474 Moody Street
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tempobistro.com/
- Phone: (781) 891-9000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:15pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nathan Sigel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tempo is pleased to cater for any event large or small. For information please contact Nathan or Erin.
- Special Events: We are more than happy to cater to any and all special events!
A word from Tempo
Tempo offers downtown quality and atmosphere in a convenient suburban location on Waltham's "Restaurant Row". The menu features a wide variety of fresh seafood, great cuts of meat, chicken, duck, and truly has something for everyone. Tempo is excellent for a date, great for groups, and the bar is a perfect place for singles and people watching. The cuisine rivals higher-priced alternatives and the staff is welcoming and eager to please. The bar offers the largest selection around and the wine list just received a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Tempo is sure to please.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Tempo - Best Restaurants in Waltham ›
Tempo reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (23)notable wine list (23)special occasion (20)romantic (8)late-night find (7)Show More
- Not my favoritePchefDined on 2/25/2014The food was ok, not as good as ive heard. I had a sirloin that was so tough i could barely cut. The waitress hardly came to the table so that didnt help when we needed things. We dont usually like to complain because we all work/worked in the restaurant industry. I'm not too sure id dine here again unless i was up at the bar for drinks and apps.Special Features:
- We had a group of 14 for dinnerGastrophileDined on 2/24/2014We had a group of 14 for dinner at Tempo. The food was absolutely spectacular and every single one of our guests loved it! We had a team of people taking care of us, who were very friendly and helpful, even if a bit disorganized (they did not have a clue of who had ordered what); however, in spite of that (fairly minor) issue, I would strongly and enthusiastically recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food made freshpaceripleyDined on 2/24/2014Tempo is located at the end of Moody Street in Waltham. It is rather upmarket for its surroundings and at least initially looks a bit plain. The food however is very good, made from fresh local ingredients. Service is attentive and helpful. This dinner was for business and it was no problem hearing each other. Everyone enjoyed their meal and deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!KatieDined on 2/17/2014We go here all the time, specificaly for company outings. We love the food, service, and wine! It is always a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Went there for Valentines Day and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of space there was compared to other restaurants on Moody st. The steak and cheese spring roll appetizer was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was slow and uncaring.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Service was slow and uncaring. Sent back bolognese, noodles were mush. Fish special was soggy and bland. Side veggies had no seasoning. We've been here a few times and it was pretty decent, but this was bad. Not planning on returning.Special Features:
- dessert selections not thathard2pleaseDined on 2/14/2014dessert selections not that great. Menu great just cut out the saLT OVERPOWERINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was OK, nothingJandDDined on 2/14/2014Everything was OK, nothing was to rave about. We thought it was expensive, $12 for a glass of house wine.
- Always great!TAG1Dined on 2/11/2014Had another great dinner at Tempo. The boullibaise was on special and was excellent. $1 oysters cannot be beat.Special Features:
- I have been dining at TempoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/11/2014I have been dining at Tempo for years. Unfortunately, I had my first 'not so pleasant' experience because a waiter had too much to handle and did not ask for help. Will still go back to this restaurant because it's still one of my favorites! The food is always excellent and I like the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good serviceKarenDined on 2/7/2014Neither I nor any of the people with me have ever been disappointed in the food and service at Tempo. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- This restaurant can accomodateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2014This restaurant can accomodate gluten free. Very good salads and swordfish. Very nice wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sat diningdinerVIPDined on 2/1/2014Many gluten free items; food was teriffic, service excellent; very noisy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tempo a treasureFrequentDinerVIPDined on 1/31/2014Tempo is one of our favorite restaurants in Metrowest. The food is always excellent, especially the specials. They have a great selection of beers and the wine is reasonably priced. Tempo is truly a neighborhood gem in Waltham. Just be aware that it can get loud on a Friday or Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBethDined on 1/31/2014I was traveling in Waltham for business and went to Open Table for a recommendation. This place was a great find for dinner. Delicious menu. I enjoyed the chicken that was served with sweet potato and broccoli along with their mixed green salad. The salad was a generous portion and very fresh. The meal was well prepared and the food was delicious. The service was very attentive. I highly recommend and would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodjulieVIPDined on 1/28/2014This is one of our regular places because the food and service are always good. Additionally the desserts are creatively delicious. The cocktails are excellent as is the beer and wine selection.Special Features:
- Nice BrunchLisaLisaDined on 1/25/2014I have eaten dinner here several times but this was my first day trip. They held a charity brunch which was classy and well done. Service can take a while during prime dinner hours but it is always a solid choice for a nice meal out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Night OutGrappaGranDined on 1/24/2014Four of us had dinner at Tempo last night. The noise level was high. In future I would ask for a booth when making a reservation. Our waiter was excellent. Just the right level of humor and professionalism. We were never rushed by the waiter and the pace of food service was perfectly timed. Menu leans heavily towards fish but there are several meat options too. We shared two appetizers and had separate entrees. All were very good. None of us had space for dessert but the choices were very tempting. Can't wait for a return visit with someone else as the designated driver!Special Features:
- Lively TempoAngusMacBeatonDined on 1/23/2014My wife and I eat in restaurants all around the world and Tempo remains in my top 5. Tempo has great food, attentive staff, ambiance, and consistency. The bar staff each treats you as if you are their only patron. Their mixologist is engaging and knowledgeable. All the food is wonderful, but especially their seafood dishes. Nate (owner and executive chef) and Erin (Manager) travel the world deep-sea diving and chasing fish. They love fish and they know their fish. The customers run the gamut from having their 21st birthday party here to well into retirement. Leads to exciting and interesting conversation. One of the best ways to spend an evening.Special Features:
- Great spotSusanDined on 1/23/2014We always enjoy Tempo for food , service and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty treats, but service is a "C"foodie1965VIPDined on 1/18/2014Great appetizers.. Loved the tuna wiyh wasabi mash. But the hostess was less than accommodating and it was really annoying to have our table stripped bare and wped down while we were still seated. After spending nrarly two hundred on drinks, apps, main course and dessert, we should be allowed to chat in peace. But out yable was abruptly stripped of everything including a partial martini, hf a cip of tea and all waters with in thirty seconds of paying our bill. Unacceptable....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Tempo MealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/17/2014This is my fourth visit to Tempo. Always great and have not been disappointed yet! Thanks for being consistently good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Travelers loved itDigiMomDined on 1/7/2014I chose this place for my team of 8 traveling on business, and everyone loved it! It made me look good for having selected Tempo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four different excellent dishesFitzyDined on 1/4/2014First, outstanding cucumber Martini and Tempo Cosmo. We each had different excellent dishes. Beef short ribs wonderful. Swordfish chop delicious. salmon fabulous. Shrimp and scallop risotto spicy and savory. Would go again in a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit pricey for the qualityamiapickyeaterDined on 1/4/2014I went to Tempo for the first time based on reviews. I thought it was incredibly noisy and the food was, at best, ok. Nothing stood out about this place. The food, for the price, was in no way exceptional.
- Nice night outJzee22Dined on 1/3/2014attentive wait staff. Nice beer & wine list. Quiet enough so that you can have a conversation, but this was a relatively quiet Friday nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new yearcatfriendlyDined on 12/31/2013Overall experience was excellent but felt rushed at the end of the meal. There was a 2 hour seating due to being New Years Eve - part of our party was 15 minutes late - so we weren't able to enjoy dessert or coffee at the end of our meal. Food was excellent, service was good when server was available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in neighborhoodNibsDined on 12/30/2013The food - fisherman's stew, salad, flash fried calamari then the mini-desserts pumpkin cheesecake and mocha mousse - was excellent, the waiter well informed and solicitous (kept checking on how we liked our choices), the dessert size inspired (can indulge without feeling sinful when they are so small). It was somewhat noisy but with happy noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodNanceVIPDined on 12/28/2013We got there early to make sure we could get the chef's special swordfish. The martinis are wonderful, great wine list, excellent wait service and delicious food - what else could we want. Oh, the company was fun also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively atmosphere, excellent foodLSS1Dined on 12/21/2013This place had a lively atmosphere ... pretty noisy, but not crazy. But each of the four of us had a different item on the menu and we each enjoyed it very much. (And the salads were large). We had a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tempo Consistently TerrificTCapDined on 12/13/2013We always like Tempo. The specials, as well as the usual menu items, are delicious. Lots of choices, for carnivores, veggies, fish and chicken lovers, and anyone else. The food is well presented, the service excellent, and the prices high, but in keeping with everything else and fair. Portions are on the large size, as are the appetizers and sides. We do, and will continue to return to Tempo for a great dinner. My DH loved the Portuguese stew, my special flounder was tasty, our friend devoured his scallops, and the 4th in our party made a dinner of various sides and apps. I enthusiastically recommend this restaurant. We've introduced it to many of our friends, and they always agree with our assessment. It's a gem in Waltham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2013we have been to Tempo for years. We noticed a big difference at Tempo this year compaired to a couple of years ago. The menu is smaller, which is good, but the portions are also much smaller. The service on our visit the other night was terrible, we waited so long for our entrees. My dinner was fine because it was a pasta dish, my husband and son's meat was over cooked and they both ordered it medium rare.....both were well done. It would have taken too much time to re-order. We won't be back.
- Terrifc food every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/6/2013We have been here multiple times and I have never been disappointed. The food is simple but absolutely delicious. The cashew crusted cod was to die for.Special Features:
- Another Great meal at TempoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/6/2013My third visit to Tempo and always consistently good. This was the first visit for my wife. She really enjoyed her meal, one of the specials. Our server was attentive and there when we needed her! A pleasant dining experience, we'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!TAG1Dined on 12/3/2013Enjoyed the pork shank special...........ahhh. comfort food. The Petite Syrah by the glass is also very nice.Special Features:
- Another Great Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2013This was the second time I had dined at Tempo. Service was timely, didn't feel rushed, drinks were good, and as always the food was excellent. I am looking forward to my next visit to Tempo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Celebration at TempoAmy111VIPDined on 11/30/2013We had an amazing and delicious family dinner at Tempo with 8 adults in attendance. The food was spectacular. Every item was delicious and served in an innovative and aesthetically pleasing manner. The menu was so seasonally appropriate and festive. Great specials were offered as well. The service was excellent and so very warm and friendly. We have a family member with food allergies and the restaurant was kind and attentive around that. Both vegetarians and carnivores were thrilled with their meals.The atmosphere was joyous and upbeat and we enjoyed every minute of our evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant on Moody StOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2013Have been going to Tempo on a somewhat regular basis since it opened. The food NEVER disappoints. This time the mussel appetizer was the big winner (I love all the seafood dishes). And the cocktails are deliciously strong. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars across the board is because the waitress brought a refill of a beer after we said we weren't ready. My dinner date was looking at the wine list instead. And he was too polite to send the unordered beer back. She also asked for our dinner order after we already ordered. The restaurant side gets very noisy when it's full - not a deterrent, just be prepared to over hear conversations. Great restaurant overall. Food is awesome, vibrant atmosphere and consistent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has Been Better!NConnollyDined on 11/23/2013I went to Tempo for the first time about 6 years ago and enjoyed the food tremendously. It was definitely the go to place for special occasions and to bring your friends to. The drinks, wine and atmosphere is still great but the food has declined. I had better meals here. They are still good but nothing to brag about. It's a great place to go to in the summer when the restaurant front is open. Very nice atmosphere. If only the food would get back to it's standards from 6 years ago I would definitely visit more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My First DateMg6799Dined on 11/22/2013The service and food was great. We were seated by the window. Which only enhanced the best first date I was on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.