Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria
4231 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22304Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.temporestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7033707900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm – 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Serge and Wendy Albert, husband and wife chef team
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monday and Tuesday nights, 3 course menus for two with wine, $55.00 (tax and gratuity not included.) Quartely wine dinners.
- Cross Street: North Gordon
- Public Transit: Nearest Metro Station: King Street Metro is 2.2 miles away within walking distance if you are in good shape otherwise take a cab.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available with 28 parking spaces in front of the restaurant. Street parking is also available in the residential neighborhood.
A word from Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria
Nestled in the West End, Tempo Restaurant is one of Alexandria's best-kept secrets. This elegant, but unpretentious, neighborhood restaurant is where the locals dine. Tempo's menu displays a blend of northern Italian and French cuisine, featuring fresh seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)special occasion (44)fit for foodies (32)great for lunch (21)romantic (19)good for groups (16)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (9)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Hit all the checkboxesCapricorn99Dined on 10/18/2014I'd passed by Tempo many times while living in Alexandria, given it's location on Duke street. The outside is not particularly impressive - resembling a converted gas station (which it once was). But after reading positive reviews and perusing the menu on-line, we decided to give it a try. The experience, ambience, and food are all top notch. While walking in the door we were greeted promptly and properly and escorted to a lovely white-table clothed dining room with high ceilings and an array of art on the wall, nice flatware and glassware - you feel as if you're in for a good dining experience. The Italian-based menu has something for everyone, and our meal and our experience was most enjoyable. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We have been going to Tempos for years and absolutely love it....food and service are excellent.Special Features:
- Friendly staff, great dinnertablehopperDined on 10/11/2014I had dinner here on a Saturday with my husband. The place was relatively full around 6 p.m. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the food was great. I would come here again.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014We particularly enjoyed the mussels (cozze gratinate).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Finddgt59Dined on 10/3/2014My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food at this unexpected find. We will definitely come back when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CacaDined on 9/28/2014Food was good, not great. service was good. Wine reasonable.Special Features:
- NotcookingtoniteVIPDined on 9/24/2014Tempo never fails to deliver unpretentious, but excellent, food in a very gracious manner. Specials provide great variety, incorporating the freshest vegetables. Wait staff often 'forget' to offer the soup du jour. I can't blame them for trying to keep it secret, but be sure to ask. Last visit it was organic green bean soup. Terrific!Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!Enferno50Dined on 9/19/2014Go! Must try the braised beef shanks. The ambiance was very nice. I don't like restaurants that are so quiet they make you feel like everyone can hear your conversation, or too noisy where you have to shout across the table to be heard. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!DReckVIPDined on 9/17/2014We return to this restaurant time and time again because everything about it is excellent -- the food, the service and the ambiance and it is a very good value.Special Features:
- Awesome Date Night RestaurantSoldierVIPDined on 9/14/2014We really enjoyed the fool at Tempo Restaurant. The food was phenomenal and the jazz musician Jackson Caesar was fantastic!Special Features:
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/5/2014Good, well prepared fish, nicely seasoned. Service was attentive.Special Features:
- Very pleasantbevyDined on 9/5/2014Lovely decor, friendly, attentive staff and very good food. Reasonable wines, excellent desserts. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Needs some updatingFoodGirlVIPDined on 8/26/2014There was a layer of mayonnaise underneath the carpaccio which completely threw the balance of the dish off. The frito misto was excellent and generous. All the portion sizes are good value for money. There weren't enough wait staff for a summer Tuesday night and those that were there were quite slow. The insides need some serious updating and freshening. The décor is old and dated.
- Restaurant Week DinnerAHCFDined on 8/23/2014Staff are friendly and the food are good. Many selections on the restaurant week menu especially the dessert. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I am a regular and it has always been very good. The food we orered was very recommended and was needless to say excellent.Special Features:
- Always reliableMortyZVIPDined on 8/20/2014Exellent, food , service and value. I can always count on a great meal at Tempo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets Better Every Visitbrownsugar75Dined on 8/18/2014This is our sixth visit to the establishment. Each time we have been pleasantly impressed with the consistently good food and service. The restaurant is definitely a neighborhood gem for the West End of Alexandria. We will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Service lacking.FrequentDinerDined on 8/9/2014As always, the food and selection is excellent. They didn't check back to refill water, ask how the meal is, or offer another roll.Special Features:
- Reasonable but not OutstandingMichaelOTDined on 8/9/2014Apparently has a loyal local following, and the food is reasonably good. Clientele is older -- that's not a problem for us. Portions are on the modest side, overall good but not great. Nice desert cart.
- Always excellentUpTempoDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to Tempo 5-7 times/year since it opened. It is always friendly and a good value.Special Features:
- Consistent good foodgb05VIPDined on 7/29/2014We always have a hot good meal when we go to Tempo. Weekends can be very busy but weeknights are a bit more relaxed. Seems to be a lot of "regulars" there and they have a reasonable dinner for two deal on Monday & Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemTrejusticeDined on 7/26/2014A warm welcome by the owner set the mood for an excellent dining experience. The service was excellent; the food was delicious, hot, and well presented. The select wine of the evening was very good and only $25 a bottle. If I lived in the area, this would definitely be my restaurant of choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I was told about Tempo!dambDined on 7/24/2014The food was delicious. The service was quicker than I expected. We would definitely go there again. No trouble parking. A friend told me about this restaurant, otherwise I would never have known about it. I will definitely recommend it to other friends and take my out-of-town friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodDReckVIPDined on 7/22/2014The food and service at this neighborhood restaurant are consistently very good. It is very pretty inside with white table clothes and flowers on the table; it makes for a very nice dining experience. The servers have been working there for awhile and they are friendly and professional. It's a go-to-place for us.Special Features:
- Great DishesGaryVIPDined on 7/14/2014Tempo's is one of our favorite restaurants. Over the years, every food choice has been excellent. We have concentrated on the seafood selections; all were well prepared and tasty. Tempo's has a vibrant daily Specials menu, which makes it hard to make selections from the regular menu. Virtually every time we dined planning to have something from the regular menu, we were swayed by the evening's special. On occasion Tempo's has Osso Bocco. Theirs have absolutely been the best I've had in the area. Service has been consistently excellent. Dining at Tempo is highly recommended from appetizers, entrees, to desserts.Special Features:
- Thank you...DD20VIPDined on 7/13/2014Tempo Restaurant is amazing. Absolutely our go to restaurant time after time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, convenient parkingmmmkayDined on 7/11/2014I choose Tempo because of its location since I had plans to met my parents for an early dinner after an appointment. The restaurant also had consistently good reviews. We were pleasantly surprised the restaurant had a dedicated parking lot so we didn't have the hassle of finding a parking in the street or in a garage. The restaurant was quiet, the service was attentive, but unobtrusive. The food was very good and nicely presented. The prices were fairly reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/9/2014My wife and I always enjoy eating at Tempo. The white tablecloths, fresh flowers, attentive staff, and pleasant atmosphere reminds us of our favorite restaurants in Europe and New Orleans. The seafood is the best we find in the DC area, and all of the food is made with superior ingredients and perfectly prepared. The pastries are outstanding. I believe that Tempo is the best all-around restaurant in Northern Virginia.Special Features:
- Fabulous placefoxyladyVIPDined on 7/6/2014Everything was wonderful, especially the music. There's a small room nice and apart, yet still close to the main dining room where you can hear the music. I'll return.Special Features:
- Another excellent dinnerMortGVIPDined on 7/2/2014Tempo is one of our favorite "neighborhood" restaurants. Dinner tonight was excellent, as always. There were two disappointments, though. The soft shell crabs, although flavorful, were on the small side. Also, we shared a crab cake appetizer which was flavorful, but a but short on crab and high on filler. Still, the food was very good; everything else was excellent.Special Features:
- Always good food & servicejalexandriaDined on 6/28/2014We have been going to Tempo for years. The food and service are always good - the pastas and veal in particular. Tempo is reliable and never disappoints. Whenever we are out with friends and want to be close to home, Tempo is first choice.Special Features:
- My FavoriteWEB3Dined on 6/27/2014I have been coming here since the early ninetys and I believe this my all around favorite of all times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 343 reviews are from the Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria reviews archive.
- Forgot how good this place is!MBThompDined on 6/23/2014My 89 year old friend wanted to go here for lunch (I'm 49). Her caregiver and my 16 year old daughter joined us. We had a great lunch. Food and service was fantastic (as always). I had the scallops and can't wait to go back and have them again on a date night with my husband.Special Features:
- OrchidVIPDined on 6/19/2014This is a great place. Had the beef and it was excellent. Usually have fish which has always been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Qualitycmy515Dined on 6/15/2014The restaurant is not what it use to be.....My understanding is that the ownership got bought out about three to four years ago.
- Great place, wonderful serviceGeorgeDined on 6/15/2014Tempo is a super restaurant and we have been dining at Tempo for many years. The food is great, the service is wonderful, and the prices are competitive and consistent with the quality. Lunch is the best value because of the salad or soup which comes with entree and the entree comes with delightful vegetables. Only two downsides, the wine and bar products are expensive for no obvious reason other than profit, and Sunday meals have fruit rather than the vegetables served with entrees during the week.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodBellaDined on 6/9/2014This was our 4th visit to Tempo and each time we are reassured by the quality of the food, wine, ambience & service. But consistency isn't boring here. The chef regularly updates menu choices and presents novel ways to prepare old favorites. Tempo is a great value all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Our first experience at Tempo was on Mother's Day!!! We were blown away by the food, service and ambience. In subsequent visits, there is no change in any of Tempo's characteristics!!! That makes it a favorite to my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good ole restaurantlexingtonDined on 6/6/2014Never went here before but they treated us as if we were on the A-list. Nondescript location, light-years away from anything trendy, but still worth the taxi ride (a hundred-fold). Old-time waiters who actually care if you are happy, and a menu -- not daring -- that has allowed them to achieve something close to excellence. Hooray for Tempo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressiveMortyZVIPDined on 6/5/2014We had an area manager visit our Mercedes-Benz of Alexandria dealership and we took him and three executives of our dealership to lunch at Tempo. We knew he would be impressed having eaten there many times. There was a great selection of fish dishes including oysters and fin & scale varieties. The preparations were French and Italian. The wait staff was very professional. I tried to pick up the check, but our guest insisted we flip a coin and he won the honor of doing so. Highly recomend.Special Features: