960 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ampdgroup.com/
- Phone: 4123188000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott DeLuca
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: TEN PENNY can accommodate private parties up to 14 guests (options available for larger groups.) Additional amenities for private parties include: TV/DVD, wireless access, and laptop/projector hook ups. Food and beverage minimums apply; deposit required.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle LaValle-Denk 4123188000x
A word from Ten Penny
TEN PENNY focuses on fresh ingredients and comfortable dining where traditional becomes modern. Ten Penny is the newest venture of the AMPD Group, a dynamic entertainment and hospitality development and management company located in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. With a commitment to excellence, Ten Penny works closely with area purveyors to ensure immediate access to fresh, high-quality produce, meat, and fish. The dining experience is consistent with the AMPD Group’s goal of providing Pittsburgh’s Premier Dining and Entertainment Destinations. Ten Penny is located in Convention Tower at 960 Penn Avenue.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Ten Penny - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Ten Penny reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)good for groups (74)vibrant bar scene (67)hot spot (64)special occasion (46)great for lunch (40)neighborhood gem (35)notable wine list (34)late-night find (18)romantic (15)great for brunch (12)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- AmazingMikeDined on 10/18/2014Never have a bad experience here! Love the food and great drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downtowndiner60downtowndiner60Dined on 10/18/2014Ten Penny is a popular place, but its food does not match its ambience. Mussels are a favorite with my husband and I- the mussels were small and plump but were served with a slice of Texas toast and, because we were not given a bowl for shells, they soon overflowed the table. Rolls in the breadbasket were cold and hard... a little warming would have improved their taste.Special Features:
- Very Nice!AmyLVIPDined on 10/16/2014This was a very nice restaurant with great ambiance. It sat very close to the hotel where we were staying. We ordered the cheese plate appetizer (group of six) and I had pumpkin soup (delicious!). They brought out bread consisting of little muffins and pretzel bread - all excellent. I had for an entree scallops with butternut squash risotto. While the scallops were a little salty, they paired well with the risotto, which melted in your mouth. My husband had a New York strip steak and said it was the best steak he's ever had! Everyone else had steaks or burgers and loved them. Service was a little slow at times.Special Features:
- Ten Penny 2014PeteVIPDined on 10/14/2014We've now been there 3 times. Each time has gotten markedly better over the past year. There were 4 of us. The salmon, filet mignon and seared ahi tuna were very good. None of the dishes were disguised with sauces but tasted very fresh. The portions were normal not typically Pittsburgh huge. Very good salad. Great bar. It was warm enough to have the walls open to Penn Avenue which, while a little noisy, is always good considering our impending winter. Wonderful wait staff. We've now made this one of our 'go to' places.Special Features:
- Great food and services!Bubd63VIPDined on 10/11/2014Totally enjoyed our experience. Looking forward to our next dining experience at this great Restrauant!Special Features:
- GoodPittharvest32Dined on 10/8/2014The food was good but priced for the location downtown not the quality of the food. Service is a little slow but I think that was just our server. It is a quality place, with a good location and nice atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfactoryLurvefoodDined on 10/5/2014My boyfriend and I went for brunch on Sunday and the food was okay but nothing noteworthy. I had the smoked salmon plate and a salad. The smoked salmon was good, the pumpernickel toast was a bit too dry. My boyfriend had the steak and fries. We both looked at the steak and felt defeated when it came out-it was so small and he said the glaze wasn't very good. It was also more well-done than medium. He was just very disappointed. It's a cool place but I wouldn't recommend the food. Our server was pretty great, though.Special Features:
- Best Mac & CheeseKTuckDined on 10/2/2014The truffle mac & cheese is the best mac & cheese that I have ever had. It is consistently delicious and decadent. No matter what else I order when I go to Ten Penny (and everything else is always fantastic), I get an order of the mac & cheese. It's so worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014This was the first date night for my husband and me since the birth of our daughter. The restaurant is at the far end of the cultural district, but we enjoyed the walk. The ambiance of the restaurant was great - rustic decor. There were groups with children that appeared to be well catered to. The food was delicious - I had the blackened ahi tuna, and my husband had the lamb shank. It was a nice amount of food that didn't sit heavy. The service was good too. I would go back for another date night, family get together, or even just meeting up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go backCarrieDined on 10/2/2014Love the decor, the staff was rude, and the food mediocre
