1602 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tequilasphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 546-0181
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm. Note: We require that your entire party be present, prior to being seated.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican / Southwestern, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Claudio Soto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private room available for parties of 20 or less.
- Private Party Contact: Dino Rosario 2159068519x
- Special Events: We feature prix fixe menus on New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day (please contact us for the details). Tequila Nights are held monthly.
- Cross Street: 16th Street
- Public Transit: Located at 16th & Locusts where the #2 bus meets the #12 bus. And at the PATCO 16th Street exit.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Off-street parking is available. Various moderately priced parking lots on Latimer street between 15th & 16th streets.
A word from Tequila's Restaurant
Tequilas Restaurant serving authentic Mexican Cuisine for over 25 years. Please note; only special menus may be available on Valentine's Day,and New Year's Eve. Please call us to confirm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tequila's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)good for groups (75)special occasion (63)neighborhood gem (62)romantic (57)hot spot (39)vibrant bar scene (35)great for outdoor dining (23)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (10)late-night find (8)great for brunch (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Upscale MexicanStyleMakerAnneDined on 6/14/2014Tequila's is substantially more expensive that the average Mexican restaurant, but the experience is similarly elevated. Never have I seen such regard to presentation with Mexican food, and it tasted as good as it looked.
- Best Restaurant in the City!ShashiDined on 6/12/2014Not only does Tequila's have the best food, they have the best margarita's hands down! We have been going here for over 12 years and have never had a bad meal. No matter what you choose on the menu, you can't go wrong. Make sure you try their own tequila, Siembra Azul... YUM!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/11/2014The dinner was delicious. The waiter serves your drinks from his head which was a great site. The menu is hard to read as it is very dark in there. And we also waited about 30 minutes before we finally asked someone for the check.Special Features:
- Best Mexican food in town!MToffelVIPDined on 6/7/2014The crab guacamole is pure heaven at this creatively decorated Mexican restaurant in Center City. The service is top notch, and the food is always great. There is an outdoor seating area but it is kind of crowded and right on a small sidewalk making it a little uncomfortable to eat outside. Eat inside anyways so you can see the cool way it is decorated. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodieDined on 6/7/2014Great food, friendly staff! Would go back and would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014Per request we had a table by the window, and found it noisy AND romantic. Exceptional food and wait staff. I am already planning to return with friends to determine whether we just got lucky that one evening at 8pm. Reservations essential.Special Features:
- Grear RestaurantSannies78Dined on 5/31/2014I have eaten here as part of a large dinner party and most recently for my anniversary. The food is fresh, the staff is great and the drinks are on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BassBoy69Dined on 5/23/2014The Place Is Quite Hidden But It Makes It Up With Knowledgeable Waiters.. The Fillet Jalapeno Was Delicious.. My Compliments To The ChefSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; so so service.BabaBooeyDined on 5/17/2014We were extremely rushed through our meal. Food was very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to celebratedavid7VIPDined on 5/11/2014We went for our anniversary dinner. The margaritas are made from fresh ingredients, served in a lovely ceramic pitcher. Service is attentive, and the meals work well for lovers of Mexican food and for more traditional eaters.Special Features:
- Always a Hit!Nhsmd1Dined on 5/10/2014This was our 4th or 5th visit to Tequia's. We have never been disappointed. The food was delicious, the drinks special, and the whole experience very satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Upscale restaurant.dieterDined on 5/9/2014Love this restaurant!. The Chicken dish is excellent. The margaritas are great and they have very good tequila. Great food and drinks.Special Features:
- the best!foodiegirlVIPDined on 5/5/2014I travel extensively, and this is one of the best meals i've had in months! the owner David is charming, and loved meeting his son too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cinco de MayooakvalleypirateDined on 5/5/2014Excellent, authentic Mexican food, large selection of margaritas. Somewhat dark and crowded. We sat in the back, but the bar looked and sounded very active.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CriticrDined on 5/4/2014The food and service are always great. When I am in Philadelphia I try to eat here. The bar is beautiful and a great place to sit before dinner. Although there is not a lot of bar space. If you come on the weekend you will probably have a hard time finding a seat at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary DinnerMaryEllenDined on 5/4/2014We were given a gift card to this restaurant by our Son for Christmas, since my Husband and I like to try different restaurants in the city. This restaurant was chosen by him this past Christmas. We enjoyed the restaurant and the food very much, our waitress Nicole was very nice and polite. Nicole was able to tell us the specials for the evening as well as explain any food on the menu that we may have had questions about. We enjoyed our choices very much and most likely will go back, and we believe our son would also enjoy having dinner here. Thank you, Mary EllenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great tequilaAlanDined on 5/3/2014We went on May 3rd and the place was packed. Maybe everyone wanted to get their tequila in before Cinco de Mayo. There were multiple groups in attendance. I had the special which was a wild boar. It was great. Both our drinks were great. My wife had a strawberry margarita, and I had a sweet / spicy tequila mixture called a Short Rib. As stated, with so many large groups, the atmosphere was loud, but I read up on it before we arrived, so I was expecting it. I'll definitely be going again to try out more of their tequila, and their other dishes. The waiter was very knowledgeable and recommended both of our drinks based upon what we liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening!mzl630Dined on 5/2/2014Tequilas always a really good go-to and is a classic Philly spot even with all of the new stuff everywhere. Food and service was excellent as usual.Special Features:
- Best Mexican in the city!ChemIColeDined on 5/2/2014We went to Tequila's for our Friday night date night. We have been there before and we have always had a great time. This time we both ordered from the list of specials. I had a New York strip steak with Chorizo chipotle sauce. The serving was generous, the meet was cooked perfectly, and the sauce was excellent. It came with rice beans and Guacamole. Most of the steak dishes also come with home made corn tortillas so you can cut up the steak and make tacos. My wife had a beef and caramelized fruit special wrapped in poblano peppers. On the weekends they often have a guacamole bar, and the oysters are always excelent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark but delicioushardtacoDined on 4/29/2014The food was unique and flavorful, with portions appropriate for a big appetite. The service was wonderful, and the decor was unusual and eye-catching. Our waiter was outstanding. He was very courteous and accomodating when we asked for 8 separate checks, (which admittedly, we should have warned him about earlier.) My only complaint was that the room was too dim. The tiny votive candles on the table were purely decorative, and everyone in our party had to use their phone as a flashlight to read the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent svc for 10PM reservationsmarleyVIPDined on 4/25/201410PM reservations for after a show at the Merriam. Acceptable walking distance from Merriam & Kimmel, even for girlfriend in heels. Great service even despite the late-ish time. Food was expectedly very good. Service exceeded expectations.
- awesome foodmimi218Dined on 4/18/2014Had a reservation at 9pm at Tequilas. We were seated right away. For a later dinner, I didn't expect it to be so crowded, but was nice to see for the restaurant. We ordered a pitcher of sangria, some guacamole, and then our dinner. The sangria was ok, the guac was so good, and my dinner was awesome too (seafood enchiladas). The only issue I had was the noise level. It was SO loud in there that I was have trouble hearing my friend sitting at the same table as me. It would be nice if it was considered when seating when seating tables of 2 right next to large parties. Otherwise, it was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved My Birthday CelebrationClassyDined on 4/18/2014I discovered this restaurant through Opentable and I was impressed with the mobile web pictures and more impressed with actually being there. The price and the service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightEatsabitnowDined on 4/16/2014Amazing food and creative drinks, great wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Tequila's is the best, great food, great drinks, and you can't find better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ service. Fantastic food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014Our server was incredibly helpful suggesting vegetarian options and service was spot on even though it was an extremely busy night. The vegetarian platter was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine mexican food for not much $$$foodiefestinoDined on 4/12/2014My wife and I dined here for our 3rd wedding anniversary and we had a fantastic experience. First of all, being from NJ, it was super easy to get to via the Patco train since it's literally right outside the 15th-16th Locust St stop. We arrived about 30 minutes early for our reserved table, and they were able to seat us immediately which was a pleasant surprise for a Saturday evening. The food was very authentic and exquisite. We started with the traditional Guacamole, probably the best guac I've ever had, and the Queso Fundido. My wife had the Fish Special (Grouper) and I had the stuffed Duck Breast special both of which were perfectly portioned and cooked just right. Overall, a wonderful experience that we will definitely try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knowledgable staffFoodloverrositaDined on 4/9/2014This is my second time at tequila restaurant. I am visiting from NYC. This time I came with my boyfriend to celebrate his birthday.. When making the reservation, I had mentioned that it was his birthday and hope something would have been delivered to our table for the occasion but it never happened. But I saw that another table got the staff to sing to the birthday girl. Food was fantastic reason I made this request was because. I don't like getting up from my table during meal and catching a waiter to mention this occasion. Just hope they are more aware about these requests from open table diners. On a positive note, the music went well with the ambience and the restaurant. The dessert crepe was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!b2k1973Dined on 4/1/2014Absolutely loved everything we ordered. The food is fresh, authentic, and most importantly, delicious! Great for a special occasion or a night out with friends. The dark lighting leads to a more romantic mood in the restaurant for dates as well. Guacamole was excellent, mole sauce was amazing, and the house salsa very good. My only complaint would be the margaritas. We ordered classic on the rocks with salt, and they were nothing to write home about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner entertaining a visitorCyd123Dined on 4/1/2014We had a somewhat early reservation, at 5:30 pm. When we arrived they weren't very busy at all but we were escorted to the very back of the restaurant. It was a bit dark where we were sitting, even though it was still light outside. Our server, Jose-Juan, was a very nice young man. He funny w/ a great personality and is very knowledgable about the menu. When asked for a recommendation between two menu items, he answered honestly. The food and cocktails were both very good. I ordered the Echiladas Playa and they were delicious. They come with rice and vegetables (steamed I think). I didn't care for the vegetables, they were flavorless and a bit oily. Everything else was wonderful! I would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014The food was good even though they messed the drink- a Margarita Diablo one of which they replaced! We reserved 2 weeks before .Upon arrival they gave us a table near the bar in front of the cold breeze.On making a little fuss, they gave us a very nice table in the back.That room was huge,and though fairly full,there were many empty tables. What is the point in reserving if you get a bad table?Or was it because we booked through Open Table? There was a nice family sitting near the bar with a young teen sitting.They should have been treated better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New fav restaurant.BreeleighjoDined on 3/27/2014My mom and I were looking for a place to eat before seeing a show and we chose Tequilas. A friend had mentioned it to me before so we decided to give it a try. Oh my goodness. The service was excellent. They explain any dish you are unsure of. They carry your beverage on the tips of their three fingers and if you get a pitcher, they carry it on their head. The food was excellent. My mom got the seafood enchiladas and I had the pork special from that evening. We ha also had guacamole as an appetizer and we were stuffed, but we had to get dessert. Again, so delicious. It was a little dark which made reading the menus a little difficult but nothing to ruin our evening. I highly recommend this restaurant and cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUR FAV PHILLY HANG OUT....THE BESTMaleiaDined on 3/23/2014We discovered Tequila's on our very first trip in 2009 and never fail to dine there at least twice during our visits (4 years now!). We love to eat at the bar and chat with the bartender. The interior is gorgeous - rich carved dark timber, high ceiling, elegant yet casual. My husband lived in Mexico for ten years and says the food is excellent - very authentic, plus he loves fine tequila and they have an amazing selection. Noise levels are also lower than most places - you can actually hear one another! The fact that they have been open for 27 years, certainly says something. The staff are wonderful - very friendly and accommodating. Highly recommended for lunch, dinner or just drinks!Special Features:
- Always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Been going to Tequilas for years never had a bad meal or serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maitre d' needs to go!!PaulieVIPDined on 3/22/2014We've been to this restaurant many times and have always enjoyed. That is, until, last Friday night. Not only was the place so crowded as to be obnoxious, we had an encounter with a gentleman (so to speak) who was in the role of matre d' or something akin to that. So, after ordering drinks and guacamole and getting the former but not the latter, he comes up to our table but the quasi-matre d'. He very aggressively tells us: "You know, you're not going to get your guacamole until you place your order for you entree". Excuse me? Has anyone EVER heard this before and done so in a rude fashion? We were floored. And by the way, we held out and spoke to our waiter who promptly brought our guacamole BEFORE we ordered. We won't be back EVER.
- Authentic Upscale MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014This is the only authentic upscale Mexican restaurant in Philadelphia that I recommend without any hesitation. The food is delicious and true to upscale Mexican. The chips and guacamole were very simply prepared but the result was fantastic--buttery, fresh avacados highlighting a dish that was not too spicy and did not suffer from gimmicks. My steak was perfectly cooked and the sauce was crave-able. My friend ordered the shrimp special and raved about it on the walk home. Portions were not huge, but definitely filled us up for a reasonable price. As their name suggests, the tequila products/margaritas are outstanding (I just wish they carried Clase Azul tequila at the bar).Special Features:
- Tequila = deliciosa!RachelVIPDined on 3/21/2014I love everything about this restaurant, food, service, drinks. However, it is way too dark at night. Everyone at my table (who has relatively good eye sight) could not see the menu so they had to use their phone flash lights to see the food - not exactly classy in my opinion. Please boost up the light just a tad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and great foodKarenTDined on 3/18/2014Great drinks and great food that keeps everyone in a large group happy! Our waiter was very attentive, but not rushing us. Great beef, chicken, fish and seafood entrees -- we had at least one of each in our group and no one was disappointed. If you like guacamole, be sure to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tequilas is a fun, beautifulCenterCityDebVIPDined on 3/15/2014Tequilas is a fun, beautiful and delicious place to go. The waiters are very nice and attentive. We had a yummy gaucomole with crabmeat and pineapple in it. The seafood cerviche was fresh and tasty. Huge prawns and the whole trout for dinner were terrific! We ate at a very trendy place off Passyunk St. the night before and Tequilas was a much better meal for the same price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food / Fun PlaceRichDined on 3/15/2014I have been to Tequila's a couple of times. Very good food and nice atmosphere. A lot of fun for groups, as well as couples. However, the place gets really noisy so it can be difficult to talk. Overall, a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.