349 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tessanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 390-1974
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Wednesday: 5:30pm to 11pm
Thursday through Sunday: 5:30pm to Midnight
Lunch: Monday through Friday
11:30am - 3pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday
11am - 3pm
3pm - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Cedric Tovar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Tessa
A modern tavern with Mediterranean roots, TESSA blends southern French and Italian cuisine from Executive Chef Cedric Tovar in a setting designed by critically acclaimed Paul Masi of Bates Masi Architects.Continued
*We apologize, but our dining area's do not accomodate Highchairs, Booster Seats, or Strollers.
*We apologize, but our dining area's do not accomodate Highchairs, Booster Seats, or Strollers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tessa reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (101)fit for foodies (89)vibrant bar scene (49)hot spot (45)special occasion (38)notable wine list (36)good for groups (35)romantic (34)great for brunch (24)great for lunch (15)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Place To dineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/16/2014I Highly recommend this restaurant . The food was a amazing. I Had the best eggs benedict ever . Doesn't even come close to ordering it at a diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm Service, Great FoodMrVivianPIcklesDined on 11/15/2014When the manager greets you with cocktails as a "welcome" back drinks, how can you go wrong? Tessa continues to sail quite high on my UWS "go to" list. The two things that keep me coming back are the warm and just-attentive-enough service as well as inventive and delicious food. Our days as a restaurant wasteland on the UWS are now firmly in the rear-view mirror thanks to restaurants like Tessa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and Inventive KitchenNYWestsiderDined on 11/11/2014Yes, the décor and ambiance are very attractive and the service is anticipatory and cheerful.... but the real attraction is the food. The appetizers and entrees are varied and inventive, combining tastes and textures that are often unusual and delicious. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Tessa to earn its Michelin star..... in the meantime, savor the experience while you do not yet need to make a reservation two weeks in advance.....Special Features:
- Great addition to the neighborhoodHereshowitwasDined on 11/8/2014This was my second time at Tessa and both times I had excellent service and great food. The restaurant's decor and atmosphere great.Special Features:
- great addition to neighborhoodNYDinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014Good food, good service, good ambiance. Wine a bit pricey, but overall wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationswildalloysDined on 11/5/2014My dinner at Tessa with my mom and brother was more than I could've expected. The food was KILLER. Really, really good. I had the arctic char over a squash puree and it was both healthy and delicious. The server was amazing. We were having a difficult family discussion and the staff was both attentive and respectful. Water glasses were always full, napkins were folded when we stepped away, generally the whole experience functioned just as it should and was really wonderful. One note on noise, the space is loud... people end up shouting because the acoustics are such that sound just gets absorbed into the brick walls. This was fine for us, but an FYI for those who are noise-sensitive. The ambience was beautiful, very modern & chic interior.Special Features:
- noisydisappointedVIPDined on 11/5/2014While the food was good, the service was awkward and stilted...Perhaps the newness is a factor, but the hostess was inept in seating us...we were asked to change our table for no apparent reason although the entire row of twos was empty... a really dumb move that did not endear the restaurant to us. .....there will be no return visitSpecial Features:
- Good, but pls inform your staffMarjorieNYCVIPDined on 11/4/2014I've been a couple of times.They did a great job renovating & the food is very good, but pricey so we don't go often.Our lunch was delicious & we lingered without the staff caring, which was great. My husband & I often go to the local establishments like Tangled Vine or Tolani during their happy hr (which goes until 7) & linger for dinner.I thought Tessa would also be good for that.When I left I asked the hostess about their it--she was very nice & showed me the drink & food menu that's on special betw 4-6 (too early!). She encouraged me to come back during those hrs, which I did.I sat at the bar & the bartender told me diff items were on special than the hostess said,& no food was a part of it. She was short about it & I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Gem on the UWShannahjane1127Dined on 10/26/2014The feeling, the food, the service - everything at Tessa feels warm, vibrant, and somehow both cozy and sophisticated. I've been to Tessa for dinner twice now and both times the food was just delightfully good. An outstanding restaurant all around - I'm so glad it's in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Wish it had been quietloverestaurantsVIPDined on 10/26/2014This is a really nice place - well decorated, with a cozy feel. You won't find a more perfectly poached egg anywhere. So the first time we went, the service was painfully slow. The service was better this time, but right next to us, there was a table with 7 people, 2 of them little kids. The little girl, about 2 years old, screamed -- and I mean SCREAMED -- for 2 hours straight. Finally, I had had enough and went over and suggested to the mom that her daughter might need a break. But doesn't it seem as though the management should have done that? It was mid-afternoon, and the restaurant was not crowded. I'm a mom, and I get it. But the whole restaurant shouldn't have to pay good money to listen to it.Special Features:
- great food distractedSandshoesDined on 10/25/2014if you go to a restaurant to eat good food this place is for you the quality and surprisingly the portions are both great and quite ample selection is wide enough that you can certainly find many options why not more stars?? noise level is high which challenges the notion do you want to go where other people go will if you do you have to deal with a high noise level service was quirky and uneven people came to the table and introduced themselves to us and never saw them again for the rest of themeal and it seemed the wait staff had their own agenda through out rather than tuning into what we as diners wanted/needed to make the dining experience both enjoyable and uniqueSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood GemUnhappydinerDined on 10/24/2014We had a great meal at Tessa. The service was very good and the food and presentation were excellent. The problem was $18.00 for a martini? Rediculous.Special Features:
- The West Side as it should be.formerlyfinickyeaterDined on 10/24/2014We (4 diners - 2 NYCers and 2 suburbaners) had no complaints about the food, the ambiance, the service or the incidentals (friendly wait staff, presentation, pricing, etc). From appetizers thru main course thru dessert nothing disappointed (as long time friends, tastes and more of all foods were shared). While the bill was not cheap, for the quality received, it was a bargain. The food/farm-to-table choices were particularly welcomed by this group. We would all recommend TESSA to friends and enemies (it might make them friends!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ninety-FirstfoodventuresDined on 10/19/2014Me and my boyfriend had a memorable experience here at Tessa celebrating our monthsary. The food was incredibly amazing! The service was good and everyone was so friendly and accommodating. The ambiance was relaxing and romantic. Fast service and very nice. I'm happy to celebrate our special occasion here because it was totally worth it! Thank you Tessa!Special Features:
- nice placeloverestaurantsVIPDined on 10/12/2014We had Sunday brunch. Delicious food, nice atmosphere, pleasant decor. But the service was excruciatingly slow. The waiter was very nice, but it took almost 25 minutes to get a cup of coffee, and that's just too long. I guess the staff just assumed that if people were there for Sunday brunch, they had nowhere else to go. They need to speed it up a bit. Nevertheless, we will go back. It's worth it. But next time we'll have a cup of coffee before we leave home.Special Features:
- excellent addition to neighborhoodbicoastaldinerDined on 10/8/2014My dining companion and I both had the bouillabaisse, which was good, although not amazing. The wine list is extensive and I should note that they have a happy hour (4-6) that I head for when timing permits. The restaurant opened about six months ago and the decor is inventive (steel grates mixed with exposed brick and great soft lighting) with nice music. I like this place a lot and have had excellent dinners here (mostly fish) over the past several months. The staff are very friendly and on top of their game.Special Features:
- annabCTDined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed our meals very much! The ambiance & design were fabulous. Excellent wait staff, gave us lots of attention.Special Features:
- foodieDined on 10/3/2014A lovely evening: very good food and interesting menu.Special Features:
- Really goodIvanaSsDined on 10/2/2014Interesting menu, not something youre used to. Definitely will be back. Service attentive and you can feel good staff management which is a plus. Food delicious and ambiance a perfection! Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian ++ on upper west sideMusselsDined on 10/1/2014I needed a restaurant near the Beacon and was very pleasantly surprised by the food; wine list and one of the nicest staff at a restaurant in NYC. Friendly from the guy pouring the water to the waiter to the Sommelier who described the Italian wine list perfectly and helped me pick out an usual and fabulous Mount Etna red. Nice selection of larger entries and for me who likes to try lots of things but smaller plates they had that too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome addition to the UWSJaseyDined on 9/27/2014Interesting cocktails. Food was good if not a little pricey. Nice atmosphere. Will try it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWS GemPleasantlySurprisedDined on 9/22/2014Had a surprisingly good meal the other night with friends. The UWS is not known for "fit for foodies" restaurants, but Tessa was truly outstanding. Will definitely be back! Highly recommend the scallop rissoto. Also, there is a semi-private back room that is great for a larger party.Special Features:
- Welcome neighborhood gem!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Fantastic food, wonderful service and ambience. We are so thrilled that Tessa opened in our UWS neighborhood!! The husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Tessa this past weekend with the Cote de Boeuf for 2 - it was seasoned and cooked perfectly and served with its own silky gravy, delicious buttery garlic mashed potato puree and sautéed heirloom squash. We were in heaven. Our waiter was delightfully professional, well informed and warm and later surprised us with a beautiful dessert plate complete with a chocolate inscription of Happy Anniversary - who does that?!? The owner came by to say hello as well as the sommelier. The evening was wonderful. We have also enjoyed delicious drinks, apps and casual dinners at the bar. Don't wait!!Special Features:
- Had an awesome timeMellieSueDined on 9/19/2014Tessa has the most innovative, creative menu that really works. Nothing was boring and the staff was very attentive. Loved it!Special Features:
- restuarant was outstandingElvisDined on 9/19/2014It wad our first visit so we were hoping it was as good as the reviews. We started with the tuna wrapped in apple slices, uhmmmm. Next course was artic char and a lobster penne dish. Both were fabulous. Our server was very good and listened when we let him know we were going to a show and needed to be done by a certain time. Even the folks that brought us bread, water and cleared our plates were attentive and good. My only minor complaint was the seats were a bit hard. Thanks for making our firstvisit sspecial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backvanycDined on 9/19/2014If I lived on the UWS, I would head to Tessa at least once a month and hopefully more often. The food was excellent and the staff was knowledgeable, attentive and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved loved loved itmdb35VIPDined on 9/18/2014Finally an uptown restaurant that has a downtown vibe. Every aspect of this place was awesome: the food, the decor, the service, and again, the food. Even if this place was located in a back alley broom closet, I would go back for the food. One of the best meals I've had in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go back!QLimogesVIPDined on 9/18/2014Found this place on the UWS and can't wait to go back. Everything was great. We sat outside (beautiful night), but the inside is elegant and beautiful. A new gem! Tell everyone who needs a great restaurant on the UWS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new upper west-side placeShw21Dined on 9/17/2014Tessa is a new restaurant on Amsterdam and 77th. This neighborhood has many good restaurants but Tessa is one of the best. Begin with a plate to share with the table. We had some great American cheeses. We really appreciated the appetizers since they can also be gotten in a small or a dinner portion. (My wife and I think that restaurant portions are often too large.) The restaurant has kept some of the brick walls from the original building making it a great but intimate room. Great service and a wine list with a wide variety of prices.Special Features:
- Excellent foodUWSfoodieDined on 9/15/2014The food was delicious at this UpperWest Side Mediterranean gem. I started with the Braised Pork Belly. It was tender and the sauce was really flavorful. For a main course I had the monk fish, which also had great flavor and cooked perfectly. My dining companion had the tomato salad and chicken and was very happy with his choices. The service was ok, but could have been more attentive for a restaurant that was crowded, but no where near packed. I also had a problem with the wine. It was a big glass that was filled to less than a quarter and I drank in two sips. It should have been filled a bit higher. Overall, it was a pleasant meal and experienceSpecial Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICEsydney8888Dined on 9/14/2014I booked the reservation with opentable, however the reservation was lost in cyberspace. Tessa was very accommodative and seated us right away. The food and service was excellent. I did not know if I received my points from opentable, since the reservation was lost.Special Features:
- TessaGraciellaluv2eatDined on 9/8/2014This was a terrific meal and service could not have been better. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great food; outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014We had brunch at Tessa for my mother's 80th bday. The food and service were impeccable. Highlight for my mother was the waiter's head-turning rendition of "Happy Birthday," which he sang astoundingly. She was weepy with happiness. The food was great, from the poached eggs to the burger I gobbled, and the bloody Mary went down way too quickly. Really wished we could've just stayed on for dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, chilly atmosphereTerboyVIPDined on 8/29/2014We are constantly on the hunt for good places to eat on the Upper West Side, so were happy to read such fine reviews of Tessa. Our initial impression wasn't great since we were kept waiting for almost fifteen minutes. The staff, however, was solicitous, offering us drinks. Our food was fabulous which made up for the annoying waiter who had so many food allergies that he couldn't make a recommendation. I particularly recommend the tomato and watermelon salad. The biggest challenge was the air conditioning which was turned up so high that all the patrons who had dressed for a warm evening were shivering. I would go back, but I'd dress in layers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014The food was good, the service excellent , and a pretty place. But a large group came in and were very noisy.
- Great addition to the neighborhood.SunnyNYCVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great upscale yet relaxed addition to the neighborhood. Very noisy, which I didn't like, but friendly, which I did like. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss TessaannaliceVIPDined on 8/23/2014Tessa has been open for about 5.5 months at this writing. Based on recommend from someone who lives nearby, had brunch with a friend and am impressed. Their menu is deceiving -- there's much more to it than you might believe at first glance. Pastries and breads are baked in house and are a rave. Fantastic. Eggs are perfectly cooked -- had eggs benedict and omelette. Nice side salads to accompany. Just the right amount of attention at the table. Love the energy and passion of the staff. Great décor. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- casual dining for localshubbydaddyDined on 8/21/2014Good burger and beer. Friendly service. Vibrant ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristyOVIPDined on 8/17/2014Great addition to the Upper West Side! My husband and i have been twice in the last two weeks. Servers are "up' on the menu and the owner and general manager make their rounds during dinner to ensure everyone is happy. Great food, great service. Prices are a bit steep for certain entrees but delicious so you get what you pay forSpecial Features:
- Love TessaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014What a wonderful restaurant to have here on the UWS! Great food, great drinks and really great service. I go at least once a week!Special Features: