Temple Gourmet Chinese
91 Broad Street
Red Bank, NJ 07701Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Temple Gourmet Chinese
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.templegourmet.com/
- Phone: (732) 212-8858
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm,Saturday - Sunday: 2:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Asian, Chinese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View
- Catering: Call and ask for the restaurant manager to organize catering
- Special Events: Temple will book out the restaurant for special events (Christenings, Communions, Birthdays, etc.)
A word from Temple Gourmet Chinese
Temple Gourmet Chinese serves gourmet Chinese specialties in a fine dining atmosphere. Perusing the mouth-watering menu will be just the beginning of your experience. The design of the space is visually stunning and the service attitude is a welcome change to Chinese dining. Temple Restaurant is also committed to being a socially responsible business. The owner is devoted to contributing to the welfare of society especially the local community and not solely to maximizing profit. The concept is to feel good about a restaurant you would visit anyway.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Temple Gourmet Chinese - Best Restaurants in Red Bank ›
Temple Gourmet Chinese reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (28)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (13)great for lunch (10)romantic (7)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Temple DinnerPhilDined on 11/22/2014The food and service are very good. Nice choice of entrees and specials. Entrees run from $17.00 to $39.00 a bit pricey for Chinese food and at this price point being up charged $2.00 for brown rice or an additional small bowl of rice seems I bit ridiculous. Would recommend and go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemDJ58Dined on 11/15/2014We met with friends for dinner at this local hot-spot and really enjoyed ourselves. Overall, the food was excellent, both in preparation and presentation. The one exception was the Sesame Chicken dish came with only a strawberry as dish adornment, while a similar shrimp dish came surrounded by broccoli. Food is seasoned well and cooked just right, which pleased everyone on our party. Service was a little slow on main course delivery, but that was taken care of by the manager. The only drawback is the noise level during the dinner hours. Some improved acoustic panels would help buffer the noise level and make carrying on a conversation much easier. We would definitely dine here again and recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A definite "must eat at".OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Always amazing food. Great quality and very good size portions. We always come home with leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Chinese restaurant for allwifesabrucefanVIPDined on 11/12/2014We dined during restaurant week and the three course menu was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!foodfanVIPDined on 11/2/2014It was our first visit to Temple but we will be coming back! The food was delicious- portions were very large and well prepared. The service was friendly and pleasant. Although a little pricey, the quality of the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Very good Asian Fusion cuisineFramboisVIPDined on 10/26/2014Temple Gourmet Chinese is my go to place for a delicious meal, nice ambiance, and almost always top notch service. The quality of their food is superior to other Chinese restaurants in the area. Everything is fresh and beautifully presented. Favorites include their Wonton Soup, Baby Back Ribs, Cashew Pineapple Fried Rice and almost all their entrees. Their Beef, Chicken, Fish, and Tofu dishes are always good (they make their own Silken Tofu on premises). Their only misfire is their vegetarian chicken imperial. I would remove that from the menu.Special Features:
- Amazing food and great servicecmarzarellaDined on 10/25/2014I have been a frequent visitor of this place several times over with friends and alive with my wife got a date night. I always have a great time and the food is always the same, perfect. The egg rolls which I do not eat all the time are fantastic and the rice always a joy. The food is prepared fresh, and as always never rushed so that you can enjoy each meal as it comes along with enough time for chatting or just having a good time. A great place that I will always go to for my Chinese food.Special Features:
- Always GoodChrisADined on 10/18/2014As usual, The food was good, service was dependable and the dining experience was a pleasure. The only complaint this evening was that the kitchen was a little slow, but that has been known to happen on occasion when the take out order put them in the weeds. Regardless, the food is always worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VicgDined on 10/17/2014If you like Chinese, you will love Temple. Great serversSpecial Features:
- Last visitBobGDined on 10/11/2014Been here many times, the food was always good, service usually hit or miss. Last Saturday, I ordered a scallop dish off the specials menu. $22 for a dish that came out warm and only had 4 scallops. I spoke to the manager on the way out and all he said was "thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it", with a stupid smirk. Didn't even offer to make it right . Oh well, plenty of other great restaurants in Red Bank.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Emily was terrific provided great friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Did not knowken29VIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a reservation and requested outside.We had to wait for our table. We did not know that you can not reserve a table outside on open table so we waited for half hour. We had a drink at the bar Cory was very nice and opened our wine. So be prepared to wait if you want to sit outside. I ordered the shrimp and asparagus gluten free and my wife the eggplant and shrimp. Both were amazing. Our server was very good. We had a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- some dishes not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014the chicken with broccoli is great as are the green beans. The mu shu, fried rice and peking duck have the most odd taste and odour. The suck in particular is very dry, not worth $39 at all.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/23/2014Excellent service complimenting excellent food! WOW! WOW! WOW! Thank you.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Only complaint. When we arrived on time for our reservation, we were seated in a very high traffic area even though there were at least 6 other empty tables. When we requested a different table they said no but eventually offered us just one other option in a corner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner experienceRayNDined on 9/6/2014was there on Saturday on 9/6. The food as usual was very good. The food did take much longer than normal. The mgrs were apologizing for the delay to many tables around us but not ours. I am not sure if there was a problem in the kitchen but it seemed like there was something off that night.Special Features:
- Excellent!RoxannDined on 8/28/2014I always love an outdoor option when I dine. I don't know what was bêtter my dinner that evening or my left overs the next day which were plentiful. The portions were enormous and absolutely delicious. Whoever said the food is "just ok" clearly didn't order the filet mignon in black pepper sauce. To die for. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicefoodieDined on 8/23/2014We went on a Saturday night and the place was packed. Still we never had an empty water glass.....very attentive servers who gave suggestions on what to order. The food was good. It was nice that it was BYOB, but they have a liquor license pending so check before you go.Special Features:
- over all just okSum2014Dined on 8/23/2014I made reservations and and we arrived they said we had to wait. I asked to be seated outside and was told even though I had reservations you could make them for outside and that other people were waiting for outside seat even though they did not make a reservation. Had I known that I would have gone somewhere else. That is not good. When someone makes a reservation who should be seated within five minutes of your reservation and choice of whereever you want to sit. The entrees were just OK ...We ordered prawns with string beans...Will say alot of string beans but four prawns. I will, however, give it another try to see what else on the menu. Service was very good. Actually the best part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarsVIPDined on 8/23/2014I didn't really find it as a gourmet Chinese food. The temple fried rice was good, the triple temple delicacy we had tasted good but I wouldn't compare it to this real McCoy gourmet Chinese food in Manalapan. So far I haven't found anything better than this Chinese gourmet restaurant. Our waiter was rough.its either he had a bad day or just didn't want to be there. Overall experience, it was poor. I've gotten better service at mcdonalds. If you want good food, good service & a gourmet Chinese food.... go to Peking pavilion in Manalapan. I deal with the public everyday with my profession & I would be mortified if I gave this type of service to the people.Special Features:
- Average, not gourmetTFFoodiesDined on 8/16/2014Now granted, it was a Saturday night in Red Bank. Temple came highly recommended by a good friend as 'the best Chinese food he's had in a long time'. For a "gourmet" Chinese restaurant, my partner and I were underwhelmed. From the time we placed our order, it took 30 minutes for the soup to arrive. I had the Temple soup, which was tasty. My partner said the hot and sour was average. The pan-seared dumplings were also ok, not 'wow'. Entrees of sweet and sour pineapple chicken and shrimp in lobster sauce were also average at best. Wait staff was very friendly and attentive throughout, but the slow speed of the kitchen coupled with mediocre, not gourmet, food, make this a place we won't be revisiting. We far prefer Peking Pavilion in Freehold.
- Great girls nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Out for girls night with my to vegetarian sisters and every body had a great time! The food was delicious and the service was very good. I love that it's a BYOB. I will be back for lunch next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very AveragePeacockDined on 8/2/2014Saw NJ Monthly classify TGC as "best in Central Jersey". If that is "best", avoid the rest. Very good Peking Duck, tender, large portions. Saved the day. Pedestrian scallops. Costco-quality pork dumpling appetizer. All in all, "take out" quality, save for the duck. Noisy with tables 75% full. Slow service; overwhelmed but pleasant, college gal waitress. Would not return.... Denville and Wayne places up north much better.
- Best Chinese food ever.CfanDined on 8/1/2014We dine at Temple at least once a week. The food is excellent. We never had a bad dish. The staff is friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Visit!!Drea83Dined on 8/1/2014My husband and I dined at Temple Gourmet Chinese for the first time last Friday. The overall experience was great and we will definitely return!! One minor criticism is that the tables for two are a bit small, but that may also be because we ordered too many plates!! Give them a try - delicious food and great service.Special Features:
- Always goodPicklesDined on 7/31/2014Whatever you order off the menu or the many specials they have it is always good. The service is always good and Cory is a great waiter as well as front of the house person. We love it and try to get there at least three times a month if not more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner in Red Bank, NJEatingoutagainDined on 7/30/2014We love to go here for special occasion birthday dinners! The food is plentiful and we always try something new. My teenagers enjoy eating here too and love the chicken lettuce wrap appetizers . It can be loud at times, so be prepared if trying to converse with a large table. BYOB is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 291 reviews are from the Temple Gourmet Chinese reviews archive.
- Good ChineseOpenTableDiner2013VIPDined on 7/24/2014The restaurant has a great look, ambience and location. I went there for lunch so it was also quiet. I don't know what happened, but my order was inordinately slow in being delivered. The server apologized profusely as I watched three tables seated after me, served their food before me. I also had to flag the server down for a refill on my iced tea. I ordered the sweet and sour pineapple chicken which was neither sweet nor sour---no flavor at all except the soy sauce I added in search of some taste. I'm not sure whether I will try this again (it's very convenient to an office I work from regularly) but I would not recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Great ambianceMickDined on 7/21/2014The food was very good for NJ Chinese. Portions were far from skimpy and waitstaff was attentive, but the prices were higher than expected for several dishes. All in all a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- retireVIPDined on 7/19/2014really enjoyed this the food was excellent , different dishes from your average Chinese placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good upscale Chinese foodjenniferd1664Dined on 7/18/2014Went here for my husbands birthday with friends. This was our second visit. Love the selections on the menu. Our food was delicious and the service was great. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- YummertinsDined on 7/16/2014Really delicious. One of my top two restaurants in red bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor DiningdinnerfortwoDined on 7/12/2014First, let me say that the food is excellent. As we found out the chef is the son of the owner of Peking Pavilion in Manalapan. We like that place, but way too noisey. When I made the reservation on open table I requested outdoor seating. When we arrived, we were told that the outdoor dining was "first come, first served". That is something that should be stated on the OT reservation form. We spoke to the manager about the mix-up and fortunately a table outdoors opened up fairly quickly. The server was lovely. The appetizer took longer than it should have, but since had a table outdoors where we wanted and the evening was nice, we didn't mind so much.Special Features:
- Best steak everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014I celebrated my wedding anniversary I had a great steak and my wife enjoyed the lobster rice, the service was excellent. On a previous visit with my father in-law we order the NY Strip and after a few bites we looked at each other and said at the same time, this is the best steak ever!!!
- Foodie1Dined on 7/7/2014We enjoyed out dinner....my wife and I shared a couple of apps and a main dish....all were very good and better than most NJ Chinese restaurants. We will return when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyone!JebmomDined on 6/27/2014Unbelievable lobster fried rice special! Great vibe. Unique dishes prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love TemplesunyunspoonDined on 6/27/2014We had been there two times before, and we brought two friends with us this time. They loved it just as much as we do. The prawns are large and juicy, and the sauces are flavorful but not over powering. I had the shrimp with lobster sauce, and it was the best I ever ate. We'll be going back there for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting food - onderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014The food is upscale and fresh Chinese. The dishes with filet mignon are outstanding. The staff is mostly younger folks - some in high school. They are all friendly and smiling and ready to help. Sit outside or in the "bar" area. It can get loud in the other room. Enjoy!
- DinnerDined on 6/14/20142nd time I've been there & the svc & food were great!!...Special Features:
- High End Chinese FoodStella61Dined on 6/13/2014The food was very good and tasted fresh! The lobster fried rice was excellent. The pan seared pork dumplings and filet mignon egg roll were excellent!! The chicken and broccoli was oily and I was disappointed. We never even got rice with the chicken and broccoli. We originally asked to substitute the white rice for fried rice and were given an adamant NO by the waitress (I hate going to places where they do not allow you to substitute even if you are willing to pay.....just shows they want you to purchase it a la carte). The cappuccino was excellent! The waitress was not very friendly. Atmosphere was very nice and outdoor seating was great. I would consider going back and taking my children to enjoy the outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.