Terrain Garden Cafe
561 Post Road East
Westport, CT 06880Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $30 and under
Terrain Garden Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shopterrain.com/westport-restaurant
- Phone: 2032262742x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Allow terrain in Westport to host your next special event.
Our services include: Personal Chef Dinners, Picnics, Showers, Afternoon Tea, Rehearsal Dinners, Anniversaries, Engagement Parties and Fundraisers.
A word from Terrain Garden Cafe
Share our local, organic meals with close family and friends as you create lasting memories in our charming indoor/outdoor setting. We work tirelessly to craft an environment that aesthetically and gastronomically reflects the cycle of the seasons and the local Westport community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Terrain Garden Cafe - Best Restaurants in Westport ›
Terrain Garden Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (63)great for lunch (49)fit for foodies (44)great for brunch (42)neighborhood gem (24)special occasion (16)good for groups (14)romantic (14)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (10)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- Lovely family brunch.SusanDined on 9/14/2014There were four of us at Sunday brunch on a gorgeous day. We arrived 40 minutes early for our reservation but were seated within 5 minutes of arriving at an outdoor table as requested. The brunch menu has a nice variety of items available. A couple members of our family can be somewhat limited on what they will eat and we were all able to find something delicious. The food was hot and arrived in a timely manner. We enjoyed the Monte Christo, the pesto gnocchi and scrambled eggs and perfectly cooked bacon, sausage and pork belly. My daughters love the presentation of the bread in the terra cotta pot and it tastes great too. It was delightful to enjoy the crisp, sunny day viewing all the pumpkins, plants and fall offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was healthy creative and delicious. We had 3 different lunches and all were fabulousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliably pleasantfoodiefestVIPDined on 9/6/2014food is always very good. service is always excellent. beautiful outdoor setting.Special Features:
- very good.muffinloves2eatDined on 9/6/2014great brunch,delicious food,great ambiance.fun and helpful wait staff..delightful store after you finish brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garden likefoodloverDined on 9/5/2014I loved sitting among the plants for dinner al fresco. We had 3 course prix fixe which was delicious and not too pricey. Highly recommend Terrain.Special Features:
- lunchladiesDined on 9/4/2014We were a group of 8 for lunch and all our food came out at the same time. It was delicious and the waiter was extremely accommodating. There were plenty of options for dietary issues on the menu. We spent a long time over lunch, chatting etc. and we were not hurried at any point in the meal. Will go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could go more often!DriveAnHour4GoodFoodDined on 8/31/2014Absolutely LOVE this restaurant. Excellent food that is well crafted every step of the way.Special Features:
- Great fresh foodRumorredDined on 8/30/2014We've eaten here several times. It's a very nice atmosphere. The staff is usually very helpful, and the food is fresh and good. We are mainly vegetarian, so can only address that part of the menu. Generally gets four stars. This last meal was not up to the usual expectation. The mushrooms had a wonderful rich taste but too much salt in the soy sauce. The side of lentils was nice, but could have used a tangier vinaigrette. The quinoa salad is super (as always). This one was a mix of barley fresh vegetables greens and herbs. The main dish of lentils was very good, especially if you dig deep for the garlic sauce. The celery lime sorbet was a great palate cleanser. In Westport, it remains a great option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable outdoor yummy mealSageDined on 8/28/2014I went to Terrain with a friend and ate outside. The food was great - fresh and well done. The ambiance is great outside - you can't believe you are in Westport on the Post Road! So quiet and surrounded by nature. The service was excellent and attentive. My only complaint is that the outdoor chairs are uncomfortable. Otherwise, a great place. I've been for brunch, lunch and dinner and like it for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinning in garden atmosphere .GlobetrotterVIPDined on 8/27/2014If you go to dinner plan to get there way before six if you want to shop in the retail section because it closes at 6, and it was disappointing . We will go back to the restaurant again and again. Very fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine & ShopOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014Lovely outdoor dining. Shop while you wait for your table.Special Features:
- kiki123Dined on 8/20/2014The food is outstanding as well as the service. We are foodies and give Terrain a 10! Staff are true professionals and chefs go beyond the call of duty with the freshest food available that season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect placeWillReturnDined on 8/15/2014For a solid, low key dinner or lunch experience. Service was prompt, food delicious. The burger is arguably one of the best in town. The chicken is also delicious (and we don't usually go for the chicken). It's all done quite well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly goodLoisAveDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I went for the novelty and were happily surprised by the fresh, well prepared brunch options and special touches (bread baked in a flower pot accompanied by herbed butter). It was a bit more than we'd typically spend but a worthwhile splurge on occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful brunch!macdlcDined on 8/10/2014We had yet another outstanding and creative meal at Terrain. Sitting outside in their garden cafe is very pleasant, but when combined with a great meal, it makes a very special time. All our meals- burger, omelette, monte cristo and breakfast plate had unexpected elements. Loved it. And our server Melissa made the meal even better. She is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WestportfactorDined on 8/2/2014ate outside in garden area--most pleasant. Rib eye was excellent. Haddock overcooked. Carrot five ways was misconceived mush. Waiter most helpful. Wine list short but well drawn up and very appropriate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014very good food, service and atmosphere! Enjoy for date night with your spouse !Special Features:
- Enchanting!MelBDined on 7/27/2014We came for brunch on a Sunday and we're blown away by the beauty of the place. We enjoyed everything from the delicious bread to the creative cocktails. All in all we will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a dreamLgm1984VIPDined on 7/26/2014Went here on a whim because they had a dinner reservation fast. Everything was so amaIng that we returned for brunch the next day. It feels like a fairy tale. The food was so flavorful and creative. I can't wait to see how they change things for upcoming seasons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!Arm818VIPDined on 7/26/2014Great cocktails, cheese board was the best I ever had! Meals were so fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!BobbiVIPDined on 7/25/2014I heard it was great but a little leary of eating in a store's nursery dept. Couldn't have been lovelier. Great waitstaff. Salad was good but Halibut was amazing. Felt like a private garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placehappyeatsDined on 7/20/2014Terrain is my go-to for brunch, lunch and the occasional dinner. The atmosphere is relaxing eye candy and the food is usually very good (a miss once in a while but when it's right, it's really right). This is a great spot for lunch and weekend brunch. The dinner scene is a little less busy than the lunch scene so it makes for a nice quiet romantic dinner. Not a good place to dine if you don't enjoy your company. Allow time before or after your meal to do some shopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placefoodloveDined on 7/19/2014this place is such a find. the setting, indoor or out, is amazing. you are surrounded by plants and nature! i've been there twice, and both times we had a fabulous server. the menu is smallish but outstanding. really good food. i will def go back again.Special Features:
- Favorite lunch spotLikegoodfoodDined on 7/11/2014Fresh food, refreshing menu, relaxed ambiance, a treasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Charming and hip, just like the store. A real gem. The food was a bit unusual, but that's Terrain, and that's what makes the little cafe, hip.Special Features:
- Disappointmentflutegirl4Dined on 6/21/2014The service and ambiance were really fantastic. We eat outdoors on a perfect evening amidst all the flowers. Unfortunately, the food fell far short. Our quinoa salad (which we shared) was nice, though not great. Both of us ordered halibut as an entree. We returned because it was overcooked. Our server was totally gracious about this, as she agreed it was overdone. Second attempt was cooked appropriately, but the dish was very bland. The cost for our dinner, without any liquor was $100.00. Sadly, we will not be returning.
- In a word...Yumjacreme3828Dined on 6/17/2014My first lunch at Terrain with a friend who came up for NYC. First treat, the hot bread, served in a flower pot...kind of like a huge popover. It was delicious. I had the Barley, wheatberry, quinoa salad which was excellent. Loved the atmosphere... you're eating in a giant garden store, but the cafe feels very secluded. And when you're done eating, you can explore the store, which is a treat unto itself.Special Features:
- OK but pricy.LiketodineDined on 6/15/2014Staff very friendly. Ambiance and setting very nice. Service slow. Food OK. Impressive setting.Special Features:
- Need more helpOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014This is the second time I've gone to this gorgeous restaurant when the service was grindingly slow. Other visits were excellent. The servers are lovely but there just aren't enough of them. A long wait to give an order and an eternity before the food came. Usually the food is great but this time average at best. And stay away from the Monte Cristo.
- Great MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/30/2014Very creative presentation. The menu was diverse and included some pairings of flavors that were interesting. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, new to the area.JvfoodDined on 5/25/2014My partner and I decided to go after he had stumbled into this place driving up and down the post rd. they have indoor and outdoors seating which is great. We went for brunch and it was a beautiful day so we sat outside. The brunch menu wasn't too big but offered enough. They also had specials to offer that day as well too. There was also a couple who brought their dog so it's pet friendly too. The wine and drink menu was good, they had Serrano whites, red, rose, and sparkling. The cocktails were really nice too. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice garden relaxing atmosphere to enjoy nature and have great food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 204 reviews are from the Terrain Garden Cafe reviews archive.
- StorybooktmsommeDined on 5/17/2014Menu features natural, organic, sustainable farm-to-table small plates and entrées. Bar highlights local wines and six regional beers. This upscale indoor/outdoor garden café has a distinctive style for a memorable year-round dining experience. Potted orchids and lacy ferns give diners the sensation of eating in a botanical garden. Concrete floors, hanging utility light fixtures and exposed vents offer this spacious industrial feel. Thoughful details like hot bread whimsically served in clay pots and drinks in Ball canning jars give Terrain its charmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful garden center settingStrategiesVIPDined on 5/15/2014Terrain is a great destination for a good meal in special surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful restaurantjadesanDined on 5/14/2014I have dined at Terrain a number of times and like the atmosphere very much. This time, however, both my sister and I did not particularly like our entrees. I do not like cilantro, and I do not recall it listed as an ingredient in my entree or I would not have ordered the dish. People either like cilantro or loathe it. When including it in a recipe, it should always be listed as an ingredient. The bread was absolutely delicious., warm and crusty. My 2 guests enjoyed the experience and both said they would definitely return, as will I.Special Features:
- Spend the afternoondining513Dined on 5/13/2014Took friends to celebrate a birthday. Loved walking around the garden shop. So many wonderful plants and garden items. Enjoyed a delicious lunch in an open and airy room filled with plants. Great service. Pleasant way to spend the afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Came here on a Saturday night. Food was delicious, well presented. The filet was done perfectly. We will be back!Special Features:
- Terrain CafeLK06824Dined on 5/9/2014We got there later and they were still very accommodating. Our waitress was outstanding!! We ordered the chefs tasting which was phenomenal and I would highly recommend! There was so much food we all took home bags! I would definitely go back and would request Melissa as a waitress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch in outdoor gardenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2014Delicious food, great service and beautiful ambiance! Their food is made from what they grow and so each day the flavors could be different and their menu can constantly change. But no matter what you order it is delicious. The bread homemade comes out hot and in cute little jars, and you enjoy feeling surrounded by beautiful plants as you drink out of your jar cup. The service in the restaurant is friendly and competent. When you are done with your meal let yourself truly enjoy the experience and walk around the beautiful store.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch @ TerrainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Reservations for lunch made several weeks before the actual day requested with specific request for a window table...arrived @ 12:20 for the requested 12:30 seating to find that request for location was not honored. Subsequently it was by happenchance that a window table did open...we had to wait for the table to be prepped however. Table service very good...food was good, generous portions, but a house salad was a 'pile' of bagged mixed greens, no pizzazz. Waitress chatty and cheery although obviously covering several tables. Hopefully the kitchen area is cleaner than the rest rooms!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- henleyDined on 4/20/2014My husband, Tony, and I and our friends, Ruth and Bob Moran, all thoroughly enjoyed the brunch on Easter Sunday. My husband, who can be particularly finnicky, said he really enjoyed the food, and we all look forward to returning for dinner sometime soon. The only element of concern is the noise level, which we understand cannot be helped. Thank you for a great job. Sincerely, Leslie FreybergSpecial Features: