165 Midland Ave
Basalt, CO 81621Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tempranillorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 970-927-3342
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and dinner served every day. 11 am to 10 pm. Closed Thanksgiving day and Christmas day only
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Javier Gonzalez-Bringas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Tempranillo offers on and off site catering for parties of 10 to 250. We customize all catering menus and formats for each client. On site catering includes lunch parties for 10, dinner parties for 20 at our community table, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres on the patio or in the garden and formal dinners for up to 100 in the dining room.
Tempranillo currently caters all of the food for the Spain tent at the Aspen Food and Wine Festival which requires providing food for up to 5,000 people per day.
- Private Party Facilities: Host your next party at Tempranillo! Call us to review your entertaining plans and we will work with you to make your event extraordinary. We offer a variety of options for your entertainment needs from reserving the whole restaurant, a private dining room or a lawn party
- Private Party Contact: Javier Gonzalez-Bringas 8776577939
- Cross Street: Two Rivers Road
- Public Transit: RFTA bus stop from Aspen, Snowmass and Glenwood Springs is located less than 1 block from Tempranillo Restaurant. From the bus stop, follow Midland ave 1 block and Tempranillo Restaurant will be on the right hand side in the big yellow building.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking for Tempranillo restaurant is located on the south side of the building, next to Alpine Bank. There is also parking directly in front of the restaurant and street parking adjacent.
A word from Tempranillo
Welcome to Tempranillo Restaurant, where internationally acclaimed Chef Javier Gonzalez-Bringas, along with his partner and wife Laura, offer a daily menu of drinks, tapas, dinner and lunch. Gonzalez-Bringas, a Madrid Native, combines an old-world style with a new-world flair in his signature cuisine. The name Tempranillo, itself, pays homage to one of Spain's premier grape varieties, and true to its name the restaurant features a selection of over 100 hand-chosen wines and a hearty blend of fruit filled Sangria. The atmosphere at Tempranillo is notable for its rich colors, dual fireplaces, and community gathering table-all reflecting the equally rich depth of flavors and influences which are at the heart of the restaurant's origins. "Our desire is to create a brilliantly charming place in the community where people can gather and enjoy the dance with exists between the flavors of Spain and Italy"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Tempranillo - Best Restaurants in Basalt ›
Tempranillo reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (17)neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (8)notable wine list (7)romantic (7)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Business Evening - Great ImpressionSkiProfessionalDined on 10/14/2014Thank you for making a great impression on new business associates. Good food, good wine, good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fantastic!DegersuzVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had a wonderful evening at Tempranillo! Amazing food! Wonderful service! Will definitely go back and recommend to others!Special Features:
- Always a memorable meal!MoutainLoverDined on 8/23/2014We always choose Tempernillo for special occassions and when we have family in town. They always have wonderful food that serves all needs (from meat lovers to vegans) and we always enjoy it. They recently came out with a cocktail list that is fantastic. The datiles are out of this world, as is the calamari and chorizo (personal favorites). My 4yo son, who is the pickiest of eaters, loved the grilled chicken on kids menu. You will not be disappointed and they have an outstanding wine list for every member of the group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/18/2014We use to love this place and came regularly for great food and service. But things have changed drastically!!!!……Everything from errors with cocktails, waiters bringing the wrong food to our table and not bringing the food we ordered. Food was good-some things inspired and some mediocre. What happened? So disappointed.
- maggielaughsDined on 8/17/2014Oh my, was the food good. My favorite dishes were the artichoke tapas and the calamari chorizo tapas. We had the paella, with seafood, chicken, and chorizo - also quite good. The service, however, was cool nearing cold. Our waitress couldn't smile if it killed her. Her answers to questions were short and nearing rude. The patio was ever so delightful, which helped us past the service. Delightful birthday dinner had by all. Oh, lest I forget, their desserts were spot on! Cool, creamy creme brûlée with perfectly crunchy top. Perfectly textured chocolate mousse and omg chocolate gelato. Three desserts shared by 6 people and everyone was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alternative to Aspen eating outOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Tempranillo is an easy 30 minutes from Aspen, as tasty and inviting as the best of Aspen and a welcome alternative to the maelstrom up valley. Try their pasta with half a dozen tasty mushrooms. Great wines. Tasty desserts. The veranda is a lovely place in the summertime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beefloverVIPDined on 8/3/2014FOOD WAS EXCELLENT. SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE! RESTAURANT WAS SHORTHANDED AND NEEDED AT LEAST ONE OR TWO MORE WAITERS.
- Really Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014We had a wonderful meal, sitting out on the porch was so beautiful, the service was great, it was an excellent experience!Special Features:
- Great food and funJimokcVIPDined on 8/1/2014The specials are always terrific. You will love this place. The owners are wonderful.Special Features:
- texOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014the service, food and wine were all excellent. porch dining for lunch or late dinner highly recommended. lots of kid noise on end of porch near play ground early evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; service lackingBabyduckDined on 7/9/2014We visited Tempranillo for our 26 Wedding Anniversary dinner. The food was excellent - well prepared and fantastic on the taste buds. The greeting and service was very poor. Three people stood at the door and did not even welcome us. Our waitress was very loud, bold and seemed bothered to even serve us. In addition, the restaurant allows customers with dogs to be seated in the lawn area just off the porch. The dogs were barking often and distracting. Maybe it was an off night - we may try it again.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerWineluv3VIPDined on 7/8/2014We had a wonderful meal dining on the patio; the weather was perfect. Our entres were fantastic, we had a great bottle of wine, and the service was excellent. Everything was going great until another table was seated near ours and the occupants interrupted our experience by talking loudly and a lot! No fault of the restaurant; we just had bad neighbors this evening.Special Features:
- Mothers 82nd birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014We went for my mothers birthday. The service was poor and the waitress was rude. She forgot my mother's entrée and then accused hew of never ordering it (I was sitting right next to her when she ordered and the waitress repeated the name of the dish.) She then brought the entrée with the bill as we were trying to leave and charged us. The food was excellent but they need to hire staff that actually enjoy their job.
- Disappointed againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014With only 2 diners and an empty restaurant (entered early 5:45 pm)on a Friday nigh hostess was unable to seat us at a table for four and those tables remain empty the duration of our meal. This also happened over a year ago when we dined there for our anniversary. Thats why we only eat there once a year and don't recommend it to any one. Its a shame because the food from appetizer entrees and dessert was terrific!Special Features:
- ZionfoodieDined on 7/3/2014Excellent large portion tapas; average Greek salad; attentive servers; nice outdoor porch diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 102 reviews are from the Tempranillo reviews archive.
- An excellent date spotMollyGirlVIPDined on 5/31/2014There are quite a few great restaurants in the mountains, but Tempranillo in Basalt is at the top of our list. Definitely order a signature cocktail or a dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite in BasaltEatalotDined on 5/11/2014This location is an old historic hotel and eating house. The low noise level here makes conversation easy. Seating is comfortable with tables spaced well. The menu offers many choices. Service, food quality and presentation are excellent. They will custom meals for children. On our most recent visit, the salmon, Arctic char, and local pork special were all delicious. Shrimp dishes and tapas meat balls are our favorites. Salads are also very good. Only one criticism is that they use balsamic vinegar in many dishes. If this is not to your liking, let them know. Lovely dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerSones34Dined on 5/9/2014My boyfriend and I went here for our anniversary dinner while visiting CO. Although it was a Friday night we had the formal side of the dining area mostly to ourselves. We got to choose our table by the fireplace and had superb service from Sabina. The goat cheese bruschetta appetizer was delicious, as were both our entrees. We were especially fond of the tempranillo wine we selected, and they offered to let us take home the bottle which we didn't finish with dinner. Would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MisleadingBelowexpectationsDined on 4/24/2014The setting is lovely and enticing. However, the food and service is disappointing. Pricey but definitely not worth such. Sadly, it was the only meal of our week vacation that was not up to expectations. It seemingly should have been way above average but it is not so. Aspen has it best by a mile! Sad but true!Special Features:
- Great new cocktailsWineluv3VIPDined on 4/6/2014The food at Tempranillo never disappoints and is a welcome change to just about everything else in the Aspen area. The new cocktail list is impressive and there is no shortage of good beer and Spanish Wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wow wow wowMelOnWheelsVIPDined on 3/26/2014have been to snowmass several times and usually eat in the village or in downtown aspen...tempranillo was a game changer...50% for women on Wednesdays? check. vibrant bar scene i didn't expect to find in basalt? check. great food and great service? check. super duper place, we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Gem in BasaltPerrymomDined on 3/24/2014This restaurant has a diverse menu selection including full dinner selections and a huge array of wonderful tapas to choose from. Our family of 4 made the decision to share tapas, so we picked several of them -- and we made a fantastic choice!! Every one of the tapas were excellent! We even ordered more after the first round. Our waiter -- didn't get his name (had a beautiful accent) was incredibly knowledgable regarding the wine menu and so helpful with our selections of tapas -- one of the nicest and most professional waiters we have had in our travels! Needless to say, we enjoyed our dining experience at Tempranillo! Next time we are in Aspen, we will definitely drive back to Basalt to this new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Gem near Aspen, CO.SkierDined on 3/22/2014Tempranillo offers an eclectic menu of both main dishes and small plates, presented in an attractive and appetizing manner. Prices are within reason for the quality and quantity of food served. The menu is definitely influenced by the owner's Spanish origins. Dishes are prepared with sometimes surprising but delicious twists. It was a treat to find this local gem in the small, charming town of Basalt, CO.Special Features:
- Love It!SteveVIPDined on 2/22/2014Best Restaurant in ever growing Basalt Great Tapas, Pasta. Wonderful to eat outside int the summer.Special Features:
- This is a special place forBillVIPDined on 2/21/2014This is a special place for anyone visiting the Glenwood Springs- Aspen Valley. The restaurant is in a 19th hotel in historic downtown Basalt. Our meals (mushroom pasta and the special roast pork) were excellent. We will be back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieMartyDined on 2/9/2014I Hate bad food because it ruins my evening. I have never had a bad meal at Tempranllio. Great food and good wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Authentic Spanish Cuisine.Wineluv3VIPDined on 1/24/2014Authentic Spanish Cuisine. Great wine list and service. HealthySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014I choose the Restaurant Trempranillo because it was close to where we stayed and the best option once my boyfriend likes Gastronomy and I would like to suprise him with a great experience on his first time in Aspen. We were surprised overal. It was a wonderful night with excellent food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding tapas offeringsmfishVIPDined on 12/26/2013Whenever we are in the area we visit this place. Everything about it is outstanding. I especially love the Spanish ham and sausages, which are presented in a great variety of ways. We were there after Christmas and there were many large groups including ours. Staff did an excellent job of keeping up with everyone. Staff is very knowledgeable about the great variety of food and wine available. As Arnold said, I'll be Bach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love TempranilloOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013My husband and I visit this fabulous locale every year. This Spanish cuisine takes us back to our wedding in Spain and we always enjoy the food, wine and ambiance. The owner and his staff never disappoint and the food is reminiscent of my family in Pamplona. A must visit for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service wasjessieannDined on 11/4/2013Food was great, service was amazing. Will be back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyWoofDined on 10/17/2013This is our second time, the menu seemed smaller than in the summer, but all was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very uniqueVahinyDined on 10/13/2013Outstanding service with great food!! Would recommend it to anyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2013Food was not at all what we expected based on what we read on the menu. We did tapas and most sounded good, but the taste did not match the anticipated tastefulness. We'd go back and try the dinner menu based on service and ambience.
- Awesome Family OutingDCFamDined on 8/23/2013Our 3 generation group really enjoyed everything about this restaurant. Our waiter was attentive and the food was outstanding. Almost too many great choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restuarant in quaintOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2013Nice restuarant in quaint town outside of Aspen. Spanish-Italian fare. Good pasta. Great patio. Prices better than Aspen but quality of food and service just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Many Choices!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2013Our third trip to this restaurant. Amazing, imagiative menu, difficult to decide just what to order. Portions very generous, great preparation. Pleasant staff. We had Saul as our waiter for second time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mountain DiningIllinoisVIPDined on 7/20/2013A great experience sitting quietly out on the outdoor patio. We enjoyed all the staff and they gave it a nice warm feeling. Food and wine selections were excellent, by far our best dining experience of the week. We would be excited to return again and try some new selections as well. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueNODinerVIPDined on 7/20/2013Unique Spanish menu with a very broad range of tasty menu offerings. Extensive Spanish wine list. Porch seating in tbhe summer is extremely pleasantSpecial Features:
- Great on the porch on a summer'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2013Great on the porch on a summer's evening. Interesting, all Spanish wine list. Great selection of intereting tapas. Will defintiely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.