Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant
8293 Main Street
Ellicott City, MD 21043Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tersiguels.com/
- Phone: 4104654004x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, French
- Executive Chef: Michel Tersiguel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Tersiguel's is famous for their tableside preparation of crepes suzette and chateaubriand.
- Special Events: Tersiguel's is known for their cooking classes with one hour demonstration by Chef Michel Tersiguel and followed by a 5 course lunch. Also featured are themed wine dinners where Chef Michel presents multiple inspired courses matched with exquisite wine selections.
- Cross Street: Old Columbia Pike
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have public parking on the street, 2 hour parking limit during the daytime hours and unlimited after 6:00pm. Also behind the restaurant their is free parking lot of about 260 spaces. Ellicott City also has 6 other parking lots off of Main Street.
A word from Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant
The Tersiguel family have been serving their unique version of French food for over 40 years. The menu at Tersiguel's is a combination of authentic French-style cooking and rustic country fare reminiscent of cuisine found in Tersiguel's original home of Brittany, France. Tersiguel's Cuisine is reflective of the seasons, with a garden that produces lettuces, herbs, vegetables, fruits and edible flowers. When the Garden is not producing Chef Michel Tersiguel will personally go and hand pick all fruit and vegetables at the whole sale market in Jessup, Maryland. Tersiguel's is quintessential French Country "from the farm to your plate" cooking. Chef Tersiguel describes his food as "French soul food". The Tersiguel family has operated one of the regions best restaurants for over 40 years and continues this tradition with annual ratings of "Best French Restaurant" from the Zagat and Baltimore Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ellicott City ›
Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (85)fit for foodies (63)romantic (62)notable wine list (44)neighborhood gem (43)great for brunch (29)great for lunch (25)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (5)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- great night outsmiledoctorDined on 8/29/2014I hadn't been to the restaurant in many years and I wish that I hadn't waited so long. the food and the ambiance were excellent. I had the rockfish and it was delicious. my friend loved the beef stew. both of the women are disabled and the staff helped them up the stairs and into the restaurant.we will definitely return soon.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealwhisperinjeffDined on 8/27/2014Tersiguel's has been one of my favorite local restaurants for some time, but I moved out of state and hadn't been there for a couple of years. Well, not to worry as the formula of fine, fresh locally-sourced food and impeccable service hasn't changed. Our party of six arrived at different times, but that did not throw the staff off one bit. When 2 of our party arrived a little late, they were promptly shown to the table, given ice water and drink orders taken. The food was divine-appetizers, main course, dessert and coffee were served timely, but without being rushed. Our server was terrific-she was there when we needed her but she didn't hover. And the bottle of pinot noir she suggested was just perfect. I can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very frenchBabsDined on 8/23/2014Very pricey for what you get. The cocktails were watered down, the salad was on a saucer and totally overpriced. I had the rockfish with fresh tomato salsa which was excellent. My brother had the lamb and steak combo which was also good. His wife had the scallops and she said it was good. However, $10 for a salad and $4.50 for a cup of salad outweighs the pros for me. If you want a special place and are close to it, then experience it.Special Features:
- Lunch at Tersiguel'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014As always, Tersiguel's delivers--outstanding, attentive, and knowledgeable waitstaff, food that isnfresh and innovative, and a comprehensive wine list. It is always aleasure to dine here, for lunch or dinner. Tersiguel's never dissapoints.Special Features:
- great service equal to great foodRegularChicagoDinerVIPDined on 8/3/2014This is a very genteel restaurant with service that is impeccable, friendly without over-familiarity, and that accompanies French classics with a few interesting twists. The food is above average for even good french restaurants here in the states. Well worth the cost. Nice reasonable wine list with some high ends you can splurge for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tersiguel's for Restaurant WeekDoubleTeeDined on 8/3/2014We had dinner at Tersiguel's near the end of Restaurant Week. The bread was fresh, service was excellent and the food was delicious! Beautiful presentation of the Salmon and the Coconut Sorbet, while pleasing to the taste buds. Decor was a bit dated, but super experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServicebestboopDined on 8/2/2014The escargot was the best I have ever tasted. However, the potatoes in the soup were not fully cooked. We waited over 40 minutes for our food to arrive. She did not apologize for the wait. When asked about our order, she said "the kitchen is aware that you are ready", & "It's the kitchen, not me". When the food arrived, it was cold. A filet mignon ordered "medium" was nearly rare. He told her the filet was "fleshy". She replied "fleshy"?; took his plate & said to the bus person "fleshy". Most of us did not eat our food because it was cold or not cooked properly and the bill was almost $400. So, unfortunately, I cannot rate the quality of the food because we did not eat most of it.
- DisappointedHeatherVIPDined on 8/2/2014First time to this restaurant and found it underwhelming. Both our dishes were disappointing and the ambience left much to be desired (do not sit upstairs). Wine list also grossly overpriced - very hard to see a $20 bottle marked up to $70. That's fine for a restaurant catering to business travelers but not for a restaurant in a town with empty storefronts. Do not plan on returning.
- Pleasant surprisehowardVIPDined on 7/31/2014We are Washingtonians. Read of this restaurant in Baltimore magazine. Went with some friends from Baltimore. Lived up to its rating. Excellent meal and service.Special Features:
- Perfect, every timephillyfoodieDined on 7/31/2014I've been coming to Tersiguel's for nearly 20 years now, and while I'm almost reluctant to share Howard County's best-kept dining secret, everyone really should know how wonderful this place is. Simply put, it's outstanding food, wonderful service, and a relaxing and charming atmosphere. It isn't often that you have food this good without any pretension, but at Tersiguel's that's what you get, every time. Suggested: appetizers - any specials, escargot, seasonal salads. Entrees: salmon, filet, poulet, any specials. Desserts: mousse and chocolate flourless cake.Special Features:
- Classic Rustic French CuisinepchakDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I enjoyed celebrating our wedding anniversary at Tersiguel's. The food was excellent, the appetizer, main course and dessert all showed complexity of flavor given the relatively simple ingredients. The dining room is a bit dated, but it does have some charm. The maitre d and waitstaff were all very attentive and gracious.Special Features:
- KarenDined on 7/27/2014Food and presentation was fantastic. Friendly atmosphere by all staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceMGJSDined on 7/26/2014I really could not say enough about the staff of Tersiguel's. I made reservations online. Judging by the website I asked for a specific room for some privacy for me and the lady. I called ahead two days prior to confirm, all was well. Got a call from the head waiter, Charlie, awesome guy. I didn't realize certain rooms were open based on nightly volume, which he explained. However, he set aside some space for us a little separate from everyone else in the enclosed patio. I'm flexible, so went with it. From the moment we arrived, we were taken care of. The room:perfect, the food and wine: matched, we had Charlie's undivided attention. Four hours later, we left. Start to finish, one of the best dining experiences I've had in years.Special Features:
- Great eveningSeamusDined on 7/26/2014My Husband and I went there for restaurant week and had a very enjoyable meal. The amuse-bouche was a very simple crostini with pickled carrot, not bad. We both ate the Potage Parmentier and thought it was merely average at best. He had a Rockfish filet wrapped in a thin pastry with a softcrab on top which he described as fantastic. I had the Boeuf à la Bourguignonne and though it was fairly good, I expected a more flavorful sauce for the high price tag. There was a small plate of squash with fresh mint to share which nicely prepared and not overcooked. I had a the Crème Caramel au Café which had good flavor but had separated a good bit;his Mouse was very good.Service was outstanding and the decor I would describe as Country Elegant?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticjohncDined on 7/25/2014The absolute best restaurant in the Baltimore area. My wife and I have been to dozens of restaurants between Maryland and DC and we always come back to Tersiguel's. The food is always nothing less than perfect and the service is fantastic. You truly feel like you are pampered when dining at Tersiguel's. The staff is so professional and you can tell that they are treated well by management because of their unrelenting attention to detail, manners, and the fact that they don't overwhelm or both you as the guest. They give you a complimentary hors d'oeuvre on the house and bring out house vegetables, straight from the garden with whatever you eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentKaren3catzDined on 7/20/2014Staff friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Knowledgable about wine pairings. Food always fresh and delicious. Always a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!!SRS7Dined on 7/19/2014I took my friend for our birthdays. The food was delicious, the service was spot on and we had a great night. I completely recommend their blue cheese casesr salad as well as the New York strip steak. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion locationdolanjpDined on 7/19/2014Great food, incredible service. A little pricey, but worth it for the food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another home run!MDNeighborDined on 7/17/2014When my friend of 50 years wanted to take me out for my birthday, he had no trouble deciding on the best restaurant for us. We dismissed many fine restaurants in DC and its closest suburbs because of traffic congestion and parking issues and decided on my own county, where Tersiguel's is the best. It has a small-town, yet sophisticated, atmosphere and is quiet enough for civilized conversation. The wait staff/maitre d' was super attentive. Our dinners included an elegant potato-and-leek soup, a refined version of socca, an over-the-top Caesar salad, a large steak that got its final searing table-side, perfectly cooked melt-in-your mouth rare tuna, and fresh beans from the restaurant's garden. A fresh berry Napoleon provided a sweet ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were spot onAdmiralRedsDined on 7/12/2014I have found that ordering appitizers at lunch time is a fun thing to do and of course sharing is half the fun. The bread at Tersiguel's is out of this world. While my companion was not over the moon about her steak she did send it back and was presented with a second steak (in the Chef's defence no steak should be ordered medium well) The second steak was ordered medium rare and in my opinion was very tasty. The salmon...the salmon oh wow! A good time was had! Dessert..OMG..the mousse was perfect the fruit tart was beautiful but the cheese cake was out of this world!Special Features:
- Fantastic, as alwaysjohnnybuddhaDined on 7/11/2014We've been Tersiguel's several times before, usually for special occasions such as birthdays or our anniversary. We celebrated our 21st anniversary on 11 July with dinner. We had the Caesar Salad - the homemade dressing is delightful - and Potato Leek soup. Chef sent an eggplant amuse bouche. Entrees: Scallops in passion fruit brown butter and beet risotto, rockfish in pastry with saffron Yukon golds and seafood infused sauce. Dessert was a Napoleon with Meyer lemon cream and blueberries in red currant syrup. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. The sauces complement the protein perfectly, the protein is cooked just right. The service is spot on: there when you need them, absent while you are enjoying the food. Excellent spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerDincroftonDined on 7/8/2014We always select a restaurant we've never been to for our anniversary dinner. Some we never go to a second time. Not so this one. It has it all, great food and drink, very attentive wait staff and convenient parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in a great town!Lovefrench21Dined on 7/2/2014The restaurant was great and really good service!! Delicious food and all very fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cozy and romantic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014We visited for our wedding anniversary and all was perfect. It was very romantic and the staff worked to make it special for us. I highly recommend this restaurant - it is pricey and worth every dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/19/2014My family went for lunch and the food was just ok. We had omlettes and other dishes. After hearing reviews over the years I just expected more. Dated looking interior, weathered, faded artwork just looked very blah. During lunch it was warm in restaurant despite not being a very hot day. Sitting in glass enclosed room would have been worse. Overall, it was ok but not deserving of a return trip.
- FlawlessOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2014Perfect execution of classic dishes as well as modern takes on seasonal fare. The service was polished to a level seldom see in today's dining scene. If you have not been...go. We'll be backSpecial Features:
- As Always a Great ExperienceAnnie727Dined on 6/13/2014Tersiguel's is my favorite restaurant anywhere and they never disappoint. The appetizer was new - an offering of 4 differently prepared seafood selections for 2 to share. As neither of us at calamari we were able to get two portions of the crab. Who would have ever thought of pairing crab with garlic mashed potatoes but it worked deliciously! Our main dishes were as expected - superb. As we were celebrating my friend's birthday, the waitress brought out his dessert with a candle for him to blow out - none of the embarrassing sing so many places do, just a sweet touch to a special meal.Special Features:
- Definitely Worth ItOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014My girlfriend and I visited Tersiguel's for lunch. We followed a friend's recommendation to make sure we had a reservation but there were a few tables still open when we arrived. It seems a great deal of care goes into the food, the service and the overall atmosphere here. This restaurant is a little pricey but the food and the service are amazing.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsSusjeanDined on 6/8/2014Dining at Tersiquels is always a pleasure with courteous and pleasant wait staff, excellent kitchen and good wine list. Our favorite place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencebim08Dined on 6/7/2014We were in Ellicott City recently and ate at Tersiguel's for the second time, the first time many years ago. The house/restaurant was charming and tables set beautifully. The food, my husband's halibut over mussels and cooked vegetables, was delicious, and my legume/vegetarian plate of fresh cooked and raw vegetables prepared in many different and interesting and delicious ways, was wonderful. Our waiter was extremely friendly, knowledgeable, attentive, and passionate about the food. We're thinking of making a special trip to take friends there for a celebratory dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st birthday partyStellaDined on 6/3/2014We took our nephew here for his 21st birthday. We wanted it to be a memorable time for him, and it was. He ordered his first Old Fashioned! The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. We knew we scored when he started taking pictures for bragging rights. It was expensive (close to $100 per person) but worth it for a very special occasion.Special Features:
- spadoinkle75Dined on 5/31/2014food was good but extremely expensive for what you got. However our server was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite RestaurantWonderHonDined on 5/30/2014I love this place. Quiet, subdued, and civilized without being stuffy. Everyone here loves food and it shows. Some may quibble about the cost (it's high), and I can only afford it a couple of times a year, but it's worth every penny. The experience of dining here is perfect; food, service, atmosphere. I've had more memorable French food, but that was in Paris a few years ago... Every visit here reminds me of that experience. (Have I mentioned that I love this place?)Special Features:
- Wonderful French RetreatEandLsearchingDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I have dined at Tersiguels In Ellicott City, MD many times. Each time is better than the previous, and we always discuss our next visit with great excitement. The food is always fantastic, the service is always top notch, and the ambience is is true country French. The founder, Fernand Tersiguel, although officially "retired", is usually on hand to greet guests in a gracious, heartfelt manner, with stories of his native France and his beloved grand children. When we visit Tersiguels, it's as though we've travelled back to France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSharonVIPDined on 5/24/2014Everything about Tersiguel's is wonderful. This was our fifth meal at Tersiguel's and each time we try a different appetizer, entree, and dessert. The food and service remain second to none. Thank you for another phenomenal dining experience. We look forward to our next meal with you.Special Features:
- AmazingLovetoeatDined on 5/24/2014This was our first time here, and it was amazing. Everything was perfect. Best dining experience I have had. Cant wait to return and explore more of the menu! The food was sensational.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/20/2014We come for our anniversary dinner every year and other special occasions and are never disappointed. The food is wonderful and the staff superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingCharleyBrownDined on 5/15/2014I've had many excellent meals here before, but the Prix Fixe menu the other night was comprised of avery poor salad and a well-prepared salmon that lacked any flavor whatsoever. I'm hoping this was all a fluke. We really enjoy coming here and have held many family occasions here in the past. I've had many excellent, expensive, meals here before, but the Prix Fixe menu the other night was comprised of avery poor salad and a well-prepared salmon that lacked any flavor whatsoever. I'm hoping this was all a fluke. We've had some good family time here before.Special Features:
- BIRTHDAY LUNCHEONtdn2801Dined on 5/15/2014We three ladies celebrate our May birthdays annually at Tersiguel's....it's been our custom for 6 or 7 years. The service was outstanding and we loved the country paté.....and the soupe aux poisson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cusiine and service!MelindaTerryDined on 5/11/2014Tersiguel's provides wonderful French country cuisine. Also, the atmosphere is charming and relaxing. All the waitresses, waiters and hosts (i.e. family) are professional and very friendly. Their Prix Fixe dinners are absolutely delicious and always a winner. The Tersiguel master chef never misses, and has the pedigree to match (Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.