349 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tessanyc.com/
- Phone: 2123901974x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Wednesday: 5:30pm to 11pm
Thursday through Sunday: 5:30pm to Midnight
Lunch: Monday through Friday
11:30am - 3pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday
11am - 3pm
3pm - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Cedric Tovar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Tessa
A modern tavern with Mediterranean roots, TESSA blends southern French and Italian cuisine from Executive Chef Cedric Tovar in a setting designed by critically acclaimed Paul Masi of Bates Masi Architects.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tessa reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)neighborhood gem (88)vibrant bar scene (42)special occasion (34)notable wine list (34)romantic (32)hot spot (31)good for groups (28)great for brunch (21)great for lunch (15)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014The food was delicious at this UpperWest Side Mediterranean gem. I started with the Braised Pork Belly. It was tender and the sauce was really flavorful. For a main course I had the monk fish, which also had great flavor and cooked perfectly. My dining companion had the tomato salad and chicken and was very happy with his choices. The service was ok, but could have been more attentive for a restaurant that was crowded, but no where near packed. I also had a problem with the wine. It was a big glass that was filled to less than a quarter and I drank in two sips. It should have been filled a bit higher. Overall, it was a pleasant meal and experienceSpecial Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICEsydney8888Dined on 9/14/2014I booked the reservation with opentable, however the reservation was lost in cyberspace. Tessa was very accommodative and seated us right away. The food and service was excellent. I did not know if I received my points from opentable, since the reservation was lost.Special Features:
- TessaGraciellaluv2eatDined on 9/8/2014This was a terrific meal and service could not have been better. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great food; outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014We had brunch at Tessa for my mother's 80th bday. The food and service were impeccable. Highlight for my mother was the waiter's head-turning rendition of "Happy Birthday," which he sang astoundingly. She was weepy with happiness. The food was great, from the poached eggs to the burger I gobbled, and the bloody Mary went down way too quickly. Really wished we could've just stayed on for dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, chilly atmosphereTerboyVIPDined on 8/29/2014We are constantly on the hunt for good places to eat on the Upper West Side, so were happy to read such fine reviews of Tessa. Our initial impression wasn't great since we were kept waiting for almost fifteen minutes. The staff, however, was solicitous, offering us drinks. Our food was fabulous which made up for the annoying waiter who had so many food allergies that he couldn't make a recommendation. I particularly recommend the tomato and watermelon salad. The biggest challenge was the air conditioning which was turned up so high that all the patrons who had dressed for a warm evening were shivering. I would go back, but I'd dress in layers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014The food was good, the service excellent , and a pretty place. But a large group came in and were very noisy.
- Great addition to the neighborhood.SunnyNYCVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great upscale yet relaxed addition to the neighborhood. Very noisy, which I didn't like, but friendly, which I did like. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss TessaannaliceVIPDined on 8/23/2014Tessa has been open for about 5.5 months at this writing. Based on recommend from someone who lives nearby, had brunch with a friend and am impressed. Their menu is deceiving -- there's much more to it than you might believe at first glance. Pastries and breads are baked in house and are a rave. Fantastic. Eggs are perfectly cooked -- had eggs benedict and omelette. Nice side salads to accompany. Just the right amount of attention at the table. Love the energy and passion of the staff. Great décor. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- casual dining for localshubbydaddyDined on 8/21/2014Good burger and beer. Friendly service. Vibrant ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristyOVIPDined on 8/17/2014Great addition to the Upper West Side! My husband and i have been twice in the last two weeks. Servers are "up' on the menu and the owner and general manager make their rounds during dinner to ensure everyone is happy. Great food, great service. Prices are a bit steep for certain entrees but delicious so you get what you pay forSpecial Features:
- Love TessaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014What a wonderful restaurant to have here on the UWS! Great food, great drinks and really great service. I go at least once a week!Special Features:
- great upper-west findkittykatDined on 8/13/2014We had a great meal. The monkfish, charcuterie, and desserts were all amazing. A must try!Special Features:
- Glad this is in the neighborhoodsdinnycDined on 8/12/2014Very good food and interesting menu. Bar is big and really good -- i like eating there better than in back in the restaurant. Service it friendly and relaxed but very good. They remember regulars. The bar is lively and a neighborhood scene, This place is busy most nights and until fairly late. For good reason-- among the best in vicinity and new. Is a bit too loud, but that is kind of the norm for popular restaurants on the upper west side.Special Features:
- Disappointing steak fritesJeffDined on 7/31/2014I've waited a while to write this because I didn't want to write anything too harsh. Overall had a nice evening. The others in my party enjoyed their food. I was disappointed in the steak frites because I was very specific to inquire whether this was traditional french bistro steak frites. He assured me they were but in fact they were not. The fries were not hot and had to be sent back. It did take a while for the order to be redone. And sadly they were more like steak fries, not thin crunchy ones that you would expect. The waiter and the manager didn't seem to care at all about my disappointment and in fact, the manager was fairly arrogant at the thought of pleasing the customer. If I return we won't be ordering steak frites.
