1345 Railroad Ave
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://terrarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079638931
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Mon, W-Th 6:00pm-8:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Hiro Sone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We enjoy bring Terra to your party for up to 150 people. While not always available with enough notice Hiro and Lissa can make your event very special. The menus we suggest are from the current menus we offer at the restaurant. Local farm grown vegetables, meats and fish. A true restaurant experience in your home.
- Private Party Facilities: Terra can be reserved for your private party. The room seats up to 40 people and is a gracious room for celebrating. Our menus are custom created for each party from our current menu so everything is very seasonal and local. Dietary requirements are seriously respected. Please see our website for photos of the room set up for a private party and a sample menu.
- Private Party Contact: Lissa Doumani 7079638931
A word from Terra Restaurant
Terra Restaurant has been a leading restaurant in the Napa Valley since 1988. Set in a historic field stone building, Terra gives you the feeling of the Napa Valley, or some have said the French country side. We are proud to be part of such an important area not just for food but also for wine (Our family owns Quixote Winery). We are, Hiro and Lissa the chef/owners of Terra and love to work closely with the local growers for our vegetables and the farms that raise the meats we serve. Incredible dairies that make the cheese and the fishermen that bring in the catch we serve. The connection to the land and the people is why we love what we do. Terra serves a prix fix menu of 4, 5 or 6 courses. Terra has received a Michelin Star since the first award in 2007 and each year since then. Hiro Sone received the James Beard Award for Best Chef California in 2003 and Terra received James Beard Award for Outstanding Service-2008. The San Francisco Chronicle gave Terra & Bar Terra 3 1/2 stars.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Terra Restaurant - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Terra Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (71)romantic (56)notable wine list (38)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Amazing food and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The amazingly orchestrated experience we had was absolutely top notch. From the warm greeting, to the ambiance, the service, the food, and of course the wine, this was by far one of the best. The food is excellent in every way. The thing to do here is to ask for their sommelier if you are drinking wine. He's vastly knowledgable and genuinely cares about pairing wine with your different courses or introduce you to a rare find on the list at an affordable price tag. On our next visit we look forward to picking his brain and enjoying some amazing wines again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousJMcKayVIPDined on 9/14/2014What a delightful evening. I have only one complaint, it was difficult to choose what I didn't want on the tasting menu!! And much to my expectations, any choice I made would be the right one. The service was perfect: knowledgeable, helpful, patient but available, etc. I cannot wait to return. Regardless of the number of options of fine fare in the valley, Terra will be a definite repeat for me.Special Features:
- This is a Bar side review.LovefoodVIPDined on 9/11/2014I didn't know that there is a Bar side that is also available for dining. It is possible to have the same dinner menu as the formal dining room. The Bar side is not open for reservations on Open Table so you need to call direct. The food is fabulous! I love Asian food and the Chef does a wonderful job of adding that touch to the menu. The cold capellini with caviar and marinated cucumbers was delicious! The Chawanmushi, which is an egg custard soup was fabulous. I have only had this dish in formal Japanese restaurants so it was a treat! The service was great and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the best.NanceDined on 9/8/2014A parade of fantastic delicacy delivered by top-notch service.. The lobster tortellini with truffle was the best dish ever.Special Features:
- Outstanding choice in NapaJohnCVIPDined on 9/6/2014A small, intimate restaurant with outstanding service and national-class food deserving of its Michelin star, and perhaps two. The tasting menu allows selection of four, five or six items from a reasonably large range of choices. We thought all dishes were well, indeed beautifully, executed other than halibut, which was a little tough. Diverse wine list, somewhat expensive but many choices below $70. Sommelier directed us to an unusual and outstanding wine we'd never have tried. Desserts were really incredible. Service was perfect. Dressier than most Napa destinations. Think around $150 per person with wine, tax and tip, so not an every day place.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerRomanticVIPDined on 9/6/2014Had a great dinner experience with course menu. We were extremely pleased with amazing food and attentive service. Everything was right on point from service to food. All courses were in balance and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/5/2014Highly recommend eating here. Fabulous food and wonderful staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every penny.livtoeatDined on 9/5/2014Service was great and every morsel of food was perfection. I had Toro Crudo (wonderful and light starter), Black Cod (broth was DIVINE!), Abalone (very unique dish) & the Stone Fruit Crisp (heaven). Dining here after a wonderful day of wine tasting made my day a dream come true.