Telly's Taverna, Inc
2813 23rd Ave
Astoria, NY 11105Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
Telly's Taverna, Inc
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tellystaverna.com/
- Phone: 7187289056
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 1:00am
Sunday: 11:00am - 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us to cater your next event.
A word from Telly's Taverna, Inc
This Astoria classic exudes Mediterranean charm with its lovely back garden and airy main dining room. The daily picks are served whole, grilled and, if you like, de-bonedContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Telly's Taverna, Inc reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (6)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)special occasion (2)romantic (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- miniVIPDined on 10/21/2014My favorite "neighborhood" restaurant. Want great fish, go to Telly's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gem!nntucktVIPDined on 9/26/2014Sometimes you wish that a restaurant is not popular because you want it to be yours alone. Telly's is such a place. The food is absolutely delicious, the service is warm and friendly and the atmosphere is warm and friendly. In the nice weather, eating outside is fabulous. There just aren't enough adjectives!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek Taverna Foodfoodie6Dined on 9/22/2014Authentic taverna-like food. Love the grilled octopus, lamb chops, befteki, zucchini croquettes and their grilled fish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014Telly's has "modernized" since we were last there. They've put in a bar and a banquet for waiting in their side front room and have attracted a much "more fashion conscious" clientele. We've been going there for years. This time, despite our 7:30 reservation for 4 people on Sat. night they made us wait for 40 minutes, after a few other parties, before seating us. The "maitre de," a fashionable looking young woman, was very disorganized and told us we were waiting because they had accommodated a crowd of 18 people who were not ready to leave. The service was spotty though the food was as good as always. After going to Telly's fairly often over many years, we would now think twice before going on a Sat night.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2014Consistently good food, courteous service and pleasant surroundings.
- The following 27 reviews are from the Telly's Taverna, Inc reviews archive.
- Neighborhood Gem!nntucktVIPDined on 6/21/2014We have been dining at Telly's for years. The food is always terrific and the renovation with the new bar area looks amazing. If the weather is good, dining alfresco is the way to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMichaelVIPDined on 6/19/2014Fantastic Greek food. Loved the grilled fish, moussaka, salt cod, beans in tomato sauce, and more. Helpful and attentive service. Looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downhill and falling fastuesiderVIPDined on 5/26/2014The last couple times we've been there it has been empty. The food is still good but the service is indifferent. Sit anywhere you want, ooh, except that table and that table. Why don't you seat me then? Asking four times to order from four different people, none of whom seemed to care. Then the waiter finally sauntering over as if we had interrupted his nap. The worst part was there was a pack of little kids from an adjacent table running around the entire time, inside and outside, up and down and screaming, in the alley way and on the street. I wouldn't normally be judgmental but two separate tables asked the parents and waitstaff multiple times to keep a better eye on their kids and the parents and the management did nothing.Special Features:
- Authentic Greek foodfoodie6Dined on 5/11/2014Like being in a taverna in Greece. Great food including grilled octopus, sausage, saganaki, and wonderful fresh fish prepared on the grill.Special Features:
- Extremely noisy2PastaLoversDined on 4/26/2014We have never been to such a noisy restaurant! They need to do something to tamp down the noise level. It made it difficult for us to enjoy the company of our friends-we felt like we were screaming at each other all evening. We ordered chardonnay and were told it wasn't sold by the glass-very unusual for a busy restaurant. The branzini was delicious, but the lamb chops were grilled with no added flavor. To top off the dinner, we were told that there was no regular coffee because of renovation, whatever that meant, but the cappocinno was good, so that made up for it. Unfortunately, we would not recommend this restaurant to other people.
- Neighborhood gem4foodDined on 4/26/2014Solid neighborhood Greek in Astoria. Not sure how this gets any better. Fish is always fresh and perfectly prepared. Salads are large - and I can never figure out how they get such marvelous tomatoes. Valet parking plus taking and respecting reservations make this a perfect choice for those driving to Astoria. Ooopah!
- Favorite RestaurantMichelleVDined on 4/20/2014Everything about Telly's is amazing. I went there for Greek Easter this year and WOW WHAT AN AMAZING TIME!! They has live music (which they should do more often) the place was crowded, ppl were dancing n the food and wine were to die for! Service was great. I always love Telly's. They have never disappointed me. I always recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opa!BabsDined on 4/12/2014Telly's Taverna was a great treat - food was excellent! Noisy - but a great place to take the family - so it was expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic, fresh foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2014very accommodating to all of our needs. the food is wonderful! Fresh great flavor grilled octopus was amazing, fish was wonderful, lamb chops and grilled chicken so much flavor my favorite is the grilled zucchini! not to mention the best donuts for dessertSpecial Features:
- Not your usual Greek fareOltariDined on 3/27/2014I have been to Telly's several times, and definitely will be back. The food is delicious and varied. One of us had the octopus appetizer as a main dish. She loved it, as did everyone she shared it with. One person ordered the grilled jalapeños, not my idea of Greek fare. Their portions are generous, and the Greek Salad is incredible and fresh. We also had "horta" (dandelion greens), and lamb chops. Everything was yummy, and it is definitely a restaurant where you can try new things. The service was good, and the waiter relaxed and made suggestions as we took our time. This was a Thursday, weekends are usually much busier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek Meal2foodiesDined on 3/27/2014Fresh fish well prepared, great friendly service, fair prices and pretty decent wines; we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantchloeVIPDined on 3/8/2014We eat there all the time because the food is always delicious , and the people are so nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best greek saladNancyVIPDined on 2/14/2014love this place! Ive been dining there a lot for the past few years. Good salads and fishSpecial Features:
- I've been going to Telly'snancyVIPDined on 11/23/2013I've been going to Telly's since they were on TV during the Olympics that were held in Greece. I live on Staten Island so it's a trip but worth it! Love the St. Peter's fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was ok. nothing spectacular.bpktsDined on 11/10/2013food was ok. nothing spectacular. menu was kind of limited and they were out of various greek specialities when we arrived (pastichio and mousakka) even though we had an early reservation on a Saturday evening. Really nothing special but mediocre greek food.
- reviewgreekguygregDined on 9/7/2013was there saturday night with 6 people hads a grest experince food was excellent service good all in all a very good dining experience not myfirst time there if you want authentic greek food at a reasonable a must go ps dont foerget to check out the wine list excellent greek redsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeFinedineDined on 8/8/2013I have been going here for years and I never get disappointed. Food is amazing and staff is friendly.Special Features:
- Consistently good Greek foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2013Consistently good Greek food and pleasant, casual, lively atmosphere over many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Telly's is a true neighborhoodnntucktVIPDined on 6/29/2013Telly's is a true neighborhood gem. The food is outstanding, the atmosphere is warm and friendly and the service is spot-on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Food is Amazing!!!!uesiderVIPDined on 6/2/2013This is Milos without the scene or the prices. I would give it five stars if it was just based on the food. The salads, the whole fish, the potatoes, the lamb chops, everything is delicious. I wish I could eat here every night. It is especially great for groups since everything is family style and the portions are large. The wine is very reasonable, too. You can have a great meal without breaking the bank. Definitely worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but coupon alertOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/27/2013Everything was good about this restaurant, the food and service especially the fish. But when presenting the Open Table coupon it wasn't discounted until we confronted the waiter. So when presenting a coupon make sure you tell them on the onset of ordering so that they can be fully aware of the end procedure.Special Features:
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2013The food is excellent. We enjoy everything we eat there. The fish is grilled perfectly and the appetizers and salads are perfectly seasoned. The free loukoumadis on week nights is a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishUshkyVIPDined on 5/18/2013Not fancy but the food and service is top notch. I highly recommend the whole fish and they have. Large selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time aroundnpcareyDined on 5/12/2013This is the second time we're eaten at Telly's and I cannot say enough about the food. It is as good as any food I had in Greece. There are more upscale Greek dining venues in NYC, but get yourself to Astoria and try Telly's. The grilled octopus and saganaki (fried cheese) appetizers are particularly notable.Special Features:
- We have been going to Telly'snntucktVIPDined on 3/23/2013We have been going to Telly's for years. Outstanding food - warm and inviting atmosphere. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- In an area teeming with GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/30/2012In an area teeming with Greek restaurants, Telly's stands out among the competition. The seafood is fresh and deliciously grilled. The wine list is very affordable as well. If you haven't been here yet you should definitely try it.Special Features:
- First, they did not have theOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/15/2012First, they did not have the reservation. We waited over one hour to get a table while the restaurant was half empty. Second the food was stale The service adequate but incompetent. Otherwise perfect.