198 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://chelseadining.com/
- Phone: 2126918696
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH - Mon.-Fri. 12-4 pm
DINNER - Mon.-Sun. 4pm-12am
BRUNCH - Sat. & Sun. 11am-4 pm
PRE-THEATRE DINNER - Mon.-Sun. 4-7pm (Prix-Fixe $19.95)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Alonso Tello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Tello's
What a find! Lit with candles and chandeliers, this cozy place has such a wonderful old-world feel that you may think you've walked onto the set of a Martin Scorsese film. A helpful staff serves up hefty portions (light on price) of well prepared Italian fare. Pasta is cooked al dente every time and the seafood is plentiful and fresh. Be sure to join us on Saturday and Sunday for our boozy brunch - for only an additional $12, enjoy unlimited drinks with your brunch entree. We also offer a 3-course pre-theatre menu for only $19.95 from 4-7pm daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tello's reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)romantic (4)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)special occasion (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fantastic lunch placeBryanDined on 9/3/2014My girlfriend and I met here for a lunch date. The waiter was absolutely fantastic. I had the seafood salad on the waiters recommendation, and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodRobbobVIPDined on 8/22/2014I had not been to Tello's in several years. I went back the other night and discovered that it was as consistently good as it always had been when I frequented there years ago.Special Features:
- Simply awfullizardloverVIPDined on 8/2/2014Don't go. Just don't go. There was not one redeemable aspect of this place.
- The following 94 reviews are from the Tello's reviews archive.
- Authentic ItalianjohngouldrubinDined on 5/6/2014Real authentic, lovingly prepared Italian food. The attention to detail in the menu and service is fantatic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch With an ExtraPhilCVIPDined on 3/23/2014Tello offers an unusually wide variety of choices on their weekend brunch menu, all at a very reasonable fixed price including a drink and coffee or tea. If you go on Sunday afternoon at 2 you should be aware that they offer a drag queen show for about an hour. It was fun and enjoyable, even for the diners who didn't know in advance what they were in for. To her credit the entertainer modified her show so that it was acceptable for the fourth grader in the audience who was celebrating her birthday.Special Features:
- Post theatreBethyVIPDined on 3/20/2014Good food,ambience and one of the few restaurants in Chelsea where you can actually hear each other in conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014I'm ranking this as one of the top restaurants for service I've been to in the city. Food was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not what I expectedHarlermknight145Dined on 2/22/2014Place was empty when we got there and empty when we left. The place looks run down like it hasn't been renovated in centuries. I will not return.
- Good food, good valueJudyJudyVIPDined on 2/15/2014My friend and I were going to the Irish repertory theater and so this restaurant was geographically desirable. I had the roast duck. It came with some wonderful vegetables. I also had chocolate mousse for dessert. Everything was good and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointedBruceDined on 2/14/2014We have been to Tello's many times. This was Valentine's night. We had a long standing reservation and arrived on time. There was no table ready...they had us wait right on top of a table they were trying to clear in the "back room". Not pleasant. The food, a pris-fixe menu was also disappointing. Cheap steak, tough and not properly done. When the mashed potatoes are the meal's highlight...it's not so good!Special Features:
- Questionable ServiceAggiDined on 2/9/2014The Brunch food selection and price was good. Nice drink selection with the Brunch. Wait staff courteous However after waiting 30 minutes for 2 pizzas for 2 children, the waiter thought we had canceled their order. Communicaation misunderstanding but Big mixup resulting in 2 starving children.What did he think they would eat??? We'd try it again but would make sure the order was double checked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect FindSusieQ15Dined on 12/7/2013We were walking thru the city & decided to try out Tellos. We were pleasantly surprised by the delicious food and attentive wait service. The sauce was great, especially the Pasta Bolognese. We just returned again for dinner with a small group of friends. The food was fresh and delicious. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Its a great restaurant in NYC.Special Features:
- It's really not fair to baseBarbandbarVIPDined on 11/17/2013It's really not fair to base the food solely on my dish. Everyone else enjoyed their meals. I ordered the eggs Florentine and expected what I'm used to which is an omelet with spinach. What I got was eggs Benedict with spinach which I do not care for. Over all, it is a lovely place and a bargain for the $14.95 brunch and you can actually have a conversation because it is quiet. I guess it attracts an older crowd. barbaraSpecial Features:
- Great food, great service,CBCBDined on 10/10/2013Great food, great service, at a great price. A rare find in NYC!!!Special Features:
- Delicious pastaLive2EatDined on 9/20/2013We shared pasta dishes and all were excellent. Look forward to exploring Tello's menu further on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, not greatbrunchloverDined on 9/15/2013Food was Ok, not great (I had the farmer's omelet for brunch), my waiter wasn't very accommodating, I think that made all the difference to me.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2013Food was adequate. Service was awful - slow to nonexistent. The waiter at an adjoining table was more helpful than our own. The lighting was turned down shortly after we arrived to a point where we could not see our food. We asked the owner / manager three times to raise it but to no avail.
- Salted foodCharlotteDined on 9/2/2013I would not recommend this restaurant as it was like the salt pot was fallen into the pesto container by mistake. The pasta with pesto was so salty that it was impossible to eat. .Special Features:
- Cozy, classy spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2013Candle-lit tables and low music made intimate conversations easy. Cocktails were also available at the small bar in the front which good for after work meets without the crowds. Plenty of photos of Italian celebrities and vintage posters for the nostaligic folks. The menu was small but good variety of comfort dishes, very generous portions. Prices typical for Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2013Went for brunch, which is a great price, but the food was bland - even eggs. Bloody Mary had nto flavor. Used to go to the place a lot - reasonably priced decent food and good service, Service was good but food not up to par.
- Disappointment on a PlateelachanceDined on 7/24/2013Was looking forward to a good experience at a pretty highly rated spot. Went with my girlfriend and ordered a menu standard and special. Service was incredibly slow and infrequent to the outside tables. Food including the specials were a real disappointment given that we had to wait very long (~40minutes) to get them and ultimately they just were not good. Bland and uninspired execution of what seemed like a promising menu. Given this... waaaay overpriced too! I really regret not walking 50ft further to the Rocking Horse Cafe which I know to be great since I've been there 4 times or more. Always good and a better choice in this neighborhood. Point of the story... keep on walking to avoid Disappointment on a Plate at Tello's. Terrible!
- Excellent food & price!SaxxynycVIPDined on 6/26/2013I hadn't been this neighborhood restaurant in a number of years. I came back with some new work friends and the Italian food was well priced and very tasty and delicious. I'll be back again soon. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth itCdGinNYCVIPDined on 6/13/2013We went as it was raining and close by and we had not eating there in years - thought, why not? They food is fair to poor. The service while friendly lacked any local neighborhood charm. I am not sure how this place stays open but perhaps the girls they have standing outside as barkers to bring in the tourists is keeping them going - it does not seem to appeal to the neighborhood crowd.
- DisappointedGeoffdiVIPDined on 5/26/2013The service was fantastic but the food was awful. I will give it another try as maybe just the fish "special" was not so good.Special Features:
- Enjoyed first visit to Tello's.PhylVIPDined on 5/17/2013Enjoyed first visit to Tello's. The food was tasty, the service attentive, the atmosphere homey. Hope to return again soon.Special Features:
- service ok due to no one being therOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2013Food just OK, so many restaurants in the area, don't think I'd go back.
- TerriblejimfVIPDined on 5/16/2013Our experience at Tello's was the worst we have ever had. Bad food, bad service and bad vibes. Stay away!
- A neighborhood Italian restaurant,FledermausDined on 4/26/2013A neighborhood Italian restaurant, the food is very good, large portions, well-prepared and worth the price. From my observations there are many neighborhood regulars here, the maitre d'/manager (?owner) is cheerful and makes you feel like you are visiting your uncle's for a meal.Special Features:
- Service was so poor, we couldn'tFoodieVIPDined on 4/18/2013Service was so poor, we couldn't believe it. Three of us were served, while the 4th could not get her meal until the rest were all finished. She should not have been charged. We had to tell them to take her wine off the bill.
- I love going here becauseTexinNYCDined on 4/16/2013I love going here because the food is delicious and the staff never rushes you. It has a fun, charming atmosphere without being too louchSpecial Features:
- Probably one of the worstOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2013Probably one of the worst dining experiences I have had in a long time. Good was terrible, service uncommunicative and then had the nerve to charge us more than listed.
- Great place. Our first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013Great place. Our first time here. I came here because of all the great reviews. We spent 3 hours here for dinner. We loved it and will be back. My date was so impressed. My only wish is thAt the food came out nice and hot which is wasn't. I need my food to come to me nice and hot. I still tipped 2o%. Great place. KevinSpecial Features:
- Bad, bad waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Our waiter was horrible. He forgot to bring a salad that was ordered, so I reminded him but it didn't come until the end of the meal, at which point I told him that it was too late (but my son's girlfriend wanted to eat it, so we kept it). He made no comment at this point. Then, right before he brought the check, he said that his job was at stake and he would give us the salad without charge (his accent was a little hard to follow, but this was the gist). When the bill arrived, it was NOT ITEMIZED and my husband was suspicious but I wanted to just pay and go home. The next day I totaled our bill, based on the website's menu, and we had been OVER CHARGED by $36.00!!! Called manager, left message, never heard back.
- Recommended by my cousin whoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2013Recommended by my cousin who lives in Chelsea as we were visiting NYC for our anniversary. Spent our anniversary night at Tello's and have a fantastic time. Great food, excellent atmosphere (very old school style Italian place), and great service. We highly recommend it if in the Chelsea area.Special Features:
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/15/2013This was our first time at Tellos. The staff was super friendly and nice and did not balk about a specisl request I had regarding how I wanted my food prepared and giving me a healthier side salad rather then fries which came with the dish I ordered. I'd like to go back and try different things on the menu.Special Features:
- A good value.MeyersuDined on 3/7/2013Nice ambiance, good Chelsea location. Very nice and attentive service. Food was ok, not great but a good value, and portions are large.
- Just a very nice spot. ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/20/2013Just a very nice spot. Server was young and somewhat inexperiencd, but made up for it with a good effort. Staff was very friendly. Entrees range from very god to outstanding. The veal and shrmp dish was out of this workd. Also a good job on the calamariSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed the food tremendously.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Enjoyed the food tremendously. Ambience was very nice, and it was very affordable. I recommend i highly.A very fun place with great food!Special Features:
- Given it was Valentines Day,NYCtheatredinerDined on 2/14/2013Given it was Valentines Day, the service was a but slow. The meal was excellent, that was a definite offset to the service.Special Features:
- AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The service at Tello's is very friendly and professional. They are flexible. However, I didn't know that they were not using their original menu on Valentine's and only offered prix fixe rates and only certain plates for 40 dollars each. But they were happy to accomodate us and offered the regular menu after we expressed our dissapointment. They really should have noted that somewhere on their site or when making a reservation for that day. It would have been a much more costly meal but they handled it gracefully and it turned out to be a delicious evening. Boyfriend said"best steak ever in NYC and exceptional for the price."Special Features: