4400 Connecticut Avenue
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tesororestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 363-6766
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ignazio Bonanni
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tesoro offers a wide range of catering options and each is customized to meet your individual needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Tesoro welcomes the opportunity to host your next private event. On-site catering available Saturday or Sunday 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., and off-site catering is always available.
- Private Party Contact: Ignazio Bonanni 202-363-6766
A word from Tesoro
“An Italian Treasure” located at 4400 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., provides the perfect setting for routine business lunches, holiday office parties, large family get-togethers or romantic dinners for two. Tesoro offers upscale traditional Italian cuisine at an affordable price. Owner/Chef Ignazio Bonanni has been offering a generous menu of Italian fare in the Washington, D.C. area for over 15 years. His passion for his Italian heritage combined with his emphasis on using only the finest ingredients results in only the most extraordinary dishes. A friendly, competent staff is always available to serve you whether in the dining room or at the well-stocked, comfortable bar. So, if it’s time to make reservations for that special occasion, to schedule your next business lunch or office party, or if you’re just in the mood for a spontaneous family dinner out, visit Tesoro. You will feel like it is your home away from home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tesoro reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (1)fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Drinks onlySBF2014Dined on 10/3/2014The food was horrible. My husband and I weren't drunk enough to think this place was remotely enjoyable. The cocktails were strong and our waitress was very nice. She did her job, and so did the bartender. The cook didn't do his job.Special Features:
- Good Food, Good ValueBigsigDined on 8/29/2014All elements of the meal: Appetizers, Entrees, Bread, Wine, Desserts, and Coffee, were good or excellent. Pasta portions were ample to provide lunch the next day.Special Features:
- The following 206 reviews are from the Tesoro reviews archive.
- jemsmrVIPDined on 6/4/20144 people, 4 different dishes plus desserts, all very good. No atmosphere, but a nice quiet place to enjoy a good meal and chat with friends. Glad it's in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- delicious surprisebaconlvrDined on 5/31/2014I'm fairly new to the neighborhood (just a few months) and had NEVER noticed this little place walking by, which is a shame because it was delicious and the service was even better. We shared the caprese for a small app, and it was obvious to both of us that they use really high quality fresh mozz. I had the veal saltimbocca and my date had the ravioli di carne and both were fantastic. The espresso is also legit...freshly made and probably freshly ground as well. My only suggestion would be to add a sign of some sort facing Yuma street, so that people exiting the metro/UDC law school can see it.Special Features:
- Graduation CelebrationLidoLouVIPDined on 5/17/2014Our group of 15 capped off a Catholic University graduation with a fantastic dinner at Tesoros. The service and food was great, especially the Fiorentina white pizza topped with spinach and ricotta and Calamari Fritti as appetizers, and the Vitello alla Saltimbocca was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jemsmrVIPDined on 4/29/2014The restaurant has improved over the years. I was with 3 other people, and all of us found our meals excellent, from bread to dessert. An excellent time.Special Features:
- Don't pre-judge!TommyFroyDined on 4/26/2014After reading reviews and looking over the menu I was very much looking forward to eating here. Upon arrival though, the outside didn't have that "fine restaurant" look. I'm not saying it looked run-down by any means, but it didn't scream great dining. Ignore the outside. You'll walk in the door and forget where you just walked in from. The dark-wood bar makes a great first impression and then you'll start to get the aromas from the kitchen and notice the Italian music in the air. We were promptly approached and seated. From here dinner was very smooth; Appetizers were prompt, entree's were served a few moments after the appetizers were cleared and all the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much vegetarian optionsChivijDined on 4/16/2014There were hardly 3 vegetarian option and one of them tastes awful.Special Features:
- As always . . . very goodDavidDined on 4/9/2014For anyone that doesn't want to travel far from home or office, Tesoro is one of the best restaurants for the location. Nice menu. Very good food. Easy to become a regular.Special Features:
- Awesome Italian RestaurantdavidVIPDined on 4/6/2014I great find! A true "red sauce" Italian restaurant with home made pastas. Really delicious and kid friendly.Special Features:
- A really Great RestaurantwalterVIPDined on 3/25/2014We have a wonderful time at Tesoro and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Place, Service and FoodrtesmerVIPDined on 3/25/2014The place is nothing fancy, but the service is very good. The food is very decent as well. Had calamari, it was very good (not the best Ive had, but good). Could use a better stronger marinara to go with it. Partner had the chicken with lemon, very tasty, juicy and tender. I had the seafood fettucini, it was also good. Desert was good, but I don't think it was made fresh there.
- Great Get-together Place527westDined on 3/13/2014My daughter and I met for dinner and a catchup session. The service was great; food came quickly, but we weren't rushed. We shared calamari and a caprese salad. Their little bread basket was a nice touch. My daughter had bucatini with shrimp and crab and I had a white spinach pizza -- all were delicious. Prices were very reasonable, and on a Thursday night, we parked right across the street. We will definitely meet there again. The restaurant is near my daughter's place. I told my husband if Tesoro was down the street from us, it would be our go-top place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014Food was delicious but ambience is lacking. The service was friendly but scattered. It took several minutes for anyone to greet us at the door and then at our table. All the good though was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2014We've eaten at Tesoro's twice. Once after my daughter's graduation from American University and most recently for my birthday. Both times the food and service were excellent!Special Features:
- Great Little Spot - Italian StyleDonatoDDined on 1/31/2014Some hardcore Italian friends told me about Tesoro, and despite being a native Washingtonian and working not very far from their location on Conn Ave., had not heard of it. So wife and I decided to check it out. Glad we did! Very friendly staff and service was excellent. Dinner, despite limited but "special" selections from the menu was even better. Genuine Itailian cooking and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy As Usual!EnergeticVIPDined on 1/25/2014We frequent Tesoro with our children. Everyone is able to find something they like. Service is excellent. Food is always tasty and well presented!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...rushed serviceMikeDined on 1/23/2014Although the food here is excellent and the portions generous, the service was rushed--our entrees came before we finished our appetizers. This may have been due to the fact that a very large private party took over most of the restaurant. The fried calamari was light and fresh, although the marinara sauce which came for dipping was somewhat thin. The flattened rolls came with a bowl of diced tomatoes--perfect for making your own bruschetta and very good. I loved my Pollo Il Tesoro and the three other people in my party enjoyed their pasta dishes, all of which were made with a combination of seafood. Deserts were all excellent (tiramisu, mini cheesecake and chocolate mousse). We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has not been as highDCfoodie1VIPDined on 1/23/2014Food has not been as high quality as in past visits. Caprese salad- mozzarella was limp and runny.
- Ample ItalianDerekVIPDined on 1/12/2014Portions are oversized, so make sure to share. Some good choices on the menu. Stick to the pastas and to the calamari fritti to start off. Complimentary bread with fresh tomatoes is delicious. Service is a highlight. Very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2014Food was okay, but the pasta was more than a little al dente for my tastes. Good wine selection. Unfortunately, our waitress never offered to get us a second glass as we got our main course and then didn't really come by much after that until we got the check. My husband had also wanted to add in a salad, but the waitress had already walked away from the table and (again) didn't come back by for a bit. They remedied that quickly with bringing out his salad immediately after ordering. Also frustrating that we sat for 10 minutes with no drink order taken, and when two young women were seated next to us during that time, they had multiple servers ask if they wanted drinks and had them before our order had even been taken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's traditionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/1/2014A group of us always goes out for brunch or early dinner each New Year's Day. This year we chose Tesoro. We were delighted with every aspect of the meal from the scrumptious appetizers through the regular and decaf cappuccinos at the end. The saltimbocca was succulent; a must have. Given the day and time our group was the only one in the restaurant, but friends told us that it is packed for dinner, especially during the summer. It was great to have this wonderful restaurant to ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasure in the making?foxpuffVIPDined on 12/31/2013My food was delicious with two exceptions: the parmesan cheese, which was out of a jar rather than freshly grated. Even the Olive Garden, below which one cannot sink, serves freshly grated cheese. This was a big disappointment as the rest of the food was mostly good. Also, I ordered the caprese salad and didn't get much basil, and it clearly wasn't fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodArdiDined on 12/28/2013My friends had pasta and antipasto and liked their meals. I had a margaretha pizza. My pizza wasn't what I expected but it was tasty. The bread served in a basket for all of us was delicious. The place was very quiet but possibly because it was Christmas week. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure if I will visit againQuieterDined on 12/18/2013Service was rather slow. The food came out hot and there was a good portion of food. They burnt the ends of my chicken parm. I did not want to send it back in fear that it would take another 30 or 45 minutes to get a replacement so I just cut off the ends of it. The bar patrons were very noisy and the seating is so tight in this place.
- We all enjoyed the menu and2good4realDined on 12/14/2013We all enjoyed the menu and choices as well as the good tastesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unremarkable classic ItalianDCDinerVIPDined on 12/7/2013I went to this restaurant years ago and the menu has not changed. They still start you off with some warm flat bread and a cup of garlicky bruschetta topping. It's fine. It could use some olive oil. The portions are generous, but every dish quite salty. The chicken with lemon sauce lacked that citrus zing that would offset the richness of the butter. The side of pasta was completely without sauce. It would also be nice if they put a little vegetable on the plate. The service is eager and accommodating. It's fine for a neighborhood joint but we won't make it a habit.
- DC HotelspskagsVIPDined on 11/3/2013Attached to a hotel you expect mediocre But no The food and service was outstanding Penne Puttanesca was perfect The other entree's were Tuna and Pasta w PestoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good italian food. LargejemsmrVIPDined on 10/22/2013Very good italian food. Large party was there, but area was screened off, so some privacy for the group and for other diners. Quite loud, but OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice setting and expansivePraiseIndiaDined on 9/10/2013Nice setting and expansive menu. Good beer selection. Very good service. The problem is the food, which is bland and hum-drum (at least my dish). Tesero needs a better chef.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD & GREAT SERVICETomRDined on 8/2/2013My wife and i have been coming here over the past ten years or so and the food and the service is always great>Special Features:
- Reliably goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2013The food is always very good, and the service always attentive. Portions are generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Food!!ElizabethDined on 5/22/2013Service was excellent and the food is outstanding! I would definitely recommend Tessoro to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dining experienceLynnDined on 5/12/2013I chose Tesoro based on reviews from Open Table, and was pleased when our experience lived up to the hype! We were a group of 15 celebrating my daughter's college graduation, and everyone enjoyed their dinner and evening. The staff was wonderful and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend Tesoro, and will certainly be back next time I'm visiting my daughter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serendipitous discoveryrudydaleVIPDined on 5/3/2013Tesoro is a happy little neighborhood gem that I found only because I was looking for a restaurant that was close to the location of another activity I was committed to later that evening, but it turned out that the owner/chef shares my same last name, which is not the most common of Italian names. While we didn't discover long-lost relations, it made the visit that much more serendipitious. The atmosphere was wonderful warm and inviting, as if you'd gone over to a friend's home for dinner, with plenty of convivial conversations going on at the bar and at the various diners tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little Italian gemHilanneDined on 4/28/2013We arrived for our 7:45 rez and it was fairly empty.I was a little disappointed at the look of it next to the Days Inn, but that changed very quickly. We were warmly greeted by all &seated immediately. We were waiting for our niece and daughter and they were(as usual)late. While waiting we had a glass of a lovely,freshly opened(per my request)Malbec. We then had delicious homemade stracciatelli soup. When the girls arrived we had delicious homemade pastas. My husband raved over his meat ravioli with red sauce and my niece and I had rosy cream sauce on our respective cheese ravioli and fettuccini with shrimp and asparagus. Followed up with espressos. Guiliana (manager?)was charming and patient. When we left @10 it was crowded & lively.Special Features:
- BellisimoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/24/2013Marvelous Rustica Antipasta - fresh and tasty Veal dishes were perfectSpecial Features:
- Tesoro continues to deliverGeneVIPDined on 4/19/2013Tesoro continues to deliver good food at fair prices. Service is good and the staff is welcoming.
- Food was delicious. ServiceEnergeticVIPDined on 4/19/2013Food was delicious. Service was excellent and wait staff was very attentive. My family and I will eat here again.Special Features:
- A wonderful neighborhood ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/14/2013A wonderful neighborhood Italian restaurant with good good and great service. A bit out of the main downtown areas of DC, so you will need to take a cab or drive. Nothing fancy, but very enjoyable.Special Features: