359 6th Ave
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tertulianyc.com/
- Phone: 6465599909
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Seamus Mullen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
A word from Tertulia
Located in the West Village, Tertulia is an award-winning Spanish restaurant inspired by the lively cider houses of Northern Spain. Here, chef/owner Seamus Mullen brings his unique, creative approach to Spanish cuisine, with a menu that ranges from classic tapas to seasonal vegetable and seafood-driven share plates, and large format dishes such as paella. All food is served family-style, adding to the bustling, convivial energy of the dining room. Our excellent wine list features unique, hard-to-find Spanish wines, as well as wines, sangria, and sherry on tap. The warm, cozy interiors feature original brickwork, vaulted ceilings, a skylight and an open kitchen anchored by our custom wood-fired grill, the heart and soul of the restaurant.Continued
If you experience any issues making a reservation, please call the restaurant directly.
If you experience any issues making a reservation, please call the restaurant directly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tertulia reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (35)romantic (33)hot spot (25)notable wine list (25)special occasion (20)great for lunch (16)late-night find (15)great for brunch (15)vibrant bar scene (10)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Food was good although really small portions. Not really Spanish but interesting take on traditional Spanish cuisine. Wine was ok although the bottle that the waitress recommended was nothing to write home about. All in, for 175 dollars for 2 ppl in the village, I think you'd be better off playing "open table roulette" and go with something else simply because there are so many other good places.Special Features:
- Nice food, disappointing serviceEnglishpatienceDined on 10/14/2014We ordered 3 starters amongst 3 and 3 main dishes at a 12 noon sitting. After 30 mins we had finished our first drinks so I reminded the waitress that we were still waiting for our food. We ordered more drinks and eventually 2 of our starters arrived. The 3 mains followed but a L dishes were charged for on our bill so we reminded them that only 2 had arrived. Great food. Not so good service.Special Features:
- Don't go!!!!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/9/2014What happened to this place? Full of frat boys and girls speaking at the top of their lungs after too much booze. Service really lacking and juvenile. And the food........I don't know if I have the right vocabulary for my disappointment.
- Yummy food, wait staff=uninterestedschulzie1973Dined on 10/4/20144 of us went Sat night for dinner. We got seated waaay in the back, next to the kitchen. Everything was really delicious, different types of ham & smoked meat, tomato & melon salad, kale salad, & smoked chicken paella. However, our wait staff, from the main guy to the helpers did not know the menu very well & seemed uninterested in explaining any of the food to us. The holder for the paella was dropped off unceremoniously on our table about 45 minutes before the dish arrived, along with a seared lemon & some garlic aoli. All we were told is, "don't eat that". When the paella arrived, we asked what the lemon and garlic were for. The answer, "well, you can use it if you want." ok. I think they need more training on the menu & being polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, good servicetravellingvirgochickDined on 10/3/2014The dept of health was there and the servers apologised and comped us a round but truthfully I hardly noticed any delay. The cod brandade was delicious and the octopus to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014Delicious Spanish food with a great wine list. The wood burning pit is a winner, the aroma of the food and restaurant transports you to a past era of rustic old country kitchen's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeDusanDined on 9/27/2014This is the neighborhood gem you wished you lived around the corner from. The staff is friendly, the food delicious and interesting, the surroundings fun. Just wish it was a little less a surprise at the end when the bill comes!Special Features:
- silkcityVIPDined on 9/21/2014Came with high expectations on rave reviews-have to say they were generally spot on. If there is one dissent, then it would be the somewhat limited menu. Also some offerings were sold out. However, a definite return.Special Features:
- All around very goodTKAGMADined on 9/19/2014It was our second time at this restaurant. Every dish was very good . The baby squid special was extra good . Olive oil ice cream ice cream and walnut ice cream were both yummy for dessert .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grumpy bartendertallblonde2014Dined on 9/18/2014Bartender was unenthusiastic, took his slow time acknowledging customers, and had an attitude about making simple mixed drinks over ordering from "his list". Thankfully, the food was delicious and they have a great efficient wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over RatedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Not quite sure how this got so much buzz but I guess there are a lot of Goop followers buying the hype.
- WHAT ARE YOU DOING TOMORROW NIGHT?meandhetravelDined on 9/16/2014Went with a friend for an after-work dinner and, well, we loved it. Two small plates, three large plates, oh, yes, the bread pudding and several wines by the glass. Liked it so much, went back the following night with the husband. Just a great place. Crazy delicious, comfortable easy, excellent choices and portion sizes and a really (really) wonderful server ) knowledgeable, helpful and professional/personable. The kind of place that could just become a habit. You have to have the Tosta Huevo Roto y Jamón Ibérico. And the bread pudding. And the ... Just go!Special Features:
- Mediocre food, awful servicebkreviewerDined on 9/13/2014The food was nothing special, and we felt the prices did not reflect the quality of the meal. The service was off-putting. Waiters were not friendly at all, barely spoke to us and made little to no eye contact with us. All of our dishes were brought out and almost thrown on our table without a single word. We had to ask a waiter to clean our table after they took our dishes away. I would not come here again.
- Mixed bag but some great platesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/10/2014We read other reviews mentioning the horrible slow service and have to agree. The waitstaff is friendly but it does take a while to get anything. THe delicious dishes suffer by being brought to the table in a haphazard - one at a time - manner. Guess that's why it's more of a tapas bar than a restaurant - That and the noise level make the ambience of this place just nasty and I would not go back - EXCEPT they have some delicious dishes on the menu. The Choclo alone is worth a trip back. Crispy fried hominy with a delicious lime sauce - it was very fine. Other stuff was anywhere from just okay to really good (the Albondigas).
- Unique menushanagementVIPDined on 9/9/2014The menu was unique at Tertulia. I wish that the specials were listed on the menu. It would have just been easier than listening the servers who had trouble remembering the specials, and we had a hard time hearing. I also thought the Sangria could have had some more zing. Loved the patatas bravas. The paella was only okay.
- DdukesVIPDined on 9/7/2014Sorry but food was just average. Server was very helpful and nice. Drinks at $16? Do you think this is the Plaza? Excessive price! Used Blackboard eats discount so total bill was reasonable. To summarize: nothing special about Tertulia.
- TertuliaPattyDined on 9/5/2014Server was extremely knowledgeable. Loved the food, she made great recommendations on both the food and wine.Special Features:
- NYC TapasCeceDined on 9/5/2014Cafe Tertulia was recommended by a friend. We were in from Chicago so we decided to try it. It was a bit out of the way from where we were staying & Friday night traffic was abysmal but -- once we arrived the Arroz A La Plancha and the Tosta Matrimonia made our trip worth it. If you go, please try both along with many other wonderful options.Special Features:
- hbzsDined on 9/3/2014off beat menu with very good food. different than the normal every day restaurant. funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the top tapaslgtravelbugDined on 9/3/2014We were disappointed in Tertulia. We ordered 2 small spanish beers (because they are all small) and paid $8.00 each for them plus 1 glass of mediocre red wine. We ordered 5 tapas dishes, all vegetarian: potatoes, corn, green beans, olives and bread w/tomatoes. As with all tapas, the plates were small and designed to be shared. It's a good thing we weren't very hungry. The service was absent, literally requiring us to flag down our waiter for our 2 additional beers or extra tapas or the bill. And when the bill finally came, we were shocked that so little alcohol and a few plates of vegetables cost more than $160 for 3 people. The ambience was that of a noisy bar, rather than a restaurant. We will not be returning.
- brilliant tapas!NoraBVIPDined on 9/1/2014We've been to Tertullia three times over six months and the food has been spectacular. Great ingredients and imaginative usage but not at all fussy or pretentious. Great vibe, good service, glowing and candle lit, like a tapas bar should be. Not sure why it's gotten low reviews, it's great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/1/2014Hostess was accommodating. Restaurant has no ambiance and kitchen service was slow. Our tapas selections were very good. Tried a new main dish chicken special that was outstanding. Kudos to chef for this dish. It's a keeper. We would return for the dish alone despite the slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in the west villageFoodieatheartDined on 8/29/2014If you don't mind sharing a table with strangers this is a fabulous spot! Wonderful and friendly wait staff and delicious Spanish tapas. Great rustic, quaint atmosphere, but a little loud. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetdinerDined on 8/23/2014We ordered paella - very disappointing (served with an abundance of roasted potatoes???? come on, when is paella served with roasted potatoes - are we in Texas?Barbecue?). Very salty, would not insult the dish by calling it paella.
- Truly Delicious!AWhitneyVIPDined on 8/22/2014A good friend and I had taken a trip to Spain a few summers back and made it a point to visit all of the well rated Tapas restaurants in San Francisco upon our return. She recently moved to NYC and when I read about Tertulia I knew it was the perfect place to continue our Tapas Crawl! The food was truly delicious, no complaints on flavor or texture. The Paella was a little dry, but we polished it off. Sangria was tasty as well. I would only note that the dishes were a little heavier and richer than normal Tapas, but yummy none the less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opinionJoseDined on 8/20/2014We had Lunch, worse spanish restaurant that ever eat, we couldn't even eat their bread!
- BillNYCbillnycDined on 8/19/2014Food was excellent and diverse. It came at intervals that were irregular, leaving fairly long gaps between courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014I have visited this great gem twice and adore everything about it Lovely food, nice atmosphere, delicious drinks,,, and great service! Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tepid tapasbuencomidaDined on 8/17/2014I love tapas but was disappointed with this restaurant. We found the choices to be limited in veg choices and heavy in the pork parts. Altho we liked the heirloom tomato salad, and short ribs, The bluefish was underwhelming and the flan for desert was thin and watery. Our server was very efficient, polite and helpful.Special Features:
- Great tapasSimelemontoLomeoDined on 8/12/2014One of the most authentic tapas place in NYC. THey treat the ingredients well. Service is friendly. Prices are good. The shared tables makes it more authentic.Special Features:
- Cosy. intimate, great foodFineDinerDined on 8/12/2014My friend commended me for a great choice of restaurant. The starter was delicious, but overall the ambience was lovely. Tertulia is really cosy and intimate. The location is really convenient. I brought another friend there after the theatre and we sat at the bar. She's a real foodie and usually hard to please and she said, "Great choice!" The tapas choices were excellent, thanks to the bartender, who was really helpful and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food in a relaxed settingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Food was fresh, tasty, with a light spanish flavor. The grilled trout was as good as I have ever had, and the churros with a light chocolate sauce for dessert were yummy. Service was responsive, helpful and not rushed. The wine list was very good and interesting with a number of regional Spanish wines that were new to me. Loved the music playlist which was not obtrusive but had a lot of r&b, perfect for lunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The food was amazing. The grill infused flavors were to die for and our server was very helpful and patient with us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite A Wonderful SurpriseOpenTableUserVIPDined on 8/9/2014Read multiple reviews so did not know what to expect. Tertulia was on my list of to-go's for quite a while and the other night was it. Came in, was seated immediately. Menus next and a very knowledgeable waiter - his wine rec was right on the mark for what I asked for. My wife and I made our selections from the menu and then when we heard the specials all things changed. We kept the six $1 oysters and the selection of 3 meats and then took three of the four specials. Clams in broth perfect, grilled short ribs very tasty and a tomato/watermelon salad delicious. The portions were generous and the prices fair. 5 dishes (+ the pig cheek & egg bite) + wine + tea for +/- $100 - a great value. Will be back. Don't miss the Embutidos.Special Features:
- Nice place, but salty & overpricedDavidDined on 8/8/2014Lovely place, delightful staff, beautiful octopus entree (took a picture), but over-salted, small, and expensive for size. Not a real lunch.Special Features:
- BeefVIPDined on 8/7/2014Consitently fantastic. Innovative menu and approach. We will keep coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TertuliagordoDined on 8/6/2014The food is unusual: authentic Spanish country food. Do your research before you come. Spanish ham is very tasty, not at all like watered American ham. I like the "matrimonial toast", but it features anchovies. The ham croquettes are good. Service is good and restaurant is quiet if you go earlySpecial Features:
- Bad service!snowboarder2010Dined on 8/3/2014The food was very flavourfull but the service ruined it all. It took forever to get drinks and appitizers. We never got bread! Our appitizers came out at seperate time even one with our dinner.... They are suppose to come out before! The food was very good but it took forever and the waiter never really came to us much. It was just a shame because the food was so good but the service runined it all. Our food was even cold!Special Features:
- DisappointinghalasiekDined on 8/3/2014I read great reviews about Tertulia and had a guest in from out of town so decided to take her here for Restaurant Week lunch. We walked in and loved the decor and relaxed atmosphere. We were sat down at a shared table with another family.The appetizers arrived and we truly enjoyed them. That's when the wait for food begun, we waited for our food for an hour and 15 minutes. The waitress had not checked on us in that time. When I started inquiring about where the food is around the 1 hour mark she suggested that I could order another appetizer while we wait. I called over a manager, who brought me more water. She also did not seem to think waiting for an hour was a problem. When the food arrived it was good but definitely not worth the waitSpecial Features:
- wouldn't make a trip out of itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Was excited to go due to the better ratings at Yelp, but was really disappointed. Had the restaurant week menu and was really let down by the quality. Guess it's standard for hip and notable restaurant. Probably wouldn't come back on my own terms, unless it's an invite. The service is really mediocre and the waiters seemed really unhappy to be working.