349 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tessanyc.com/
- Phone: 2123901974x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Wednesday: 5:30pm to 11pm
Thursday through Sunday: 5:30pm to Midnight
Lunch: Monday through Friday
11:30am - 3pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday
11am - 3pm
3pm - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Cedric Tovar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Tessa
A modern tavern with Mediterranean roots, TESSA blends southern French and Italian cuisine from Executive Chef Cedric Tovar in a setting designed by critically acclaimed Paul Masi of Bates Masi Architects.Continued
*We apologize, but our dining area's do not accomodate Highchairs, Booster Seats, or Strollers.
*We apologize, but our dining area's do not accomodate Highchairs, Booster Seats, or Strollers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tessa reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (89)fit for foodies (87)vibrant bar scene (40)hot spot (39)notable wine list (35)special occasion (34)romantic (32)good for groups (27)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (16)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- nice placeloverestaurantsVIPDined on 10/12/2014We had Sunday brunch. Delicious food, nice atmosphere, pleasant decor. But the service was excruciatingly slow. The waiter was very nice, but it took almost 25 minutes to get a cup of coffee, and that's just too long. I guess the staff just assumed that if people were there for Sunday brunch, they had nowhere else to go. They need to speed it up a bit. Nevertheless, we will go back. It's worth it. But next time we'll have a cup of coffee before we leave home.Special Features:
- excellent addition to neighborhoodbicoastaldinerDined on 10/8/2014My dining companion and I both had the bouillabaisse, which was good, although not amazing. The wine list is extensive and I should note that they have a happy hour (4-6) that I head for when timing permits. The restaurant opened about six months ago and the decor is inventive (steel grates mixed with exposed brick and great soft lighting) with nice music. I like this place a lot and have had excellent dinners here (mostly fish) over the past several months. The staff are very friendly and on top of their game.Special Features:
- annabCTDined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed our meals very much! The ambiance & design were fabulous. Excellent wait staff, gave us lots of attention.Special Features:
- foodieDined on 10/3/2014A lovely evening: very good food and interesting menu.Special Features:
- Really goodIvanaSsDined on 10/2/2014Interesting menu, not something youre used to. Definitely will be back. Service attentive and you can feel good staff management which is a plus. Food delicious and ambiance a perfection! Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian ++ on upper west sideOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014I needed a restaurant near the Beacon and was very pleasantly surprised by the food; wine list and one of the nicest staff at a restaurant in NYC. Friendly from the guy pouring the water to the waiter to the Sommelier who described the Italian wine list perfectly and helped me pick out an usual and fabulous Mount Etna red. Nice selection of larger entries and for me who likes to try lots of things but smaller plates they had that too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome addition to the UWSJaseyDined on 9/27/2014Interesting cocktails. Food was good if not a little pricey. Nice atmosphere. Will try it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWS GemPleasantlySurprisedDined on 9/22/2014Had a surprisingly good meal the other night with friends. The UWS is not known for "fit for foodies" restaurants, but Tessa was truly outstanding. Will definitely be back! Highly recommend the scallop rissoto. Also, there is a semi-private back room that is great for a larger party.Special Features:
- Welcome neighborhood gem!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Fantastic food, wonderful service and ambience. We are so thrilled that Tessa opened in our UWS neighborhood!! The husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Tessa this past weekend with the Cote de Boeuf for 2 - it was seasoned and cooked perfectly and served with its own silky gravy, delicious buttery garlic mashed potato puree and sautéed heirloom squash. We were in heaven. Our waiter was delightfully professional, well informed and warm and later surprised us with a beautiful dessert plate complete with a chocolate inscription of Happy Anniversary - who does that?!? The owner came by to say hello as well as the sommelier. The evening was wonderful. We have also enjoyed delicious drinks, apps and casual dinners at the bar. Don't wait!!Special Features:
- Had an awesome timeMellieSueDined on 9/19/2014Tessa has the most innovative, creative menu that really works. Nothing was boring and the staff was very attentive. Loved it!Special Features:
- restuarant was outstandingElvisDined on 9/19/2014It wad our first visit so we were hoping it was as good as the reviews. We started with the tuna wrapped in apple slices, uhmmmm. Next course was artic char and a lobster penne dish. Both were fabulous. Our server was very good and listened when we let him know we were going to a show and needed to be done by a certain time. Even the folks that brought us bread, water and cleared our plates were attentive and good. My only minor complaint was the seats were a bit hard. Thanks for making our firstvisit sspecial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backvanycDined on 9/19/2014If I lived on the UWS, I would head to Tessa at least once a month and hopefully more often. The food was excellent and the staff was knowledgeable, attentive and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved loved loved itmdb35VIPDined on 9/18/2014Finally an uptown restaurant that has a downtown vibe. Every aspect of this place was awesome: the food, the decor, the service, and again, the food. Even if this place was located in a back alley broom closet, I would go back for the food. One of the best meals I've had in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go back!QLimogesVIPDined on 9/18/2014Found this place on the UWS and can't wait to go back. Everything was great. We sat outside (beautiful night), but the inside is elegant and beautiful. A new gem! Tell everyone who needs a great restaurant on the UWS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new upper west-side placeShw21Dined on 9/17/2014Tessa is a new restaurant on Amsterdam and 77th. This neighborhood has many good restaurants but Tessa is one of the best. Begin with a plate to share with the table. We had some great American cheeses. We really appreciated the appetizers since they can also be gotten in a small or a dinner portion. (My wife and I think that restaurant portions are often too large.) The restaurant has kept some of the brick walls from the original building making it a great but intimate room. Great service and a wine list with a wide variety of prices.Special Features:
- Excellent foodUWSfoodieDined on 9/15/2014The food was delicious at this UpperWest Side Mediterranean gem. I started with the Braised Pork Belly. It was tender and the sauce was really flavorful. For a main course I had the monk fish, which also had great flavor and cooked perfectly. My dining companion had the tomato salad and chicken and was very happy with his choices. The service was ok, but could have been more attentive for a restaurant that was crowded, but no where near packed. I also had a problem with the wine. It was a big glass that was filled to less than a quarter and I drank in two sips. It should have been filled a bit higher. Overall, it was a pleasant meal and experienceSpecial Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICEsydney8888Dined on 9/14/2014I booked the reservation with opentable, however the reservation was lost in cyberspace. Tessa was very accommodative and seated us right away. The food and service was excellent. I did not know if I received my points from opentable, since the reservation was lost.Special Features:
- TessaGraciellaluv2eatDined on 9/8/2014This was a terrific meal and service could not have been better. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great food; outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014We had brunch at Tessa for my mother's 80th bday. The food and service were impeccable. Highlight for my mother was the waiter's head-turning rendition of "Happy Birthday," which he sang astoundingly. She was weepy with happiness. The food was great, from the poached eggs to the burger I gobbled, and the bloody Mary went down way too quickly. Really wished we could've just stayed on for dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, chilly atmosphereTerboyVIPDined on 8/29/2014We are constantly on the hunt for good places to eat on the Upper West Side, so were happy to read such fine reviews of Tessa. Our initial impression wasn't great since we were kept waiting for almost fifteen minutes. The staff, however, was solicitous, offering us drinks. Our food was fabulous which made up for the annoying waiter who had so many food allergies that he couldn't make a recommendation. I particularly recommend the tomato and watermelon salad. The biggest challenge was the air conditioning which was turned up so high that all the patrons who had dressed for a warm evening were shivering. I would go back, but I'd dress in layers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014The food was good, the service excellent , and a pretty place. But a large group came in and were very noisy.
- Great addition to the neighborhood.SunnyNYCVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great upscale yet relaxed addition to the neighborhood. Very noisy, which I didn't like, but friendly, which I did like. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss TessaannaliceVIPDined on 8/23/2014Tessa has been open for about 5.5 months at this writing. Based on recommend from someone who lives nearby, had brunch with a friend and am impressed. Their menu is deceiving -- there's much more to it than you might believe at first glance. Pastries and breads are baked in house and are a rave. Fantastic. Eggs are perfectly cooked -- had eggs benedict and omelette. Nice side salads to accompany. Just the right amount of attention at the table. Love the energy and passion of the staff. Great décor. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- casual dining for localshubbydaddyDined on 8/21/2014Good burger and beer. Friendly service. Vibrant ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristyOVIPDined on 8/17/2014Great addition to the Upper West Side! My husband and i have been twice in the last two weeks. Servers are "up' on the menu and the owner and general manager make their rounds during dinner to ensure everyone is happy. Great food, great service. Prices are a bit steep for certain entrees but delicious so you get what you pay forSpecial Features:
- Love TessaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014What a wonderful restaurant to have here on the UWS! Great food, great drinks and really great service. I go at least once a week!Special Features:
- great upper-west findkittykatDined on 8/13/2014We had a great meal. The monkfish, charcuterie, and desserts were all amazing. A must try!Special Features:
- Glad this is in the neighborhoodsdinnycDined on 8/12/2014Very good food and interesting menu. Bar is big and really good -- i like eating there better than in back in the restaurant. Service it friendly and relaxed but very good. They remember regulars. The bar is lively and a neighborhood scene, This place is busy most nights and until fairly late. For good reason-- among the best in vicinity and new. Is a bit too loud, but that is kind of the norm for popular restaurants on the upper west side.Special Features:
- Disappointing steak fritesJeffDined on 7/31/2014I've waited a while to write this because I didn't want to write anything too harsh. Overall had a nice evening. The others in my party enjoyed their food. I was disappointed in the steak frites because I was very specific to inquire whether this was traditional french bistro steak frites. He assured me they were but in fact they were not. The fries were not hot and had to be sent back. It did take a while for the order to be redone. And sadly they were more like steak fries, not thin crunchy ones that you would expect. The waiter and the manager didn't seem to care at all about my disappointment and in fact, the manager was fairly arrogant at the thought of pleasing the customer. If I return we won't be ordering steak frites.
- good food little portionssyoung07928Dined on 7/26/2014we all loved our food but I could have had 2 plates from brunch menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OishiVIPDined on 7/25/2014Waiter had a bit of an attitude. We could have done without that.Special Features:
- loved it!kerrvictorisDined on 7/23/2014A great place all around, excellent interiors, great wines and special drinks, menu and daily specials offered. Had the chilled white asparagus soup and the linguini (vegetarian), my friend had the lamb and the heirloom tomato salad. All excellent. A place you could always be happy going to as a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisyasdalDined on 7/23/2014Tables are comfortable, noise level makes conversation difficult. Food can be vary, very good one night and so-so another night. Good wine list. I have had well done meals and not so good, there is a lack of consistency. I think they are trying to serve as many as possible at the expense of the consistency of what the kitchen can handle.Special Features:
- Too expensive and small portions!CmskVIPDined on 7/23/2014While the food here is very good, the prices are quite high for the neighborhood. That would be ok if the portions weren't so tiny. The wine pours are ridiculous, a thimble full! And the noise is very loud.. Service was well meaning, but unless the price/ value ration changes, we will not return.Special Features:
- Too noisy. Too ordinary.MrNoisePoliceDined on 7/23/2014Ordered a hamburger which may not have been a fair test of their skills. Hamburger was fine as were the fries. Adequate. ordinary. Nothing special. "Energetic" as a noise category is cynically euphemistic. Where do you come off offering that as a choice? How about obnoxiously loud!. Not the restaurant's fault necessarily. My fellow dinners at other tables are ill-mannered and childlike which was the source of the noise. Like silly high school girls except older. Attractive decor.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/22/2014We had dinner before a concert at the Beacon. Food was very tasty with portion options for pasta dishes which enabled everyone to have an appetizer and entree. Service was also excellent; attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to love it, but I liked it.romanVIPDined on 7/19/2014Was excited to finally go as this place is hopping. Very nice atmosphere, a little loud. Food was a touch too high end. As my husbands appetizer arrived it was good but he said"I never wake up and crave foam". That kind of says it all, might be a bit too foodie for the upper west side, but it was busy. Service was a bit overbearing. Won't be running back to eat buts nice place for a drink.Special Features:
- 2nd time was not the charmPDubsNYCVIPDined on 7/17/2014This was our 2nd timing dining at Tessa for dinner. The first time, we ate dinner at the bar, which I highly recommend. The service was excellent and prompt. This time was a completely different story. We sat in the back, which is extremely noisy...bad acoustics. Our server took our order and then came back to confirm my entree. Low and behold the entree came out incorrect and instead of taking the rabbit off the table, he left it there for us to stare at. We had to get up and ask the manager to take it away about 10 mins later. The manager did comp one round of drinks but never apologized for his sever's ineptitude, given that we re-confirmed our 1 entree that we were sharing. Food, however, is excellent; we'll dine at bar next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food serviceFlushingguyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Food was superb service excellent good wine list. Very noisy with groups of young women shrieking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tessa is TerrificwendalaVIPDined on 7/16/2014I have been there 4 times and the food is consistent.. I had everything from fish to a fabu hamburger.. and this great pats with lobster which is unreal!!! I have been in a large group and small group and each time wanting to come back!Special Features: