1688 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.templebarcambridge.com/
- Phone: (617) 547-5055
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday/Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11.00pm
Late Night: Sunday - Saturday until 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Boschetti
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room accommodates semi-private parties and functions ranging from 10 - 150 people, available for receptions, recruitment events, rehearsal dinners, business meetings or family dinners. Please refer to our website for more menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Claire Mooney 6175475055
- Entertainment: Overhead music that complements dinner and the after dinner lounge environment
A word from Temple Bar
Temple Bar is a neighborhood bistro with a focus on creative cuisine along with professional and friendly service. Temple Bar offers a warm and welcoming charm. Accented by exposed brick, oversized mirrors, lights and booths and an oak enamored paneling, guests enjoy the buzz and excitement of Temple BarContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Temple Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (12)great for brunch (12)late-night find (9)special occasion (9)romantic (8)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Pleasant ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014Met some co-workers visiting from out of state. Had never been here before and was pleased there was street parking (free after 6) and the food, service & atmosphere impressed me and my out of town co-workers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place...kevwellsDined on 3/31/2014always great food and friendly neighborhood vibe while still being a beautiful space. You really cant go wrong....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out !!VickiKDined on 3/29/2014We came in to celebrate the birthday of a friend and she was quite surprised at what a wonderful place it was. Menu had some great items on it, and my favorite by far is the Calamari !! Our server, AJ, was fabulous, almost like he knew what we wanted before we knew what to ask for !!! Needless to say, 2 people with us who had never been to Temple, found a new place to have dinner and a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friends and I tried TempleWestiefaceDined on 3/28/2014My friends and I tried Temple for resturant week and sampled a few different things: the chilled venison, duck, fondue, risotto, and pizza and everythibg was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Temple BarSpitherDined on 3/25/2014Impeccable service, first-rate food, lovely atmosphereSpecial Features:
- We dine at Temple Bar a coupleRoCrowVIPDined on 3/22/2014We dine at Temple Bar a couple of X each year. This meal was very delicious; I had chicken, wonderfully prepared and my husband a seafood dish that he enjoyed very much. The menu seems to have been upgraded since our last visit and the wine list as well. All the staff was very welcoming and gracious- very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch LoveILOVEBRUNCHDined on 3/16/2014Temple Bar is one of my favorite brunch or after-work spots. It's never over crowded, though reservations are a big help on the weekend. The food is always good and they usually have really fun specials. They make great cocktails and have a solid beer and wine list. Service is good, too. I especially like sitting at the bar, but that's just my personal preference. I have never been disappointed at Temple Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Always Get it RightmendyDined on 3/7/2014On a crowded Friday night, we snagged the last space in the lot behind the restaurant. We were seated immediately (having a reservation always helps here). I'd gotten into a burger habit here, very happily. But this time I went back to an old favorite: scallops. They were tender, flavorful, cooked just enough and were beautiful to look at. My wife's steak frite was similarly beautiful and, she tells me, tender and perfectly cooked. No sharing this time. Space was a little tight, with an extended table of six guys next to us, on the phone, apparently doing a business deal from dinner. But with the food and the attentive service, they were forgotten and we had another delicious, thoroughly enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went on a Sunday night foroneyearDined on 3/2/2014I went on a Sunday night for a one year anniversary and I don't think I could have chosen a better place. Everyone was so nice the moment we walked in and I asked for a corner table and we got our own section basically. It was nice and quiet and the food was excellent. I was a little bummed out when they told me they were out of the Steak Frites when I tried to order. I feel like restaurants in general should tell you when you sit down if something has been taken off of the menu due to inaccessibility. But it was a great night and they have a great staff and I loved my dinner regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great overall experiencefoodiegirlsDined on 2/28/2014The food was excellent! Great variety, the waitstaff was very friendly and very knowledgable. atmosphere was great, place was packed and busy. Love the high ceilings. Would definitly go here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent local restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/28/2014Temple Bar is a great spot for dinner and/or drinks. They use high quality ingredients and the menu is comprised of classic foods with unique twists. Unfortunately we were seated 15 minutes late, but they were very apologetic and brought out a special dish from the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!HoneymoonerDined on 2/27/2014After walking by this place a hundred times, I took my wife there for her birthday this week. It was great fun and we'll definitely be back! The Minor Chord Martini was superb, a bitter and complex cocktail with just the right amount of bite to it. We both had seafood appetizers, ceviche and salmon tartar, and both were excellent. Our main courses were the best though, duck breast and lamb osso buco. The lamb was fall-off-the-bone tender, but yet it managed to pack in great flavor. We just shared a small slice of cheesecake for dessert, to leave room for the real desert at Berryline on the next block (which is the reason we've we've walked by this place so much!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Temple RocksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014I love this restaurant! I have been coming to Temple at least twice a month for years, often before hitting some fabulous live music or a poetry slam at the Lizard Lounge across the street. The serve consistently great food (you must try the scallops and the fondue!) at reasonable prices, offer abundant FREE parking in Cambridge, with a great atmosphere and service! The drink and wine menu is an area I would like to see improved upon. The mixed drinks list is small and too funky for my taste (friends have said the same) and the wine list is very minimal, especially by the glass. I would also love to see a gluten-free menu that is not just a re-listing of the relatively small number of items that are gluten-free but also offer alternatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatRyanDined on 2/14/2014We have been to Temple Bar before and were very pleased with the meal. This time, with a fixed price menu for Valentines Day, the food was good, but nothing special. It was enjoyable but not exactly memorable. It just...was. Service was good, no problem with reservations, but the food just wasn't what we remembered it being.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Valentines day dinnerSteveDined on 2/13/2014I was traveling on Valentines day and we were able to reserve a table the night before. The menu had a lotto offer and the beverage list is great. With a full bar, if there's something you don't see, it can easily be made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really like this placeDosiaDined on 2/13/2014Temple Bar was a random find, and a place I will be going back to again happily after already having eaten there twice. Once I went with a group of friends, and even though it was packed, after some wait we were able to be seated at a comfortable hightop table that actually fit five of us (two in chairs, three on the booth side). I also went there to enjoy an early Valentine's day dinner with my boyfriend, and we sat in a small booth, which was fine. The food there is good, and although there is a limited selection of items, that is what makes it a unique place: you go there for what you know you like and want, and for awesome treats like their fondue appetizer and tray of berries, cheese, and honey--very cool. The service is good, too.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere but food ....DianeDined on 1/25/2014Loved the vibe and Atmosphere when we walked in. There were 4 of us so seated in dining room side. Waitress was sweet but very slow and forgetful. Food was average and very salty. May return to drop in at the bar, but too many other good choices. Felt Yelp rating wa generous.
- Pizazz AND Parking!ParisianPalateDined on 1/23/2014I had originally planned to dine at Russell House Tavern (a repeat). A friend recommended Temple Bar . When I realized it was under the same ownership AND had free parking after 6 pm, I quickly changed so we could discover something new. We were not disappointed. The decor and ambiance were tasteful, sort of upscale neighborhood bistro-ish in warm tones with an exposed brick wall. The farrow salad with squash and granola and pea greens was unusual and delicious. My sister loved her parsnip soup with duck confit. The entrees were wonderful but we were so full from the soup/salad course that we had to box the rest of the osso bucco and salmon for lunch the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have enjoyed Temple Bar asRobertDined on 1/20/2014Have enjoyed Temple Bar as a better than average neighborhood restaurant in the past. However, since visiting over a year ago, the overall quality of food has declined (one example was a pork carnitas taco that was disorganized on the plate and difficult to eat, even though this item should be relatively straightforward to serve as a winner). Service was better but not that attentive and there was no one watching over the dining room to make sure that team work was in play to assist servers when pressed with other tasks.
- Good as usualBuffMcCloudDined on 1/19/2014Good food. Great drinks. If you haven't tried it yet, now's the time.Special Features:
- unique brunch optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2014A group of six dined at Temple Bar for Sunday brunch recently. The options were unusual and tasty. The service was great and the prices very reasonable. I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseLindzDined on 1/19/2014Stopped in for an early brunch. We were pleasantly surprised at the variety of choices; beyond the "usual" brunch menu there are a number of eye-opening choices...the fried chicken and bacon infused waffles were excellent! Will definitely stop in again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with pretty decentPvdfoodsnobsVIPDined on 1/18/2014Good food with pretty decent portion sizes. Def try the side of fries, they are out of this world. Pretty cool three course special which includes appetizer, entree and a dessert drink. The dessert drink was a little too sweet and had odd flavor combinations but still for $29 the food was worth it. Well priced for very decent quality, and cool hip atmosphere!Special Features:
- a pretty good place for dinnerlschultz83VIPDined on 1/18/2014Everything at Temple Bar is pretty good. We like coming here because of the atmosphere and the easy parking. If Temple Bar didn't have it's own parking lot, we would never dine here. The food is pretty good but it's not enough to keep you coming back for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent!LWLawrenceJrDined on 1/12/2014I'm very particular about food and service having worked in restaurants and being into food. Temple Bar is consistently excellent and is becoming one of my go to picks in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service, Food wasnt goodluvdandhVIPDined on 1/5/2014My wife and I went out for a date night this past Sunday and had the Steak Frites and WhiteTruffle Pizza. My wife had the Steak Frites and recieved the steak over cooked to start and when we got the new steak which took about 15 min. to come out and I was almost done with my dinner, the steak wasnt tender and really chewy. I ordered the White Truffle Pizza and never tasted any white truffle oil on it. I unfortunately wasnt very impressed with the food and will know not to come back to the temple bar. We were hoping for a better experience since we love Russell House Tavern and Grafton Street so much
- A Dining Gem in CambridgelondonboundDined on 1/4/2014On Saturday night in the frigid cold, I trudged up to the Temple Bar to meet a dear friend for dinner. We were both impressed with the ambience which was warm and inviting, especially welcome after a cold blast. While the restaurant was busy, the noise level was manageable. I ordered an excellent chardonnay while my friend enjoyed a beer. We shared the mussels and each ordered the lamb osso bucco. I especially liked the mussels because the sauce was not too spicy and was perfect for dipping The lamb was tender and moist. The farro was an excellent compliment to the lamb. We agreed that this was by the far the best dining experience we've had and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013This was my first time dining at Temple and will not be my last. The food was great and there was a nice craft beer list to choose from. Because I dined on NYE, the menu was pre fixed, but had a great selection. I look forward to attending and ordering from Temple's usual menu. The only negative would be that I had reservations for 9pm, and had to wait approximately 15 minutes until provided the option to sit at a high top table at the bar. I was told a table in the dinning area would be an additional 15 minutes. Because of the time crunch, I opted for the high top. The bar area was quite busy and much louder than the dining area but I still did manage to enjoy my visit.Special Features:
- Great NYE Spot!Whateva783VIPDined on 12/31/2013From the warm welcome of the hostess to the walk to the table and the very knowledgable waitstaff both my friend and I were impressed. The preset NYE offerings were quite delicious. The only note was that we were not asked how we wanted our Ribeye cooked and mine came out quite a bit more rare than my friends. Look forward to going back there to check out their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaky Start, Great Finish!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013My girlfriend and I went here for a last minute NYE dinner. At first we were seated near the window on a very cold night, and the draft was strong. But all it took was a quick request to the hostess and we were moved without hesitation. Once reseated, the service was good, but not great (took a while for the waitress to come to us, but I'm hesitant to blame her rather than the packed-house of New Years). The 3-course prefixe meal was delicious, however, I wish I could've sampled some of their main menu items. The cocktails were great, and had a ton of variety, and their wine/beer selection also had a lot of variety. Overall, it was a great night, with good food, a great environment, at a hidden gem near Porter Square.Special Features:
- great mealwinendineDined on 12/27/2013Had 8pm reservations for 4 people on a Friday night and we were seated right away. Ordered a bottle of wine for 2 of us and others had a beer or cocktail. Plenty of drink options (aged barrel cocktails seem interesting! ). Food came out pretty quickly and was delicious. Would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise LevelOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/18/2013This restaurant is too loud. A conversation among more than two people is impossible. Maybe the time of day is a factor... we arrived at 7:30 on a weekday night.Special Features:
- BrunchProfessorShorthairVIPDined on 12/14/2013My 3 dining companions all had the Gravlox and loved it. I had the pastrami spiced eggs benedict and was very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experienceDanWDined on 12/6/2013We had been looking for a good place to eat on short notice on a Friday night. We made a reservation via OpenTable for 7:30, but showed up a little late (around 7:45pm). Unfortunately our table had been given away, and we ended up waiting another 20 minutes or so for a table by the bar to open up. Overall, the staff was friendly and flexible and was willing to work with us even though we had missed our reservation time. The Sliders were absolutely fantastic and the Steak Frites entree was excellent. Steak was perfectly cooked, and the Aioli that it comes with is a MUST have. The Fondue appetizer was unique but a big hit with our group. The red-wine soaked pears were surprisingly excellent with the unbelievable cheddar cheese dip.Special Features:
- Something has changed at Temple BardinerDined on 12/1/2013Have been to this restaurant many, many times. Our last visit was just so so and up until now we had never had anything but a great experience there. New menu - lots of old favorites but not as many selections.Steak frites - meat was a tougher cut - my husband has had this many times and had always been wonderful .Basket of breads was now a plate with 2 very small brown bread pieces and 2 rolls.Will probably give the restaurant one more try before we take it off our list of favorites.It was the Saturday night of Thanksgiving weekend but it was a dinner for a special occasion and we were disappointed.Is it becoming more of a bar restaurant like sister restaurant RedlIne?
- Not enough vegetablesfoobarDined on 12/1/2013My wife and I felt that there is not enough choice when it comes to vegetables...Special Features:
- If only the food were betterHitchVIPDined on 11/29/2013Second visit in as many weeks, Still like the vibe but now find that the underwhelming food, which I forgave the first time, undermines the experience. The ambition is there but somehow the execution is lacking.
- Went for Thanksgiving dinnerFoodie52Dined on 11/28/2013Went for Thanksgiving dinner and it was excellent. Great service, menu, and food was well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!Luv2EatVIPDined on 11/23/2013Love the food and the ambiance. Service is excellent. Definitely a place to go back.Special Features:
- Lively and sophisticatedHitchVIPDined on 11/22/2013Based on my only visit to date, which was on a late fall Friday night, this is a lively, casual but fairly sophisticated bar with a clientele to match, mostly in their late 20's and up. Menu offered interesting choices, reasonably priced, and the execution was good but not exceptional. Comfortable, dark wood interior. Despite the crowd, our reservation was fulfilled promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.