- Excellent!PittsocialDined on 10/1/2014The food was delicious and service was wonderful. The waiter made sure to get us the bill in order to make it to our play on time and was very prompt delivering all food and beverages. I loved the atmosphere and the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimboJimboDined on 10/1/2014Been to Ten Penny a few times. Nice location and very attractive restaurant. The food is very good but the menu is very unique. There is not much on there for the less adventurous eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014We like to try new resturants each time we go to a show - this place was recommended in the packet with our Broadway series! They honored our 15% discount with our theater tickets, the food was DELICIOUS! The service was terrific - very polite and sweet! The atmosphere was cute, quiet and a very easy walk to Heinz hall. We will definetely go back!Special Features:
- I prob ordered the wrong thingPghRyDined on 9/30/2014i got the chicken curry. Was not at all what I was expecting. Also, it's a bit pricey considering that the lunch entree came with no bread or a side. Overall I'd give the place a B. The service was average as well. (The waitress did not know how to describe the entree)Special Features:
- Salt peoplePaulPVIPDined on 9/27/2014They tried to have an upscale menu but it's over their ability. Nothing was seasoned appropriately and the food was just off. A little salt would go a long way.Special Features:
- Very Good PlaceJamelleDined on 9/27/2014My only issue with the evening was the service. The server never introduce themselves to us and seemed rushed at times. The server was very nice but nearly left without asking me for my choice of dessert after asking my wife. I think the restaurant is a great place but the our service was a little bit of a miss for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kp2kbDined on 9/26/2014Decent meal but small portions. Server was not the greatest- not very attentive and was a little rude. Atmosphere was nice but I would not go out of my way to go back.
- Service was PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014Decor is amazing, menu looks great, service was as bad as I had been told, food was average.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014We enjoyed the service and the food before our visit to the Broadway Series.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisTDined on 9/23/2014Great lunch spot and not too busy. A little pricey, but the food is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2014I've tried Ten Penny twice now, and I wish I wouldn't have given them another chance. Their service is absolutely terrible and there is no attention to detail. Both times I was there it took at least two hours from sitting down to get our food. When the food finally did come out there was always something wrong and it was impossible to have it corrected. The staff makes a lot of apologies but doesn't correct the situations.
- EnjoyableLisaDined on 9/20/2014Food was delicious! Excellent pours on drinks. The booth was too low for the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZippyVIPDined on 9/19/2014I will come back to Ten Penny but probably a Saturday afternoon. Very loud so hard to have a conversation. Food and service is good not great, but the place is darling and maybe a different night than a Friday would help. Nice to have the valet!Special Features:
- Better than expectedrun2eatDined on 9/13/2014We had read a couple of reviews stating the service was less than desirable but we had an excellent experience. Our server was knowledgeable and efficient and personable. The appetizer (lamb flatbread) was delicious. The only criticism is my fish was slightly more well done than I like, but I was forewarned by the server. However, the flavors were wonderful and asparagus was PERFECT. Kudos for a great night out!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful! Don't hesitate.KatieLouDined on 9/13/2014This is last visit was my third and each time I love it more. Great shareable dishes, love the different wine glass pour choices and all dishes I've tried have been de-lish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnerconcertgoerDined on 9/13/2014We had made a reservation for Ten Penny prior to our concert that night. The food was very delicious, however, I would say they have somewhat of a limited menu.Special Features:
- Service was second to noneOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014Service, the food, the look. All excellent! We will be back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten Penny DisappointsDanGDined on 9/9/2014I had had a nice meal at Ten Penny with a group in June, so returned with a colleague for dinner. From the opening surly hostess (who wanted to place us by the kitchen ad was not pleased when we asked for a nicer table) to the overly sweet salad and much too salty duck breast I was very disappointed this time around and will likely not go back. My colleagues Brussels sprouts dish was also overly heavy... The one bright spot was an excellent server!!!Special Features:
- Nice Ten PennyEclecticAmbianceDined on 9/5/2014It was incredibly noisy - hard to chat with my husband for his bday dinner, or talk to the waiter. The place was very dark - couldn't see menu without using light on cell phone. Waiter was too new and had struggles... Food and drink DID NOT Disappoint! It was fabulous! We will go there again! Great place for groups and bar was rockin!Special Features:
- EnjoyablePgheveningsDined on 8/29/2014We had an enjoyable dinner with friends. The service was outstanding. Beer and wine list very good. We will certainly go back again.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodDaisyVIPDined on 8/28/2014We arrived for lunch on a weekday and there were plenty of tables available. Service was good - the server was very helpful in recommending drinks and lunch dishes. We both got the tomato soup and grilled cheese which was good, but not remarkable. Overall a good experience - it was quiet so we were able to chat. Enjoyed the cocktails as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten Penny - Great ExperienceBurghophileDined on 8/28/2014Have been to Ten Penny several times now and have been pleased each time. The food does not disappoint and the venue great with exposed brick and open space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Try ...... No GoodleenieVIPDined on 8/27/2014I want this place to work but the food and service are hit or miss........ They need to work the kinks out.Special Features:
- Nice place.TenPennyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Nice atmosphere. Our server was excellent. Food was good. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I went for dinner after having drinks at Sienna Mercato. We had a reservation. The hostess took us to the furthest table in back next to service area. We asked to be moved up front next to the open windows as it was a nice nite and we had passed open tables. She said they were reserved and I stated that we also had a reservation. She did accomodate after saying that she "guesses she could give us one since other guests had not shown up". Our waitress was nice, but very slow. From arrival at the table to getting a drink was 20 mins. The pitcher of water placed at our table was not cold. At that point, we decided just to order some flatbreads to share. Might have a drink and app at bar but would not go back for dinner.Special Features:
- Ten Penny near Convention centerPghfoodDined on 8/23/2014The service was attentive and friendly. The food was good especially the Brussel sprouts and calamari. The couch seating is too low for many diners and should be addressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I'm spoiled.......twicebakedVIPDined on 8/22/2014Showed up 5 minutes before reservation time. Seated, near the kitchen, 15-20 after said time. Asked for a different table - told "unable", even though we could see other available tables. Took another 10 minutes before the waiter finally showed up. Prickly Pear Marg was too tart and sent back. The only reason I didn't rate the food as poor was due the the brussel sprout and truffle fry appetizers. Brussel sprouts came out relatively quickly. Fries TOOK FOREVER, but were pretty good. One of us ordered the scallops dish - she said it was very good. 3 of us ordered the blackened Ahi Tuna. One was cooked to order and he said it was average. One was undercooked and one was over cooked. Overall not impressed.
- FairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Went for lunch on a week day. Bread was not good pretzel roll and twist roll were dull and commercial looking and tasting. The butter was stale. Tomato soup was very good; would have been nice with a side of croutons or a bread twist of some sort. Green salad was very lackluster, boring,skimpy, and not super fresh. The restaurant is really great looking. Except for the horrible booth tables that came up to our chins! Really uncomfortable and awkward. Hope the restaurant can add some zing and touches of detail needed; the potential is there.
- Terrific Atmosphere and service.ChrismDined on 8/15/2014Our family had dinner at Ten Penny on a gorgeous Friday evening. Our waiter Bart suggested the prix fix special "cherry stuffed pork chop" which I tried and was very good, an appetizer of gazpacho accompanied with calamari pate dish that was very good. The restaurant felt very warm and inviting even though the space is open and airy. I would definitely go back there. Its an excellent choice to pre game before a sporting event in the Burgh.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014The food was ok. The waitress couldn't explain the items on the menu. The drinks were great.I would recommend this to a friend.