19 North Broadway
Billings, MT 59102Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.northernhotel.com/ten
- Phone: 4068676774x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Timothy Freeman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: TEN’s private dining room seats up to 25 people; it’s perfect for a business dinner, birthday party, or rehearsal dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Ward 4068676721x
A word from TEN
TEN, the Northern’s fine dining restaurant, is named after the owner’s father, Thomas Edgar Nelson. The atmosphere in TEN brings back memories of the previous Northern Hotel as the place to meet, greet, and enjoy great food and drinks. Serving traditional American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
TEN reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)romantic (26)fit for foodies (18)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (11)good for groups (8)hot spot (6)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Quiet Monday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014We had a nice dinner - service was good and timely. Food was very good and they are now serving normal sized salads (instead of a whole head of lettuce like last year). Three of us had tenderloins which were very nice; however, the 2 that were ordered medium-rare came out closer to medium (still the quality was excellent). The other person in our party had the shrimp and scallops which were elegant, but an exremely small portion for the price. The wine list was great - we had an Orin Swift Grenache. Overall we had a good experience and the restaurant seems to be much better than last year due to the new chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Thought the plates were over priced for amount of food you received. It didn't include a side salad or soup beforehand. I ordered the shrimp and scallops and only received 2 shrimp and 3 small scallops. My Husband got the elk and it was very tough. Thought the food would be better for the price you pay.Special Features:
- WyoTanaWomanDined on 10/3/2014As a group of 7 we had an enjoyable, relaxed experince with perfectly cooked steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014When we arrived the restaurant was slow we were seated it took 15minutes for 4 server to get to us another 15minutes to get drinks.Food was just Ok not 4 star.
- Good nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed the night but we thought the food was average. My elk steak pieces were somewhat chewy. Beautiful restaurant, though, and very romantic.Special Features:
- Ten restaurant reviewOutToLunch1113Dined on 9/5/2014I had the duck ravioli. The portion size was too small, seasonings too sparse and non-edible garnishments were too apparent.Special Features:
- DivineVouieDined on 9/5/2014I love the TEN restaurant's ambience and my dessert was amazing-chocolate mousse cheesecake!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in Billingsggavin1Dined on 8/30/2014Great food and a great environment. I would highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:
- Change of Pace in downtown BillingsGottaluvgrizDined on 8/23/2014Had the opportunity to dine at TEN in the Northern Hotel in Billings to celebrate our Anniversary. Menu has been changed and is much more comprehensive than before. (wonderful options that include Elk & buffalo to the steak choices and scallops, halibut or shrimp dishes to fill out the fish options. We started with the fried asparagus appetizer with crab/mushroom sauce. (VERY GOOD!) The hot rolls are fantastic!!! I had the elk medallions and my wife the scallops with shrimp. Both dishes were beautifully presented and delicious. We saved room for dessert and had a chocolate cheese cake with raspeberry carmel sauce.....(The ambiance is wonderful with a piano playing in the background. All in all, a wonderful addition to Billings dining)Special Features:
- anniversary dinnersmalltownDined on 8/23/2014awesome atmosphere. great entries. excellent wine. bar too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantFoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014What a wonderful dining experience. Our waiter, Anthony,was warm and interesting and very attentive. The food was really outstanding, We had steak and I asked for a blue cheese-butter topping. It was not on the menu, but the chef fixed it up and it was served with the steak. This is a restaurant in an upscale hotel in downtown Billings. Very well done. On our next trip to Billings we will go back.Special Features:
- Very nice dinnerSheridanDined on 8/15/2014We had seen a TV special on a Montana news program about the historic hotel and dining venue. We happened to be in the Billings area for our anniversary so made reservations for a special dinner. The TEN is nice! The food was great, pricing reasonable and service was good. We started in the bar area for a cocktail. Staff and guests were very casual. It was a friendly atmosphere. We then moved to the formal dining area, which was comfortable, more private and fun. We look forward to another occasion to visit again and explore the menu and wine list.Special Features:
- Awesome AnniversaryFamilyFunDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I celebrated our Anniversary at TEN. We had always heard about the experience but never made the time. Everything from the menu choices to the setting was perfect. Our waiter Tony was the perfect blend of a source of information and service yet knew just when we wanted to enjoy our special nightSpecial Features:
- 3 couples celebrating 30 yr anniverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The asparagus appetizer is to die for! The ribeyes excellent(coming from a veteran meat cutter & cook), the Chinese pork & pork rib very good(impressive rib proportion). The halibut this time was over powered by the fennel & spices, however it is wonderful to try new flavors and commend the restaurant for culinary menu excellence! Our waitress was very knowledgeable and delightful...I am sorry I did not get her name. We shared 3 desserts which were most excellent, the homemade huckleberry and ice cream winning the overall vote. We chose TEN for the Quiet aspect so that we could hear each other as we visited. At times the piano & singing was a little too loud coming from the bar. Over-all perfect place to share an evening with freinds!Special Features:
- Could be something specialDCdinerDined on 8/8/2014My friend and I ate there on a Friday night in August. Beautiful room with an attached bar area (and good bourbon list!). Noise from bar spilled into dining room, but it wasn't to an annoying level. I have no complaints about the food. Both appetizers - ahi tuna and yellowtail (kinilaw on menu) were fresh and interestingly prepared and presented. Our steaks were cooked perfectly and were nice pieces of meat. Wine list was small, but we found a good bottle. The "but" is with the service. None of the wait staff seemed experienced or polished for this level of dining and service. Our guy was fine, but I can see what people were saying in other reviews. There were no busboys or expediters, so that could be issue. Glad we ate on slow night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I would definitely recommend Ten to anyone looking for an outstanding dining experience. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to Billings!NewNorthernfanDined on 8/6/2014My experience at the Northern Hotel and at "10" could not have been better - the staff at the hotel and at "10" are exceptionally friendly and accommodating. The wait staff, in particular Anthony Sullivan, were very knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list - all of my guests were highly satisfied with his service, his guidance and his wine-pairing suggestion. The food was very good and came out hot and as ordered. The rooms were exceptionally clean and comfortable and the front desk staff (both evenings and mornings) were very friendly, very professional and very engaging. Have been in highly regarded and well known hotels coast to coast and the Northern, "10" and its employees are second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.WineitDineitDined on 8/5/2014I really enjoyed this restaurant, the service was great the ambience was lovely and our server was very professional. This restaurant would definitely be on my list to return to if I was returning Billings which I would love too. I found the food and the wine well priced for the quality that was offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service so bad we walked out!BillDined on 8/4/2014We were so excited to try TEN. We were seated for 40 minutes, and still hadn't received even a cocktail. Our server took our drink order after 20 minutes, then disappeared again. The place was not busy, so that wasn't the issue. Finally, after 40 minutes wiht not even a drink, we got up and walked out. This is only the second time in my life I've done so. The place was beautiful, and the menu looked great. Too bad the service was so poor that we never had the opportunity to enjoy either.
- First time, last timejane265Dined on 8/1/2014It was very easy to make a reservation with a mobile app, I appreciate that. Oour waiter explained he was the bartender filling in. Our steaks were way overcooked and he did not come back to check on us. They offered to comp my dinner or a dessert on the house. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and we do not make it to Billings often, needless to say dinner was more than dissappointing. Probably safe to say we will not be back.Special Features:
- Good Experience!!!BJdaDJDined on 7/29/2014The food was excellent, but the service was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but needs improvementTAZb1Dined on 7/26/2014The overall experience was good but when you bring family/friends from other states, you want the best to impress. FOOD: Excellent but need to expand menu, offer more choices. NOISE: lower the piano, eliminate the singer or get a better one. LOUD CUSTOMERS at the bar: try to keep better control when someone has had too much to drink. I like that this restaurant is fancy because Billings needs this, but maybe add a casual twist to make it stand out above the rest. I think this place has the potential to be the best in Montana and we will try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodDelectableDined on 7/21/2014The service and food were excellent! A great venue for special nights out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local guyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014great potential and well meaning staff. some of the menu choices seem to be trying to hard to be big city chic rather than great food served well in a classy environment,all of which seems eminently possible at this site,but somehow is not connecting. visited only twice about one year between visits and unfortunately likely to be that long or longer before returning. I really do hope that this site is successful as billings needs a classy special occasion dining occasion, but for now, I think they are missing the mark. dedicated staff though.Special Features:
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Didn't live up to the hype. Okay but not worth the money.Special Features:
- The following 8 reviews are from the TEN reviews archive.
- over pricedfoodguyDined on 6/21/2014TEN was not what I expected. Our waiter struggled to tell us the specials, and treated us like we were not able to understand what each dish was. TEN was apparently in the process of changing there menu. The choices was small to begin with but with 3 to 4 of the items not being offered, you really didnt have much to choose from. The pricing is high for the quantity of the food. There are much better restaurants in Billings. I will not be going back.Special Features:
- Dinner at TENGngrpwr1Dined on 6/17/2014The atmosphere and the service was amazing! Great wine list and cocktails. The food was great but the menu needs a little work. Hard to order when half the menu items are unavailable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The service was great. The waiter was training a new waitress so we had two attending to our table. The waiter did get one item wrong on our order and did offer to make it right, several times however it was minor with the wrong order of potatoes which was not a big deal to us. The food is pretty good and a little higher on price than what you will pay for similar items at other local restaurants however the service made up for it. The bar next door was a little loud and it was not that busy. If it was a busy night the noise level would lower the rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The TEN ambiancealbion1Dined on 6/5/2014We have been to TEN about five times. It's a delight to see how the ambiance has evolved from curiosity at the beginning to current verve of staff and customers. It seems it's filled with people at their best. Classy, not stuffy. Fabulous.Special Features:
- What a find!!!!out2eatDined on 5/31/2014TEN was wonderful! The food was seasonal, delicious and beautifully presented. The ambience was lovely and the service professional and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining and serviceLoveToEatDined on 5/30/2014TEN is located in the historic Northern Hotel and has been beautifully restored. The service was great. The live piano music was delightful. We had the app special which consisted of sausage stuffed into button mushrooms. Next, the beet salad—roasted beets, ricotta salada, toasted pine nuts, micro greens with a champagne vinaigrette. Delish! For an entree, two of us ordered the White Peking Duck with confit, white bean and smoked duck cassoulet. My husband said it was one of the best preparations of duck he'd ever had. I had the Diver Scallops—pan seared, farro wheat brie risotto with a pear vinaigrette. And desert consisted of homemade vanilla ice cream with candied bacon in caramel sauce on a graham cracker cookie crust. Wow.Special Features:
- A perfect eveningbillingsgalDined on 5/9/2014Excellent all the way around: excellent ambiance, excellent service, excellent food. My family and I couldn't have been more pleased. Thank you for a wonderful evening. My sister said it was the best pasta she's ever had. My brother-in-law and I thoroughly enjoyed the New York steak - perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To many mistakesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014We where with 5 people and 3 off. the meals wheren't good. The paella was boring and dis not taste of paella at all. I had the scallops and there was scale in the dish. My brother ordered the steak medium raw and it was well done. For these prices you can't afford mistakes!Special Features: