Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria
4231 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22304Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.temporestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7033707900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm – 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Serge and Wendy Albert, husband and wife chef team
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monday and Tuesday nights, 3 course menus for two with wine, $55.00 (tax and gratuity not included.) Quartely wine dinners.
- Cross Street: North Gordon
- Public Transit: Nearest Metro Station: King Street Metro is 2.2 miles away within walking distance if you are in good shape otherwise take a cab.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available with 28 parking spaces in front of the restaurant. Street parking is also available in the residential neighborhood.
A word from Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria
Nestled in the West End, Tempo Restaurant is one of Alexandria's best-kept secrets. This elegant, but unpretentious, neighborhood restaurant is where the locals dine. Tempo's menu displays a blend of northern Italian and French cuisine, featuring fresh seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)special occasion (45)fit for foodies (33)great for lunch (21)romantic (16)good for groups (14)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I am a regular and it has always been very good. The food we orered was very recommended and was needless to say excellent.Special Features:
- Always reliableMortyZVIPDined on 8/20/2014Exellent, food , service and value. I can always count on a great meal at Tempo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets Better Every Visitbrownsugar75Dined on 8/18/2014This is our sixth visit to the establishment. Each time we have been pleasantly impressed with the consistently good food and service. The restaurant is definitely a neighborhood gem for the West End of Alexandria. We will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Service lacking.FrequentDinerDined on 8/9/2014As always, the food and selection is excellent. They didn't check back to refill water, ask how the meal is, or offer another roll.Special Features:
- Reasonable but not OutstandingMichaelOTDined on 8/9/2014Apparently has a loyal local following, and the food is reasonably good. Clientele is older -- that's not a problem for us. Portions are on the modest side, overall good but not great. Nice desert cart.
- Always excellentUpTempoDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to Tempo 5-7 times/year since it opened. It is always friendly and a good value.Special Features:
- Consistent good foodgb05VIPDined on 7/29/2014We always have a hot good meal when we go to Tempo. Weekends can be very busy but weeknights are a bit more relaxed. Seems to be a lot of "regulars" there and they have a reasonable dinner for two deal on Monday & Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemTrejusticeDined on 7/26/2014A warm welcome by the owner set the mood for an excellent dining experience. The service was excellent; the food was delicious, hot, and well presented. The select wine of the evening was very good and only $25 a bottle. If I lived in the area, this would definitely be my restaurant of choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I was told about Tempo!dambDined on 7/24/2014The food was delicious. The service was quicker than I expected. We would definitely go there again. No trouble parking. A friend told me about this restaurant, otherwise I would never have known about it. I will definitely recommend it to other friends and take my out-of-town friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/22/2014The food and service at this neighborhood restaurant are consistently very good. It is very pretty inside with white table clothes and flowers on the table; it makes for a very nice dining experience. The servers have been working there for awhile and they are friendly and professional. It's a go-to-place for us.Special Features:
- Great DishesGaryVIPDined on 7/14/2014Tempo's is one of our favorite restaurants. Over the years, every food choice has been excellent. We have concentrated on the seafood selections; all were well prepared and tasty. Tempo's has a vibrant daily Specials menu, which makes it hard to make selections from the regular menu. Virtually every time we dined planning to have something from the regular menu, we were swayed by the evening's special. On occasion Tempo's has Osso Bocco. Theirs have absolutely been the best I've had in the area. Service has been consistently excellent. Dining at Tempo is highly recommended from appetizers, entrees, to desserts.Special Features:
- Thank you...DD20Dined on 7/13/2014Tempo Restaurant is amazing. Absolutely our go to restaurant time after time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, convenient parkingmmmkayDined on 7/11/2014I choose Tempo because of its location since I had plans to met my parents for an early dinner after an appointment. The restaurant also had consistently good reviews. We were pleasantly surprised the restaurant had a dedicated parking lot so we didn't have the hassle of finding a parking in the street or in a garage. The restaurant was quiet, the service was attentive, but unobtrusive. The food was very good and nicely presented. The prices were fairly reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/9/2014My wife and I always enjoy eating at Tempo. The white tablecloths, fresh flowers, attentive staff, and pleasant atmosphere reminds us of our favorite restaurants in Europe and New Orleans. The seafood is the best we find in the DC area, and all of the food is made with superior ingredients and perfectly prepared. The pastries are outstanding. I believe that Tempo is the best all-around restaurant in Northern Virginia.Special Features:
- Another excellent dinnerMortGVIPDined on 7/2/2014Tempo is one of our favorite "neighborhood" restaurants. Dinner tonight was excellent, as always. There were two disappointments, though. The soft shell crabs, although flavorful, were on the small side. Also, we shared a crab cake appetizer which was flavorful, but a but short on crab and high on filler. Still, the food was very good; everything else was excellent.Special Features:
- Always good food & servicejalexandriaDined on 6/28/2014We have been going to Tempo for years. The food and service are always good - the pastas and veal in particular. Tempo is reliable and never disappoints. Whenever we are out with friends and want to be close to home, Tempo is first choice.Special Features:
- My FavoriteWEB3Dined on 6/27/2014I have been coming here since the early ninetys and I believe this my all around favorite of all times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot how good this place is!MBThompDined on 6/23/2014My 89 year old friend wanted to go here for lunch (I'm 49). Her caregiver and my 16 year old daughter joined us. We had a great lunch. Food and service was fantastic (as always). I had the scallops and can't wait to go back and have them again on a date night with my husband.Special Features:
- OrchidVIPDined on 6/19/2014This is a great place. Had the beef and it was excellent. Usually have fish which has always been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Qualitycmy515Dined on 6/15/2014The restaurant is not what it use to be.....My understanding is that the ownership got bought out about three to four years ago.
- Great place, wonderful serviceGeorgeDined on 6/15/2014Tempo is a super restaurant and we have been dining at Tempo for many years. The food is great, the service is wonderful, and the prices are competitive and consistent with the quality. Lunch is the best value because of the salad or soup which comes with entree and the entree comes with delightful vegetables. Only two downsides, the wine and bar products are expensive for no obvious reason other than profit, and Sunday meals have fruit rather than the vegetables served with entrees during the week.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodBellaDined on 6/9/2014This was our 4th visit to Tempo and each time we are reassured by the quality of the food, wine, ambience & service. But consistency isn't boring here. The chef regularly updates menu choices and presents novel ways to prepare old favorites. Tempo is a great value all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Our first experience at Tempo was on Mother's Day!!! We were blown away by the food, service and ambience. In subsequent visits, there is no change in any of Tempo's characteristics!!! That makes it a favorite to my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good ole restaurantlexingtonDined on 6/6/2014Never went here before but they treated us as if we were on the A-list. Nondescript location, light-years away from anything trendy, but still worth the taxi ride (a hundred-fold). Old-time waiters who actually care if you are happy, and a menu -- not daring -- that has allowed them to achieve something close to excellence. Hooray for Tempo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressiveMortyZVIPDined on 6/5/2014We had an area manager visit our Mercedes-Benz of Alexandria dealership and we took him and three executives of our dealership to lunch at Tempo. We knew he would be impressed having eaten there many times. There was a great selection of fish dishes including oysters and fin & scale varieties. The preparations were French and Italian. The wait staff was very professional. I tried to pick up the check, but our guest insisted we flip a coin and he won the honor of doing so. Highly recomend.Special Features:
- ClassicDowntownerDined on 5/31/2014I've been going to Tempo for over 20 years, at least three or four times per year. I have never had a bad meal and, more often than not, I have a spectacular meal. The softshell crabs can't be beat. Their specials are outstanding. When they have sweetbreads on the menu, get them.Special Features:
- Good for Out of Town GuestsLuvthehotpotDined on 5/31/2014We took some family members to Tempo. Service was very good/attentive, but not intrusive. Found some interesting wine which proved to be a pleasant surprise. Menu was very varied and inviting, and the entrees were properly prepared and presented. Food was cooked properly and was delicious. Could not have asked for better dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hello old friend!shoemavenVIPDined on 5/30/2014I had not been to Tempo for many years until lunch Friday. Don't know why, just off my beaten path. A friend recently reminded me of it and am I glad. The decor is beautiful, the food delicious, and the service efficient and friendly. Our waiter had been there since nearly the beginning of the restaurant. A delightful man! Tempo will be added to our repertoire of relatively limited West End restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!LuvthehotpotDined on 5/25/2014Our family of six adults got excellent lamb, salmon and chef's salad as entrees. Breads were fresh and crusty. Wine selection was very good, with Californian, French and Italian varieties that appealed to various tastes. Service was very good. Thoroughly enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tempo on Memorial Day weekendEleanorDined on 5/25/2014This was a pleasant surprise. Located outside of Old Town Alexandria on a main and busy road, the owners do a commendable job hosting diners and making their experience pleasant and worthwhile. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Dinner choices were excellent- we both had seafood offerings. Portions were ample and well prepared and served hot. Good wine list. Great choice! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrchidVIPDined on 5/18/2014You need to check this place out. Always get the fish, they make it in a superb manner, always tender. Mussels in marinara is great.Special Features:
- Goldilocks: Tempo Is "Just Right!"SkylineScottVIPDined on 5/13/2014My spouse and I had dinner at Tempo on a Tuesday evening to celebrate a personal accomplishment. It was perfect. The next day, I realized there is one thing about Tempo that is different from all the other restaurants where we eat frequently. We always find everything we order delicious. We're never disappointed by anything. We've never encountered a serious problem there. We always leave feeling perfectly satisfied -- not still a little bit hungry but not full to bloated and over-gorging. Yet there's never a morsel left on any plate and we're not lugging doggy-bags full of food home with us. In other words -- as Goldilocks would say -- Tempo is "just right." I can't say it any better than that. We can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 5/12/2014This is a wonderful restaurant with excellent food, service and ambience. We have always been pleased with our experience and are regulars at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I lucked up on this gem, on Mother's Day!!! It WOWED my mother-in-law and myself!!! I definitely will dine again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Brunch at TempoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014I took my mother to Tempo for a Mother's Day brunch and was sadly disappointed on a number of levels. First, the menu was very limited in terms of brunch items and there was no flexibility in substitutions when we asked. Also, for an Italian restaurant it was disappointed that they served boxed mashed potatoes with the entrees instead of pasta or baby roast potatoes. Also, the dining room was extremely hot either because the air conditioning was not working or because they packed tables in so close together that you could barely walk between tables. My take away is that while Tempo has a nice menu and is a great off the beaten path restaurant it does not do special occasions well.Special Features:
- turbomomDined on 5/11/2014We ate on the outdoor patio for a Mother's Day brunch. The weather was gorgeous, the food and service very nice….we had a delightful time!Special Features:
- Yes and no...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014Recently went to Tempo for lunch, and the food and service was great. It was not crowded We then went back for dinner, and it WAS crowded. My husband's lobster was chewy and tough. My fish was delicious...so the food was uneven. The service that evening was terrible. The server never once asked how our dinner was. We had trouble getting the plates removed. And it took time to get the check. The two experiences were quite different. I will try different restaurants before going back to Tempo again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mon.-Tues dinner special is fab !2AlexandriaDined on 5/6/2014The 4 of us enjoyed the 55 dollar dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine. There were several entree choices which we enjoyed. The choice of a dessert off the tray of selections is a winner. They do veal very well.Special Features:
- The following 322 reviews are from the Tempo Restaurant - Alexandria reviews archive.
- FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014I love this place. It is always good and reliable, attentive service.Special Features:
- Dinner for 6jamesVIPDined on 4/23/2014Ideal evening for a gathering of friends; talking is easy; service was outstanding; food was superbly prepared and presented. Going to Tempo was a good decision.Special Features: