960 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ampdgroup.com/
- Phone: 4123188000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott DeLuca
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: TEN PENNY can accommodate private parties up to 14 guests (options available for larger groups.) Additional amenities for private parties include: TV/DVD, wireless access, and laptop/projector hook ups. Food and beverage minimums apply; deposit required.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle LaValle-Denk 4123188000x
A word from Ten Penny
TEN PENNY focuses on fresh ingredients and comfortable dining where traditional becomes modern. Ten Penny is the newest venture of the AMPD Group, a dynamic entertainment and hospitality development and management company located in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. With a commitment to excellence, Ten Penny works closely with area purveyors to ensure immediate access to fresh, high-quality produce, meat, and fish. The dining experience is consistent with the AMPD Group’s goal of providing Pittsburgh’s Premier Dining and Entertainment Destinations. Ten Penny is located in Convention Tower at 960 Penn Avenue.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Ten Penny - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Ten Penny reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)vibrant bar scene (80)good for groups (75)hot spot (72)great for lunch (48)special occasion (47)neighborhood gem (39)notable wine list (33)late-night find (20)great for brunch (16)scenic view (15)romantic (12)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Salt peoplePaulPVIPDined on 9/27/2014They tried to have an upscale menu but it's over their ability. Nothing was seasoned appropriately and the food was just off. A little salt would go a long way.Special Features:
- Very Good PlaceJamelleDined on 9/27/2014My only issue with the evening was the service. The server never introduce themselves to us and seemed rushed at times. The server was very nice but nearly left without asking me for my choice of dessert after asking my wife. I think the restaurant is a great place but the our service was a little bit of a miss for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kp2kbDined on 9/26/2014Decent meal but small portions. Server was not the greatest- not very attentive and was a little rude. Atmosphere was nice but I would not go out of my way to go back.
- Service was PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014Decor is amazing, menu looks great, service was as bad as I had been told, food was average.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014We enjoyed the service and the food before our visit to the Broadway Series.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisTDined on 9/23/2014Great lunch spot and not too busy. A little pricey, but the food is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2014I've tried Ten Penny twice now, and I wish I wouldn't have given them another chance. Their service is absolutely terrible and there is no attention to detail. Both times I was there it took at least two hours from sitting down to get our food. When the food finally did come out there was always something wrong and it was impossible to have it corrected. The staff makes a lot of apologies but doesn't correct the situations.
- EnjoyableLisaDined on 9/20/2014Food was delicious! Excellent pours on drinks. The booth was too low for the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZippyVIPDined on 9/19/2014I will come back to Ten Penny but probably a Saturday afternoon. Very loud so hard to have a conversation. Food and service is good not great, but the place is darling and maybe a different night than a Friday would help. Nice to have the valet!Special Features:
- Better than expectedrun2eatDined on 9/13/2014We had read a couple of reviews stating the service was less than desirable but we had an excellent experience. Our server was knowledgeable and efficient and personable. The appetizer (lamb flatbread) was delicious. The only criticism is my fish was slightly more well done than I like, but I was forewarned by the server. However, the flavors were wonderful and asparagus was PERFECT. Kudos for a great night out!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful! Don't hesitate.KatieLouDined on 9/13/2014This is last visit was my third and each time I love it more. Great shareable dishes, love the different wine glass pour choices and all dishes I've tried have been de-lish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnerconcertgoerDined on 9/13/2014We had made a reservation for Ten Penny prior to our concert that night. The food was very delicious, however, I would say they have somewhat of a limited menu.Special Features:
- Service was second to noneOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014Service, the food, the look. All excellent! We will be back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten Penny DisappointsDanGDined on 9/9/2014I had had a nice meal at Ten Penny with a group in June, so returned with a colleague for dinner. From the opening surly hostess (who wanted to place us by the kitchen ad was not pleased when we asked for a nicer table) to the overly sweet salad and much too salty duck breast I was very disappointed this time around and will likely not go back. My colleagues Brussels sprouts dish was also overly heavy... The one bright spot was an excellent server!!!Special Features:
- Nice Ten PennyEclecticAmbianceDined on 9/5/2014It was incredibly noisy - hard to chat with my husband for his bday dinner, or talk to the waiter. The place was very dark - couldn't see menu without using light on cell phone. Waiter was too new and had struggles... Food and drink DID NOT Disappoint! It was fabulous! We will go there again! Great place for groups and bar was rockin!Special Features:
- EnjoyablePgheveningsDined on 8/29/2014We had an enjoyable dinner with friends. The service was outstanding. Beer and wine list very good. We will certainly go back again.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodDaisyVIPDined on 8/28/2014We arrived for lunch on a weekday and there were plenty of tables available. Service was good - the server was very helpful in recommending drinks and lunch dishes. We both got the tomato soup and grilled cheese which was good, but not remarkable. Overall a good experience - it was quiet so we were able to chat. Enjoyed the cocktails as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten Penny - Great ExperienceBurghophileDined on 8/28/2014Have been to Ten Penny several times now and have been pleased each time. The food does not disappoint and the venue great with exposed brick and open space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Try ...... No GoodleenieVIPDined on 8/27/2014I want this place to work but the food and service are hit or miss........ They need to work the kinks out.Special Features:
- Nice place.TenPennyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Nice atmosphere. Our server was excellent. Food was good. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I went for dinner after having drinks at Sienna Mercato. We had a reservation. The hostess took us to the furthest table in back next to service area. We asked to be moved up front next to the open windows as it was a nice nite and we had passed open tables. She said they were reserved and I stated that we also had a reservation. She did accomodate after saying that she "guesses she could give us one since other guests had not shown up". Our waitress was nice, but very slow. From arrival at the table to getting a drink was 20 mins. The pitcher of water placed at our table was not cold. At that point, we decided just to order some flatbreads to share. Might have a drink and app at bar but would not go back for dinner.Special Features:
- Ten Penny near Convention centerPghfoodDined on 8/23/2014The service was attentive and friendly. The food was good especially the Brussel sprouts and calamari. The couch seating is too low for many diners and should be addressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I'm spoiled.......twicebakedVIPDined on 8/22/2014Showed up 5 minutes before reservation time. Seated, near the kitchen, 15-20 after said time. Asked for a different table - told "unable", even though we could see other available tables. Took another 10 minutes before the waiter finally showed up. Prickly Pear Marg was too tart and sent back. The only reason I didn't rate the food as poor was due the the brussel sprout and truffle fry appetizers. Brussel sprouts came out relatively quickly. Fries TOOK FOREVER, but were pretty good. One of us ordered the scallops dish - she said it was very good. 3 of us ordered the blackened Ahi Tuna. One was cooked to order and he said it was average. One was undercooked and one was over cooked. Overall not impressed.
- FairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Went for lunch on a week day. Bread was not good pretzel roll and twist roll were dull and commercial looking and tasting. The butter was stale. Tomato soup was very good; would have been nice with a side of croutons or a bread twist of some sort. Green salad was very lackluster, boring,skimpy, and not super fresh. The restaurant is really great looking. Except for the horrible booth tables that came up to our chins! Really uncomfortable and awkward. Hope the restaurant can add some zing and touches of detail needed; the potential is there.
- Terrific Atmosphere and service.ChrismDined on 8/15/2014Our family had dinner at Ten Penny on a gorgeous Friday evening. Our waiter Bart suggested the prix fix special "cherry stuffed pork chop" which I tried and was very good, an appetizer of gazpacho accompanied with calamari pate dish that was very good. The restaurant felt very warm and inviting even though the space is open and airy. I would definitely go back there. Its an excellent choice to pre game before a sporting event in the Burgh.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014The food was ok. The waitress couldn't explain the items on the menu. The drinks were great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh my!BeemerGirlDined on 8/12/2014What a great new spot! Delicious food, wonderful service, valet parking.....a divine brussel sprout salad ( would have been happy with just a big plate of it for dinner!) decor is refreshing but all the hard surfaces ( wood celling and floors) make it a bit on the loud side. Still Ten Penny says "come back" and I will...soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014I ordered the crabcake sandwich and fries. Both were delicious. The service was pretty slow, which is not ideal when you go in for lunch and have a limited amount of time. While the service was a bit slow the staff was friendly personable. I'll definitely be back, but probably not with time constraints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resturant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014I was most recently here during restaurant and was Cucumber Gazpacho was amazing and by far my favorite course. The desserts are wonder and the drink list is new and different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AM1234VIPDined on 8/11/2014First time at Ten Penny for lunch. Enjoyed the food and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience Start to FinishlikestoeatDined on 8/9/2014Overall the restaurant has an upbeat vibe and is great for large groups or a fun date night. The menu was fantastic with tons of great appetizers, small plates, and delicious entrees. All in all, the food, service and atmosphere will have me coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising...BELinMADined on 8/6/2014Finding a restaurant with this quality of food immediately adjacent to the Lawrence convention center in downtown Pittsburgh was a pleasant surprise. We enjoyed our dinner there. The Brussels sprouts with bacon jam from the "Shareables" part of the menu is highly recommended. Wine list was good and mostly fairly priced. If we're in the Pittsburgh downtown area again we would certainly return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in PittsburghretiredtravelerDined on 8/4/2014Living near the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park NY I am not often impressed with restaurants outside the Hudson Valley. Ten Penny was tops in every category right from my greeting at the door. I was dining alone and was given a 'prime' seat without asking. My mango mojito was fantastic so kudos to the bartender. My waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. The food was fantastic and prepared to perfection. I heard he was fairly new (a couple of months there). The decor is very nice. My congratulations to the manager of the restaurant. You are a true professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten Penny BrunchSam1Dined on 8/3/2014My family of eight enjoyed a delicious brunch on Sunday. The menu is unique and the food is delicious. The server was extremely slow that day as we were there over two hours. It took ten minutes to get our drinks from the bar, and then another fifteen minutes to order, and forty minutes to receive our selections. We were glad that we planned on a leisurely brunch, but it was a bit of a long wait. This was our second visit, and we had no issues with the first brunch experience. We do plan to dine at Ten Penny again and hope this atypical of their usual service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experience!mrtesorDined on 8/3/2014I was very pleased with the food and environment for brunch. I look forward to coming back for dinner and cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014Great looking contemporary restaurant. The food was good and the service was slow. They just need to iron out the kinks!!Special Features:
- AmandaLynnDined on 8/2/2014Really good food. For the price, the food was appropriate and worth every penny. The food is solid and tasty. Good downtown location near convention center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointedSundressSueDined on 8/2/2014The service was so slow and the restaurant was not crowded. Our entrees took about 45 minutes to get to the table and we had to ask about them. We arrived at 6pm and were promptly seated, but we barely made our show at 8pm.Special Features:
- Fun Place to GopopsDined on 8/2/2014Very cool restuarant and bar with interesting menu. The Ten Penny Burger is great as is the mac & cheese. Wine by the glass is nice because they serve larger quantity and leave small carafe so you aren't always waiting for refills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmospherePeteyM15Dined on 8/1/2014This was my second experience at this restaurant. We were seated promptly at a great table. Our food was very good (LOVE the Brussels sprouts small plate) and they have a unique drink list. Overall very happy with our experience.Special Features: