Terra American Bistro
1119 Alameda Blvd NW
Albuquerque, NM 87114Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Terra American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://terrabistro.com/
- Phone: 5057921700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Lukes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is available in our beautiful main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Peter Lukes 5057921700
A word from Terra American Bistro
Terra bistro and wine Bar, located in the heart of Albuquerque’s north valley, is one of Northern New Mexico's most celebrated restaurants which features contemporary American cuisine from chef/owner Peter Lukes. Since opening in 1998, Terra has enjoyed remarkable culinary success, receiving accolades from Zagat, the Albuquerque Journal and Tribune, ABQ The Magazine and Local Flavor among others. The menu changes seasonally, utilizing the freshest, locally grown herbs and vegetables including items harvested from Chef Lukes' own gardens. Expect generous portions and creative combinations of French and Italian provincial flavors. The wine list is easily accessible offering an affordable and worldly selection and the atmosphere is warm and welcoming. Terra has become a neighborhood favorite, and "…remains one of the best restaurants in Albuquerque." (The Albuquerque Journal, 2009).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Terra American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Pleasant diningNMbabeDined on 10/19/2013Great calamari. Service good and good outstanding.Special Features:
- change from the past, still good!JanlwmsDined on 10/19/2013I had not been to this restaurant in many years. Didn't even realize until I looked on line they had migrated from French to Italian bistro fare. Gave it a try and it turned out to be very, very good. Food beautifully prepared and presented. Steamed asparagus and prociutto starter excellent. Lamb loin chops served as I ordered them, and the spinach/risotto accompaniment complemented the lamb and was delicious in its own right. Extremely generous portions on the pasta dishes. Passed on dessert - too full. FYI - the restaurant will be moving to a new location soon, according to our server.Special Features:
- Hidden GemChoppotVIPDined on 10/16/2013We had passed by this restaurant many times but never ventured in. We finally tried it out and, boy, are we glad we did. Great food at reasonable prices is what we found. My wife had the spaghetti, which was aldenti with a rich sauce. I made my own pizza and have to say that the toppings were fresh and generous but the best part was the crust...wow! It was soft and chewy at just the right thickness. I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little spotNoraleegeeDined on 10/9/2013We had a very enjoyable meal & bottle of wine at Terra. Each of us ordered a different pasta dish. We shared all 4 and they were all very good! Kam, the waiter was great, attentive but not intrusive. Nice place. No doubt we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clams and CalamariOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2013I was raised in Oregon which has the best clams I've ever tasted so I'm always fearful of ordering seafood dishes in Albuquerque as too often foods like clams and calamari are overcooked and rubbery. This was not so at Terra! The calamari only had a light dusting of tastefully seasoned flour, not the usual thick coating, and were very tender. The clams with the linguini were outstanding - tender clams, free of sand in a very tasty broth on top of perfectly cooked linguini. The portion was generous without being overdone. The California Sauvignon Blanc was a very nice pairing. I highly recommend Terra, the chef has done a great job with new menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable evening. Greatcsand46Dined on 6/29/2013Very enjoyable evening. Great Food and Atmosphere. Only complaint was that they were out of Blue Moon Beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb salads and sandwiches.basketcaseDined on 5/17/2013Lunch was outstanding. Friendly server, great food. I will go back to try the little patio next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over priced for a normal mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/15/2013I was really excited to eat here since the reviews were so great. The meal was ok but nothing exciting. For the price I would rather eat at Farinas or Torinos. My friends didnt like their dishs at all. One of them had a pizza that didnt look appetizing they other a pasta with sausage (not sure which dishes specificaly).
- Thank youExcellentDined on 5/10/2013I just wanted to reach and say "Thank you"...for the great service...Best Regards, MarkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is excellent, howeverToddDined on 4/11/2013The food is excellent, however the service was very slow. My wife and I have been disappointed the last three times that we have been there, it has taken too long to get the food, and to then have the plates cleared afterwards.
