his Birthday & it was awful. The person who called to confirm our reservation saw it was my hubby's Bday & said we would be given a "seat with a view" & they would do a special dessert for him too. There was no "Special view", or special bday dessert. We waited 1 hour 30 mins for our APPETIZER. Only after I went in to speak to a manager to find out what the hell was going on. The server & the manager kind of went off on each other pointing fingers at who was to blame. I wish we had just left, the food was cold, as if it had just been reheated from the freezer. The rice paper on the spring rolls were rubbery like they had been made days before (like at a grocery store.) I love a good BYOB but this place sucks.
- Keeps getting betterJSENCVIPDined on 4/24/2014The food keeps getting better and the prices remain reasonable. This is now one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants.Special Features:
- Flavorful foodMONEDined on 4/19/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Thai Kuu this past Saturday night. The Penang Curry and the Pad Kee Maon were so flavorful and perfectly cooked, with just enough "kick" without being over the top. Our server, Twee, was attentive, respectful, and personable. We look forward to returning!Special Features:
- Delicious!MaryVIPDined on 4/12/2014The food was very flavorful, fresh and delicious. Service friendly. The website indicates they have Gluten Free food. My daughter has celiac's disease, so we requested a Gluten Free Menu. They did not have GF menu, but do offer some GF dishes.Special Features:
- PleasantMysteryriderVIPDined on 4/6/2014The food was terrific, but the young woman who was the hostess and waitress needs an attitude adjustment. When asked if a change could be made, her response was “I don't want to get into an argument with the cook”. She could have simply said that she would ask. When we arrived, she could not find our reservation and simply expected us to accept that. When I showed her our confirmation, she suddenly found it. She does not go out of her way. She should not be in an industry where empathy to the customer is important.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014A friend and I tried this place on a whim and the food was superb. Try the fish cooked on a rock, pretty cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseDiner67Dined on 3/28/2014Coconut allergies and Thai food are generally not synonymous but at Thai Kuu, there was a good variety of non coconut dishes to choose from and all the ones I had were delicious. I definitely recommend Thai Kuu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seating was too close, otherwiseFoodieDined on 3/26/2014seating was too close, otherwise a great experience!Special Features:
- Food is amazing!! Must havesOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/22/2014Food is amazing!! Must haves are the thai crispy golden bags, the edamame dumplings and any of the pad thai's. But everything on menu is delicious!! Prices are so reasonable too! We keep going back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/18/2014The specials are always amazing and it's the best Thai in Chestnut Hill.Special Features:
- Good food & decent service,RealFoodLoverDined on 3/15/2014Good food & decent service, just make sure you have a reservation, as several folk attempted to walk in and had trouble getting a good spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Panang Coconut CurryNewZagats2VIPDined on 3/13/2014Loved the Panang Coconut curry with seafood my friend got and the cocnut soup special… an coconut sticky rice and mangoI would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.foxieladyDined on 3/7/2014The food was fabulous. We could talk at our table but not hear the table next to us. Due to the windows all around, everyone had a view instead of looking at a wall. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyMikeVIPDined on 3/7/2014My Panang curry was great! Thicker than I've had elsewhere and the rice was a tad mushy, not like the long grained Thai rice I've had other places. The service was great, and the place is small and a little right but very nice. It's a good mix between cultural and modern design/decor. I will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai Kuu first timerLovetoDineDined on 2/26/2014I had mid-week date-night dinner at Thai Kuu. The ambiance is very nice and the fact that it is a BYOB made it a top-pick. As a pescetarian, I was initially disturbed by the fact that the Kanum Jeeb (Shrimp Shumai) includes chicken- that fact is not mentioned on the menu, it just happened to come up in conversation with the server. I found the service to be very reactive, rather than proactive (ex. information about "cooking on the rock" had to be requested rather than offered, we never received the chop sticks we requested, and we had to pour our own wine although we were charged a corking fee). Although all the food that is cooked on the rock is served uncooked, everyone who arrived after us was served prior. I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Tight but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014The seating was pretty cramped, overheard conversations from every table. Food was delicious. Service was standard.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, terrible serviceACP2Dined on 2/14/2014The space is small but decorated very cute. The food was very good, I would go back just for the food. Our service was terrible. We asked our waiter 3 times to open our wine for us and after 10 mins of him chatting at the bar we had to ask someone else. Also towards the end of the night when the party of 4 next to us left and a party of 2 replaced them, our waiter moved over the extra table to give the new party more space but didn't even recognize our space issues. I was really upset by this. I would go back but not have Chris as our waiter.Special Features:
- Great Thai BYOB. Staff veryNormanVIPDined on 1/31/2014Great Thai BYOB. Staff very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Late Saturday Night DinnerkymberleyDined on 1/25/2014We had a late reservation on a Saturday night. This is an extremely small restaurant, about twenty tables. We were originally seated next to a group of 8, but my boyfriend asked that we be moved to a quieter table. Then we were able to have a conversation. Our waitress was helpful, but even though she confirmed my boyfriend ordered a calamari appetizer, he did not receive it, after checking with her, she admitted she did not put it in, as she did not remember him ordering it. We shared my seafood bisque, which was great. We enjoyed our both our Pad Thai and Seafood Bass entrees, we were full but not stuffed. Our dessert, Ginger Creme Brulee, was good, but on the small side. We enjoyed our dinner, but do not need to hurry back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.