72 W. 69th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.telepan-ny.com/
- Phone: 2125804300x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Telepan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private room seats up to 20 people
- Private Party Contact: Lynne Estes 2125804300x
A word from Telepan
Chef Bill Telepan acclaimed former chef of the 3-star Judson Grill will serve the very best and freshest of seasonal foods impeccably prepared and paired with an interesting, hand- picked and reasonably priced selection of wines. Ruth Reichl described his cooking as “…extremely eloquent; each of [his] unassuming dishes roars with flavor, and the minute you finish one bite you instantly want another. His direct style draws diners into a vibrant interplay of textures, tastes and colors.” Telepan, an exciting new destination located in the heart of the Upper West Side, will welcome fine dining enthusiasts from around the city, as well as the pre- and post-theater Lincoln Center crowd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Telepan reviews from OpenTable diners
293 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (194)neighborhood gem (150)special occasion (146)romantic (82)notable wine list (64)great for lunch (55)great for brunch (46)good for groups (22)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Lobster BologneseNYProfVIPDined on 10/19/2014Telepan's Lobster Bolognese, one of their signature dishes, was outstanding: exceptional depth of flavor, well-cooked lobster tail, and beautiful presentation. Will definitely have it again. Also had the duck breast, which also was excellent. Portions a bit small. Without an appetizer, some may leave unsatisfied.Special Features:
- brunchDisappointedDined on 10/19/2014I was very disappointed with brunch on Oct. 19 2014. In the past brunch has been excellent. Sunday was worse than your neighborhood coffee shop. Two dishes ordered. The smoked salmon bagel whitefish and loose eggs was awful to look at and from what I was told tasted just as bad. Cold bagels, dried out salmon watery eggs and whitefish salad was that what that was... The fruit plate was paper thin sliced apples maybe 8 slices and 6-8 slices of pineapple. Is that a fruit plate. Decaf coffee that was cold... Will not return and from what I saw many others haven't either Sunday brunch was an empty restaurant on Columbus avenue. Something is wrong...
- Din23VIPDined on 10/19/2014Favorite place for brunch. Quiet with great food and wonderful interior decor. Breads, drinks, food all made with love and care!
- Great placeDelishDined on 10/18/2014We had a fantastic evening at telepan. Our waiter gave us excellent recommendations and was very friendly. All the food was very fresh and prepared extremely well. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Dining ExperienceRumpusVIPDined on 10/17/2014We never cease to have a wonderful experience at Telepan. The inventive food is consistently delicious, the decor is refined without being overly formal, and the tables are placed sufficiently far apart so one can talk. It's a restaurant we're delighted to come back to again and again.Special Features:
- 3rd time here...ThePearlDined on 10/15/2014never disappoints... the quality of food in so many NYC restaurants is so sub par and they're living off their reputations. Telepan truly is for food lovers and it is always a special dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal in a lovely settingMadelenaDined on 10/14/2014An interesting, well-executed menu with something for everyone's taste. We tried the tasting menu, and it allowed us to try dishes that we might not otherwise have had. Excellent mixed drinks as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very satisfying.asiannewyorkDined on 10/12/2014Love atomosphere. Food is good and great service. It should be good for special occasion. Very romantic for adult couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Brunch...NYFelionessDined on 10/12/2014I had seen Telepan on PBS' Mike Colameco's show and everything they made looked delicious and not run of the mill. Since my niece lives in the area I took her for brunch Sunday to give it a try. It was such a great find. Everything from the sweet breads/scones to the pancake soufflé and shrimp with grits was delicious. We are planning to go back soon for dinner this time. The staff from the top down was professional, friendly and helpful(especially when I had a personal crisis and didn't feel well-nothing to do with the food). Try Telepan, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- dinahVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was lovely. Very busy on a Saturday night and our drinks arrived almost the same time as our appetizers. Recommend going but at off peak hours.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 10/11/2014Forgetaboutit! This once top UWS restaurant now serves small portions of flavorless fare at outrageous prices and hot dishes arrive at table cold. And the wine list offers some glasses of wine at full bottle prices.
- OverratedfoodiefromPSDined on 10/10/2014No one in our party of four had anything critical to say of the food or the service, but nor did anyone comment favorably. My dishes were rather small and not memorable. We found the service a bit slow and frosty.
- fairbulldogDined on 10/8/2014The service was atrocious from beginning to end. We were seated and waited a long time for our menus. Then the wait to order drinks...appetizers came quickly. There was a LONG lull between the main course arriving. The bill took even longer. The food was fair. I had grouper that was nothing special. My partner had the lobster tagliatelle that was very good. Huge disappointment. The dessert menu was fair. Too much chocolate and fruit. I like my chocolate sans fruit.
- Good, but did not soar.LosOsosJayVIPDined on 10/8/2014Several months ago my wife and I had a wonderful 3-course restaurant week lunch at Telepan. The corn soup was spectacular, and so were our entrees. So we were really looking forward to dinner. Unfortunately that fell a bit short. The cauliflower soup was good but no better. My smoked trout appetizer was tasty and generous, but undersmoked. The chicken I ordered was ok, nothing out of the ordinary. My wife's fish was quite good. No room for dessert, and the dessert menu did not seem compelling. Ambiance in the side room was nice. Service was an issue. We were two couples, and asked for split checks. At the end, the waiter said the payment system would not cooperate. So he estimated the split and got it completely wrong. Sigh!Special Features:
- Ok and borderline underwhelmingLiv2eatDined on 10/8/2014We expected so much more considering Telepan got one Michelin star . The price lived up to the hype but the food and attention to detail lacked on many levels.
- ZZGrannyDined on 10/8/2014Telepan never disappoints in food or service....a creative menu with Chef Bill Telepan truly using "what is fresh" and "what is local" ....I visit NYC twice a year and always have at least one meal at Telepan each visitSpecial Features:
- among the Upper West Side eliteDrMBGVIPDined on 10/7/2014Best restaurant we've eaten in on the UWS in yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food -- No pretention!wineloverVIPDined on 10/5/2014The food here is special, the service warm and professional, and the setting pleasant. A place to enjoy a meal fit for foodies without "attitude." I will be back again -- it could become a favorite haunt.Special Features:
- oversalted and overpricedFrenchyDined on 10/4/2014Food meager (when we got home my husband had to resort to a bowl of cereal) and, except for a huge dose of salt, bland; service quick but not gracious; wine abysmal ("sommelier" offered a taste as he unscrewed the cap, and when we said the wine was bad he said "I'll have to charge you for it because there's nothing wrong with the wine itself" -- though he never bothered to taste it so how did he know that? Furthermore, the bill charged $2 more for the wine than the list indicated). We'd have walked out at that point, but we had guests. We live partly in France and know fine restaurants there and in NY. This is not even a good restaurant.
- Telepan sets a high standardFasitaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Bill Telepan is a gifted thoughtful and generous chef. His restaurants reflect his personality, quietly elegant. The food on your plate is just as delicious as the large Hollywood style photos of glamorous vegetable are beautiful.Telepan was the first to highlight local and season foods a now popular trend.I don't know of another white tablecloth restaurant that's so relaxed like wearing well polished boots with your best dress rather than teetering pumps. This makes the whole experience very pleasant. I'd like to single out the front of the house staff for praise. We changed the time of our reservation 3 times (Yom Kipper). They were polite thoughtful and intelligent. Being treated like gold ensures the loyalty Telepan's cooking deserves.Special Features:
- Expensive but deliciousEltonfanDined on 10/4/2014Mani mani special was succulent! Beet pierogies were amazing! Too bad the portions are small and the price so high.Special Features:
- Almost thereJustFolksVIPDined on 10/1/2014Excellent food, beautiful surroundings, service cordial but slow. Still, one of the best in this part of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LVMummyVIPDined on 9/28/2014We were referred by a friend who is a New Yorker. She remarked it is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperaLindaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great pre opera option. Vert accommodating to food allergies. Food elegant and service is excellentSpecial Features:
- fijiVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our server, Ryan, was fine, and the food was, as always, superb. OK, we did the 4-course prix-fixe, so with tax and tip, it was inching toward $300. And we wondered. But no, once again, finally it was worth it. And of course, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodbicoastaldinerDined on 9/26/2014My husband, son, and daughter-in-law, and I enjoyed a delicious dinner here. The fish dishes were prepared to perfection. The halibut was succulent with tasty veggetables. My husband ordered his favorite, lobster bolognese, and it did not disappoint. The wine list is extensive, with many options in the mid price range (always a plus for me). For dessert, the lemon madelines, prepared for your order, were wonderful. My son loved them. I live in the neighborhood so it is great to have such a wonderful restaurant close by. And, the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllenVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was not quite as outstanding as I had remembered [from years gone by]. It was more than acceptable; especially once we were given the correct menus. Initially, we were given dinner menus for a lunch meal [ when the restaurant was not at all crowded].
- expensive, good foodGoodplaceDined on 9/24/2014the lobster roll starter was terrific (and at that price, it was a good thing!). Food was really nice, ambiance was ok - white table cloths and quite a formal place which isn't really my preferred style. Quite expensive, formal dining.Special Features:
- Not very memorableBb38Dined on 9/24/2014i had dinner with an old friend and we wanted a cosy neighbourhood place with great food. The food itself was fine although nothing to rave about. However the service was debatable. The hostess brought me to the wrong table which was slightly embarrassing. They forgot my starter. I have had better at that price in NYC and certainly much more innovative cuisineSpecial Features:
- Perfect Dining ExperiencedissappointeddinerDined on 9/23/2014Telepan is the perfect dining experience. We were seated in the first dining room; tables are comfortably placed and noise level is perfectly acceptable, an important point for seniors with hearing problems. Service was excellent: attentive without being intrusive. The best element of Telepan is the menu. Dishes are seasonal and creative. I had fresh corn grits with mushrooms and a poached egg: delicious! The seared duck breast was perfectly cooked. Food at neighboring tables was very appealing. It's a little pricey but worth it for a special occasion. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Everything at Telepan was above average, except the waiter. The food was all prepared and cooked very well, but nothing stood out as being spectacular. But overall it was a really nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but doesn't sparkleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014the place is calm (maybe a bit too calm, or outdated or something) and the food is good but nothing stood out as unique or particularly delicious, whether on the menu or in your mouth. nothing was bad, per se, but for the prices i wanted it to be memorable, something you think about the next day. and all i could think about was how i wish it would have been better. service was good (rotating waiters), though strange that no one asked how we were enjoying our meal.Special Features:
- Always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/21/2014Telepan has been my favorite for years. Still is. Everything is perfect, could not live without their signature trout dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food - freezing airconditionGremiDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant is nice but the aircondition is much too cold. Food good, winelist great. Athmospare okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 9/20/2014Brunch was delicious. Very creative and interesting dishes; reasonable prix fix of $32 for two courses. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at TelepanOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Ambiance was good and the food was very good. Portions are not large so if you are very hungry consider getting an appetizer and/or a dessert in addition.Special Features:
- dinahVIPDined on 9/18/2014Haven't been here in a long time. We were pleasantly surprised. Food was first rate as was the service. And the tables were spaced well so that we weren't distracted by other conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jammed against a wallSaustin1234VIPDined on 9/17/2014Why do I always get the worst table when I book through open table?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceSilversamDined on 9/17/2014We had the four course tasting menu and everything was very good. Delicious food, beautifully presented with excellent service. Tables are spaced far enough apart that you could actually have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, if overpriced.JaneVIPDined on 9/15/2014I love Telepan's fresh, bright ingredients and preparations. Everything I had was delicious. The vegetable plate, comprised of various pickled, fermented and fresh vegetables, was tasty, but so overpriced for the amount if food on the plate that I left feeling ripped off, and I am someone who is not very sensitive to price/value. The room is lovely, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.