16 E. 46th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tenpennynyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 490-8300
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
12:00pm - 3:30pm
Monday - Saturday
5:30p - 10:00p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact Manager, email@example.com for catering and special events requests.
- Special Events: Wine Tastings, 3 Course Lunch Pre Fix, Wine Down 4PM-6PM, Cocktail and Seated Events, Lunch and Dinner, Private Dining, Promotion with Gotham Hotel for a complimentary dessert.
- Cross Street: Between 5th & Madison
- Public Transit: Nearest Transit:
42nd St-5th Ave-6th Ave (7, B, D, F, V)
Grand Central (4, 5, 6, 7, S)
Lexington-3rd Aves-51st St (6, E, V)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: -Street Parking
-Central Parking (46th street between 5th-6th ave) offers discount for Tenpenny guests. ($15. for three hours weekdays & $15. for four hours on weekends.)
A word from Tenpenny
Tenpenny’s large wooden doors lead guests to the tucked away eatery, which offers cozy respite just steps away from the bustle of Madison Avenue. Tenpenny’s de´cor radiates warmth, with exposed brick walls, floors made of 100-year-old reclaimed barn wood and custom-built walnut tables. Photos of iconic Manhattan buildings and construction sites now adorn the perimeter of the restaurant in addition to a large mural of the Brooklyn Bridge paying tribute to Old New York City; the place where deals were brokered over martinis and the maitre d’s were a constant presence in the dining room. The new restaurant brings back that intimate dining experience with seating for 55 people. Tenpenny can also accommodate up to 90 standing guests for an event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tenpenny reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (8)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)good for groups (3)notable wine list (3)special occasion (2)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- very disapointed!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2014very crowed; very noisey; plates cold, food cooled quickly; service slow ... had a party of 5 and could not hear the guest sitting one person away from me...food quality very average...the 5 guests each order a different meal - no one had a compliment!! stay away.Special Features:
- FOODROCKSDined on 11/5/2014Very small and noisy place but the salmon was delicious and the wait staff very attentive. There was a jazz band/singer who had to contend with the noisy crowd. Would be a very nice quaint place if it were a bit quieter so you could enjoy the band. I would go back for salmon.Special Features:
- Very good food and lively, energetic sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/30/2014Food is very good; varied menu; very gracious service; very vibrant after work hours scene -- not a place for quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Nice quaint dinnerconwje01Dined on 10/22/2014This is a really nice hole in the wall place with awesome decor. The staff was extremely nice as well. I was disappointed by the food however. We got the tofu stir fry and salmon appetizer, both of which had flavor but didn't really appeal to me. I then got the zucchini mancotti which was very dry and little flavor. The waiter said its usually a hit or miss.Special Features:
- just OK, which is good for midtown212dinerVIPDined on 10/7/2014In a neighborhood without great choices, Tenpenny is probably as good as it will get. The menu is varied, and food was tasty (my companion and I had pastas). Wine by the glass was fine. Everything was a bit overpriced, but again, that's the neighborhood. The real problem was the service. About four different people took food/drink orders, checked back on us, etc., so it was impossible to know whom to ask for things like more water or black pepper or whatever. Each member of waitstaff was pleasant, but service was far too chaotic and disorganized. (We waited a full five minutes for grated cheese, and had to ask three people in order to get it). Crowd is blue-shirt midtown guys in their late 40s.
- Great food but loudHeandSheDined on 9/25/2014The food was great. The noise level was off the charts loud. It's in the back of the Hotel Gotham lobby so it's very dark. Service was slow.Special Features:
- great food and musicDHRmdDined on 9/24/2014We went on a Wednesday night when they have a great jazz combo with outstanding singer. Not to loud, great complement to excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Midtown Hotel Bar With FoodN45STVIPDined on 9/17/2014We didnt realize that this is a pub of sorts on the ground floor of a midtown hotel - the Gotham. There was a trio with a singer and the place is so small that it was really loud and hard to have a conversation. Food was good, but service was ridiculously slow. Waiter was very inattentive and we practically had to send up a flare to get him to respond. Would not go back.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotEatDrinkandEnjoyDined on 9/16/2014We were there for lunch. They offer a business menu, so ideal for a time-limited lunch. Quality of food and presentation was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceGiggly357Dined on 9/3/2014I took clients to this restaurant for a lunch meeting, and we had 12:30 reservations. We placed our order at 12:50, which included an appetizer. We didn't get our food until 1:30 - and they brought the appetizer out at the same time.
- Great midtown restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Great food choices for a group with varied tastes - we were all happy with our meal. Service was attentive, special drinks were fun. If you like spicy, try that jalepeno drink - your lips will burn! Nice décor - we would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great Casual Business Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Service is very good, they make every effort to accommodate you and are extremely personable. Food is always solid with enough of a touch of creativity to not be "run of the mill" or "overly creative." It is obviously not Per Se or Daniel but would recommend to anyone that wants a very good meal at a place where you can have a business conversation and not worry about service issues.Special Features:
- Good, but nothing specialAmyPSVIPDined on 8/5/2014I'd been here before, but didn't recall it until I was in the dining area. I guess that sums it up. It's a rather unmemorable place near GCT. There was a jazz trio that was much too loud for the small place. The waiter was so-so. The food was pretty good compared to all the Irish pubs in the area, but not that special compared to many other options in midtown.
- Such an amazing spot!1AndrewFelesDined on 8/5/2014I went to tenpenny Restaurant in New York City, Manhattan in mid town to celebrate My closing deal with a big company. The food was exquisite, presented like art, and service impeccable. deserts to die for! A beautifully managed restaurant! The manager was so nice and got us a drink on the house after me spilling my drink, The scallops were beautifully seared while still juicy and sweet on the inside. It was a wonderful evening enjoyed by all." food was phenomenal! We will be back soon to this amazing place thank youSpecial Features:
- Great!!happym345Dined on 7/30/2014Great food! Excellent service, bartender made us awesome cocktails! Definitely coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous lunch!!!!GreasepainyAnniDined on 7/30/2014This was the second time we chose Tenpenny for our reunion lunch spot --that's me and two beloved colleagues, one of whom is a real luminary. The food was sumptuous, the service sublime. This is our go-to lunch spot!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HmmmmIntheBizDined on 7/25/2014Good food. Reasonable pricing. Server was nice and hospitable but knew nothing about the menu which is disappointing... Knowledge is the key. Cheese plate was great and so were our entrees, filet minon and scallops the dessert was okay but there was no vanilla bean in the creme brûlée it seamed artificial. The most entertaining part of the night was watching the manager, he was clearly sitting at the bar on a date... He would greet people Then sometimes fail to notice new guests and his 1 server and food runner had to greet people... Very unprofessional but at least he said have a good night... Advice would be to learn how to touch tables and manage your employees a tad better cause the place is pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Tenpenny reviews archive.
- Tenpenny A Good Place for LunchJFrancesDined on 6/26/2014I went to Tenpenny for the first time during the US's big soccer match against Germany, so my review is somewhat colored by the fact that the scene was a bit rowdy. The food was good, and the servcie a bit stressed due to the crowd present. I liked it and will go back to try it again hopefully when it's a tad more sedate. The narrow space and the hard walls and floors add to the noise level, I think.Special Features:
- Decent spot for lunch in midtownOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/25/2014Came here for a business lunch as we needed to meet near Grand Central. Not overly busy or noisy which was helpful as I was interviewing a candidate for a job. Service was extremely attentive - almost overly so, as there were numerous empty tables. We ordered salads as main dishes and had a couple of bottles of water. With a tip, it was $60 which seems a bit pricey even for Manhattan. Not sure I will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- USWDinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014Very good food for a midtown lunch IF one has time to spare for a relaxing 90 minutes. Black linguine is excellent; frilled fish is always well prepared. The need to augment with "sides" makes it a little pricey, but that can be warranted for a special lunch.
- great place for lunch in MidtownOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/11/2014Loved it, will go back. Good food, very friendly waiter, and I liked the ambience. A nice understated but good Midtown restaurant. The musak kind of added to that--but they'd probably do well to replace it with better music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food. Slow Service. Noisysr534VIPDined on 6/4/2014The food was good but very slow coming. The service was good, no doubt, in part,t to make up for the slow service. The noise level was beyond "energetic" (yours highest designation). It was almost impossible to hear our friends sitting across from us. I won't go back. I like good food but I eat out for the company too. Disappointing.
- Nice serviceArakakiWDined on 5/28/2014The tuna was awesome and the ambience was quiet and cozy. But the best experience was the treatment. The waiter was very attentive throughout dinner. I recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerWestVillagerDined on 5/21/20148 of my girlfriends got together to surprise our friend for her 28th birthday. The table was perfect for our group, and the restaurant let us decorate the table and the surrounding area as much as we desired. The bartender was very helpful with the wine, the drinks kept flowing, and the food was delicious! We loved it. Had a great time. Prices are kind of crazy, but that's to be expected for a Midtown restaurant I guess. Truffle mac and cheese was the star dish for sure. Also loved the pretzel bread that came to the table.Special Features:
- FunboneVIPDined on 5/7/2014Fun spot to visit for a solid dinner. Nice ambiance, but a little loud when there's a crowd eating. As things settled later in the evening then it was much nicer to share the time with a date.Special Features:
- JenniferDined on 5/5/2014I love it when I find a spot that not many people know about! Great food and ambiance. The homemade gnocchi is a must have and they had a great cocktail list. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, straight-up the middleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/10/2014Solid, straight-up the middle spot for lunch in the 40s off Fifth Avenue. Good seafood options. Sort of hidden within a hotel, so it's not too crowded. Good central location if you're trying to traingulate a group spread around Midtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was saltytastymateVIPDined on 4/8/2014Food was salty, flavors good, but not great. Bar scene may be better than the dining room.
- Better than mostOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/1/2014This is a fine restaurant. BEtter than 90% of what's in Midtown. But for the prices they charge: the service is slow, the food isn't terribly inventive and the atmosphere is cold and a little bizarre. Stop in for an overpriced drink, but I'd skip dinner.
- Great food, poor service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2014The service was honestly terrible, but the food was outstanding. I would probably return again because I weigh the quality of food more than the quality of service. I almost feel like our server could barely speak english and his nationality was unclear to me. The pretzle rolls are to die for. This was a business lunch for 5 people. We were celebrating 25 years of partnership between our two firms. I was from out of town (Philadelphia) and relied on reviews from various websites to help me make my restaurant selection.
- Pre show , my birthdayJandave276Dined on 3/14/2014Group of 6, pre theatre, very nice. Didn't know it was in a hotel so a little hard to find, for the street address. They were out of a reSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WondefullOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/19/2014I brought my husband here for his birthday and we loved it! The food was fantastic and worth the price. If you're looking for a romantic setting and impressive restaurant, this is the definitely the place to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJoeyDined on 2/19/2014I've been hearing good things about this place for a little while now and I finally decieded to go try it out for dinner, and I was very pleased. The good was delicious in my opinion, and my coworker enjoyed it as well. It's a great place to try out, especially if you're always looking for new places to visit. Will definitly be returning!Special Features:
- Central locationdpedrazzVIPDined on 2/7/2014Very good for informal business lunches.... Very quiet and in a central locationSpecial Features:
- Underwhelmedllw112nycVIPDined on 1/22/2014Met my dad here for lunch while he was in town and can't say I was impressed. I had had this restaurant on a list for awhile wanting to try it out, and maybe dinner is more remarkable - but lunch was not. The asparagus soup tasted great - but was gone in 3 spoonfuls. Everything else was just-okay, but each plate seemed to be missing something that the menu stated it contained. To top it all off, our waiter had a VERY odd demeanor that provided us with conversation following the meal, wondering how the guy possibly got through the interview, no less with a job offer... Won't be going back, but hope you have a better experience if you do.
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/16/2014I had a lot of hopes for this place, as I reserved a table for my company. There were 10 of us, ordering everything from steak to salads. The steak entrees were very good, as were most of the appetizers. However, the black linguini was very bland and overcooked. I wish I sent it back! Someone ordered seafood that had a very fishy smell, which was definitely sent back. I won't be returning here.
- I have eaten at Tenpenny aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/14/2014I have eaten at Tenpenny a handful of times. There has been improvement in the decor since my last visit - a little warmer and more visually interesting. The acoustics could still benefit from some attention as it's incredibly loud and hard to hold a conversation. The food this time was more disappointing that the last few visits therefore I moved my rating from 3 to 2 stars. Given the food being so-so and the acoustics being a challenge I would likely try another neighborhood place vs this one again. Given the prices - a fair rating - isn't worth the expense. I would be open to grabbing a drink there at the bar.Special Features:
- City visitorCityvisitorDined on 1/11/2014Preparing to attend an event at MSG my husband and I decided to make a dinner reservation somewhat nearby. All of searches for top restaurants led us to establishments with no availability and then we happened upon tenpenney. The menu looked pricey (expected in the city) but decent from an options standpoint. When we walked in we already regretted it. We were the only diners aside from a couple people at the bar. While it was nice having the place to ourselves it was just fine - average food, decent service but nothing to write home about and well certainly not an experience anywhere near the price. Wouldn't go back.
- An oasis in midtown ManhattanhomechefDined on 12/28/2013We wanted a reasonably quiet restaurant where we could catch up with longtime friends in comfortable, relaxing surroundings over a satisfying meal. We picked this restaurant based on Open Table reviews, as it sounded as if it could fit the bill. It did, to a T. The staff were all very welcoming and attentive, the cuisine was contemporary and delicious, and the room itself feels totally away from the world outside, which in midtown Manhattan is a rare thing. The wine list is ample, and oenophiles would find this a great destination. Not sure how it would have been on a weeknight, but on this Saturday between Christmas and New Year's Day, it was just what we were looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the place is small, nicelymitzalaVIPDined on 12/27/2013the place is small, nicely appointed, had a nice feel about it. The service was great, the food was delicious. we had black linguine with4 maybe 5 large shrimp for $36. There was not much linguine for that price felt it could have given a little more pasta. We also had lobster ravioli (5 nice size ravioli) for $32. bread and butter was just the way I like, warm bread and very creamy butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.