Terra American Bistro
7091 El Cajon
San Diego, CA 92115Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Terra American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.terrasd.com/
- Phone: 6192937088x
- Hours of Operation:
Champagne Brunch: Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday from 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jeff Rossman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whatever the occasion, our goal is to make your event a complete success. With overflowing creativity and a gracious and dynamic staff, let Terra be your hospitality partner. We promise to exceed your expectations with an uncompromising commitment to perfection. Whether you are planning a simple luncheon or an elaborate six-course dinner, Chef/Owner Jeff Rossman will work with you from the start. He would be delighted to create a custom menu for you and your guests.
- Private Party Facilities: small parties up to 12 can order off the menu and larger parties need to contact our banquet department for special menu with pricing. Private parties can buy out the restaurant or possibly host an event on Saturday afternoons or Monday evenings.
- Private Party Contact: Lisa or Jeff 6192937088x
A word from Terra American Bistro
Terra American Bistro began in Hillcrest May 1998 and has since moved to the East College District of Rolando. Chef/Owner and Cookbook Author Jeff Rossman supports local food purveyors and sources all ingredients carefully, with a commitment to buy all products that are cultivated sustainably and humanely. Terra specialties include Steamed Carlsbad Black Mussels, Chipotle Marinated Skirt Steak, Pumpkin Raviolis and Lobster Macaroni ‘n Cheese. This neighborhood Bistro serves up farm to table fare and offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance. The team’s ambition at Terra is to create a relaxed and casual atmosphere to enjoy great food, local craft beer & wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Terra American Bistro - Best Restaurants in La Mesa ›
Terra American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (54)special occasion (26)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (18)good for groups (17)notable wine list (11)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014I love this restaurant! I have tried almost everything on the menu and always look forward to the seasonal changes. The staff is very inviting and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014We were celebrating Mom's 74th birthday and chose to take our group of 9 to Terra. It just so happened it was also Restaurant Week. Everything worked out great! They had a nice big table for us and the food choices were fantastic! Only bummer was they had run out of the fish. We got lucky and got the last to pieces (one for Mom and one for Dad). The Mac and lobster was to die for. The pumpkin squash was fantastic. The pot roast was fork tender and EVERY dessert was sublime. And we were all pleased with the portions. Usually with Restaurant Week you receive what would be considered a smaller than dinner version. But not at Terra. The staff was attentive, friendly and efficient. Thanks so much for a wonderful birthday dinner.Special Features:
- restaurant weekktlredDined on 9/25/2014They opened a few minutes late, &the forgot the berries that should have topped our dessert, but on the plus side, the food was delicious. I think that restaurant week overwhelmed them, and that on a slower night, they would be perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hamfamDined on 9/24/2014The chocolate truffle taster was awesome. The lobster mac 'n cheese was a little lacking; expecting more sauce wise but lobster meat great! Husband loved pot roast! Delectable hazelnut pumpkin ravioli; could've had many more Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- differentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014The food definitly is worth travelig from outside California. Just not having the option of tge regualar menu does have NOT have an effect an MY rating. I like having less options in this jungle of take this tan add this and have this and so on and so on. So perfect for me an my company. still the location is very loud and noisy and the service is not aware of bringing new fork and knife after the starter. which i belive belongs to goood service, BUT most friendly and not at all anoid by questions. so a good for a goodSpecial Features:
- DougDined on 9/21/2014Staff was very accomodating to reservation changes, handled them with good humor and without any indication of unhappiness. Chief visited table, always a plus. Food is high standard in taste and presentation. Terra is the best in the East County area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm a fanGoodneighbor2Dined on 9/16/2014Love go to terra for lunch and dinner. Food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Of our party of six, only two enjoyed their meals, the lobster roll and angus beef sliders. Two ordered the seafood fettucini, which was way too sour with lemon and lacked enough seafood; the mussels seemed slightly undercooked. The pot roast was dry, even though the sauce and potatoes were great. One guest described the catch of the day (halibut) plate as "nothing special". The ambiance was very nice, and the service fine. The restaurant is not in the greatest part of town, and the lack of patrons on a Sunday night would indicate that location and food quality are probably issues. Very nice staff!
- WonderfulgoodeatsDined on 9/13/2014The service at Terra is ALWAYS first rate. Plus the food is fresh and delicious! I would recommend this place 100%.Special Features:
- SDDinerDined on 9/10/2014Less than impressed. Chicken was mediocre and had no seasoning. Arugula salad was very boring with only a few pieces of cucumber, 2 halved heirloom cherry tomatos and very little dressing. Never saw the waitress except when she took order and delivered food to the table. Got ice from the bartender as there was none in the glasses of warm water. Asked for uneaten food to be placed in a take-home box, which the waitress never brought back to the table. Dining experience was not worth the price paid. Will not be going back.
- La Mesa Neighborhood GemnickleanddimeDined on 9/7/2014We found this restaurant shortly after recently moving to La Mesa. It had good reviews on Yelp, although it certainly doesn't appear impressive from the outside! Once in, things are different. The food is outstanding . . . fresh, creative, and extremely good. Service is better when they aren't as busy (we have gone twice - once at night and once for brunch).Special Features:
- Will ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014A great place to eat. Service was friendly and helpful. Due to the busyness on a Friday night the service was a bit slow, however, first class. I will highly recommend this place to anyone and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great findHappydinerDined on 9/4/2014Last minute reservation on a Thursday night. I had a perfect burger with perfect truffle fries! My husband had the short ribs which were delicious. I tried a house-made peach rum - also very tasty. No room for dessert so will have to return since the dessert menu looked amazing. Nick, our server was very helpful & on top of things. It was quiet when we first arrived at 7pm but things were much busier by the time we left. A reservation never hurts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FionaDined on 9/4/2014It is always a pleasure to dine at Terra American Bistro. Great service, great food, great atmosphere, a true delight. So glad to have such a nice restaurant in East County San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small PlatesRosemaryThymeDined on 8/26/2014We were a group of 4 seniors. Each of us ordered a small plate and we shared. Each with its own flavor and personality, we had the flatbread with mushrooms, the wedge salad, the stuffed peppers and truffle French fries. Believe me, these were not your typical flatbreads, fries and salads. The restaurant buys locally and the chef is imaginative. Service was most attentive. Thank you Nick.Special Features:
- Always a treat!MarthaDined on 8/26/2014Another excellent dining experience. Wait staff attentive and friendly, food outstanding as usual. Tried the short rib tacos finally and was not disappointed.Special Features:
- diamond in the ruffluv2eatVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great restaurant off the beaten path. Creative cocktails. Terrific food - don't miss the burger or the pot roast - both are standouts! Salads are so fresh and delicious. The "wedge" is an inventive take on the standard - love the tomato marmalade. For dessert, don't miss the banana bread pudding. This is outstanding and I don't even like bread pudding. From the moment we got there, we were made to feel welcome. Our server, Tori, was wonderful - friendly, knowledgeable and not afraid to give an opinion when asked which I appreciate.Special Features:
- Another great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We shared Terra with our daughter and son-in-law and we all had a great time. The food as always was fresh and exceptional. Thank you to the whole Terra team from Chef Jeff to the entire wait staff.Special Features:
- Favorite new placeCakSueDined on 8/23/2014After my third visit visit to Terra, I could not be more impressed. The food is delicious and changes often. It has a nice ambience, warm, inviting but not so loud you can't have a conversation. The service is friendly and the food has decent portions. I will definitely go again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Follow thru a problemCoast2coastDined on 8/22/2014I love Terra but . . . I took my daughter there for her birthday with friends on Friday. I called in advance to see if I could special order a cake and they said no but could make a notation on our reservation so her dessert comes out with a candle. But it didn't. Terra did not recognize her birthday at all despite hints I tried to drop the server. Apparently calling in advance was less than useless and the staff's promises worthless. I was really dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So tasty!BevgoDined on 8/14/2014Crab cake sliders were wonderful and perfect amount of food for lunch. All dishes so beautifully presented. Our waiter so friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Excites Palate and ConvesationHopefullyHelpfulDined on 8/10/2014Been here twice, once to celebrate our son's college gradation and this time to celebrate our daughter-in-law's birthday. Next? Bringing my wife for a romantic rendezvous. Many would just drive by this inadvertent spot (unless you notice the tractor in the garden on the corner). And in some ways it seems a secret hideaway. The food and caring service are both excellent!!! Our server, Micheal (this trip), was unobtrusive and his suggestions intuitive. A few couples were at the bar enjoying adult beverages paired with a bit of delectable food and conversation. What flows from the kitchen excites the palate and the conversation; all one needs to make a memorable mark with (a) loved one(s)...including our 3 yr. old grandson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rare find for East County FoodiesEastCountyFoodieDined on 8/9/2014There are not that many places in East County that I can go to satisfy my foodie cravings. Plenty of down and dirty places to be sure, and I frequent them. Terra is a rare opportunity to enjoy some refinement, and a real culinary experience with subtlety. My wife and I both had a great time, and will return. I went to the previous Hillcrest location before it moved. I have to say that I enjoyed the ambience of the new La Mesa location much better, and the place was very well attended. Everything was great - highly recommend the Sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tantan50Dined on 8/9/2014This is one of our favorite neighborhood spots. The food and service are always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak SammieConnieDined on 8/6/2014I was challenged to decide on a specific lunch item, with everything sounding so wonderful. I'm so glad I went with the steak sammie and greens. Perfect! And hard to believe I ate the whole thing. Complemented by their unique Lemongrass mule, which is the best I've ever had. Love the fresh lemongrass in it.Special Features:
- Last day of summer3YipsDined on 8/5/2014Awesome time & awesome food! We ate more than we intended - but it was well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday night at TerraBBJ913Dined on 8/3/2014Went to Terra at 5:30 pm for Sunday dinner. Food was outstanding, but they do not offer bread anymore when you sit down at the table. Terra was understaffed due to a concert at SDSU, therefore the service was a bit off. The server was trying his best, but he looked stressed due to the full restaurant. The wife and I will go to Terra again, but we will check for concerts beforehand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back.KaynjayDined on 8/2/2014We spent an enjoyable evening with friends at Terra. The local fish dish was outstanding. We're looking forward to a return visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of a restaurantJencoDined on 7/29/2014The food is excellent the service is superb and the wine list delivers a good range of reds. It's a great place to unwind, relax and have some good food.. We will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Neighborhood GemAussieDined on 7/25/2014Who would have thought...? In a neighborhood yet to be called transitional (the eastern reaches of El Cajon Blvd.) there is a restaurant already staking claim to a bright future amidst the blight: Terra American Bistro. This restaurant might be just another find in North Park or South Park. But here it's a revelation, a commitment by its owners to making good food for the masses—wherever they happen to live or work. The semi-industrial, well appointed interior design is merely a prelude to a creative, farm-to-table menu. Those seeking gluten-free options are well served at Terra. And "served" is the word. The service is eager, informed, and genuine. For now, Terra is a destination restaurant. One day it might be your neighborhood hangout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014I have been to this restaurant for lunch and dinner. The food is always great! It is organic, fresh and locally grown. There is always plenty but not too much. Desserts are fabulous! A wonderful place for a celebration of a special occasion. The only downside is that it is a little noisy. Do not miss this gem of a restaurant!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014What a fantastic experience. My wife and I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently OutstandingOManDined on 7/16/2014I have dined at Terra over a dozen times and the food and service have always been excellent. I took a group of 8 for lunch this time and everyone loved their meals.Special Features:
- Great place for brunchHappytoeatDined on 7/13/2014I went to Terra a while back when they were in Hillcrest. This spot in La Mesa is just as good if not better. The farm to table brunch offerings were all very tasty. A nice touch is that their brunch items include up to three mimosas. That make it a very good ideal. I didn't see anyone counting so you could get more if you wanted to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient8freshDined on 7/11/2014Terra was a convenient spot to meet at in the College area neighborhood. Our group (4 of us) enjoyed a fair meal and service. I would not consider our meal or service at Terra as memorable. The menu choice also plays a role as one of us had the hamburger and was a lot happier than the dinner who chose the mole dish. In time to come we will give Terra a second chance.
- Great Funky placeRuthDined on 7/6/2014This was my second visit for Sunday Brunch. Convenient to church and my condo, so extra benefit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014This is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant. La Mesa needed Terra! We enjoy their consistently great food!Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014It was a pleasant meal. The alcoholic drinks were fantastic! The atmosphere was quiet, the server was a super friendly San Diegan, which was nice.Special Features:
- Great food!BookwormDined on 7/5/2014Great service and fabulous food! They often change the menu and give me an opportunity to try new items. It's always good! I love their brunch with the bottomless mimosas!Special Features:
- Love the foodfooddudeDined on 6/26/2014We have been a few times and tried different things. Loved the shellfish and the flatbread with smoked tomatoes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.