Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria
4231 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22304Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.temporestaurant.com/
- Phone: (703) 370-7900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm – 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Serge and Wendy Albert, husband and wife chef team
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monday and Tuesday nights, 3 course menus for two with wine, $55.00 (tax and gratuity not included.) Quartely wine dinners.
- Cross Street: North Gordon
- Public Transit: Nearest Metro Station: King Street Metro is 2.2 miles away within walking distance if you are in good shape otherwise take a cab.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available with 28 parking spaces in front of the restaurant. Street parking is also available in the residential neighborhood.
A word from Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria
Nestled in the West End, Tempo Restaurant is one of Alexandria's best-kept secrets. This elegant, but unpretentious, neighborhood restaurant is where the locals dine. Tempo's menu displays a blend of northern Italian and French cuisine, featuring fresh seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)special occasion (43)fit for foodies (36)great for lunch (23)romantic (21)notable wine list (17)good for groups (16)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Our All Time FavoriteTempoDined on 11/22/2014We have been going to Tempo since we were first married. Just introducing it to our son and his girlfriend for a treat dinner out. The BEST food around. And the kind of waiters who have been there for years. Love it. Love it. Don't let the exterior (old garage era) kid you. This is a gem! Also recommend Sunday brunch for music and food. Coat not required, but might make you feel more into dinner setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChetvDined on 11/22/2014Great food, good service, would recommend to a friendI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great staff!!JoyfulgalDined on 11/22/2014They really bend over backwards to be sure you are happy with everything. If you are not, it's your own fault!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're So Lucky to Have Tempo in the NeighborhoodSkylineScottVIPDined on 11/18/2014Tempo is our favorite local restaurant. We always have a good experience here, in every way. We're greeted warmly and seated promptly. The staff allows us to take our meal at our own pace -- we never feel rushed. The bartender pours generously. We like everything on the menu. The atmosphere is elegant but relaxed. This was a random Tuesday evening dinner after a particularly tough day in the office. We wanted to unwind with a few cocktails before our meal. No problem. We enjoyed the Three Fried Cheeses appetizer, a favorite of ours. There were seven variations of veal scallopini across the three menus that night -- regular menu, daily specials menu, and the Mondays-and-Tuesdays-only prix fixé menu. We like to ask the servers to just surprise us with one of the veal choices, and they never disappoint. We also had fun with all the variety on the dessert tray, presented after our delicious meal. Everything from healthy fresh berries to decadent ... well, lots of decadent choices! You could pick one blindfolded and not go wrong. Going to Tempo is a treat for us, and we love introducing friends to Tempo. Friendly staff, delicious food, and a good value. We always feel like regulars, even though we only get to go every other month or so. We feel lucky to have Tempo so close to us in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria, VACandyCDined on 11/16/2014Great restaurant - good food & service. But if someone didn't recommend it to you, you might not stop because it's on a busy road surrounded by housing. I don't know how late it is open but could be a great place for a late night find. Very nice menu for both French or Italian entrees. I had the lamb chops - they were wonderful with mashed potatoes (not a lot) & a variety of veggies. I will visit this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jamesVIPDined on 11/9/2014Best Salad in town; Oysters delightful; all good news except tonic a little flatSpecial Features:
- awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/20142nd time here and it was perfect again. Had the scallops. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect choicegsportDined on 11/5/2014We were having dinner with some dear friends we had not seen in a while, so we chose Tempo for its food and accessibility. Being a weekday night, the restaurant was not crowded, which made for easy conversation.The menu was very extensive, with many wonderful specials listed. As always, the food was excellently prepared. Service was attentive, yet not overbearing. The dessert tray had many delicious choices. We all agreed this was a perfect choice for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/5/2014Always a delightful selection of fish dishes -- the flounder was especially well prepared and the potato-leek soup was delicious. Their preparation of the side vegetables always adds so much flavor to the meal. The service is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!DReckVIPDined on 11/3/2014As always, we had very good service and excellent food at Tempo. We were there on a Monday night and took advantage of the "special" and were very pleased with the meal. It's our "go to" neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- gaijinDined on 11/2/2014The Tempo Restaurant met our every expectation. Our friends who had not been there before loved the restaurant and the food. It is a GREAT restaurant and the food and service were first class. We will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- Never disappointsexit14Dined on 10/31/2014A nice neighborhood experience. The specials are worth trying. You must have their home made desserts with coffee. Hard to choose from their ample dessert traySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red52VIPDined on 10/21/2014We went with friends for the early week special. The portobello mushroom appetizer was very small but delicious. The veal and osso bucco main dishes were very good. The wine that came with dinner was nothing to write home about but it was drinkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit all the checkboxesCapricorn99Dined on 10/18/2014I'd passed by Tempo many times while living in Alexandria, given it's location on Duke street. The outside is not particularly impressive - resembling a converted gas station (which it once was). But after reading positive reviews and perusing the menu on-line, we decided to give it a try. The experience, ambience, and food are all top notch. While walking in the door we were greeted promptly and properly and escorted to a lovely white-table clothed dining room with high ceilings and an array of art on the wall, nice flatware and glassware - you feel as if you're in for a good dining experience. The Italian-based menu has something for everyone, and our meal and our experience was most enjoyable. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We have been going to Tempos for years and absolutely love it....food and service are excellent.Special Features:
- Friendly staff, great dinnertablehopperDined on 10/11/2014I had dinner here on a Saturday with my husband. The place was relatively full around 6 p.m. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the food was great. I would come here again.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014We particularly enjoyed the mussels (cozze gratinate).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Finddgt59Dined on 10/3/2014My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food at this unexpected find. We will definitely come back when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CacaDined on 9/28/2014Food was good, not great. service was good. Wine reasonable.Special Features:
- NotcookingtoniteVIPDined on 9/24/2014Tempo never fails to deliver unpretentious, but excellent, food in a very gracious manner. Specials provide great variety, incorporating the freshest vegetables. Wait staff often 'forget' to offer the soup du jour. I can't blame them for trying to keep it secret, but be sure to ask. Last visit it was organic green bean soup. Terrific!Special Features:
- Hidden Gemluv2dineVIPDined on 9/23/2014It doesn't look like much from the outside but this restaurant was great. My friend and I were absolutely the youngest ones there but we had a blast. Tables were a little tight so we had to "same side it." Food was tasty. Unfortunately, most of their pasta isn't freshly made which they should absolutely do. We ordered the one handmade that they had (not on the menu, had to ask). There is great modern art on the wall that's for sale (too pricey for me) but fun to look at. We shut the restaurant down and had a fantastic time with the friendly waitstaff. There was a fixed price available which we didn't get because there was so much else that sounded delicious. Do something to market to the younger crowd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem!Enferno50Dined on 9/19/2014Go! Must try the braised beef shanks. The ambiance was very nice. I don't like restaurants that are so quiet they make you feel like everyone can hear your conversation, or too noisy where you have to shout across the table to be heard. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!DReckVIPDined on 9/17/2014We return to this restaurant time and time again because everything about it is excellent -- the food, the service and the ambiance and it is a very good value.Special Features:
- Awesome Date Night RestaurantSoldierVIPDined on 9/14/2014We really enjoyed the fool at Tempo Restaurant. The food was phenomenal and the jazz musician Jackson Caesar was fantastic!Special Features:
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/5/2014Good, well prepared fish, nicely seasoned. Service was attentive.Special Features:
- Very pleasantbevyDined on 9/5/2014Lovely decor, friendly, attentive staff and very good food. Reasonable wines, excellent desserts. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Needs some updatingFoodGirlVIPDined on 8/26/2014There was a layer of mayonnaise underneath the carpaccio which completely threw the balance of the dish off. The frito misto was excellent and generous. All the portion sizes are good value for money. There weren't enough wait staff for a summer Tuesday night and those that were there were quite slow. The insides need some serious updating and freshening. The décor is old and dated.
- Restaurant Week DinnerAHCFDined on 8/23/2014Staff are friendly and the food are good. Many selections on the restaurant week menu especially the dessert. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I am a regular and it has always been very good. The food we orered was very recommended and was needless to say excellent.Special Features:
- Always reliableMortyZVIPDined on 8/20/2014Exellent, food , service and value. I can always count on a great meal at Tempo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets Better Every Visitbrownsugar75Dined on 8/18/2014This is our sixth visit to the establishment. Each time we have been pleasantly impressed with the consistently good food and service. The restaurant is definitely a neighborhood gem for the West End of Alexandria. We will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Service lacking.FrequentDinerDined on 8/9/2014As always, the food and selection is excellent. They didn't check back to refill water, ask how the meal is, or offer another roll.Special Features:
- Reasonable but not OutstandingMichaelOTDined on 8/9/2014Apparently has a loyal local following, and the food is reasonably good. Clientele is older -- that's not a problem for us. Portions are on the modest side, overall good but not great. Nice desert cart.
- Always excellentUpTempoDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to Tempo 5-7 times/year since it opened. It is always friendly and a good value.Special Features:
- The following 355 reviews are from the Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria reviews archive.
- Consistent good foodgb05VIPDined on 7/29/2014We always have a hot good meal when we go to Tempo. Weekends can be very busy but weeknights are a bit more relaxed. Seems to be a lot of "regulars" there and they have a reasonable dinner for two deal on Monday & Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemTrejusticeDined on 7/26/2014A warm welcome by the owner set the mood for an excellent dining experience. The service was excellent; the food was delicious, hot, and well presented. The select wine of the evening was very good and only $25 a bottle. If I lived in the area, this would definitely be my restaurant of choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I was told about Tempo!dambDined on 7/24/2014The food was delicious. The service was quicker than I expected. We would definitely go there again. No trouble parking. A friend told me about this restaurant, otherwise I would never have known about it. I will definitely recommend it to other friends and take my out-of-town friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodDReckVIPDined on 7/22/2014The food and service at this neighborhood restaurant are consistently very good. It is very pretty inside with white table clothes and flowers on the table; it makes for a very nice dining experience. The servers have been working there for awhile and they are friendly and professional. It's a go-to-place for us.Special Features:
- Great DishesGaryVIPDined on 7/14/2014Tempo's is one of our favorite restaurants. Over the years, every food choice has been excellent. We have concentrated on the seafood selections; all were well prepared and tasty. Tempo's has a vibrant daily Specials menu, which makes it hard to make selections from the regular menu. Virtually every time we dined planning to have something from the regular menu, we were swayed by the evening's special. On occasion Tempo's has Osso Bocco. Theirs have absolutely been the best I've had in the area. Service has been consistently excellent. Dining at Tempo is highly recommended from appetizers, entrees, to desserts.Special Features:
- Thank you...DD20VIPDined on 7/13/2014Tempo Restaurant is amazing. Absolutely our go to restaurant time after time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.