- The Chicken Piccata was OUTSTANDINGRanrunrDined on 4/5/2013The Chicken Piccata was OUTSTANDING !! And I always enjoy the Ceasar salad. Great service and nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Two for TwoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013This was our second visit to Terra and the service and food were great both times. Wait staff was attentive without being intrusive. Entrees add inventive features to traditional dishes.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our dinner there...andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013We enjoyed our dinner there...and the portions allowed for leftovers. A pretty good wine list, unfortunately, two wines that were recommended by our server turned out to be unavailable. However, his third suggestion proved successful and paired well with the meal. Food was delicious and the pasta was well cooked.Special Features:
- The service upon arrive wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2013The service upon arrive was very professional and it did not stop there. From the moment we sat down the wait staff was very prompt and took care of all our dining . The menu selection will fit a wide range of taste, and all cooked to perfection. This is in my opinion one of Albuquerque's hidden Italian cuisine secrets.Special Features:
- Perfect Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/8/2013A delightful dinner - tasty pasta dishes and salads and Chianti. Attentive service, but not intrusive. Food was served promptly even though the restaurant was busy. Perfect night out for two couples wanting a quiet enough environment for conversation.Special Features:
- Terra wasn't bad, we justOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013Terra wasn't bad, we just weren't impressed. The two tables next to us were seated after us, yet they had drinks and bread before our waiter even talked to us. The staff was friendly enough, just not very attentive. The food was good enough, but I'd give the whole experience lower marks for the service alone.
- Go if you've got 3 hours for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We waited over 15 minutes just to be greeted by our server, then over 35 minutes just to get our drinks. Our server never checked on us to see how we were doing. The food took over an hour to get to us which we didn't really mind but we had to flag down the bus boy for refills. Worst Valentines Day dinner experience ever!
- The food was okay but theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The food was okay but the service was terrible. We had reservations on Valentine's Day. We waited 10 minutes for the server to even come to the table. We waited 40 minutes for water and bread even though we requested it several times. The people who were seated after us got their food before we did and the people who were seated before us got their food even later. When we complained to the owner, he said "That's why I don't go out on Valentine's Day!"
- Good food, bad service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013There was only ONE waiter, which I figured was the manager, so the food came out soooo slowly, which my boyfriend and I waited for at least two hours for our food and even an hour for our appetizer! Good food, but because of the service I will not go again.Special Features:
- The service and food was notRaiderjncDined on 2/14/2013The service and food was not very good. Seafood was overlooked, we had to keep reminding our waiter for service. I went ahead and gave him a good tip, only because I know that is their primary income and all my children have worked in the same profession.Special Features:
- We have been going to TerraOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/8/2013We have been going to Terra for approx 12/13 years.....the food has deteriorated significantly since their move to Italian Bistro cuisine.Special Features:
- My daughter and I checkedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013My daughter and I checked out Terra last week and were disappointed. We will not be back. Terra is definitely upscale with pretensions at being a cut above. We found the lunch menu exceedingly ordinary in its offerings and the very pleasant wait person unable to give the service we expected. Long waits for all service and a simple request for red pepper flakes for the pizza forgotten. When he finally reappeared we asked again and this time it did arrive. Our theory? understaffing. After a very overpriced meal for 2 glasses of wine and a shared small pizza and seared tuna salad, we were told that only decaf coffee was on offer. we declined and made our escape.
- This is my favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012This is my favorite restaurant in Albuquerque. Scallops, Risotto delicious! The ambiance is just right, down to earth, not trendy. I highly recommend Terra it is a gem.Special Features:
- Our waiter always remembersNMtravelersvelersVIPDined on 12/31/2012Our waiter always remembers our favorite wine and makes sure he has it in stock. Simply wonderful service.Special Features:
- Terra had bookings for 12OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/27/2012Terra had bookings for 12 people, but 30 showed up for dinner. Thus the wait staff was taxed severely and the service level was not up to their usual standards.
- The food and the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/27/2012The food and the atmosphere were very good. The service was attrocious. The waiter was very inattentive and spent most of his time standing at the bar. We waiting nearly 45 minutes after we were obviously done eatting to get the check. We finally resorted to putting our jackets on.
- Very loud, temperature wasSandraDined on 12/21/2012Very loud, temperature was cold (heating wasn't working,) food overpriced.
- We ordered two pasta dishes,JonethanDined on 12/20/2012We ordered two pasta dishes, a pizza and a ceasar salad. The caesar salad although OK, was drenched in dressing. The pasta dishes both were lacking in flavor and were served a bit cold. The pizza was not very flavorful either. All in all, not good enough to likely get us to go back anytime soon. Service was slow too considering it was just us and only one other table.
