35 Bethlehem Pike
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thaikuu.com/
- Phone: 2672975715
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday, Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tanawat Nontakarn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Patio heaters for outdoor dining
A word from Thai Kuu
Experience authentic Thai fusion in our own chic environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thai Kuu reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (14)great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (9)special occasion (8)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The décor at Thai Kuu is simply elegant and comfy. It isn't often that you can find this combination in a neighbourhood restaurant. The food is wonderful; service attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Delicious food and wonderful service. My first time having Thai food and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai-rificBBrunoDined on 8/15/2014The food was outstanding! BYOB There is a great wine shop right next door. Parking on site. In a quaint little town. "Chestnut Hill" A perfect night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Took my husband to Thai Kuu for Father's Day. He ordered a duck entree that sat in half a pineapple. More than 50% of his duck was all FAT. Had he not eaten an appetizer, he would have still been hungry based on the amount of his duck he was unable to eat. All we received from our server was "the chef sends his apologizes." The restaurant did not offer to comp his meal nor did they offer an opportunity for them to try to try make it up to my husband with perhaps a gift card to come back some time in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/6/2014Food is very good and we love dining outside. Great BYO with reasonable prices and friendly service.Special Features:
- Keeps getting better!!samsonVIPDined on 5/30/2014This resturant keeps getting better! The blackened sea bass was crisped and moist. The soup (wanton) was delicious broth with fresh shrimp and vegetables. I also appreciate perfect Thai iced coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/28/2014The waiter was fantastic. If they could only get a decent cook then maybe we would go back. The Pad Thai my go to dish to assess this cuisine was greasy and tasteless with slices of room temperature too old duck. The only decent dish out of two appetizers and two entrees we had was the tempura squid and it is almost impossible to mess that up.
- Good foodDeliciousDined on 5/24/2014Good food and nice ambivance....too noisy on Sat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!TormsDined on 5/24/2014Our second visit and we were not disappointed!! Y U M!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 160 reviews are from the Thai Kuu reviews archive.
- Thai Kuu -Vegan & Gluten FreeGFflamingoDined on 5/13/2014Overall, the service that we received was perfect - very attentive. The atmosphere was calm and romantic, but it was a weeknight.... The food, was alright. In my opinion, all the dishes needed more flavor! http://gf-flamingo.blogspot.com/2014/05/gluten-free-vegan-visit-to-thai-kuu.htmlSpecial Features:
- Great spot in Chestnut HillFantasticFoxDined on 5/11/2014My girlfriend loves hot rock cooking (which I had never experienced before), so we found Thai Kuu in Chestnut Hill. I have to say it was an amazing experience and I'm hooked. We have been back several times since our first dining experience and have had excellent food and service every time. Besides the hot rock, they have a great Asian inspired menu that can stand up with some of the greats in center city Philadelphia. If you haven't tried it yet, don't wait, go. Oh and don't forget the wine. Love a good BYOB!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Dine here, EVEReamestwinDined on 5/2/2014I took my husband here for his Birthday & it was awful. The person who called to confirm our reservation saw it was my hubby's Bday & said we would be given a "seat with a view" & they would do a special dessert for him too. There was no "Special view", or special bday dessert. We waited 1 hour 30 mins for our APPETIZER. Only after I went in to speak to a manager to find out what the hell was going on. The server & the manager kind of went off on each other pointing fingers at who was to blame. I wish we had just left, the food was cold, as if it had just been reheated from the freezer. The rice paper on the spring rolls were rubbery like they had been made days before (like at a grocery store.) I love a good BYOB but this place sucks.
- Keeps getting betterJSENCDined on 4/24/2014The food keeps getting better and the prices remain reasonable. This is now one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants.Special Features:
- Flavorful foodMONEDined on 4/19/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Thai Kuu this past Saturday night. The Penang Curry and the Pad Kee Maon were so flavorful and perfectly cooked, with just enough "kick" without being over the top. Our server, Twee, was attentive, respectful, and personable. We look forward to returning!Special Features:
- Delicious!MaryDined on 4/12/2014The food was very flavorful, fresh and delicious. Service friendly. The website indicates they have Gluten Free food. My daughter has celiac's disease, so we requested a Gluten Free Menu. They did not have GF menu, but do offer some GF dishes.Special Features:
- PleasantMysteryriderVIPDined on 4/6/2014The food was terrific, but the young woman who was the hostess and waitress needs an attitude adjustment. When asked if a change could be made, her response was “I don't want to get into an argument with the cook”. She could have simply said that she would ask. When we arrived, she could not find our reservation and simply expected us to accept that. When I showed her our confirmation, she suddenly found it. She does not go out of her way. She should not be in an industry where empathy to the customer is important.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014A friend and I tried this place on a whim and the food was superb. Try the fish cooked on a rock, pretty cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseDiner67Dined on 3/28/2014Coconut allergies and Thai food are generally not synonymous but at Thai Kuu, there was a good variety of non coconut dishes to choose from and all the ones I had were delicious. I definitely recommend Thai Kuu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seating was too close, otherwiseFoodieDined on 3/26/2014seating was too close, otherwise a great experience!Special Features:
- Food is amazing!! Must havesOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/22/2014Food is amazing!! Must haves are the thai crispy golden bags, the edamame dumplings and any of the pad thai's. But everything on menu is delicious!! Prices are so reasonable too! We keep going back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/18/2014The specials are always amazing and it's the best Thai in Chestnut Hill.Special Features:
- Good food & decent service,RealFoodLoverDined on 3/15/2014Good food & decent service, just make sure you have a reservation, as several folk attempted to walk in and had trouble getting a good spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Panang Coconut CurryNewZagats2VIPDined on 3/13/2014Loved the Panang Coconut curry with seafood my friend got and the cocnut soup special… an coconut sticky rice and mangoI would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.foxieladyDined on 3/7/2014The food was fabulous. We could talk at our table but not hear the table next to us. Due to the windows all around, everyone had a view instead of looking at a wall. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyMikeVIPDined on 3/7/2014My Panang curry was great! Thicker than I've had elsewhere and the rice was a tad mushy, not like the long grained Thai rice I've had other places. The service was great, and the place is small and a little right but very nice. It's a good mix between cultural and modern design/decor. I will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai Kuu first timerLovetoDineDined on 2/26/2014I had mid-week date-night dinner at Thai Kuu. The ambiance is very nice and the fact that it is a BYOB made it a top-pick. As a pescetarian, I was initially disturbed by the fact that the Kanum Jeeb (Shrimp Shumai) includes chicken- that fact is not mentioned on the menu, it just happened to come up in conversation with the server. I found the service to be very reactive, rather than proactive (ex. information about "cooking on the rock" had to be requested rather than offered, we never received the chop sticks we requested, and we had to pour our own wine although we were charged a corking fee). Although all the food that is cooked on the rock is served uncooked, everyone who arrived after us was served prior. I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Tight but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014The seating was pretty cramped, overheard conversations from every table. Food was delicious. Service was standard.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, terrible serviceACP2Dined on 2/14/2014The space is small but decorated very cute. The food was very good, I would go back just for the food. Our service was terrible. We asked our waiter 3 times to open our wine for us and after 10 mins of him chatting at the bar we had to ask someone else. Also towards the end of the night when the party of 4 next to us left and a party of 2 replaced them, our waiter moved over the extra table to give the new party more space but didn't even recognize our space issues. I was really upset by this. I would go back but not have Chris as our waiter.Special Features:
- Great Thai BYOB. Staff veryNormanVIPDined on 1/31/2014Great Thai BYOB. Staff very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Late Saturday Night DinnerkymberleyDined on 1/25/2014We had a late reservation on a Saturday night. This is an extremely small restaurant, about twenty tables. We were originally seated next to a group of 8, but my boyfriend asked that we be moved to a quieter table. Then we were able to have a conversation. Our waitress was helpful, but even though she confirmed my boyfriend ordered a calamari appetizer, he did not receive it, after checking with her, she admitted she did not put it in, as she did not remember him ordering it. We shared my seafood bisque, which was great. We enjoyed our both our Pad Thai and Seafood Bass entrees, we were full but not stuffed. Our dessert, Ginger Creme Brulee, was good, but on the small side. We enjoyed our dinner, but do not need to hurry back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New Favorite RestaurantSnarthDined on 1/3/2014This is the best Tai Restraunt in the area, hands down. Endamame dumplings, and tempura calamari are one of a kind appetizers and not to be missed. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. It is BYOB so don't forget to bring your favorite beer or wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even with New Year's eve crowdgoodDined on 12/31/2013Even with New Year's eve crowd food was outstanding, as usual.Special Features:
- When we walked in and sawOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/28/2013When we walked in and saw the menu, we were expecting a great dinner in a lovely environment. Unfortunately, the food did not live up to expectations. The "hot rock" mixed seafood special arrived about 10 minutes after the other entree, and the stone (supposed to be 700 degrees) was not hot enough to cook anything. The food had to go back to the kitchen to be cooked, resulting in overcooked fish and undercooked scallops. On the other hand, the salmon roulade was uniformly overcooked.
- The food was spectacular.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013The food was spectacular. However, an overcrowded table next to us (three people on one side of a booth) was noisy and made it difficult to communicate to our server and to each other. Luckily, they were finishing up as we started.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I met friends for lunch todry2Dined on 12/20/2013I met friends for lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday. Everyone loved the food and service and the ambience. Three drove a distance just to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/15/2013It's great to find a decent Thai restaurant. I also love that it's BYOB. Nice size portions and very well prepared. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAlexisDined on 12/13/2013We got to Thai Kuu all the time and always have a fantastic time. The food is the best Thai I've ever had and the atmosphere is chic cute. BYO which only adds to the perfection!Special Features:
- fair to midlandshellDined on 11/24/2013The ambiance at Thia Kuu is very lovely and warm (it was very blustery outside) however, the food was just fair. I ordered Chicken Pad Thai and it was very bland (very few added ingredients that really make the Pad Thai good, like eggs, peanuts, scallions, etc)- and more expensive than at other Thai restaurants. My friend ordered Sea Bass to be self cooked on a hot rock as did another customer at the same time. The aroma of the searing fish was actually unappetizing and because the lights were low, my friend couldn't tell if the fish was cooked. Another friend ordered the steak teriyaki medium well and it came out slightly rare. But the environment was welcoming with a very good waitress.
- A swanky gem in Chestnut HillOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/19/2013I absolutely LOVE bringing my friends here for lunch and dinner! The food is always fresh, delicious and the service is good if it’s not too busy. I recently had a masquerade party of 80 to 100 people and (Thai Kuu catered some of my favorites dishes) – and, everyone noted the food as being outstanding. You can't go wrong choosing this hotspot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavormilanDined on 11/15/2013We started with the special cauliflower saffron soup with seafood and it was delicious. although I expected a little more texture from the cauliflower, it was still a good creamy soup. The crispy duck purses were really good, the water chestnuts were the perfect crunch inside. We also had the seafood salad and the dressing was SO spicy. I love some heat in my food but this was almost unbearably spicy. We had the massamon curry with beef and the pad ping karee with seafood. The seafood was cooked perfectly and the curry was creamy and sweet from the coconut milk. The beef was tender as well, and the peanut curry was addicting! Good place overall, plus it's a byob so that's always a great thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.