1345 Railroad Ave
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://terrarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079638931
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Mon, W-Th 6:00pm-8:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Hiro Sone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We enjoy bring Terra to your party for up to 150 people. While not always available with enough notice Hiro and Lissa can make your event very special. The menus we suggest are from the current menus we offer at the restaurant. Local farm grown vegetables, meats and fish. A true restaurant experience in your home.
- Private Party Facilities: Terra can be reserved for your private party. The room seats up to 40 people and is a gracious room for celebrating. Our menus are custom created for each party from our current menu so everything is very seasonal and local. Dietary requirements are seriously respected. Please see our website for photos of the room set up for a private party and a sample menu.
- Private Party Contact: Lissa Doumani 7079638931
A word from Terra Restaurant
Terra Restaurant has been a leading restaurant in the Napa Valley since 1988. Set in a historic field stone building, Terra gives you the feeling of the Napa Valley, or some have said the French country side. We are proud to be part of such an important area not just for food but also for wine (Our family owns Quixote Winery). We are, Hiro and Lissa the chef/owners of Terra and love to work closely with the local growers for our vegetables and the farms that raise the meats we serve. Incredible dairies that make the cheese and the fishermen that bring in the catch we serve. The connection to the land and the people is why we love what we do. Terra serves a prix fix menu of 4, 5 or 6 courses. Terra has received a Michelin Star since the first award in 2007 and each year since then. Hiro Sone received the James Beard Award for Best Chef California in 2003 and Terra received James Beard Award for Outstanding Service-2008. The San Francisco Chronicle gave Terra & Bar Terra 3 1/2 stars.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Terra Restaurant - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Terra Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)special occasion (68)romantic (57)notable wine list (31)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Fine dining in St. HelenaWeirdHaroldDined on 8/23/2014We have dined here once before. This time the food was far and away the best we have had in recent outings. Five stars !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014This place is a culinary delight. Very different and creative cuisine. If in Saint Helena, this is a definite stop for an elegant dinner at a fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very exoticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Food was very exotic. It is like a Japanese and French fusion type of food. Small dishes but are very good and rich in flavor. A little pricey but it was worth it.Special Features:
- Celebrated anniversaryCalistogaDuoDined on 8/10/2014We had a great evening at Terra - great food, wonderful service. I like that the food is not tricked-out, as so many restaurants are doing. It's just wonderful combinations, particularly with an Asian-touch, so the taste are just enough different to be a surprise, without overpowering the basic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014A charming intimate restaurant, the food was delicious, the service fantastic.Special Features:
- Great place....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014Fourth time I have eaten here, and this was the BEST. Really just about perfect food from start to finish. Love the way you choose any 4/5/6 courses. There were 4 of us and we had a great sampling of items and almost every one of them merited a "wow." Our waiter, Andrew, was very nice and extremely informed about the food. Told us the basics but when we asked questions he could go into amazing and interesting detail. The pacing was nice and slow. While the price isn't cheap, what you get for your buck is pretty amazing. We shall return!Special Features:
- outstandingdortsVIPDined on 8/9/2014Nothing more to say...it was outstanding. Why try any other place. Just save your pennies and go to Terra. It is an experience! The creativity of the menu is worth 5 stars! Thank you for being here in the valley.Special Features:
- Cozy and Delish!PaigeDined on 8/9/2014Love the stone building in which it is housed--very romantic. The main dining room is cozy yet sexy and the food was fabulous, esp the Asian inspired dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnernene722VIPDined on 8/8/2014Best place we have been to in St. Helena! We have been coming to the Napa Valley for 7 years and unfortunately this year was the first we tried Terra. We have definitely been missing out! The food is fantastic. The service was great. We will make this our go to place next year!Special Features:
- Still One of The Best In NapaGoBrownsDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went to Terra on our honeymoon and now 10 years later it is still one of the best restaurant's in all of Napa Valley. Each course of the meal was outstanding and the service was fantastic. Highlights of the meal were the Capellini Pasta with American Caviar, Alaskan Black Cod and Shrimp Dumplings and Brandt Family Strip Steak.Special Features:
- Luv2gooutVIPDined on 8/1/2014They changed their philosophy there some time ago which the owners are certainly entitled to do! They lost their excellent rating by one famous source which I do not feel was appropriate. He is still a very talented, skillful chef. The proof is there in front of you when you are presented one wonderful meal after another. I chose four of his savory entrees, and one dessert. They were all excellent. The professional critics are not always accurate! I will return there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyablefuzzcheeksVIPDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant is housed inside an imposing stone building, which adds an impressive air to the dining experience. The menu offers the freedom of choosing four or more courses from an interesting array of items. Most of the dishes were well-prepared, delicious, and reasonably sized (unlike many other Michelin-starred establishments that offer micro-portions). One or two of the menu items lacked a bit of flavor, but most were still enjoyable in terms of texture, plating, and combination of ingredients. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!QuazadoDined on 7/27/2014Went here for our anniversary. Great food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect Restaurant?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014Went with my girlfriend, left with my fiancé. Exquisite menu with superb food and perhaps the most knowledgable waiter I've had the pleasure of meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful dining experience. Will be back next time we are in Napa!Special Features:
- Must for Napa ValleySassyDined on 7/24/2014This is 2nd visit to Terra. It was as wonderful as the 1st. Ambience & service is great but the food is the star! Every course wonderful. The black cod remarkable & ended the evening with melt in your mouth chocolate dessert. Will always keep Terra as a must go when visiting the valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my top 5 list in NapaMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 7/24/2014Terra is slowly becoming my favorite restaurant in Napa. I LOVE THIS PLACE! Hiro's culinary touch is perfect: this is Californian cuisine with touches of Japanese sensibilities. The atmosphere is relaxed without the pretentiousness and the service is top notch. I'll be back again and again and again . . . well, at least, whenever I'm in town.Special Features:
- Informally sophisticatedGothamGourmandDined on 7/24/2014A wonderful dining experience. Designing your own tasting menu was a challenge with so many tempting choices. Their willingness to accommodate us when traffic from San Francisco Airport delayed our arrival was very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestNanceDined on 7/20/2014Terra is the best: service, atmosphere and (number 1) FOODSpecial Features:
- WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCEiammodDined on 7/18/2014Terra in St. Helena is a wonderful restaurant. The food is amazing and the staff goes out of their way to be helpful. We have dined ther many times and it is always top notch.Special Features:
- great food without arrogance...OpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 7/11/2014very tasty and interesting and perfectly prepared menu. while not as lavish or polished, nor arrogant, as The Meadowood, our dining experience was just as good. wine reasonably priced...Special Features:
- Just not quite worth itBlackrattusVIPDined on 7/11/2014Terra is a very nice restaurant, but at the cost it is just not worth it. There are much better restaurants with more inspired food and warmer atmospheres at much better prices. It was very good, but just didn't hit the mark. And WAY too quiet - like pin-drop quiet.Special Features:
- All about the foodBsdpmDined on 7/7/2014This place is tiny, less than 10 tables, but the food is excellent. It's a tasting menu but you get to pick your courses. The food is delicious with so many flavors. My only regret was getting a dessert instead of another savory dish.Special Features:
- Wonderful fusionRickDined on 7/6/2014The dishes were all outstanding, small compositions with a blend of French and Japanese influences. We particularly enjoyed the seafood crudo, the dumplings, the pork sugo, and the fish. The chocolate mousseline was a wonderful finish. We even bought the cookbook, published in 2000.Special Features:
- FresnofoodieDined on 6/28/2014Great food, but portions a bit large. Would not recommend more than 4 courses. We were stuffed by end of the 3rd portion. Sommelier tends toward white wines, but choices were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulloveroffoodVIPDined on 6/27/2014I'm kicking myself that I haven't been here sooner. Everything was so good and the service was excellent! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent!FoodieVIPDined on 6/21/2014Have enjoyed Terra since shortly after it opened years ago. The food and service remain excellent, and one can actually have a conversation here without excess background noise. We went with friends, and everyone thought the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique DiningDogdrDined on 6/16/2014This is a wonderful restaurant in all respects. If you want a loud, rowdy restaurant this is not it. Fine dining tapa style. Eclectic dishes, small portions, multiple courses served perfectly timed. Quiet, relaxed dinning in a understated European style building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better the second time aroundFoodloverparadiseDined on 6/15/2014I was at Terra with friends from Hong Kong last month and returned this past weekend with lady friends from all over the country. I was very impressed, both times, with the service, quality and variety of the food, and the ambience. I hadn't realized that the restaurant has been established for well over 10 years which is all the more impressive because the food is very inventive and the flavors are so current with today's taste preferences. My girlfriends were a bit concerned with the fact that it's a set price for 4, 5 or 6 menu choices (mix or match sweet and savory), that the meal would be too heavy. But the flexibility of choices allowed us all to try most of the 25+ choices on the menu, and every dish a stand out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!CBR512Dined on 6/13/2014Wonderful little gem! We came on our honeymoon 5 years ago and returned on our recent trip for a friends wedding. Excellent wine choices, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat HerebgreyDined on 6/13/2014The menu dishes are creative, well thought out and superbly executed. There are layers of flavors. Everyone in our party were thrilled.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014The food at Terra was wonderful. The menu is set up to sample several dishes, all of which are wonderful. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was very comfortable. Overall a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't ImpressedAnonymousDined on 6/8/2014Everything about this restaurant was "fine"--the service, the food, the atmosphere. Considering the reputation and price tag, frankly I was expecting to be blown away. We have eaten at many fine restaurants our times in the Napa Valley--Mustards, Tras Vigne, Redd, Boucheon--and all of those were a more memorable food, service and atmosphere experience. My advice, skip this overrated restaurant and go elsewhere.
- Felines77Dined on 6/7/2014We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and the service we recieved given that we chose the restaurant with little input from friends or reviewers. The evening was alot of fun supported by the outstanding food and wine selections. The staff were extremely helpful and eager to answer any of our questions. It is sometimes the subtle things that are most remembered and appreciated when dining, and we found these things in the smiles and patience that we were afforded. We will recommend this restaurant to our friends and we will make a point of revisiting it when we are again in the Napa Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dining experienceMaryVIPDined on 5/31/2014By far, the best dining experience for my husband and I during our trip to Napa. Residing in New York City, we are fortunate to have access to dozens of fine dining options. While in Napa, Terra easily exceeded our expectations and set the bar very high! The Capellini pasta with American Caviar and Lemon Caper Vinaigrette was unqiue and addictively delicious. The tuna crudo was another star. We can't recommend Terra enough!Special Features:
- Composed, delicious dishesMangaDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I each had the 6 dish tasting menu at Terrra for dinner. All were wonderful tasting and well composed. We like the smaller portions because it enables you to taste more dishes. We have been meaning to go to Terra for a few years now and this first visit met our expectations well. What also is nice is that the noise level is low so that you can actually have a conversation. We would not recommend the Chef's red table wine; they do have good choices on their wine list though. Overall, a visit well worth it, and we would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceTaratropolisDined on 5/23/2014This was the dinner for our first night on our honeymoon and it did not disappoint. The food was creative and excellent and probably the best service I have ever had. We each had the four course dinner (which was plenty of food) and ate the Chawan Mushi - which was different and worth a try; Lobster Tortelloni (a favorite); Black Cod (excellent); Abalone (very good) Risotto and the Duck. All great!Special Features:
- never had a better meallgtreesDined on 5/21/2014melt in your mouth pork, darling abalone, fantastic green garlic chickpea soupSpecial Features:
- A Food Lovers DreamcriticaldinerDined on 5/21/2014My second time dining at Terra. The service is friendly. timely, very informative and helpful. Food preparation is creative, flavorful, with unique offerings. The menu is for experienced diners or guests who are willing to try new preparations. Nothing on the menu appears wild or crazy but it is prepared with creative, subtle flavors. I was a with another guest and we ordered the tasting menu with four dishes. It was suggested we each order four different preparations and share. A separate plate was provided for eating, our experience was expanded and the tasting experience was a food lovers dream. The dining room is quiet enough to enjoy conversations, atmospheric with the old stone walls and room accessories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/19/2014It's difficult to find, and the town folk don't know it's there and if you walk by the place every day, you would think it's empty but don't let that fool you,your not there for the decor but the food. It's been operating for 20 years plus so it's an establishment.It has fusion style Japanese food and it has a very good black cod to die for and small plates of everything else. I recommend it for the excellent dishes, 4 plates for $78 is the set price and it's worth it, you can pick anything you like, both seafood and meat,but more toward the seafood. The taste is mild so you don't have a strong flavour that overwhelms you. Best restaurant in many years. a real gem,don't tell other people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.