- Two of our party of four orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/19/2012Two of our party of four ordered the special, mahi mahi, but there was none, all sold out. This makes the second straight visit where the fish special was sold out.
- Food was excellent. WaiterFDDiningExperienceVIPDined on 11/30/2012Food was excellent. Waiter needed either more training on the food or was new. We were greeted at the door, our reservation was noted, and someone made sure to say thank you for coming.Special Features:
- They don't seem to have anoneVIPDined on 11/16/2012They don't seem to have a sense for cooking Italian meals. With so many choices for Italian food in any area, to be successful you have to stand out in some way. Here the meals are very ordinary and not worth tracking the place down to find them. I don't think this restaurant will be in business very long.
- Once very good, now mediocreNMKingsDined on 10/20/2012We have been fairly consistent diners at Terra since ~2000. They were our “go to” place if we didn’t plan ahead and still wanted to dine out with good food and great service. We really enjoyed their “American Bistro” menu and variety of items. Earlier this year, they switched to being an Italian themed restaurant and the variety in their menu has decreased substantially. Worse, their once stellar service (greeted promptly when you entered, staff circling to ensure your glasses were always full), decreased to a point where we found ourselves watching our waiter at other tables and wondering when we were going to see him again. We have had other friends (who also liked Terra and visited regularly) give us the same appraisal, but we wanteSpecial Features:
- New Menu Needs Better Servicevintage43Dined on 9/26/2012Since we were here last, Terra has changed its name to "Terra Bistro Italiano," reflecting a change to an Italian menu. We dined on a Wednesday night and found the food still very good, selecting a nice bruschetta Caprese for starters and the manzo (pot roast)and chicken picatta fettucine for our entrees, both of which were quite tasty. The wine list is decent, and they have beefed up the Italian offerings since the change-over (not yet on the website, however), so we were able to enjoy a good Chianti Classico. The only problem we encountered was slow service. Mid-week they seem to be operating with a skeleton crew-- there was only one waiter and an assistant, but with just 5 or 6 tables occupied, service seemed unnecessarily desultory.Special Features:
- Food was great and plentiful.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2012Food was great and plentiful. Visited on a Wed night and service was lacking. Had to find someone to seat us, diners that came in later received food and check before us...maybe not staffed appropriately? Not crowded night...but food is good.Special Features:
- It's decidedly different fromAlbutuckyDined on 9/1/2012It's decidedly different from the "old" Terra. The current iteration is way more casual in service and quality of food, however the prices remained the same. The food was pretty good. I miss the exceptional service.Special Features:
- We went for our 27th weddingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012We went for our 27th wedding anniversary and we were treated like royalty. They knew our names and the flowers I had ordered for the restaurant were beautiful! We had a recent death in our family (our son) and we really needed to be uplifted. They really helped us get through what could easily have been a difficult night to get through. I would recommend this restaurant to all my friends. The food was excellent and the wine was yummy, I almost forgot to rate the food, I was so impressed with the service!Special Features:
- Nice local placeMafnmDined on 8/18/2012Cute place, good food, mostly attentive service except our server forgot to bring our wine. The dining room is open and noisy. Next time we want to try the patio.Special Features:
- While we love the gamberoni,NMtravelersvelersVIPDined on 8/11/2012While we love the gamberoni, we branched out this time and each tried a different pasta dish. Both were excellent and we're looking forward to working our way through the menu.Special Features:
- Disappointing MealOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/7/2012I was anxious to try their revised menu but my dining experience was fair, at best. My server did not ask if we wanted wine; she was too anxious to take our food order. I had to request a bottle of wine, then I had to ask for an ice bucket. My companion order spaghetti al vongole - there was much too much sauce, so the pasta was swimming. The clams were tender. I ordered pasta pomodoro .. the pasta was gummy as if it had been sitting for a long time under a heat lamp. It was also overcooked. I won't write them off yet, but I was very disappointed.Special Features:
- AdamMInnzDined on 7/7/2012What a great new menu. The additions of pasta, pizza and kids menu with affordable pricing was a great move. This place should be visited as it is a Westside gem!Special Features: