1688 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.templebarcambridge.com/
- Phone: 6175475055
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday/Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11.00pm
Late Night: Sunday - Saturday until 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Boschetti
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room accommodates semi-private parties and functions ranging from 10 - 150 people, available for receptions, recruitment events, rehearsal dinners, business meetings or family dinners. Please refer to our website for more menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Claire Mooney 6175475055
- Entertainment: Overhead music that complements dinner and the after dinner lounge environment
A word from Temple Bar
Temple Bar is a neighborhood bistro with a focus on creative cuisine along with professional and friendly service. Temple Bar offers a warm and welcoming charm. Accented by exposed brick, oversized mirrors, lights and booths and an oak enamored paneling, guests enjoy the buzz and excitement of Temple BarContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Temple Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (22)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (15)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (14)good for groups (13)late-night find (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)Show More
- Nice Place for a good mealCrankinSteveVIPDined on 7/24/2014I like this place for the ambience and service. There is a good beer selection and plenty of tasty food. We enjoyed duck and striped bass. The duck could have been more tender, but it still was good. Appetizer boards were very good. The chocolate fondue desert was a real treat. We had a very attentive server and found the experience to be enjoyable. The real bonus was parking next to the restaurant. When driving to Cambridge, parking can be a problem.
- New Neighborhood FindCulinaryCulpritDined on 7/19/2014I've lived in the area for two years and have always heard great things about the cocktails and brunch at Temple Bar, but had never been. I will definitely be back. I took my parents here while they were visiting from out of town. It was the perfect place for a relaxing, fun, and delicious meal after a full day. The Object Old Fashioned did not disappoint. However, the radicchio served with the sea scallops was extremely bitter. Our server was fantastic - attentive without hovering during the meal and ready with great menu suggestions. The ambiance is similar to Grafton Street or Russell House Tavern. Diners should note that the noise is quite high so this is not a great restaurant for larger groups or persons who are hard of hearing.Special Features:
- Its brunch, what more do you needholmesmdDined on 7/13/2014I've brunched here dozens of times throughout the years. Their servers are continually never around when you need them and their coffee always tastes like they accidentally swapped the coffee beans for the espresso beans (which some people like i guess), but for a solid brunch thats filling and served until later afternoon they are a solid choice. They are years overdue for a new omlette in the menu though. Never eaten dinner here though, so many more interesting places in my opunion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine eveningSunnyside123VIPDined on 7/12/2014We go to Temple Bar a couple of times/year. It has been consistently good every time. Scallops were terrific, steaks were good, and chocolate fondue was very good.Special Features:
- Always goodmarciemVIPDined on 7/3/2014Great waiter. Excellent food, lovely presentation. Great cappacino.Special Features:
- required notemitprofDined on 6/30/2014now that I've done it I can submit. guess again it has to be longerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCFoodieDined on 6/29/2014I was in town visiting friends and family so we decided to stop here for brunch. The service was great (our waiter was very humorous and engaging), the food was delicious (chicken and waffles and carrot cake pancakes!) and the setting was perfect. Thanks for a lovely dining experience, Temple Bar staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NutsaboutfoodDined on 6/28/2014Excellent food and service. The presentation was beautiful. Love the diversified menuSpecial Features:
- Great as usual!BuffMcCloudDined on 6/28/2014Food was overshadowed by the service this time. Both were great but our waiter was so accommodating of my daughter's nut allergy. We really appreciate when someone goes out of their way. Ceviche is fantastic as was the lamb osso buco! This place is a must. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfy Spot Outside HarvardCaileanDined on 6/27/2014Found this place via Gilt City and was immediately attracted to the Grilled Razor Clams. Unfortunately they were out, but the calamari and the pork belly did a great job replacing it. The wait staff is incredibly friendly but ours was a bit slow to get around. If he was giving us time to digest our appetizers, then I think I could understand but it wasn't said. The appetizers here are amazing but the main courses I think need a little more harmony. For example, the sea scallops should be with a risotto instead of a pureed potato mix. Some of the additions to the main courses simply didn't belong. The steak frites though was done nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a dateOlyuEkyuDined on 6/18/2014Went to temple bar for a date. We had a gilt city voucher for a three course dinner which was valid for the whole menu - rare find! The hostess and the waiter were very nice, didn't roll their eyes even when the coupon was mentioned :-)) For an appetizer we tried salmon tartare which was delicious and huge! And cheese fondue which was amazing and very filling as well. basically we were full after the apps. For mains we had scallops with mashed potatoes and peas - amazing; and a steak which was a special that day- also great! For dessert we had a brownie which was nothing to write home about. Remarkable was great service and the place itself - very cosy and romantic, nobody rushed us and we had a perfect date. Drinks were awesome, too ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...Reviewing4uDined on 6/15/2014Went for brunch for Father's Day... The food was good definitely not great. I had the chicken & waffles and it was a big portion and was tasty. The Cobb salad was ordered in my group and it was average. I not sure what the lunch situation is but I wish there were more salad options on the brunch menu. The service wasn't very good...it was slow & very forgettable. The outdoor seating is nice and the location near Harvard square is what would drive me back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DottsDined on 6/9/2014Always good food and especially love their unique cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keep coming backlschultz83VIPDined on 6/7/2014We've been here several times but we really loved our recent experience at Temple Bar! The new menu is great, new table break is wonderful, service was good, and we were very pleased with the overall experience. We both had fish for dinner and both dishes were tasty in their own special way. I tried the Asparagus salad and added grilled salmon ontop - what a wonderful treat! We love this place, but truly wish they would bring the duck wings back.
- Great Food, Drinks and ServiceLibertyDined on 6/7/2014Music was Rock & Roll but not loud. Food was Great in Large Portions, Drinks were Tasteful and fun and they even created a Non-Alcoholic Mojito for my underage daughter and the server was friendly and attentive with really good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with a bunchLadadadeeDined on 6/7/2014A few of my friends and I went to Temple Bar for Brunch. Our reservation was at 12:30. The inside was not packed, but the weather was lovely so a lot of people were enjoying the outside seating. It was a little too bright out there for us, so we sat in one of these huge circular boots that they have. Very nice. The inside is beautiful. MY BLOODY MARY WAS THE BEST! Waitress was lovely. FOOD: Chicken and waffles - wow factor and tasty. Short rib hash - rustic and flavorful. Cheeseburger - perfect. Salmon eggs Benedict - flawlessly executed. I will definitely be coming back and trying Temple Bar for lunch and dinner and brunch again and again.Special Features:
- Great service, pretty good foodeatfood247Dined on 5/30/2014The food wasn't as great as I hoped it would be, but the waiter suggested a great wine and we had a nice time overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grad week dinnermomoneymoproblemsDined on 5/28/2014Came here during commencement week. Solid dishes--definitely not Craigie fancy but still solidly executed, and decent levels of creativity in combining flavors and dish composition, and things are always tasty. Service is solid. Got the Berkshire pork, which was delicious.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerpochoDined on 5/24/2014We went there for our anniversary and it was a delight. We asked if they had a suitable table when we made the reservation an we sat in a quiet side of the bar, in an area that was quite intimate, and perfect for the evening. The menu was varied, with interesting and tasty sounding choices, and the waiter was helpful when we asked for suggestions. We even got a nice surprise present at the end of our dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 855 reviews are from the Temple Bar reviews archive.
- Great Neighborhood SpotkathybDined on 5/18/2014Best all around restaurant in the Porter Square area. Food is excellent. Service good. Good for groups of up to 6-8. Equally good for singles who want a quiet dinner at the long bar at off-peak times. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- One of the favesscottyVIPDined on 5/18/2014The menu seems simple but the flavors always please.
- Great place!MichDined on 5/16/2014The food here was delicious! I got the duck and it was amazing- it was my first time having duck, so I was a bit nervous! The portions were perfectly sized. We got the fondue dessert and left feeling great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BulkierollDined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day Brunch. Was very crowded and noisy- lots of families with kids there because of the occasion. I have been there for brunch before which is why I came back again. They gave all the women homemade chocolate truffles which was a very nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice twists on brunch farectanDined on 5/4/2014I'm a foodie but when I took my parents out to brunch I didn't want anything too drastic for them. They worry all the time that food will be too salty for them, etc. They fail to realize that an actually good restaurant that isn't a national chain is less likely to over-salt the food!They were very pleased with their selections (amusingly, my mother actually added salt to her truffle scrambled eggs). Sweet potato and short rib hash was delicious, too. The dinner service always features great homemade breads: brunch was no exception, with corn and blueberry muffin pieces, neither too sweet nor greasy. I didn't get to try the cocktails this time but I will be back.Special Features:
- convenient and reliablegoodfoodgoodserviceVIPDined on 5/3/2014So the Temple Bar isn't exactly what I would call an exciting option but it is a solid, reliable choice. The food is tasty and interesting - everyone in our group was happy with what they ordered - and the drinks are creative. It's always super noisy inside and our waitress one one step this side of surly but the free parking is great and it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Seen better daysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/29/2014I have not eaten here in some time and I think the food is not what it once was. It was ok for a local meal. Granted I altered my dish for a food sensitivity, but I did not think the scallops were particularly flavorful or really very many of them and the side was a bit skimpy. With all the new competition in the neighborhood I was thinking that they may need to step up to the plate a bit more.Special Features:
- Transcendent BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014If gushing over my Temple brunch experience is wrong, then send me to the 'lectric chair, OpenTable friends. That French Toast set my heart on fire in the best possible way. I recommend this establishment to anyone with tastebuds and a beating heart.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemViv347Dined on 4/18/2014Temple Bar is always my boyfriend and my go-to when we want to go out to a nice dinner, but not have to get extremely dressed up or pay crazy prices. Overall, we like this place a lot and enjoy the food. Only two complaints: the first time we ate here, there was a spider running around our booth, and the second time we ate here, we were seated in a table that seemed like it had just been squeezed in between some other tables-- there was not much room and we felt a little claustrophobic. Despite these small issues, I will certainly go back, and can only guess that the place will continue to improve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014Met some co-workers visiting from out of state. Had never been here before and was pleased there was street parking (free after 6) and the food, service & atmosphere impressed me and my out of town co-workers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place...kevwellsDined on 3/31/2014always great food and friendly neighborhood vibe while still being a beautiful space. You really cant go wrong....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out !!VickiKDined on 3/29/2014We came in to celebrate the birthday of a friend and she was quite surprised at what a wonderful place it was. Menu had some great items on it, and my favorite by far is the Calamari !! Our server, AJ, was fabulous, almost like he knew what we wanted before we knew what to ask for !!! Needless to say, 2 people with us who had never been to Temple, found a new place to have dinner and a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friends and I tried TempleWestiefaceDined on 3/28/2014My friends and I tried Temple for resturant week and sampled a few different things: the chilled venison, duck, fondue, risotto, and pizza and everythibg was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We dine at Temple Bar a coupleRoCrowVIPDined on 3/22/2014We dine at Temple Bar a couple of X each year. This meal was very delicious; I had chicken, wonderfully prepared and my husband a seafood dish that he enjoyed very much. The menu seems to have been upgraded since our last visit and the wine list as well. All the staff was very welcoming and gracious- very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch LoveILOVEBRUNCHDined on 3/16/2014Temple Bar is one of my favorite brunch or after-work spots. It's never over crowded, though reservations are a big help on the weekend. The food is always good and they usually have really fun specials. They make great cocktails and have a solid beer and wine list. Service is good, too. I especially like sitting at the bar, but that's just my personal preference. I have never been disappointed at Temple Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Always Get it RightmendyDined on 3/7/2014On a crowded Friday night, we snagged the last space in the lot behind the restaurant. We were seated immediately (having a reservation always helps here). I'd gotten into a burger habit here, very happily. But this time I went back to an old favorite: scallops. They were tender, flavorful, cooked just enough and were beautiful to look at. My wife's steak frite was similarly beautiful and, she tells me, tender and perfectly cooked. No sharing this time. Space was a little tight, with an extended table of six guys next to us, on the phone, apparently doing a business deal from dinner. But with the food and the attentive service, they were forgotten and we had another delicious, thoroughly enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went on a Sunday night foroneyearDined on 3/2/2014I went on a Sunday night for a one year anniversary and I don't think I could have chosen a better place. Everyone was so nice the moment we walked in and I asked for a corner table and we got our own section basically. It was nice and quiet and the food was excellent. I was a little bummed out when they told me they were out of the Steak Frites when I tried to order. I feel like restaurants in general should tell you when you sit down if something has been taken off of the menu due to inaccessibility. But it was a great night and they have a great staff and I loved my dinner regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great overall experiencefoodiegirlsDined on 2/28/2014The food was excellent! Great variety, the waitstaff was very friendly and very knowledgable. atmosphere was great, place was packed and busy. Love the high ceilings. Would definitly go here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent local restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/28/2014Temple Bar is a great spot for dinner and/or drinks. They use high quality ingredients and the menu is comprised of classic foods with unique twists. Unfortunately we were seated 15 minutes late, but they were very apologetic and brought out a special dish from the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!HoneymoonerDined on 2/27/2014After walking by this place a hundred times, I took my wife there for her birthday this week. It was great fun and we'll definitely be back! The Minor Chord Martini was superb, a bitter and complex cocktail with just the right amount of bite to it. We both had seafood appetizers, ceviche and salmon tartar, and both were excellent. Our main courses were the best though, duck breast and lamb osso buco. The lamb was fall-off-the-bone tender, but yet it managed to pack in great flavor. We just shared a small slice of cheesecake for dessert, to leave room for the real desert at Berryline on the next block (which is the reason we've we've walked by this place so much!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Temple RocksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014I love this restaurant! I have been coming to Temple at least twice a month for years, often before hitting some fabulous live music or a poetry slam at the Lizard Lounge across the street. The serve consistently great food (you must try the scallops and the fondue!) at reasonable prices, offer abundant FREE parking in Cambridge, with a great atmosphere and service! The drink and wine menu is an area I would like to see improved upon. The mixed drinks list is small and too funky for my taste (friends have said the same) and the wine list is very minimal, especially by the glass. I would also love to see a gluten-free menu that is not just a re-listing of the relatively small number of items that are gluten-free but also offer alternatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.