- good food little portionssyoung07928Dined on 7/26/2014we all loved our food but I could have had 2 plates from brunch menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OishiVIPDined on 7/25/2014Waiter had a bit of an attitude. We could have done without that.Special Features:
- loved it!kerrvictorisDined on 7/23/2014A great place all around, excellent interiors, great wines and special drinks, menu and daily specials offered. Had the chilled white asparagus soup and the linguini (vegetarian), my friend had the lamb and the heirloom tomato salad. All excellent. A place you could always be happy going to as a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisyasdalDined on 7/23/2014Tables are comfortable, noise level makes conversation difficult. Food can be vary, very good one night and so-so another night. Good wine list. I have had well done meals and not so good, there is a lack of consistency. I think they are trying to serve as many as possible at the expense of the consistency of what the kitchen can handle.Special Features:
- Too expensive and small portions!CmskVIPDined on 7/23/2014While the food here is very good, the prices are quite high for the neighborhood. That would be ok if the portions weren't so tiny. The wine pours are ridiculous, a thimble full! And the noise is very loud.. Service was well meaning, but unless the price/ value ration changes, we will not return.Special Features:
- Too noisy. Too ordinary.MrNoisePoliceDined on 7/23/2014Ordered a hamburger which may not have been a fair test of their skills. Hamburger was fine as were the fries. Adequate. ordinary. Nothing special. "Energetic" as a noise category is cynically euphemistic. Where do you come off offering that as a choice? How about obnoxiously loud!. Not the restaurant's fault necessarily. My fellow dinners at other tables are ill-mannered and childlike which was the source of the noise. Like silly high school girls except older. Attractive decor.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/22/2014We had dinner before a concert at the Beacon. Food was very tasty with portion options for pasta dishes which enabled everyone to have an appetizer and entree. Service was also excellent; attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to love it, but I liked it.romanVIPDined on 7/19/2014Was excited to finally go as this place is hopping. Very nice atmosphere, a little loud. Food was a touch too high end. As my husbands appetizer arrived it was good but he said"I never wake up and crave foam". That kind of says it all, might be a bit too foodie for the upper west side, but it was busy. Service was a bit overbearing. Won't be running back to eat buts nice place for a drink.Special Features:
- 2nd time was not the charmPDubsNYCVIPDined on 7/17/2014This was our 2nd timing dining at Tessa for dinner. The first time, we ate dinner at the bar, which I highly recommend. The service was excellent and prompt. This time was a completely different story. We sat in the back, which is extremely noisy...bad acoustics. Our server took our order and then came back to confirm my entree. Low and behold the entree came out incorrect and instead of taking the rabbit off the table, he left it there for us to stare at. We had to get up and ask the manager to take it away about 10 mins later. The manager did comp one round of drinks but never apologized for his sever's ineptitude, given that we re-confirmed our 1 entree that we were sharing. Food, however, is excellent; we'll dine at bar next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food serviceFlushingguyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Food was superb service excellent good wine list. Very noisy with groups of young women shrieking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tessa is TerrificwendalaVIPDined on 7/16/2014I have been there 4 times and the food is consistent.. I had everything from fish to a fabu hamburger.. and this great pats with lobster which is unreal!!! I have been in a large group and small group and each time wanting to come back!Special Features:
- Open for Lunch!StraightupVIPDined on 7/14/2014I suggested Tessa for a friend's annual birthday lunch gathering after having had a good/fun dinner weeks before. A table of 4, we were the only ones dining on a Monday at 1 PM. Although we relished the quiet, it was a bit odd to be the seated in the back of a completely empty restaurant. The service, although kind, was a bit off--slow and disorganized--odd considering the place was empty but the lack of rhythm may have put the staff off as well. That being said, the food did not fail to once again be very good and beautifully presented--if a bit fussy for one friend. At the end of our private meal, we all agreed Tessa was a place to return; we just debated if we wanted others to know about the wonderful lunch!
- BrunchMontanaVIPDined on 7/13/2014Should have made a noon reservation instead of 11 AM- that's when they start serving alcohol. They had taken off the French Toast just weeks before I went which had been a driving factor for choosing the place but it was still good overall. The decor is gorgeous. Wish they had a patio or something but it was still an enjoyable meal!Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceMarjorieNYCVIPDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I had been to Tessa twice, but just for a drink at the bar. I was happy to go there last Saturday eve with a friend for dinner and we were very pleased with our experience. Started with a drink at the bar (the bartenders are very friendly and helpful), and then sat down. The staff was so nice and enthusiastic. We share three dishes which were each delicious and done perfectly. We had two special requests and they met them with a smile. The only disappointment was the dessert -- it was too complicated. I also is amazing what the owners did with the space -- it was such a dump before. Congrats to everyone involve with the restaurant. We look forward to returning. Could you pls expand happy hr until 7? :)
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014An excellent place for a wonderful lunch on the UWS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do yourself a favor and go.ScagsDined on 7/9/2014An excellent experience. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. The sommelier was descriptive and accommodating. The food was great. Highlights included the chilled white asparagus soup, the seared diver scallop risotto, the grilled swordfish - and that was just what I ate. I got a taste of the heirloom tomato salad and the sea bass, and both were excellent as well.Special Features:
- Great Food, Much to Loud!DKB77Dined on 7/8/2014Food was very good, unfortunately it was very difficult to hear the person across from me. Moderate size table for four. Needs some sound panels or table cloth to absorb some of the sound. Would recommend IF they fix the problem.Special Features:
- upscale lunchluv2cookVIPDined on 7/8/2014nicelunch ice addition for a quiet upscale lunch in the neighbor hood.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014(+) Online reviews led me here for weeknight dinner. Exc food and interesting menu. I'm not a foodie but know great food when I taste it. Service outstanding. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Yes and noEllenVIPDined on 7/1/2014The heirloom tomato and watermelon salad with basil and lemongrass was great. The mussels were ordinary. The noise level was oppressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish it had been better....3AmigosVIPDined on 6/28/2014A new restaurant in the nabe, we thought we'd try it. But there's a problem here. First, the wait staff seems to be coached to over sell the menu, describing every dish with so many superlatives, that they simply cannot meet the expectation. But to me, the salient aspect of great Mediterranean cuisine is the best of ingredients, simply prepared. Every dish on this menu is so complex, with so many ingredients, that it comes of fussy and pretentious, and not delicious. The restaurant also seems quite expensive to me.
- Welcome to the NeighborhoodPickyEatersDined on 6/27/2014It's rare that my husband and I eat on the Upper West side, despite the fact that we live there. Restaurants like Tessa however are changing that! In the relatively short time since they opened - we've eaten there 3 times, and they remain consistently good to great. The staff is very professional, knowledgable and warm. Very hospitable. The food is creative, tasty and well portioned - the wine list very thoughtful & cocktail menu is also fun and creative.Special Features:
- Maybe just an off night for servicehappy2dineDined on 6/25/2014First time to eat here. Lovely pre-dinner cocktail at the bar. But the service was all over the place. Had three servers - no one seemed in control of our table. Main(?) server could not answer questions about the food, she said it was her second night there. Management should train staff better. A drink I ordered never arrived. Food was good though - a saving grace. I would eat at the bar next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic addition to the UWSMax2VIPDined on 6/24/2014From the outside Tessa doesn't look like much, largely because it is partly obscured by scaffolding. Don't be put off. The bar area is terrific, with space to eat and drink in comfort, but it is the dining area that really impresses. The space is large, but inspired interior design makes it feel intimate. The greeting at the door is warm and professional, the waiters are attentive and knowledgable, and the food is excellent. We were here on a busy week night and the kitchen took the pressure in its stride. Not easy for an established operation, and super impressive for a start up. The menu is refreshingly eclectic; we tried several dishes and found them all to be faultless. We are definitely coming back!!Special Features:
- Best fish preparation everKathDined on 6/22/2014In addition to the delicious and inventive dishes on the menu, this restaurant really knows how to cook fish, and I mean not the standard salmon which is undestructable. They do white fish better than any place I have ever eaten and I travel the world and eat out all the time. Modest but comfy surroundings, this place could be 5star.Special Features:
- great spot to grab a biteljsUWS92VIPDined on 6/21/2014Went with a friend after a really long day of helpingwith some moving-related activities. So, off to Tessa we went b/c we could share plates and there was a good variety of items on the menu that appealed to us both. The restaurant was still pretty crowded at 9:45pm, but it wasn't extremely noisy. The service was good - our server in particular had great suggestions and shared his opinions on the food before we ordered. My friend and I ended up splitting the burrata, the signature salad and the burger - all were really delicious. Nice to have the option to split pasta dishes, but this time we passed up that opportunity. Will go back & recommended Tessa to friends.I would recommend this to a friend.