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought Visitors from MNcphageorgeDined on 9/4/2014Having been here before, I knew what to expect. I love the small plate concept so that one can enjoy the multi-talented Lissa & Hiro's culinary skills. The crudo plate with a choice of blue fin tuna toro grades was cut a little too thick for my tastes when eating sashimi, but the fish was deliciously prepared. I just thought that to enjoy the essence of the chu-toro, thinner slices would have been my preference. The lobster tortelloni in sauce Americaine with English peas & Shimeji mushrooms was an artfully prepared dish...all the components melded into a delicious example of highlighting the sweetness of the lobster meat. The sauce Americaine was divine! The service was outstanding yet unobtrusive...very professional!Special Features:
- Superb in every regardOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I were visiting Napa Valley from Los Angeles and decided to make a reservation at Terra for our anniversary on the recommendation of friends who have dined there. We are so glad we did. Our reservation was for 7:00PM on a Saturday night. We each opted for the four course tasting menu which allowed us to sample eight different courses as each serving was sizable enough for two people. Between us we chose six savory dishes, a cheese plate and one dessert. Everything was fantastically deliciously. My favorite dishes were the Black Cod (apparently it has been on the menu since the restaurant's opening in the late 80s), a stinging nettle risotto with pork jowel, the crudo which was shashimi, and the Abalone dish.Special Features:
- Pricey but GoodWintersDined on 8/25/2014They serve prix fix-- 4, 5, of 6 courses. One can choose to have anything on the menu for each of the courses, i.e., all desserts, all main course, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in St. HelenaWeirdHaroldDined on 8/23/2014We have dined here once before. This time the food was far and away the best we have had in recent outings. Five stars !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014This place is a culinary delight. Very different and creative cuisine. If in Saint Helena, this is a definite stop for an elegant dinner at a fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very exoticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Food was very exotic. It is like a Japanese and French fusion type of food. Small dishes but are very good and rich in flavor. A little pricey but it was worth it.Special Features:
- Celebrated anniversaryCalistogaDuoDined on 8/10/2014We had a great evening at Terra - great food, wonderful service. I like that the food is not tricked-out, as so many restaurants are doing. It's just wonderful combinations, particularly with an Asian-touch, so the taste are just enough different to be a surprise, without overpowering the basic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014A charming intimate restaurant, the food was delicious, the service fantastic.Special Features:
- Great place....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014Fourth time I have eaten here, and this was the BEST. Really just about perfect food from start to finish. Love the way you choose any 4/5/6 courses. There were 4 of us and we had a great sampling of items and almost every one of them merited a "wow." Our waiter, Andrew, was very nice and extremely informed about the food. Told us the basics but when we asked questions he could go into amazing and interesting detail. The pacing was nice and slow. While the price isn't cheap, what you get for your buck is pretty amazing. We shall return!Special Features:
- outstandingdortsVIPDined on 8/9/2014Nothing more to say...it was outstanding. Why try any other place. Just save your pennies and go to Terra. It is an experience! The creativity of the menu is worth 5 stars! Thank you for being here in the valley.Special Features:
- Cozy and Delish!PaigeDined on 8/9/2014Love the stone building in which it is housed--very romantic. The main dining room is cozy yet sexy and the food was fabulous, esp the Asian inspired dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnernene722VIPDined on 8/8/2014Best place we have been to in St. Helena! We have been coming to the Napa Valley for 7 years and unfortunately this year was the first we tried Terra. We have definitely been missing out! The food is fantastic. The service was great. We will make this our go to place next year!Special Features:
- Still One of The Best In NapaGoBrownsDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went to Terra on our honeymoon and now 10 years later it is still one of the best restaurant's in all of Napa Valley. Each course of the meal was outstanding and the service was fantastic. Highlights of the meal were the Capellini Pasta with American Caviar, Alaskan Black Cod and Shrimp Dumplings and Brandt Family Strip Steak.Special Features:
- Luv2gooutVIPDined on 8/1/2014They changed their philosophy there some time ago which the owners are certainly entitled to do! They lost their excellent rating by one famous source which I do not feel was appropriate. He is still a very talented, skillful chef. The proof is there in front of you when you are presented one wonderful meal after another. I chose four of his savory entrees, and one dessert. They were all excellent. The professional critics are not always accurate! I will return there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyablefuzzcheeksVIPDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant is housed inside an imposing stone building, which adds an impressive air to the dining experience. The menu offers the freedom of choosing four or more courses from an interesting array of items. Most of the dishes were well-prepared, delicious, and reasonably sized (unlike many other Michelin-starred establishments that offer micro-portions). One or two of the menu items lacked a bit of flavor, but most were still enjoyable in terms of texture, plating, and combination of ingredients. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!QuazadoDined on 7/27/2014Went here for our anniversary. Great food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect Restaurant?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014Went with my girlfriend, left with my fiancé. Exquisite menu with superb food and perhaps the most knowledgable waiter I've had the pleasure of meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful dining experience. Will be back next time we are in Napa!Special Features:
- Must for Napa ValleySassyDined on 7/24/2014This is 2nd visit to Terra. It was as wonderful as the 1st. Ambience & service is great but the food is the star! Every course wonderful. The black cod remarkable & ended the evening with melt in your mouth chocolate dessert. Will always keep Terra as a must go when visiting the valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my top 5 list in NapaMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 7/24/2014Terra is slowly becoming my favorite restaurant in Napa. I LOVE THIS PLACE! Hiro's culinary touch is perfect: this is Californian cuisine with touches of Japanese sensibilities. The atmosphere is relaxed without the pretentiousness and the service is top notch. I'll be back again and again and again . . . well, at least, whenever I'm in town.Special Features:
- Informally sophisticatedGothamGourmandDined on 7/24/2014A wonderful dining experience. Designing your own tasting menu was a challenge with so many tempting choices. Their willingness to accommodate us when traffic from San Francisco Airport delayed our arrival was very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestNanceDined on 7/20/2014Terra is the best: service, atmosphere and (number 1) FOODSpecial Features:
- WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCEiammodDined on 7/18/2014Terra in St. Helena is a wonderful restaurant. The food is amazing and the staff goes out of their way to be helpful. We have dined ther many times and it is always top notch.Special Features:
- great food without arrogance...OpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 7/11/2014very tasty and interesting and perfectly prepared menu. while not as lavish or polished, nor arrogant, as The Meadowood, our dining experience was just as good. wine reasonably priced...Special Features:
- Just not quite worth itBlackrattusVIPDined on 7/11/2014Terra is a very nice restaurant, but at the cost it is just not worth it. There are much better restaurants with more inspired food and warmer atmospheres at much better prices. It was very good, but just didn't hit the mark. And WAY too quiet - like pin-drop quiet.Special Features:
- All about the foodBsdpmDined on 7/7/2014This place is tiny, less than 10 tables, but the food is excellent. It's a tasting menu but you get to pick your courses. The food is delicious with so many flavors. My only regret was getting a dessert instead of another savory dish.Special Features:
- Wonderful fusionRickDined on 7/6/2014The dishes were all outstanding, small compositions with a blend of French and Japanese influences. We particularly enjoyed the seafood crudo, the dumplings, the pork sugo, and the fish. The chocolate mousseline was a wonderful finish. We even bought the cookbook, published in 2000.Special Features:
- FresnofoodieDined on 6/28/2014Great food, but portions a bit large. Would not recommend more than 4 courses. We were stuffed by end of the 3rd portion. Sommelier tends toward white wines, but choices were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulloveroffoodVIPDined on 6/27/2014I'm kicking myself that I haven't been here sooner. Everything was so good and the service was excellent! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, but worth it.F1fanVIPDined on 6/23/2014After giving up trying to get into the French Laundry, Terra is a great alternative. The prix fix menu is excellent. It's divided into savories and sweets from which you may choose 4, 5 or 6 selections in any combination you like. They didn't offer pairings but have many wines by the glass so we asked the sommelier if he could make pairings for us. He was almost excited to do so. The wines were poured in tasting sizes and priced accordingly. My wife only wanted 3 pairings so he easily accommodated her wishes. This was one of the dining experiences where nothing should have been done differently. While dining there regularly could affect the mortgage payments, it's well worth the event of its own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent!FoodieVIPDined on 6/21/2014Have enjoyed Terra since shortly after it opened years ago. The food and service remain excellent, and one can actually have a conversation here without excess background noise. We went with friends, and everyone thought the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique DiningDogdrDined on 6/16/2014This is a wonderful restaurant in all respects. If you want a loud, rowdy restaurant this is not it. Fine dining tapa style. Eclectic dishes, small portions, multiple courses served perfectly timed. Quiet, relaxed dinning in a understated European style building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.