117 5th Street SE
Charlottesville, VA 22902Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tempocville.com/
- Phone: 4342440217
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 1:00am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brice Cunningham
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Tempo offers a private dining room suitable for luncheons and dinners, meetings, parties, live music in a chic and stylish room with an optional private entrance. The room accommodates 20-35 people.
- Private Party Contact: Brice 4342440917
A word from Tempo
Just steps from the lively downtown mall, Tempo Restaurant and Bar serves world fusion cuisine with a particular French influence in a spirited decor. Large garage-style doors open to a vibrant dining room, the perfect place for a pre-dinner meal, a romantic dinner out, or cocktails at the bustling yet intimate bar and adjoining lounge. Open daily for dinner TEMPO is the ultimate in "new American bistro fare” ...the perfect spot for innovative and creative, but delicious and world-inspired dishes! In an atmosphere of relaxed elegance that invites fun, rapport, and conversation...savor dishes such as shrimp 'n grits, the most succulent pork chop you'd ever find, vegetable tempura, perfectly grilled steak, duck breast with potato Dauphinois, sea bass with white beans and escarole ragu, or house-made ricotta. A place to truly create memories!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tempo reviews from OpenTable diners
- Stressful serviceDcdinerVIPDined on 9/28/2013A potentially delightful restaurant. Dined on a Saturday night. They could not handle the crowd and our waiter, apparently a substitute for that evening, was simply not up to the task. We waited 30 minutes for appetizers. One side order with the entree never came. And an order of cappuccino came as some strange concoction but not cappuccino. When asked what it was he proclaimed "I lost the foam somewhere between the kitchen and the table." Not a good experience.
- out of way location, veryThatldoDined on 9/21/2013out of way location, very quiet on a Friday night, only 1 other table dining.Special Features:
- The appetizers were great.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2013The appetizers were great. I enjoyed my husband's entree, even though the pork was a little tough. He did not like the pork at all, and he is a pork fanatic. I traded him my entree, the cornish hen. He was not thrilled with that either. They were out of the wine we had chosen, a Priorat; the chef suggested a substitution, another spanish wine, and it was excellent.Special Features:
- A wonderful eveningChrisVIPDined on 8/30/2013Excellent dinner! Creative cuisine from a French chef, that is quite unique and that you will certainly not find anywhere in Charlottesville. Perfectly cooked. If you like adventure, try veal kidneys. Desserts are also excellent. From the start (cocktail) to the end, everything was delicious, perfectly thought and prepared. Altogether, a real treat. The wine list is also real nice, even the wines by the glass. This restaurant needs to be better known. A plus for those of you that would like discoveries, innovation, but also the quality of the products. Bravo! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were there for drinks (8mytreatDined on 8/16/2013We were there for drinks (8 of us) and our bartender, Josuha was incredible. Very friendly and full of life. He made the experience wonderful.Special Features:
- A very nice restaurant. DisappointeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2013A very nice restaurant. Disappointed it is no longer open for lunch.Special Features:
- Completely Off NightOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/13/2013We've gone to Tempo for several years, and it's been great. Saturday night, the food was terrible, the bar dropped the ball on everything. The server, to her credit, and being apparently the only server on staff that night, did everything she could, but she couldn't make up for the sous vide pork, which tasted like they'd boiled a big pan of it the night before, the state profiteroles. among other items.
- disappointedFoodFanDined on 7/11/2013I visited this venue during restaurant week, attracted by an article on the chef. The appetizer of beet salad was creative and tasty. It was the only good course in the meal. The entree was a very poor cut of beef, and the Bordelaise sauce uninspired. The dessert of berries and zabaglione was unsuccessful as the fruit was very sour and the zabaglione didn't mitigate that in any way. The server was cheerful and the decor was interesting but the food definitely needs work.
- Bad for R-rant weekEatincvilleDined on 7/10/2013We have eaten here before with very good food and service. This experience was a disaster- an hour from sitting down to appetizers. Entrees cold and could have come from the kitchen of a Country Buffet. Desserts completely inedible. Not even sure What one was supposed to be. Doubt Tempo will be open much longer-- too much competition in this town
- Sloooooooow foodhobbitDined on 7/8/2013The food was very good, but the service was unbelievably slow. Hopefully this was a one-time staffing glitch. There was only one waitperson in the whole place, who was also tending bar, and a few times it appeared the chef was bringing out plates. Our meal took over two hours for three courses.Special Features:
- Good food, Good Ambiance and ServiccsDinerDined on 4/27/2013Good food, Good Atmosphere, Good service, Could offer more selection of entrees. A bit pricey. Recommended for a special occasion or romantic dinner. Surprise that this restaurant was not crowded on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for drinks and appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2013I would recommend Tempo for drinks and appetizers but nothing more. The ambience is great, the food is average (yet pricey) and the service is poor (slow, unattemtive, and lacking in quality of service).Special Features:
- Service was lackluster, neverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/18/2013Service was lackluster, never acknowledged the birthdays we were celebrating, you'd think a restaurant would love guests on Monday night. Lobster main course is way overpriced for the portion size, in addition to being overcooked and can't tell it ever touched butter.
- We were the only people inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013We were the only people in the restaurant which says a lot since it was rather large. Interesting decor to say the least. I made the reservation sight unseen. We were in town for an evening wedding. Otherwise we would have taken the time to look for another place to eat. It wasn't terrible. Just not what we were looking for and apparently many others were looking elsewhere.
- My wife ordered the SherwoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2013My wife ordered the Sherwood Farm Angus Cut and really enjoyed it. I, on the other hand, ordered the lamb shank (apparently a newer item on the menu from what I heard) and was rather disappointed. Go with the steak instead. (I might go again, but I'd order something else.) The ambiance is quirky and unusual and kind of fun.
- the decor and ambience wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013the decor and ambience were as good as charlottesville gets. the service was very friendly and helpful. this was our first time there and most restaurants have their strong and weak areas. our apps were better than our entrees, but the chicken entree was excellent; the lobster not so much. we will definitely go again.Special Features:
- The food was terrible. IegoodDined on 1/8/2013The food was terrible. I had steak au poivre. Wife had lamb shank. Steak was of some indeterminate cut of beef - full of grizzle - Pepper sauce was a flavorless, generic red/brown gravy type of thing. Lamb shank was undercooked.
- Food, atmosphere was great.wine4foodieDined on 12/24/2012Food, atmosphere was great. Service and waiting over 90 minutes for entree was a problem but atypical. It was christmas eve and they were very understaffed.Special Features:
- The worst food- lamb too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012The worst food- lamb too salty fish bland I was extremely disappointed.
- Pros: ~food was preparedDiverseCuisineLoverVIPDined on 12/1/2012Pros: ~food was prepared quickly and was tasty ~very unique decorating aesthetic Cons: ~pretty close to other diners ~not very extensive wine/beer listSpecial Features:
- Tempo was GREAT. The shrimpCDDFVIPDined on 11/30/2012Tempo was GREAT. The shrimp appetizer is perfection - perfectly crunchy/spicy.Special Features:
- Great new restaurant on theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/3/2012Great new restaurant on the downtown Mall in Charlottesville. The cod and specialty cocktails were delicious (particularly the Strawberry Basil). There is also a great bar for having drinks with friends. On the night that I attended, they were down a few servers. Besides the slow service, it was an excellent find. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Service was terrible;theyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/20/2012Service was terrible;they forgot one of our appetizers and couldn't figure out who ordered what entree. The atmosphere was ok-loud noise but not ambient.
- Great food. Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2012Great food. Excellent dinner special during week. Nice guitar playing musician on Wed. Good wine list.Special Features:
- Super evening! Great service,BillDined on 8/18/2012Super evening! Great service, great food (albeit small portion of scallops), intriguing eclectic decor. Love the open garage doors for summer dining.Special Features:
- very cool ambiance. GreatdinnergalDined on 6/29/2012very cool ambiance. Great food.. a bit pricey, but fun. Very New-York-ish!Special Features:
- Good atmoshphere and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/4/2012Good atmoshphere and great food. Our waitress, Sasha, was knowlegeable and efficient.Special Features:
- Awful awful service!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2012I was excite to try Tempo since the reviews were good and we wanted somewhere downtown to go on a Friday for a birthday celebration. Unfortunately, we received some of the slowest, worst service I have ever had. The drink service was slow to start and it only got worse from there. After our entrees were ordered, we waited 2 hours to receive them! It was unbelievable, and at no time did anyone come over to offer an explanation or apology. We had an 8 o'clock reservation and were not served entrees until 10:45. We admittedly had a large group, however we had reservations and I heard multiple other tables complaining about their service. ( when we were seated I heard the table next to us say, "either bring us desert menus or we are leaving".
- updated French dishes withjakeDined on 4/20/2012updated French dishes with a twist in an eclectic, engergitic atmosphere. Wonderful scallops and mushroom dishes.Special Features:
- First time to Tempo - veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012First time to Tempo - very hip restaurant on the corner. While no outdoor seating, the wide windows are open in warm weather. I was offered tastings of wines I was deciding between to help me choose. We shared the salmon and the scallops - both were outstanding. I would definitely recommend Tempo to a group of friends or a couple looking for a great night out with outstanding food!Special Features:
- Very slow kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2012The food was good okay. Love the decor and the hip atmosphere. Full of young professionals enjoying drinks and loud conversations. The only complain is the food takes forever to come out. We waited for almost 30 mins for the appetizers and another 30 for the main course. We arrived for our dinner at 7:30p but wasn't able to finish until 9:30.Special Features:
- excellent food, spicy shrimpOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2012excellent food, spicy shrimp succulent, scallops done to perfection. the creme brulee was fabulous. Previous complaints about the owner hovering are unfounded. Must be a generational thing.Special Features:
- A gem!EdnamDined on 3/17/2012This was our third time in Tempo, and we love it! Highly recommend it. The food is excellent and the service is great!Special Features:
- The chef's father remembersCharlottesville29Dined on 2/22/2012The chef's father remembers all his guests, and creates the atmosphere, along with the wonderful over-sized black-and-white banquettes. He has a French restaurateur style and British accent. The beet salad, the trout, and the bread pudding are favorites. The lighting and noise level were just right for conversation. It seems like it's the exciting new-ish place to go for professionals in Charlottesville, who have a lot of great dining choices.Special Features:
- Top cuisine, good priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2012Very imaginative cuisine. Excellent taste. Excellent wine selections. The duck and the ribs are second to none. We shared the appetizer, a very creative foie gras. Our only complaint is that it should have been served at room temperature. The ambient is modern and tasteful. The prices are reasonable. Highly recommended - one of the best dining experiences in Charlottesville.Special Features:
- The food at Tempo is wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/10/2012The food at Tempo is wonderful. It is simple, and very well-done. The shrimp tempura was a favorite of the table.Special Features:
- I was pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/17/2012I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent food and service. First time to this restaurant and we will definitely come back.Special Features:
- One of the best meals we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/14/2012One of the best meals we've had in Charlottesville! We had a house-made ricotta appetizer that was amazing. I had the vegetarian entree, which was a papardelle pasta with a delicious cream sauce that I couldn't get enough of. My husband had the pork tenderloin served over sweet potatoes, and he could not stop raving about it. I also liked the way the wine list was organized; all wines of the same price are grouped together, so if you want to spend, say, $35, you just look under the 35 and there will be 6-8 choices.Special Features:
- GREAT C'Ville restaurantCDDFVIPDined on 1/6/2012Tempo is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is the absolute best in Charlottesville. I always get the beet salad - it is one of the best dishes I have ever had anywhere - the flavors just combine so perfectly. Everything we have had there has been outstanding - pasta, shrimp tempura, on and on.Special Features:
- My husband and I went on aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/23/2011My husband and I went on a Friday night. Most tables were full, but the room was still relatively quiet. Decor is a little hodgepodge but fine. Service was friendly and timely. I started with the tempura shrimp. My entree was the pappardelle (w/cremini, English peas, creme fraiche sauce, and truffle essence foam). My dessert was the lemon tart (with toasted marshmallows and blueberry sorbet). My husband had the beet salad (pickeled beets, goat cheese, pistachios, mache, wasabi pudding), the pork chop (w/a mustard potato salad, Brussels sprouts, and pork belly), and the bread pudding (with ice cream and a caramel sauce). All food was good, but the standouts were the beet salad, the pork chop, and the pasta. Will definitely be back.Special Features: