1345 Railroad Ave
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://terrarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (707) 963-8931
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Mon, W-Th 6:00pm-8:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Hiro Sone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We enjoy bring Terra to your party for up to 150 people. While not always available with enough notice Hiro and Lissa can make your event very special. The menus we suggest are from the current menus we offer at the restaurant. Local farm grown vegetables, meats and fish. A true restaurant experience in your home.
- Private Party Facilities: Terra can be reserved for your private party. The room seats up to 40 people and is a gracious room for celebrating. Our menus are custom created for each party from our current menu so everything is very seasonal and local. Dietary requirements are seriously respected. Please see our website for photos of the room set up for a private party and a sample menu.
- Private Party Contact: Lissa Doumani 7079638931
A word from Terra Restaurant
Terra Restaurant has been a leading restaurant in the Napa Valley since 1988. Set in a historic field stone building, Terra gives you the feeling of the Napa Valley, or some have said the French country side. We are proud to be part of such an important area not just for food but also for wine (Our family owns Quixote Winery). We are, Hiro and Lissa the chef/owners of Terra and love to work closely with the local growers for our vegetables and the farms that raise the meats we serve. Incredible dairies that make the cheese and the fishermen that bring in the catch we serve. The connection to the land and the people is why we love what we do. Terra serves a prix fix menu of 4, 5 or 6 courses. Terra has received a Michelin Star since the first award in 2007 and each year since then. Hiro Sone received the James Beard Award for Best Chef California in 2003 and Terra received James Beard Award for Outstanding Service-2008. The San Francisco Chronicle gave Terra & Bar Terra 3 1/2 stars.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Terra Restaurant - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Terra Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (70)special occasion (63)romantic (52)notable wine list (42)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Amazing!KristinDined on 11/14/2014We were celebrating my husbands birthday with friends and it was fabulous! We were never rushed and the food was delightful. The ambiance was romantic and each course served on perfect timing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cuisine good, but not as haute as the prices.5mwazDined on 11/14/2014The whole experience was good, nothing to complain about excluding the price. I don't mind paying a lot for really interesting food, but felt I could make most of the dishes myself (jerusalem artichoke soup, scallop and tripe ragout). If I pay a lot for a meal , I want to be impressed by it!Special Features:
- Excellent!LoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 11/10/2014We were in Napa Valley for five days and had wonderful food each evening, however, this was our favorite restaurant . The three of us each order the four course dinner and had twelve different courses to savor. We enjoyed every course from the beginning to the end. I highly recommend Terra Restaurant if you are looking for a quiet and romantic dinning experience.Special Features:
- Very Nice RestauranteatnwriteDined on 11/8/2014The dining room is lovely, intimate - warm and beautifully lit. The servers were very helpful and attentive. The food was good - some courses much better than others. The problem I have with restaurants of this sort, which offer price fixed meals with a choice of number of courses, is that there is little way of knowing the size of a course. How much food will I be getting on each plate? That was the difficulty at Terra where there was a choice of 4, 5 or 6 courses. We decided to go with five. At the end of the meal everyone agreed four would have been just fine. Too much food is not appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great interesting dinner experienceSgFoodieDined on 11/7/2014Very enjoyable dinner small intimate restaurant. Different experience as you customize your own individual menu from the list. Food was high quality and service very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a romantic dinnerJlb718Dined on 11/3/2014Terra was what we chose for our first night in the valley to celebrate our 10th anniversary. There is a separate dining room and then a bar area with seating (separated by a foyer with two doors). The dining area is a very intimate quiet space with exposed brick and wine wall. It's extremely tasteful. Terra offers prix fix in 4 5 or 6 courses. The food was Californian cuisine with some Asian fusion. It was wonderful. The food was not heavy and there are many fish options. It was a wonderful way to decompress after flying and leaving behind reality for the week. The service was excellent- composed and calm but very knowledgable. I got the feeling she had been there Forever and was wise with all things Dining related.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Savory Culinary Treat!rjfoodsnobDined on 11/1/2014We have dined at Terra a number of times over the years with this last being a real culinary treat. A savory experience from the Crudo, Lobster Tortellini, Black Cod in Shiso Broth, Acqua Pazza Crazy Water, Quail with Duck Foie Sauce, Grilled Strip Stake and finishing with Sorbet with a Coconut Tuile and Tiramisu that was over the top! Best ever dining experience at Terra, thanks to the creative chefs!Special Features:
- Superb eveningMaveDined on 10/19/2014Food, service, atmosphere superb. Compliments to the chef and the server. We had a wonderful special occasion meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An exquisite experience to cherishSolAztecaDined on 10/19/2014Celebrated a romantic dinner for two on my partner's birthday and it was an all around beautifully crafted evening. The food was artful and beyond delicious! The staff was knowledgeable and inviting. The ambiance was comforting and sophisticated. And the wine service was signatory of world class. Thank for every kind and delectable detail which made this one of the most memorable dining affairs to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terra was a Unique ExperienceTWRCDined on 10/18/2014Chef Hiro Sone is an absolute genius. His ability to create such amazing French and Italian dishes with a bit of an Asian twist sets him apart from most other chefs. The service was top notch and I wouldn't even think twice about booking another reservation at Terra. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great first night in Napa Valley.BruceTexasVIPDined on 10/17/2014A fabulous restaurant with a unique tasting menu. You create your own experience by choosing either a four, five or six course dinner. Wine pairings are available and I would recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Cal and JapaneseHulagirlDined on 10/17/2014Although it is tasting menu, there is enough to share between two of us. Wide range to choose from. Server was super friendly yet reserved.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2014Fabulous food, good wine and an intimate dinner on our anniversary. Especially enjoyed the risotto and pork jowl and the Chawam mushySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and ExcellentJohnnyKDined on 10/12/2014My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Terra for her birthday. Terra has a great atmosphere and the service was first rate from the moment we walked in. Our server explained the tasting courses very well and happily answered all questions we had about various dishes. I love the world cuisine and fusion elements of the menu. Between us we had Japanese, Greek, Italian and California cuisine, all lovingly presented and each bite a real treat. Wonderful overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food..Poor ServiceRobertCVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had wonderful steaks. All were perfectly prepared and tasty. The sides, too, were delicious. Everything about the food was wonderfull, but the service was poor. Our waitress treated us like we were an annoyance. She was inattentive and seemed distracted. Too bad because otherwise our experience was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terra ~St Helena, CA~foodkingDined on 10/4/2014To be honest, I was a bit apprehensive about going to Terra with it's eclectic Japanese fusion spin on things. What a mistake that would have been. The Japanese savory custard was superb. As was the perfectly flavored and cooked Black Cod in a rich miso broth. All of the dishes we ate that evening were first rate and beyond. They also have a very nice wine list and the prices are excellent. If you're planning a trip to the Napa valley you need to have a meal at Terra or maybe two. Hopefully, my wife and I can make it back there again one day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantMichelleDined on 10/2/2014Terra's prix fixe menu is a great way to try the chefs selections. We loved the dishes with subtle Asian influence. The capellini with caviar reminded me of cold soba. Excellent flavor for what appears to be a simple dish. Our favorite was the pork jowl with stinging nettle risotto- the carmalized yuzu was perfect with the risotto and flavorful roasted pork that tasted as if it had a touch of tamari. Both of our desserts were outstanding - the pavlova and the sorbet. This is a gem in the Napa Valley where it stands amongst so many restaurants that are over hyped. We loved it and will be back every chance we get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrairiegirlDined on 9/29/2014The pork jowel alone is worth a trip to the napa valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ImpressedLovefoodVIPDined on 9/28/2014This is a small quaint restaurant with many delicious menu choices. Some dishes have an Asian flair to them, that I love! There is a bar side to the restaurant that is more casual, but offers the same menu from the more formal dining room if wanted. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and wineSFwineluvDined on 9/19/2014The amazingly orchestrated experience we had was absolutely top notch. From the warm greeting, to the ambiance, the service, the food, and of course the wine, this was by far one of the best. The food is excellent in every way. The thing to do here is to ask for their sommelier if you are drinking wine. He's vastly knowledgable and genuinely cares about pairing wine with your different courses or introduce you to a rare find on the list at an affordable price tag. On our next visit we look forward to picking his brain and enjoying some amazing wines again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Besides excellent food and service we met the chef and his wife who were fascinating to talk to.Special Features:
- FabulousJMcKayVIPDined on 9/14/2014What a delightful evening. I have only one complaint, it was difficult to choose what I didn't want on the tasting menu!! And much to my expectations, any choice I made would be the right one. The service was perfect: knowledgeable, helpful, patient but available, etc. I cannot wait to return. Regardless of the number of options of fine fare in the valley, Terra will be a definite repeat for me.Special Features:
- This is a Bar side review.LovefoodVIPDined on 9/11/2014I didn't know that there is a Bar side that is also available for dining. It is possible to have the same dinner menu as the formal dining room. The Bar side is not open for reservations on Open Table so you need to call direct. The food is fabulous! I love Asian food and the Chef does a wonderful job of adding that touch to the menu. The cold capellini with caviar and marinated cucumbers was delicious! The Chawanmushi, which is an egg custard soup was fabulous. I have only had this dish in formal Japanese restaurants so it was a treat! The service was great and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the best.NanceDined on 9/8/2014A parade of fantastic delicacy delivered by top-notch service.. The lobster tortellini with truffle was the best dish ever.Special Features:
- Outstanding choice in NapaJohnCVIPDined on 9/6/2014A small, intimate restaurant with outstanding service and national-class food deserving of its Michelin star, and perhaps two. The tasting menu allows selection of four, five or six items from a reasonably large range of choices. We thought all dishes were well, indeed beautifully, executed other than halibut, which was a little tough. Diverse wine list, somewhat expensive but many choices below $70. Sommelier directed us to an unusual and outstanding wine we'd never have tried. Desserts were really incredible. Service was perfect. Dressier than most Napa destinations. Think around $150 per person with wine, tax and tip, so not an every day place.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerRomanticVIPDined on 9/6/2014Had a great dinner experience with course menu. We were extremely pleased with amazing food and attentive service. Everything was right on point from service to food. All courses were in balance and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/5/2014Highly recommend eating here. Fabulous food and wonderful staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every penny.livtoeatDined on 9/5/2014Service was great and every morsel of food was perfection. I had Toro Crudo (wonderful and light starter), Black Cod (broth was DIVINE!), Abalone (very unique dish) & the Stone Fruit Crisp (heaven). Dining here after a wonderful day of wine tasting made my day a dream come true.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought Visitors from MNcphageorgeDined on 9/4/2014Having been here before, I knew what to expect. I love the small plate concept so that one can enjoy the multi-talented Lissa & Hiro's culinary skills. The crudo plate with a choice of blue fin tuna toro grades was cut a little too thick for my tastes when eating sashimi, but the fish was deliciously prepared. I just thought that to enjoy the essence of the chu-toro, thinner slices would have been my preference. The lobster tortelloni in sauce Americaine with English peas & Shimeji mushrooms was an artfully prepared dish...all the components melded into a delicious example of highlighting the sweetness of the lobster meat. The sauce Americaine was divine! The service was outstanding yet unobtrusive...very professional!Special Features:
- Superb in every regardOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I were visiting Napa Valley from Los Angeles and decided to make a reservation at Terra for our anniversary on the recommendation of friends who have dined there. We are so glad we did. Our reservation was for 7:00PM on a Saturday night. We each opted for the four course tasting menu which allowed us to sample eight different courses as each serving was sizable enough for two people. Between us we chose six savory dishes, a cheese plate and one dessert. Everything was fantastically deliciously. My favorite dishes were the Black Cod (apparently it has been on the menu since the restaurant's opening in the late 80s), a stinging nettle risotto with pork jowel, the crudo which was shashimi, and the Abalone dish.Special Features:
- Pricey but GoodWintersDined on 8/25/2014They serve prix fix-- 4, 5, of 6 courses. One can choose to have anything on the menu for each of the courses, i.e., all desserts, all main course, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in St. HelenaWeirdHaroldDined on 8/23/2014We have dined here once before. This time the food was far and away the best we have had in recent outings. Five stars !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014This place is a culinary delight. Very different and creative cuisine. If in Saint Helena, this is a definite stop for an elegant dinner at a fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very exoticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Food was very exotic. It is like a Japanese and French fusion type of food. Small dishes but are very good and rich in flavor. A little pricey but it was worth it.Special Features:
- Celebrated anniversaryCalistogaDuoDined on 8/10/2014We had a great evening at Terra - great food, wonderful service. I like that the food is not tricked-out, as so many restaurants are doing. It's just wonderful combinations, particularly with an Asian-touch, so the taste are just enough different to be a surprise, without overpowering the basic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014A charming intimate restaurant, the food was delicious, the service fantastic.Special Features:
- Great place....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014Fourth time I have eaten here, and this was the BEST. Really just about perfect food from start to finish. Love the way you choose any 4/5/6 courses. There were 4 of us and we had a great sampling of items and almost every one of them merited a "wow." Our waiter, Andrew, was very nice and extremely informed about the food. Told us the basics but when we asked questions he could go into amazing and interesting detail. The pacing was nice and slow. While the price isn't cheap, what you get for your buck is pretty amazing. We shall return!Special Features:
- outstandingdortsVIPDined on 8/9/2014Nothing more to say...it was outstanding. Why try any other place. Just save your pennies and go to Terra. It is an experience! The creativity of the menu is worth 5 stars! Thank you for being here in the valley.Special Features:
- Cozy and Delish!PaigeVIPDined on 8/9/2014Love the stone building in which it is housed--very romantic. The main dining room is cozy yet sexy and the food was fabulous, esp the Asian inspired dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnernene722VIPDined on 8/8/2014Best place we have been to in St. Helena! We have been coming to the Napa Valley for 7 years and unfortunately this year was the first we tried Terra. We have definitely been missing out! The food is fantastic. The service was great. We will make this our go to place next year!Special Features: