72 W. 69th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.telepan-ny.com/
- Phone: (212) 580-4300
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Telepan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private room seats up to 20 people
- Private Party Contact: Keima Dunn 2125804300x
A word from Telepan
Chef Bill Telepan acclaimed former chef of the 3-star Judson Grill will serve the very best and freshest of seasonal foods impeccably prepared and paired with an interesting, hand- picked and reasonably priced selection of wines. Ruth Reichl described his cooking as “…extremely eloquent; each of [his] unassuming dishes roars with flavor, and the minute you finish one bite you instantly want another. His direct style draws diners into a vibrant interplay of textures, tastes and colors.” Telepan, an exciting new destination located in the heart of the Upper West Side, will welcome fine dining enthusiasts from around the city, as well as the pre- and post-theater Lincoln Center crowd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Telepan reviews from OpenTable diners
325 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (223)neighborhood gem (173)special occasion (155)romantic (82)notable wine list (78)great for lunch (64)great for brunch (52)good for groups (23)hot spot (10)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Outstanding in every way!luvfoodnnycDined on 11/23/2014We were a party of four for brunch and each ordered something different so that we could all share. Each item was better than the next. The squash soup which was vegetarian was rich, creamy and delicious with no cream in it! The blintzes were incredible! The smoked trout was delectable and the apple crepes sublime. For a second course the poached eggs with biscuits and gravy were a standout as was the "Westsider" a plate of paper thin gravelox, smoked salmon and a dab of whitefish with a side of scrambled eggs. A generous breakfast bread basket was included with dreamy coffee cake and other bread items. Service was really wonderful. Can't wait to go back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNpleasantly Surprised with the ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I have been going to Telepan for years. Now, mind you, I live outside of NYC, so this may mean only once a year. However, when I am in town for a special occasion, this restaurant has always been a sure thing. I went with all of these past wonderful experiences in mind, to celebrate my good friend's milestone birthday. I left almost embarrassed at having talked it up so. The food, as always, was spot on! The service, on the other hand, was pretentious, unattentive, and rude. Our server, identified as Rother S on our ticket, was rather snobby. Our request to order a few dishes and then add to it was dismissed as 'unapproved by the chef.' Apparently, he wanted to get us in an out and turn his table! I doubt very much that Mr. Bill Telepan would disapprove of such a request. The food was delish, and the company was lovely, as well. So we let it go. Upon receiving our dessert menus, we were both excited to see so many scrumptious offerings from the talented executive pastry chef, Larissa Raphael, and her staff. In the interest of full disclosure, I will note that she is a friend of mine. Though that may make me biased, anyone would attest to her delightful creations as being the perfect ending to the meal. I asked if she was at the restaurant, and was never even given an answer (after several minutes of waiting -- like 15 at least)! Our lame server just came back to the table asking if we were ready to order. Sadly, we left without dessert, and I would bet money that 'Rother S' never even checked to see if my friend was there. WHAT a disappointment! No attention paid to the simple request that I had made to offer my friend in the kitchen a 'hello'. Not even a festive dessert to celebrate this birthday with my other friend. We had had enough. I will have to find a new stand-by for future trips to the city.
- mediocre service; oblivious waitstaffhungryfromSeattleVIPDined on 11/21/2014The squash soup with chestnuts was tepid, the chestnuts had totally lost their body; the beet perogi were outstanding; the pork was laden with chewy fat; a surprise accompaniment of a sausage unattractive and unwanted, and the cabbage unrecognizably soggy and tasting of bacon. The rice pudding rule was very nice, but the portion inadequate given the fact that we were still hungry from not finishing our main course. We pushed the food around in our plates, and the waiter ever took note of our lack of enthusiasm. Nice room with a nice energy level especially at the bars., But diners around out seemed to be eating with the same lack of gusto that we were.
- Telepan Rocks!HighroadDined on 11/21/2014Telepan = great food, lovely atmosphere and bravo to the service providers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!disappointedVIPDined on 11/20/2014Was told to come early for 12 pm lunch reservation to make specific payment arrangements. At 11:45, door was locked. It was about 29 degrees outside. No one came to door and I kept knocking. Another patron came and she was knocking too. A woman came to side door, opened it, and said they do not open till 12. I said I was told to come early, it was freezing in the street and I did not want to wait outside. She asked me who told me to come early. My answer, of course, was I do not know. "Open the Door, please!" She said she was setting up the dining room. More words. Illana was very belligerent and annoyed by two ladies waiting on the frigid sidewalk. She finally let us in at about 11:55. When one of my friends came, she could not get in either. Illana had locked the door behind us. She finally opened the door and accepted my credit card as I wanted to be sure I paid the bill. The food was good except for the sliced steak ($5 extra) was not chewable. I love this restaurant and was terribly disappointed. I also notified them at the reservation and upon arrival, it was a birthday celebration. They took no notice, another disappointment, lSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/19/2014Lovely food and service. Too bad you can't hear yourself think when the dining room is full.
- Great service, food almost as goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/18/2014The extras - amuse bouche, veggies, dessert - better than the mains. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantJazzmanDined on 11/17/2014Telepan continues to be an upper west side manhattan gem. Marvelous menu, with wide and interesting options. Impeccable service. Broad and intriguing wine list. Wonderful ambience. HIghly recommended for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonhDined on 11/17/2014wonderful evening - just the kind of place to enjoy fine food and friendly conversation. Staff went way beyond to be friendly and accommodating. And they have my favorite wine Albarino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the journeyrick1119Dined on 11/17/2014We received a very warm welcome from the host as we entered, who kindly forgave our lateness. The menu was small, but choice and seasonal. The appetizers were creatively combined and had interesting flavors and textures. The veal meatballs were over-salted, in our opinion, but the mustard greens were a great addition. For me, personally, the dessert was incredible. I had the quince granite parfait with almonds and homemade yogurt. Wow. What a way to finish the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special restaurant for a special occasionAlanGDined on 11/15/2014after a trip to the Met Opera was meeting my girl friend's family for the first time. Wanted to make a good impression and selected Telepan based on the reviews. It did not disappoint. Service was perfect. Food was excellent. Obviously there was some expense to the meal (2 bottles of wine), but this was expected for this quality. Definitely recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealeatsalotVIPDined on 11/11/2014Perfectly prepared and served. Clearly the menu was chosen with an eye to creativity and a nod to traditional preparation.Special Features:
- Great food, horrible servicepeacetoallVIPDined on 11/10/2014Lucky us - we arrived on time, and we were promptly seated in the worst table of the restaurant, even though we had an early reservation and there were plenty of good tables in the main dining room. The food was outstanding, but the service was horrible. We think there was only one waiter for the whole area behind the bar. We could get his attention for seconds before he ran off to do something else. This was totally unacceptable and a shame for a restaurant with such great food. We keep going back for the food, but the service has never matched the food and we don't know if we will return.Special Features:
- FabulousMartyDined on 11/10/2014Everything about this restaurant was special. The food was varied, unique and excellent. The service was outstanding and the waiter made fantastic recommendations. We followed all of his advice and were thrilled with everything he recommended. We would go back here at anytime for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb and friendlydastrauVIPDined on 11/9/2014You can always count on a great meal, friendly service and still be able to hear well enough to have a conversation.Special Features:
- But for the lack of a little oil...laderamomVIPDined on 11/7/2014Arriving for a 10 pm diner we were seated at a table that was in full view of the kitchen entrance. The door squeaked...no screeched...every time someone walked in and out of the kitchen. It was loud enough to make you look every single time and things were not always obscured by the black drape. Unpleasant! Finally as dinner service started winding down, the chef appeared and tried to lubricate the door. It worked! Did the front of the house not realize this was happening, or a maybe a suit isn't conducive to using WD-40? Is the kitchen door the prevue of the kitchen, even though this screech was negatively effecting the experience of the dining room? Service was friendly, overfamiliar, and a little indifferent. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experienceRayUWSVIPDined on 11/7/2014Telepan has been in the UWS for years and because it's not cheap to eat here, I don't go for dinner but once every few years. I love the smoked fish app but I ordered the duck as my main course and it was soooooo salty, so much so that I couldn't finish the delicious dish. Certainly worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding on all countsFrequentdinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014I have dined here often and this was my guest's first time. The service and food were outstanding as always. The Chef's visit to our table was an added bonus. This is one of those "not to be missed" restaurants in a very crowded field of good ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves its Michelin starBroadwaydebDined on 11/7/2014One of the best restaurants in New York City. Food is a joy!Special Features:
- Dinner at was good.swedeDined on 11/6/2014While the food was largely good, the overall ambiance and service were not at the level you would expect from a high end restaurant.Special Features:
- so impressedjer120Dined on 11/6/2014We recently moved into the neighborhood and had heard good things about Telepan. When we finally got there, we were more than impressed. Its elegant but contemporary setting, spacious table arrangements and quiet ambiance are perfect for conversation and enjoyment of a great meal. From scallops crudo and oysters to lobster bolognese and striped bass, everything was delightful. We will be back.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedParisjfkVIPDined on 11/6/2014I feel I can always count on an exceptional meal at Telapan. It also a pleasure being able to have a conversation with my table guest. Tired of other trendy spots where shouting is the only way to have any as semblance of a conversation. Thumbs up to Telapan for honoring their food enough to keep the dining room a pleasure to be in. Staff is always excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and service but....uwsmaryVIPDined on 11/5/2014really great spot. Had the tasting menu - everything was so good!. Service was outstanding. One issue - our table. We were given the table nearest the service door. When asked to be reseated, told everything booked, even though we had a reservation. The tables we asked to move to remained EMPTY throughout our dinner. Can't help but feel it was because we were two women dining and they felt that was good enough for us.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner/Will be backrobinVIPDined on 11/5/2014I have been wanting to try this restaurant for a while and am very happy we did. Staff was super nice. Went with my daughter. Nice crowd. It had friends enjoying a night out as well as couples. A solitary person enjoying a lovely dinner (I spied her lobster salad appetizer and my daughter and I got that ) It was lively enough to feel "out for dinner" but quiet enough so that my daughter and I could speak and not have to speak up. We both had wine and the shared the lobster salad. I had duck and my daughter had veal meatballs. We would order both again.(we shared both). We had the rice pudding creme brulee for dessert and everything was wonderful. It was a full house on a Wednesday evening. We never felt rushed. Great night!!Special Features:
- Succulent MealChanteuseVIPDined on 11/5/2014A delicious meal--again--at Telepan. Duck terrine and smoked trout as appetizers, seared duck breasts (wonderful!), and "PB&J" for dessert. We shared the latter, but I almost wish we'd had one each. Quietly attentive service. Very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderfulFoodie2VIPDined on 11/1/2014Telepan is a great restaurant that is excellent in all aspects Food, wine and fabulous service Have dined there several time and the experience is always the same... Fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect lunchCasaLVIPDined on 10/31/2014We were four and came here spontaneously after a long walk in Central Park. The autumn vegetables and frisee salad with poached egg for appetizers were excellent, as were 4 different fish preparations we had as entrées. We ordered the rice pudding crème brûlée with dried fruit for dessert. Although it did not sound glamorous, it was fabulous. We appreciated the calm atmosphere, conducive to conversation, which is becoming harder to find in New York. The prix fixe was a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BethVIPDined on 10/30/2014The food is great, but the decor is stark and cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWSguyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/27/2014always find something new and interesting and the old standards continue to amaze.Special Features:
- Very nice experience overallEfanDined on 10/26/2014Very good food at reasonable prices for this kind of restaurant, excellent (and not overly solicitous) service, calm and attractive surroundings, and very quiet noise level. Very convenient to Lincoln Center, tube stop. Overall a fine place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastybrkgnyVIPDined on 10/26/2014Mozarella was good. Atlantic cod was really god. Also I recommend egg duckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad brunchDineWell1Dined on 10/26/2014Brunch was overpriced. Service was terrible. We were ignored for most of our very expensive meal. I was with people who know Bill and he must fix this. I won't go back unless service improves.Special Features:
- Food is disappointing for Michelingh07981VIPDined on 10/26/2014Came here for brunch on a Sunday with my mom and had high expectations for their brunch menu seeing that they have 1 Michelin star. The ambiance is like the breakfast room in a nice hotel. The gulf shrimp and grits was very Cajun style, nothing special to it. There's a poached egg inside that made it egg-y and slimy. Smoked trout was pretty good. However, I was disappointed again when the cod came and was rubbery and the pieces did not fall apart. This is the first time where I had to use the knife to actually 'cut' the pieces instead of breaking them. Hanger steak was a bit burnt on the outside. Maybe the chef was having a bad day, but that means the quality of their food is inconsistent. I wish I had taken my mom elsewhere for brunch.
- Fantastic food and serviceLilaDined on 10/25/2014This was my second time at Telepan, I had been once for lunch during restaurant week. Both times the service and the food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Very good, just not the best...Dodger80Dined on 10/25/2014The veal meatballs were very flavorful, but a quite salty (I don't have an aversion to salt). The amuse bouche, a light butternut squash broth with apple and pecans, was delightful (they delivered it to us twice...nice!). The rib eye for too was a great chew and chew and chew and chew. The monkfish was "okay". The cod was outstanding. Desserts were excellent; a rice pudding creme brulee that pleased us all. A spiced apple cake that was everything it said it was and more. And a variety off unique and flavorful ice creams that would get a standing ovation from ice cream critics worldwide...more importantly, those in our family! I would recommend Telepan. The duck breast looked great - wish we'd ordered it - as did many other dishes.Special Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014Was expecting a neighborhood gem, but it was just ok. Ambiance and food both seemed to need an update, as both seemed a bit past their prime.
- Lovely and deliciousExcellentVIPDined on 10/24/2014Telepan was the perfect dining experience! Quiet and beautiful surroundings. knowledgeable and friendly wait staff, warm and welcoming hosts, and above all, incredible food. It is so unusual to find a quiet and elegant dining experience, we were delighted by Telepan. The waiter was so helpful in helping us choose both food and wine. Dinner was delicious, presentations lovely. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Always Great!MikeADined on 10/24/2014Been to Telepan many times. Always great. The menu or the service have never let us down. Very consistent. We always recommend to friends.Special Features:
- For the people who lunchladylunchDined on 10/24/2014Telepan's prix fixe lunch menu continues to be one of the best and most delicious deals in town. Beautifully and thoughtfully prepared dishes are served with care but without pretense. The seasonal menu is a menu for all seasons. Can't wait for the next occasion to go.Special Features:
- Much improved atmosphere91EuclidVIPDined on 10/23/2014The slight remodeling done last year has made Telepan a happier place to be served a delightful meal. The staff is very good. They are friendly but hold the line between 5 star service and being you friend for life. The atmosphere has not only been improved, the room is not over crowded. You can enjoy your meal and talk to your friends without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.