72 W. 69th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.telepan-ny.com/
- Phone: 2125804300x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Telepan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private room seats up to 20 people
- Private Party Contact: Lynne Estes 2125804300x
A word from Telepan
Chef Bill Telepan acclaimed former chef of the 3-star Judson Grill will serve the very best and freshest of seasonal foods impeccably prepared and paired with an interesting, hand- picked and reasonably priced selection of wines. Ruth Reichl described his cooking as “…extremely eloquent; each of [his] unassuming dishes roars with flavor, and the minute you finish one bite you instantly want another. His direct style draws diners into a vibrant interplay of textures, tastes and colors.” Telepan, an exciting new destination located in the heart of the Upper West Side, will welcome fine dining enthusiasts from around the city, as well as the pre- and post-theater Lincoln Center crowd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Telepan reviews from OpenTable diners
289 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (180)special occasion (144)neighborhood gem (140)romantic (85)notable wine list (58)great for lunch (58)great for brunch (47)good for groups (18)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- LVMummyVIPDined on 9/28/2014We were referred by a friend who is a New Yorker. She remarked it is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperaLindaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great pre opera option. Vert accommodating to food allergies. Food elegant and service is excellentSpecial Features:
- fijiVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our server, Ryan, was fine, and the food was, as always, superb. OK, we did the 4-course prix-fixe, so with tax and tip, it was inching toward $300. And we wondered. But no, once again, finally it was worth it. And of course, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodbicoastaldinerDined on 9/26/2014My husband, son, and daughter-in-law, and I enjoyed a delicious dinner here. The fish dishes were prepared to perfection. The halibut was succulent with tasty veggetables. My husband ordered his favorite, lobster bolognese, and it did not disappoint. The wine list is extensive, with many options in the mid price range (always a plus for me). For dessert, the lemon madelines, prepared for your order, were wonderful. My son loved them. I live in the neighborhood so it is great to have such a wonderful restaurant close by. And, the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllenVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was not quite as outstanding as I had remembered [from years gone by]. It was more than acceptable; especially once we were given the correct menus. Initially, we were given dinner menus for a lunch meal [ when the restaurant was not at all crowded].
- expensive, good foodGoodplaceDined on 9/24/2014the lobster roll starter was terrific (and at that price, it was a good thing!). Food was really nice, ambiance was ok - white table cloths and quite a formal place which isn't really my preferred style. Quite expensive, formal dining.Special Features:
- Not very memorableBb38Dined on 9/24/2014i had dinner with an old friend and we wanted a cosy neighbourhood place with great food. The food itself was fine although nothing to rave about. However the service was debatable. The hostess brought me to the wrong table which was slightly embarrassing. They forgot my starter. I have had better at that price in NYC and certainly much more innovative cuisineSpecial Features:
- Perfect Dining ExperiencedissappointeddinerDined on 9/23/2014Telepan is the perfect dining experience. We were seated in the first dining room; tables are comfortably placed and noise level is perfectly acceptable, an important point for seniors with hearing problems. Service was excellent: attentive without being intrusive. The best element of Telepan is the menu. Dishes are seasonal and creative. I had fresh corn grits with mushrooms and a poached egg: delicious! The seared duck breast was perfectly cooked. Food at neighboring tables was very appealing. It's a little pricey but worth it for a special occasion. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Everything at Telepan was above average, except the waiter. The food was all prepared and cooked very well, but nothing stood out as being spectacular. But overall it was a really nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but doesn't sparkleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014the place is calm (maybe a bit too calm, or outdated or something) and the food is good but nothing stood out as unique or particularly delicious, whether on the menu or in your mouth. nothing was bad, per se, but for the prices i wanted it to be memorable, something you think about the next day. and all i could think about was how i wish it would have been better. service was good (rotating waiters), though strange that no one asked how we were enjoying our meal.Special Features:
- Always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/21/2014Telepan has been my favorite for years. Still is. Everything is perfect, could not live without their signature trout dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food - freezing airconditionGremiDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant is nice but the aircondition is much too cold. Food good, winelist great. Athmospare okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 9/20/2014Brunch was delicious. Very creative and interesting dishes; reasonable prix fix of $32 for two courses. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at TelepanOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Ambiance was good and the food was very good. Portions are not large so if you are very hungry consider getting an appetizer and/or a dessert in addition.Special Features:
- dinahVIPDined on 9/18/2014Haven't been here in a long time. We were pleasantly surprised. Food was first rate as was the service. And the tables were spaced well so that we weren't distracted by other conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jammed against a wallSaustin1234VIPDined on 9/17/2014Why do I always get the worst table when I book through open table?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceSilversamDined on 9/17/2014We had the four course tasting menu and everything was very good. Delicious food, beautifully presented with excellent service. Tables are spaced far enough apart that you could actually have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, if overpriced.JaneVIPDined on 9/15/2014I love Telepan's fresh, bright ingredients and preparations. Everything I had was delicious. The vegetable plate, comprised of various pickled, fermented and fresh vegetables, was tasty, but so overpriced for the amount if food on the plate that I left feeling ripped off, and I am someone who is not very sensitive to price/value. The room is lovely, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazinghappybirthdayDined on 9/15/2014We had an outstanding meal to celebrate a 70th birthday. The birthday person chose Telepan and she was thrilled. We eat no meat so although we chose from a more limited selection, each and every item featured an unusual and eye pleasing combination of flavor and texture. The service was attentive without being "hovering" and everything was served at a leisurely pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there. AwesometimdrakeDined on 9/11/2014Before we were served any food the service was quite noticeably superb. But the food! well the food is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!DianaVIPDined on 9/11/2014This restaurant has good ratings and doesn't disappointSpecial Features:
- FORMIDABLEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcccccxcxxSpecial Features:
- OopscritDined on 9/6/2014Our server was not interested in taking care of us. Too bad! Sure ruins the experience & his tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland and disappointing5280foodieDined on 9/4/2014We have 4 nights in NYC so our choices are super important. We chose Telepan for the menu and reviews. But all 4 of our dishes were extremely disappointing and bland The Monkfish was mushy and tasteless, the roasted Chicken was rubbery and not crisp, not too mention the airline cut is supposed to be breast meat but this was thigh meat pieces, the pork dish was not as succulent as it should have been and was tasteless. All dishes were cool, none came to the table hot. No one came to the table for us to complain in time so we ate our meals anyway. So sad.So so very disappointing- especially for $30+ entrees.
- It was goodfoodiefoodieDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant was very clean and decorated nicely. The hostess was pleasant. We got to the restaurant about a half hour early and the hostess was happy to seat us instead of making us wait. We dined from the lunch menu which is a Prixe Fixe menu. The prices were pretty reasonable for a three course meal. The food was good but not spectacular. The vegetable plate and the Caprese salad were not as good as I expected. The flavors were quite different. The roasted chicken portion was extremely small and the white meat was dry. The flank steak was delicious as was the mango sorbet and the fresh berry shortcake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly presented foodRobertDined on 9/3/2014Most restaurants can only pretend to achieve what Telepan has created; a perfect combination of atmosphere, service, and especially, food. I dined Wed. evening with two friends and every appetizer and entree was fresh, delicious, and attractive. I will return, and recommend Telepan to anyone who asks.Special Features:
- nebraska77VIPDined on 9/3/2014I have eaten here several times and the food was very good. This must have been an off day for the chef. The presentation of the food was unappetizing, especially the trout. The restaurant is beautiful but NY has many beautiful restaurants - I'll give this one a rest.
- Enjoyed every biteSaritaVIPDined on 9/1/2014Telepan is the perfect place for a special night out. Every bite is delicious and the service is top notch yet not pretentious. Our waiter was particularly helpful in selecting a wine pairing for our dinner.Special Features:
- we just loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014The find of the year. The lobster roll entre elevated the dish to ultra gourmet and the encrusted halibut was the BEST BEST ever!!Special Features:
- Telepan never disappoints!pete10023Dined on 8/27/2014Visiting Telepan on W69th Street was again an absolute treat: understated, classy ambiance; excellent, warm service; and fresh, wonderfully prepared food. And what a great experience to actually hear the people you're with! It's become my favorite restaurant in the Lincoln Center area and probably on the entire Upper West Side of Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysfoodievickieVIPDined on 8/26/2014We have been here several times and always have a fine meal. Started with a "lobster roll" and smoked trout. Then we had suckling pig and duck ragu pasta. Everything excellent!Special Features:
- Always a treatSfnycEateraVIPDined on 8/24/2014We eat at Telepan at least once per trip to NYC, not just because it is convenient to our apt but because the food is so good. And an ice cold martini is the idea way to start the dinner-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to place for special occasionhubbydaddyDined on 8/24/2014Attentive service, impeccable food, and delightful dessert. Upscale but relaxing. Great for special occasions. The potion of each dish was just right for us (a middle-aged couple), but it might be a bit small for teenagers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in the UWSFoodhunterVIPDined on 8/24/2014One of the best places in the UWS!! I never regret.Special Features:
- Impeccable Servicejoanne112564Dined on 8/24/2014Had Sunday brunch at Telepan on W69th Street in NY. The restaurant has an upscale and trendy vibe, service was impeccable. They had a 2-course prix fixe menu for Sunday brunch. I had the Shrimp on Grits for my first course and the Wild Bass on Spanish Rice for my second. I absolutely loved the Shrimp on Grits - perfect blend of egg, grits and shrimp. My second course was okay - I thought that it was too flavor packed that I lost the taste of the bass in the whole mix - all elements or ingredients were perfectly cooked - just not a fan of the combination. My husband had the omelet and the crepes and he loved both. Air conditioning at the back room needs to be fixed as we have mentioned to our server.Special Features:
- VERY, VERY GOODThaurosDined on 8/24/2014Had a lovely brunch at Telepan. Not a vibrant scene--quite subdued, at brunch, anyway, but the food was very,very good, and the service was very good also. A keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Perfect BrunchBronxiteVIPDined on 8/24/2014Invited an out-of-town friend, Telepan did not disappoint. The smoked trout appetizer was its impressive self, and the ricotta/peach blintzes were sweet and light and fluffy. Mains were sea bass wtih an asian twist, which my friend quite liked, and I had the mushroom omelet, which was spectacular and nicely accompanied by buttered toast. Too full for dessert, but with two OJs, the check came in around $80 (before tip). Very professional and friendly waiter and accommodating servers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/22/2014I would consider Telepan pretty average and was disappointed given that this is a Michelin starred restaurant. The corn chowder did not have enough corn in it but it did contain black beans that were undercooked. The raw oysters were teeny-tiny. The frutti di mare pasta had a gritty texture and the shrimp was not fresh. There were a couple of decent dishes including the halibut and the rib eye but all-in-all, it was nothing that I would rave about.
- old stoggy feelOhara3sDined on 8/20/2014Food was underwhelming, vegetables overcooked and limp. Oysters were a bit slimy. This restaurant has gone way down. While decor is nice, everyone dining there was much older who probably prefer very quiet restaurants versus an energetic one. Just can't get over how bad the food was for this kind of establishment. It's life the chef didn't care.
- Fantastic experience!foodiemspDined on 8/17/2014I recently visited Telepan while in town and the overall experience was one to remember. From the moment we walked in the door, we were immediately impressed with the impeccable hospitality and wine selection. Each course we ordered came out of the kitchen with perfect timing, temperature, and presentation. We were speechless from the moment our starters hit the table. The quality and freshness of each ingredient, paired with the delicate cooking techniques cannot be beat. I am looking forward to another genuinely impressive dining experience next time I am in the city.Special Features: