Teske's Germania Restaurant
255 N. First Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
Teske's Germania Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.teskes-germania.com/
- Phone: 4082920291
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, American
- Executive Chef: Scott Baumann
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Cynthia Johnson 4082920291
- Entertainment: Teske's Germania features music and dancing once a month and during September and October several times per month for Oktoberfest. Please visit www.teskes-germania.com for the current entertainment schedule.
A word from Teske's Germania Restaurant
First we would like to give you our "hearty welcome." Our ambiance and personal attention should give you an evening of pleasure in German dining. We will do out best to fulfill your wishes, so that you will have fond memories of our establishment. If we have succeeded in meeting your expectations, please recommend us to your friends and fellow workers. However, if we have failed to meet your expectations do not hesitate to tell us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Teske's Germania Restaurant - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Teske's Germania Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (30)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (19)great for lunch (13)fit for foodies (12)kid-friendly (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Memories of the HofbrauHouseBeWhatYouClaimToBeDined on 8/16/2014Had six in party. Made reservation and were seated upon arrival in patio where the Band ( Gruber Family Band ) were playing. It was, of course, loud and energetic but that was why we were there. Shared our table with 5 others-three young single women and a couple from the east coast. Before long we were all sharing-but don't touch my beer. Lots of dads and moms dancing with their 6 to 10 year old children. We had never been here before . Our group ranged from 65 to 83 - age is no barrier to your frame of mind. We had a grand time eating, drinking and dancing. We will return. Lively bar scene-outstanding beer selections both draft and bottled. At our request, waitress split the check equally between 3 different credit cards.Special Features:
- Teskes is always good.ChrisMcDDined on 8/8/2014Teskes is always good and when the outdoor seating is open it's even better. Friday night jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud German musicPickyAustrianDined on 8/2/2014The Wienner Schnitzel was good, not great but good. Spetzel was very good. BUT the music in the outside dinning area was very loud and it's difficult to carry a conversation. Bottom line: Teske's is an okay German restaurant, not the best but certainly not the worst. The Sacher torte is not a real Sacher Torte, not even close. It's worse than what you would find at a grocery store.Special Features:
- over priced and not good eatingjackDined on 7/30/2014the waiter waiter and staff was great...the food just the opposite..soup was ok.salad had no dressing and if it did have dressing...could not taste it unless it was saurkraut mixed in...breaded veal was dry..5 adults in our party sed they would not go back for dining and my grandson enjoyed the fountain behind us. He had the pasta...ate 2 bites i do not mind treating family to dinner...$198 dinner / $40 tip ...WORST 240 i ever spent also appetizer sausage plate...need to do better...dry again and need to make more presentableSpecial Features:
- Bring your appetiteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Dinners are tasty and large. Good quality, but the soup could have been hotter. If you order an appetizer, you better make it a small beer.Special Features:
- teamSonyDined on 7/23/2014The food is authentic. The outdoor area is great. Old school building, Bavaria style inside. Overall very good dining experience.Special Features:
- Friday LunchMarshgirl1VIPDined on 7/18/2014My friend & I came to Teske's at 11:30 on. Friday. We were welcomed & seated immediately. It was early & we were the first customers, so we got a table at the only window on First street. Lots to look at as the light rail goes by here. Our waiter came right away & explained the lunch specials. We both chose the German beefsteak - a spicy 1/2 pound patty of ground beef, veal & pork with a delicious wine mushroom sauce with mashed potatoes. Everything was very good. The price of $8.25 was very reasonable for lunch. The restaurant began to fill up as it got later. There is a very nice patio (Bier Garten) outside. The ambience of this old building makes you feel like you are in Germany! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great people!JCsinkDined on 6/14/2014There is something for everyone at Teskes-Germania restaurant. If you want AUTHENTIC German food, go here. The Jagerschnitzel is to die for, as is their Sauerbraten, and Paprikash. Not into German food, then try one of their specials. Wild Boar, venison, and other game meats frequently are on the menu. Oh, and for value you can't beat it - all dinners come with soup, salad, and the BEST apple struedel for desset!Special Features:
- Atmosphere great, food lousykenthevikingDined on 6/11/2014My wife, a friend and I were excited to find an authentic German restaurant in the area. We felt positive as we anticipated our evening at Teske's Germania Restaurant..... we were sadly disappointed! The atmosphere was wonderful. The outdoor beer garden was the perfect place to spend an evening with friends. Unfortunately the food was a let down...not the selection on the menu but the quality of preparation. My wife is German, she knows what good German food is and knows how to make it. She has eaten at other German restaurants and was amazed....not at Teske's! The owners of Teske's need to spend time developing the quality of their menu items so the taste of the food is as good as the setting in which it is served.Special Features:
- Love me some Teskes!DLDLDined on 6/7/2014The music, celebrations, and menu were fabulous. I love the group seating and it took no time at all to be seated. The band was great, the beer delish, and everyone loved their food. Can't wait to come back. Nice place for a nice dinner and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014Teske's has really slipped over the years. The mid-week night we dined outside to celebrate a birthday. . . and had tired service as they seemed to be short-handed & the food was a disappointment: salad was sad, Weiner schnitzel (breaded pork cutlet) was clearly not cooked to order. . . ours was dry and very tough because it had been sitting in a warming oven, I imagine. It was difficult to not send all three entrees back to the kitchen. They need to seriously dust off their act.
- outdoor diningAlphornDined on 6/5/2014This is probably the loveliest place for outdoor dining in San Jose downtown. We always enjoy the quiet atmosphere in the courtyard, the good beer and authentic German food.Special Features:
- For the German in you!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014Great restaurant. Very authentic. Choices from very moderate (under $15) to higher end $30. Everyone in our group of 7 was very happy with their choices.Special Features:
- Authentic German foodFoodieDined on 5/22/2014This was a great find; enormous portions of authentic German dishes. The weather was perfect for outdoor dining and their beer garden is a very pleasant place to enjoy their food. Lunch prices reasonable, everyone in the group enjoyed their meals.Special Features:
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2014Brought some friends their for dinner with a german background and they all loved it. Some said it brought back memories of growing up in a german household. I will go back many more times and bring more friends to enjoy great food.Special Features:
- Great place for beerDeutschFoodieDined on 5/13/2014Good beer and schnapps selection. Food is not like eating German in Milwaukee or Chicago, but is what you expect in San Jose. Nice beer garden outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- German food at its bestSFKPVIPDined on 5/11/2014Fourth visit and it was top shelf food once again. We visit three times a year and they never fail. Spouse is primarily a vegetarian and they always have a non-meat option; salmon this time. I had the sauerbraten and it was melt in your mouth good. The potatoe salad is truly authentic and the canage is superb. Portions are massive so come hungry. Patio seating tp with small fountain is where to sit if available. Can't go wrong with this one to satisfy your meat fix for the quarter.Special Features:
- Mother's Day treat!gibeauDined on 5/11/2014My family took me to Teske's for Mother's Day dinner. The host took us straight to the patio, which is delightful. The server was very accommodating. He remembered that my daughter didn't eat dairy, and substituted an extra salad for the cream soup. The food service was prompt without making us feel rushed. And the food itself - fabulous. We had the potato pancakes with apple sauce for an appetizer - delicious! Our entrees were cooked to perfection. I love the atmosphere, the food, the friendly servers, and the excellent selection of German beers. It's close to the light rail line, which is great if you want to avail yourself of the aforementioned beer selection. Every time I eat at Teske's I wonder why I don't go more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Authentic German CuisineAnnieDined on 5/8/2014This is a great place to enjoy authentic German food which is very hearty cuisine. I love the Jaegerschnitzel which is a breaded pork cutlet served with fresh German pasta called spaetzel (my spelling is probably incorrect). The portions are very generous and entrees come with hearty dark bread, split pea soup and salad. The restaurant decor makes you feel like you're dining at an inn in small town in Germany. Some evenings they have live bands playing German music in the courtyard and people get up and dance. It really is a very enjoyable dining experience even though the entrees sometimes takes a long time to arrive.Special Features:
- Great Friday Evening!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/2/2014Terrfic for a relaxing night outside with friends and great food!Special Features:
- great food and experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014Enjoyed the food and expeirence. Would recommed to anyone looking for an authentic german restraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 452 reviews are from the Teske's Germania Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014love teskes, my favorite spot.brought three people there for their first time,they want to know when we are going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notable Beer ListNancyDined on 4/12/2014Wonderful German food. Just like what we had in Bavaria. Veal shank is $38 and is well worth it. My husband and I split it and had some to bring home. Soup, salad, veg. and dessert included.Special Features:
- worthyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/4/2014In this post modern world this old fashioned classic old school place is an enjoyable "comfort food" experience, you leave full and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Odd People Odd PlaceDrewDined on 3/22/2014I will never forget Teske's. The food was very German and tasty, which is what you'd expect from a German restaurant, but what really made it a dining experience was the atmosphere. Funky surroundings, the house band oom-pah-pah-ing outdoors, and an interesting blend of patrons made for a good time. The service is perfunctory, but not because the wait staff don't care, it's because it seemed like a busy Saturday night, and they were hustling to keep everyone happy. I know I was. Thanks, Teske's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic German food andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Authentic German food and spirits. Great German band playing in the beer garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now our once/month go tosfogirlDined on 3/22/2014One price and a full dinner, incl. dessert. Generous portions and authentic German food. Meat is king - tender, succulent. The potatoes (especially scalloped) are incredible. There's outdoor/patio (Beer Garden) dining - - sheltered from wind. Live band music is great. It's a truly happy place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeChrisMcDDined on 3/21/2014Great food and when the outside is open it's even better. Huge amount of food makes it a good value but it isn't really cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food at its bestInkhornDined on 3/19/2014We dined at Teske's for our beer lovin' son's 28th birthday; the food exceeded our expectations. Every beer is served in its own special glass/mug. We ordered buffalo meatloaf with two sauces, smoked pork shank, and boar sausages. The flavors were balanced and delicious. The sauerkraut, noodles, and fingerling potatoes side dishes were also delicious. The savory flavors reminded us of Christmas dinner, but the portions were not too huge. Two entries came with apple strudel, which was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014The staff was extremely friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The food was delicious. For a party of three we had the night's special appetizer (I don't recall what it was but it reminded me of stuffing balls with a cheesy sauce and bacon bits. Don't get wrong it was amazing) the lamb special, the pork cutlet with anchovies and an egg and I ordered the salmon. my only complaint is the seating. We were so close to everyone it was hard to pay attention to our conversation when we could hear everyone else around us.Special Features:
- German food like Grandma once madeSteveDDined on 3/8/2014We took the opportunity to seek out a reservation at La Germania after a 10 year lapse since our last visit. I does not seem to have changed a bit. The some of the same faces were still serving food. We took this as a treat for my 13 yr old grandson to experience German dining culture and tastes. Freg, our waiter, very patiently assisted us as we deciphered the menu, mostly by admiring food as it was delivered to our fellow diners. Throughout the night we tried at least 30% of the items on the menu, and each one was a delight. The favorites were the bratwurst and knockwurst sausages, and the red cabbage side dish. A load of the homemade schnitzel added the comfort aspect to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- German foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Good celebration for a group that was celebrating an anniversary and enjoy German food. Good service and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placebluecheeseVIPDined on 3/4/2014The buffalo burger was to die for and the fries were nice and crispy. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceDeeBDined on 2/28/2014Our family had not been to Teske's for years. We held a family birthday there. We had a group of 12 and were seated easily, food was great, service was perfect. We talked, ate, and celebrated for over three hours. Great JOB!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hearty German fareTeachDined on 2/28/2014We had reservations for 2pm. They close at 2. Why take reservations for the time at which you close? They were nice enough but we felt very rushed. Going out to lunch on a weekday is a special thing, and the food qualified. The rush, however, makes it unlikely I'll go back.Special Features:
- Great Authentic German FoodHeberDined on 2/26/2014The food is just like I remember it from Germany. I recommend ordering in advance (a day or so along with your reservation) the baked Schweine Haxe. Since this takes hours to prepare, you can't be sure that it is available unless you order it in advance. They will serve it for lunch or dinner but you must have a good appetite because it is a large portion.Special Features:
- Thought I was in Munich...MikeDined on 2/22/2014Having been to Germany many times I couldn't help but look out the window and see the San Jose tram rolling by as I enjoyed wonderful German food and beer and have to remind myself I was in CA. Very nice experience...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic German Fare, Great BeersOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/22/2014There isn't anything on the menu that's particularly experimental, but that's not why I go to Teske's. I go for the classics: schnitzel, sauerbraten, wurst, goulash, and great beers. It's boisterous without being rowdy, kid-friendly in the sense that a loud child's voice simply blends into the background on a Saturday night, and the service was down-to-earth, friendly, and completely unrushed. Ours was a party of 6 adults for dinner after a matinee performance downtown. We had appetizers, main course, and dessert to eat; the only let-down was one of appetizers on special. Beers, wines, and after-dinner liqueurs were all fantastic. Everyone went home with leftovers at about $55 per person with drinks included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent German DumplingsShelsDined on 2/22/2014The German potato dumplings are hard to find in this area. Teske's dumplings are as close to the ones I had in Munich that I can find. The decor is similar to a restaurant you would in Germany. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014A trustworthy place to find great food, service, and atmosphere at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.