11940 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.terusushi.com/
- Phone: 8187636201
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Teru Sushi
Teru Sushi in Studio City was created in 1979 and opened to rave reviews at the beginning of the sushi craze in LA, It was the first in the Valley to combine fine Japanese cuisine with a warm and lively ambiance and is widely known for a consistently high quality of food and friendly efficient service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Teru Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (9)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)romantic (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Not Enough of a Stand OutGoodFoodBadSvcVIPDined on 10/27/2014If you're going to run a sushi restaurant in this area, where there is a sushi spot every ten feet, you'd better distinguish yourself somehow. And while Teru has a lovely setting and delicious sushi, I can get that in other places with far better service than I had at Teru the evening I went.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014A bit over-priced and the sushi was just OK. I've had better.Special Features:
- Fresh Food & Great ExperienceAugieRunGoodDined on 10/19/2014The food looked fresh & tasted even better. There is sitting available inside & outside. We took the outside table near the koi pond, which I reserved via opentable the night before. The ambiance was wonderful, and the staff was friendly. It was upscale food without the ridiculous prices that can be encountered at other establishments. Give it a go, I think you will really enjoy your experience!Special Features:
- lovesashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014We have eaten here a lot over the years but this was the first disappointing meal. Fish portions were very meager and the roll we ordered was very disappointing. Maybe Sunday night is their off night? Not sure... May return, because we used to love it and will give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it's the same.. oh well!
- Lost a CustomerLied2Dined on 9/20/2014I have been dining at Teru Sushi for almost 30 years; the food is always good and the ambiance fun; however... I had an American Express Gift Card for $50.00 that I tried to use. The waitres told me they do not accept them: I told her I had contacted the card before coming and they confirmed that Teru Sushi can accept them. I handed her the processing instructions which explained how to ring it out, she refued to even look at them. She finally grabbed the card and came back a moment later and said it was declined. One of my guests had watched her walk to one side of the restuarant and then back: she NEVER attempted to try and use the card. Done. I will never return and have written a YELP review as well.Special Features:
- Very disappointedBUCKYVIPDined on 9/20/2014I had been going here for 20 years and found the sushi and sashimi to be top notch. However, I brought my family here on Saturday night around 6 p.m. and noticed that the quality of the fish was below average and the portions were much smaller than usual. We even noticed how empty the sushi bar was when it used to be livelier. Even the oranges for dessert were sour. I sadly will not be returning here.
- Best Sushi in townDandeDined on 9/14/2014Great Sushi. Great roll selection. Nice ambiance. Loved sitting on back patio. This place never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, delicious, and innovative!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent sushi and sashimi with many innovative combinations. Also, an extensive menu of cooked items for those who don't want to do the sushi thing!Special Features:
- Worst ServiceLoraDined on 7/31/2014I had the worse server I've ever had at any restaurant! We waited for 20 minutes for water before I went to the hostess and asked for water from her. And it took even longer for food. The manager even had to bring us out check because our waiter was MIA.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014This is a friends favorite, but my husband and I didn't care for it. It seemed like all the rolls had either fried onion or tempura jalapeño. Not very inspired and took away from the fresh fish. All the servings seemed small and expensive!
- Great food, fare valuerobatraDined on 7/11/2014if you are looking for a studio city spot for sushi without going to the name brand ones or all you can eat come here. Great fresh rolls and throw in hot sake and cold beer and you are in for a good night. Its next door to some good bars so its easy to go out after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!JonrobmomVIPDined on 7/2/2014Teru Sushi is our favorite sushi restaurant in LA, close to home and always delicious. It's a 10!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 153 reviews are from the Teru Sushi reviews archive.
- The sushi here was just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/20/2014The sushi didn't taste as fresh as it does at other sushi spots close by like Kiwami and Katsu ya. My wife sent back her albacore because it tasted fishy. Not likely to return.
- Great sushiGuccaVIPDined on 6/18/2014Great sushi , great service, outdoor patio is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SushiJohnnyshungryVIPDined on 4/12/2014Good sushi at one of Los Angeles 1st sushi restraunts on sushi row. Lively, lots of rolls along with traditional sushi, nice outdoor patio.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/21/2014I've been to this restaurant many times about 20 years ago. I loved it then and it's still just as great! The sushi is always very fresh and the menu is so varied, so much to choose from. I highly recommend this restaurant and will contnue coming back.Special Features:
- Pretty darn goodRobbiejayVIPDined on 3/16/2014Second time here in a month. Great service, comfortable big tables. Hot towel, the whole nine yards. Bizarre sized glasses for beverages. More like tubes. Good selection of rolls, sashimi, and single fish sushi. Nothing too way out there. Same stuff with some different names. Good non sushi menu as well. Price can get up there, but a lot of that has to do with what/how much you order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, best sushiGuccaVIPDined on 2/16/2014We sat at the bar great chefs and quality fish. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- My favorite sushi placeSnoopyDined on 2/15/2014I really like this place. Ambience is great and and customers seem to be having fun. Food is outstanding I had an opportunity to speak with the owner and he was very nice and very accommodative. One thing that I really enjoyed about this place that you dont see a lot of riffraff people going there. I would definitely recommend it for couples or families.Special Features:
- BuenoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Much sushi such wow. Very kind wait staff 10/10 would eat again.Special Features:
- Service was very good onceValentinoDined on 2/14/2014Service was very good once seated. But we were told to arrive early which we did, and then we had to wait almost an hour before being seated, and no one made any attempt to offer anything while we waited. ON VALENTINE'S DAY! Someone should have at least said that there was a longer wait and offer an apology. I would recommend this restaurant for service, food was good, but not worth the wait.I would recommend this to a friend.
- terujbrownjDined on 2/1/2014From the complete chaos in at the parking valet to the disappointing sushi, Teru did not meet my expectations. While the wait staff was attentive, the overall quality of the sushi was a little mushy and over sauced. I much prefer Asenebo across the street, although their prices are very high.
- Good Sushi ValueChowhound101Dined on 1/31/2014We have been here a number of times. The food is consistent and good. Ambiance has a nice relaxed vibe, and the restaurant is largely small booths...very comfy relative to most Japanese places. This time, they sat us in the back, which means you catch the cigarette smoke drifting in from their back patio and smoking area. That made it unpleasant for us, but it's the first time we had this problem. The service is hit or miss though, and tends to be poor when it's busy (weekends). Overall, a good Sushi option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place on Ventura BlvdPopTheCorkDined on 1/27/2014Quick and easy reservations made online... prompt seating and thorough and courteous waitstaff.Special Features:
- Save yourself timeCdhan79Dined on 1/24/2014Go ahead and save yourself the extra step of making a reservation. Upon checking in at the hostess stand and telling them you have a reservation, you'll simply be thrown to the side with the other "walk in" diners. Then, after 40 minutes of waiting, they'll seat you at the busy sushi bar where you'll have to turn awkwardly to talk to your date. Save yourself the time and simply walk in and wait or better yet, don't go to dinner here on a weekend night.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/24/2014Excellent food and service, except for the fact that we ordered soup first, which they served but immediately after they brought the main courses so they had to sit while we were having the soup so it wouldn't get cold (in the meantime, the mains cooled off).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were so disappointed withLovetoeatVIPDined on 12/28/2013We were so disappointed with the food. First time and will not be back. The quality was below par from the tea to the edamame, tempura and worst of all the sushi platter. Having been around since 1979, we just cannot believe it. If they want to charge the high end price, they should step up on the quality.
- Nice back patio-good for ahbb123Dined on 12/27/2013Nice back patio-good for a large group. Beware though- they allow smoking in the back patio. Although, we were not bothered by the smokers- it could be bothersome if they are sitting close. Service was slow and not very friendly. Food was fair to good.Special Features:
- Best Sushi Everk8thegr8VIPDined on 12/4/2013Always a good time at Teru Sushi. Great, great happy hour!!Special Features:
- Consistently delicious, greatStacyDined on 11/2/2013Consistently delicious, great service, worth the Saturday night wait. Even the parking attendant/Valet is a friendly fellow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Good After All These YearsSushiSeekerDined on 11/1/2013Been coming here for years, and it's still a blast. Nice vibe, nice energy, tables of different sizes, good for a comfy romantic date. Still the coolest place for date night sushi on Ventura.Special Features:
- Yummmmmmmmmmy!JandBDined on 10/19/2013Fabulous menu with lots of choices and the freshest sushi in town. Everyone was extremely welcoming. Absolutely loved it, and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't go home to eat again...UpChuckDined on 10/14/2013Once this was the happening sushi restaurant where lunch required a reservation...that was then, now, no service. Best feature is valet person who's been there for years.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat at sushi bar and neverCarlyVIPDined on 10/7/2013Sat at sushi bar and never got water or drink refills Soup took over 20 mins to come Sushi chef was not helpful with ordering never told us what rolls he was serving Told owner who didnt seem to care instead brought wine in a shot glass
- Incredible sushi, some ofOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/25/2013Incredible sushi, some of the best in LA! I'd skip the carrot-ginger soup--suggest they find a different recipe, something in keeping with the lightness of sushi, it was too thick, and not much ginger. But otherwise, everything we ordered was absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still on top of their game!DannVIPDined on 8/1/2013Great night, excellent suchi and fun at the susci bar!Special Features:
- Over charge for things thatGuccaVIPDined on 7/27/2013Over charge for things that we never order And the cashier lady was very loud and rood Trying to prove her self right end up paying the bill After waiting hours outside for waitress!
- Parking is tough so I wouldSDietVIPDined on 7/16/2013Parking is tough so I would recommend using their valet service. It is easy to is for 1st timers, so keep your eye open. The sushi was really good. It was my 1st time at Teru Sushi and I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Teru is the BESTZiggyDined on 7/5/2013I have been a big fan of Teru Sushi since I first started coming here in the mid 1990's. The sushi bar has the best seats in the house. And the chefs are friendly and offer great suggestions if you're tired of the "usual".Special Features:
- Outdoor seatingSilasVIPDined on 6/26/2013Restaurant has been here for a 20 years and hasn't changed much. Nice outdoor seating area in back with Koi pond made for nice date ambience. Sushi good but nothing special. Service good except brought me check for another table. Good thing I checked it. Overall would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.