474 Moody Street
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tempobistro.com/
- Phone: (781) 891-9000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:15pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nathan Sigel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tempo is pleased to cater for any event large or small. For information please contact Nathan or Erin.
- Special Events: We are more than happy to cater to any and all special events!
A word from Tempo
Tempo offers downtown quality and atmosphere in a convenient suburban location on Waltham's "Restaurant Row". The menu features a wide variety of fresh seafood, great cuts of meat, chicken, duck, and truly has something for everyone. Tempo is excellent for a date, great for groups, and the bar is a perfect place for singles and people watching. The cuisine rivals higher-priced alternatives and the staff is welcoming and eager to please. The bar offers the largest selection around and the wine list just received a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Tempo is sure to please.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Tempo - Best Restaurants in Waltham ›
Tempo reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (23)notable wine list (23)special occasion (20)romantic (8)late-night find (7)Show More
- Great RestaurantNikkiDined on 11/15/2014The restaurant is beautiful inside, very warm and inviting. Food, Drinks and Service were top notch. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cozy atmosphereLaurieDined on 11/15/2014Not only was the decor warm and inviting so was the staff. We tried a few apps, my favorite was the home made guacamole, so fresh and delicious. I had the pork chop for my main course. It was so thick I was concerned it was going to be dry but it was cooked perfectly, loved the cranberry and carmelized onions on top. The wine list is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood and VegetarianfirecrackerVIPDined on 11/13/2014Great selections on the menu, especially for seafood and some nice vegetarian optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shame on the cold serviceMikeDSDined on 11/10/2014It was a good meal for four of us - but the server was about as cold as you could get. Yes we were four guys, but at 20% you expect some big smiles. Food good - Tuna was perfectSpecial Features:
- Quality you can count onBillybob207Dined on 11/8/2014We have been fans of Tempo for years. The menu is a challenge: how to decide from so many fine items? The "new" Tempo with it's novel artwork and redesigned layout did not disappoint. A highlight was the Shortrib dish. The Oysters were superior. All of us were very pleased with the food. Still, we would not return during the peak dining hours. Despite serious improvements to the acoustics, the noise (primarily generated at the long wonderful bar) made conversation virtually impossible. As the crown disipated, things improved. I think when you compromise by encouraging a hot bar scene as well as fine dining, there is a collision of purposes. More work on acoustics, please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in townJennVIPDined on 11/8/2014Here for the first time since living in Waltham. Hands down, one of the best meals I've had in years. Good service even tho she was really busy. Menu is creative and seems to change seasonally. A bit pricey for everyday purposes but well worth it on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotrhopeDined on 11/5/2014The tuna and salmon appetizer was wonderful. Nice to have a potato chip with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceConnecticut1Dined on 11/1/2014We had a wonderful dinner here while visiting my daughter, who goes to college in Waltham. The Brussels Sprouts appetizer was outrageously good, and the cashew-crusted mahi was a delicious main course. We will definitely return the next time we're in Waltham!Special Features:
- Creative farm fresh menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014We grabbed dinner at Tempo before a movie on a Saturday and were pleasantly surprised to find a renovated restaurant with a creative and palate satisfying menu. The ambiance was warm and welcoming with casual modern decor. We had truffle fries that were delicious and split a fall salad that was good but the ricotta cheese did not work. I had a scallop dish with hot cherry peppers and sticky rice. Scallops were very fresh and well prepared though the chili peppers and tomatoes were overpowering with the plain rice. My husband had a a very fresh bouillabaisse/fish stew with great flavor. Service was good but not knowledgeable about the menu and the hostess was far from welcoming. We would certainly go back.Special Features:
- Newly renovated TempowinedineVIPDined on 10/31/2014I prefer Tempo in the pre-reno days with the cozy but large, long bar area. The menu seems to be more limited now- we had a hard time finding a menu item that appealed to us, given we do not eat a lot of meat. After ordering (on a Sat night around 8pm) we learned they were out of the beer that was ordered (Amstel) and then out of the special (soup) that we ordered. On the up side, the salads that we ordered we excellent.
- Perfect Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014My boyfriend and I went here for my birthday the other night. It was perfect! The lighting and noise level makes for a romantic atmosphere. The food was amazing and the wine was very reasonably priced. It was the perfect birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent optionYoungen18Dined on 10/30/2014Notable step up from a franchise with really good menu options. My steak was very undercooked but good presentation. Even with the sound improvements it is still loud and difficult to hold a 1:1 conversation. I will certainly give it a try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine listGaryDined on 10/25/2014They have plenty of good wine to choose from and only add $10 to the retail price of the wine so you don't feel like you are getting ripped off when buying a bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was Amazing!!burner416Dined on 10/25/2014You will be extremely happy with the food here. My wife loved her meal and I had the best short ribs I have ever tried!!Special Features:
- Great, as alwayssavoryeaterVIPDined on 10/25/2014This unpretentious neighborhood spot has truly delicious, creative cuisine. Very glad they've resumed taking reservations.Special Features:
- Surprise!ReservationsRmyfavVIPDined on 10/24/2014Wow! What a great surprise this restaurant experience was. Tempo has a wonderfully creative menu, great bar scene and a super friendly and knowledgeable staff. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/20/2014Interesting menu, flavorful food and a reasonably priced wine list are for starters. Our server knew the proper balance of attention and not a rushed atmosphere. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Took a group of co-workers to the restaurant and everyone loved it. We returned as a group 5 nights later before the end of our trip. The word must be out since our last dining experience was a Monday and the restaurant was packed. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menubrooklinegalDined on 10/20/2014Brought work colleagues for dinner. One from NYC. Wise range of options to please all and meet the gluten free needs of New Yorker. Food well prepared and lively presentation. I will return for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingHappydinerDined on 10/18/2014I have eaten at Tempo before....one of our favorite "special occasion" destinations. We also bring out of town guests for a special treat! Last Saturday, had a "seasonal dish" of scallops, and a lovely rissotto which was presenting in a little pumpkin tureen...beautiful presentation and it was delicious! Can't wait for another reason to celebrate....friend birthday etc. or a "happy nothing day treat."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd give it another shotJessVIPDined on 10/18/2014The place is pretty cool looking and they have a nice cap of pricing on wines. The food was pretty good too (great deviled egg & brownie; not enough chips for guac/salsa; yummy kale salad; pork ragout not what expected but good). But the impression we were left with wasn't great because the service was uninterested and rushed. We were hoping to relax a bit, but our meals came out super fast - before our apps were even cleared, and the server did not ask about ordering another drink, which we wanted to but did not. He was really not attentive and didn't seem interested when he did speak to us. I'd give this place another chance, but might be more likely to try somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner!NTBDLDined on 10/11/2014We went with a great group of friends and had a wonderful time at Tempo! The table was ready when we arrived, the service was wonderful and the food was spectacular! I am following a gluten free and mostly Paleo diet and ordering from this menu was simple! I had the pumpkin salad and the pork chop and both were really delicious. Probably the best preparation of a pork chop I have had anywhere. Others who had the tuna loved it, and the short ribs got a rave review too. We split a dessert which was yummy, but i can't remember the name of it. I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Anniversary to UsLilac20Dined on 10/11/2014We recently celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary with dinner at Tempo. The renovation has resulted in an even more stylish space and a noticeably quieter room. Great seasonall menu and same wonderful service though. Thanks for a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood HangoutTamieLVIPDined on 10/10/2014For someone who wants a great meal at a cost-efficient price. The server was pleasant and fairly attentive. The restaurant size is intimate so not ideal for large groups over 10 people. The short ribs are amazing and I would definitely suggest for anyone and to be honest the leftovers were still good.Special Features:
- We'll be backOmnivoreVIPDined on 10/10/2014We hadn't been to Tempo for a few years, but we were recently reminded how good this place is. We enjoyed cocktails from an interesting list, a nice appetizer and each chose a main course from Friday night's specials, a lobster paella and a Cajun style tuna. Yum. We were going to a play, so we ate earlier than we normally would. As we got toward the end of the meal, we were reminded of something we don't like about the place--it gets too noisy. But if you want an early dinner while the place is till quiet, this should be toward the top of your listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food a bit disappointinggoblue22Dined on 9/10/2014A group of 10 of us sampled the menu quite extensively. The calamari was rubbery, the sauce on the Hangar Steak was way too salty, and everything else was pretty much just ok. Nothing wowed and the fact that there were a few big misses really left me with a negative net impression. The beer and wine list was good and the appetizers were pretty tasty, so if you want to go for some drinks and light fare, this might be an ok spot because it does have a fun atmosphere. Otherwise, there are too many good places on Moody Street to make this a priority.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Fantastic specialty cocktails and spectacular appetizers. Didn't get to the main courses because I was too involved in my newfound relationship with the Philly Steak and Cheese Springrolls. Only thing that made me sad is that I can't earn Open Table dining points at this fabulous joint, which I will return to over and over again!Special Features:
- The following 937 reviews are from the Tempo reviews archive.
- Very satisfied!MelanieVIPDined on 6/26/2014Excellent menu options and delicious food! The side items that accompanied the entrees complemented the meals well. The salmon and tuna tartare appetizer was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, highly recommendFoodie2345VIPDined on 6/24/2014Excellent food, especially the burrata jar appetizer. Highly flavorful food with creative combinations. They're re-doing the interior of the place this week to add a bigger bar and updated seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!stacybearDined on 6/23/2014The food here was fantastic! Also, the service could not have been better!Special Features:
- Amazing service and foodVegetarianMeatEatersVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food at Tempo is always amazing, as is the service, but this last visit they were especially awesome. We ordered a ton of appetizers and each an entree (party of 4) and my partner got the steak tips. She has had them before and always loves them. Only this time, she said the meat was a little too tenderized while she was eating it. So she left most of it on the plate and ate around it. the server kindly asked when she was clearing the table if everything was to our liking and it was. But she asked my partner again and she finally shared the slight over tenderizing of the meat. Low and behold, the manager drops by and tells us she took it off the bill! It was so kind of them! I'm really sad they are closing for 3 weeks.Special Features:
- Visiting during RiverfestLongtimeOTVIPVIPDined on 6/14/2014Our party of six, including two children, enjoyed a very nice early dinner. Excellent specialty cocktails, nice selection of beers on tap (need more stoudt options!) and wines by the glass. Philly rolls (and we're from Philly!) were very tasty. Pizza was a good choice for kids. Ribeye was excellent and tuna, fish stew and the shrimp & scallops were very good. Try the truffle fries - nice change of pace! We did not stay for dessert.Special Features:
- Not quite fine dining...SavvydinerVIPDined on 6/13/2014Better than average but not quite there....We think it was actually much better years ago.
- Great Ladies dinnersundayfundayDined on 6/10/2014Had a great dinner with my girlfriends here. Nice wine list and very inexpensive.Special Features:
- Thank youluvteamdinnersDined on 6/9/2014We had a group of eight for a team dinner ... great food, great service, delicious cocktails! Will be backSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2014I was very impressed with the food at Tempo. Highly recommend the grilled peach salad and fish dishes. We ordered tea and it was presented so beautifully with teapots and handcrafted tea bags. The wine was very good. The only disappointment was my grilled vegatables were too chewy and my friends potatoes were under cooked.Special Features:
- Awesome food!FoodieGaloreVIPDined on 6/2/2014Ad-hoc birthday dinner... the food and drinks were fantastic, but the AC and fans were cranked to the point we were all freezing and had to ask them to turn the fan off. First hot day of the year, so it was understandable.Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Everything was great.I thougt they had a good wine list and beer list. A bottle of water, 2 cocktails, an app and two entries was just under $100 dollars. I thought the price was right. They were allergy friendly. I liked that too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!LilahDined on 5/17/2014The food was amazing. The service was incredible. The prices are reasonable. Really worth going. I went the night before graduation and even though it was packed, the service made us feel like we were the only people in the restaurant. I would say it's one of the best restaurants in Waltham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FAVORITE REVISITEDRocNmomDined on 5/17/2014We first tried TEMPO in Oct. '08 while attending my son's 1st college family & friends weekend & were blown away by the fine food & excellent service. Finally 6 years later we returned, this time to celebrate my son's college graduation. Though the menu has changed over the years, we still experienced fine food & excellent service. We once again shared & enjoyed the raw Oysters (Blue Pointe this night) & crispy and tender fried Calamari. My Bacon Wrapped Monkfish (poor man's lobster) was superb, and indeed reminiscent of it's more affluent namesake. Other entree's enjoyed by our party included the Cashew Encrusted Haddock (a special that night), Salmon with Asian Noodles (also a special) & the Natural Pork Chop, all met with rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.