72 W. 69th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.telepan-ny.com/
- Phone: 2125804300x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Telepan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private room seats up to 20 people
- Private Party Contact: Lynne Estes 2125804300x
A word from Telepan
Chef Bill Telepan acclaimed former chef of the 3-star Judson Grill will serve the very best and freshest of seasonal foods impeccably prepared and paired with an interesting, hand- picked and reasonably priced selection of wines. Ruth Reichl described his cooking as “…extremely eloquent; each of [his] unassuming dishes roars with flavor, and the minute you finish one bite you instantly want another. His direct style draws diners into a vibrant interplay of textures, tastes and colors.” Telepan, an exciting new destination located in the heart of the Upper West Side, will welcome fine dining enthusiasts from around the city, as well as the pre- and post-theater Lincoln Center crowd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Telepan reviews from OpenTable diners
297 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (180)special occasion (153)neighborhood gem (143)romantic (92)notable wine list (64)great for lunch (58)great for brunch (47)good for groups (18)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- First time there. AwesometimdrakeDined on 9/11/2014Before we were served any food the service was quite noticeably superb. But the food! well the food is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!DianaVIPDined on 9/11/2014This restaurant has good ratings and doesn't disappointSpecial Features:
- FORMIDABLEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcccccxcxxSpecial Features:
- OopscritDined on 9/6/2014Our server was not interested in taking care of us. Too bad! Sure ruins the experience & his tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland and disappointing5280foodieDined on 9/4/2014We have 4 nights in NYC so our choices are super important. We chose Telepan for the menu and reviews. But all 4 of our dishes were extremely disappointing and bland The Monkfish was mushy and tasteless, the roasted Chicken was rubbery and not crisp, not too mention the airline cut is supposed to be breast meat but this was thigh meat pieces, the pork dish was not as succulent as it should have been and was tasteless. All dishes were cool, none came to the table hot. No one came to the table for us to complain in time so we ate our meals anyway. So sad.So so very disappointing- especially for $30+ entrees.
- It was goodfoodiefoodieDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant was very clean and decorated nicely. The hostess was pleasant. We got to the restaurant about a half hour early and the hostess was happy to seat us instead of making us wait. We dined from the lunch menu which is a Prixe Fixe menu. The prices were pretty reasonable for a three course meal. The food was good but not spectacular. The vegetable plate and the Caprese salad were not as good as I expected. The flavors were quite different. The roasted chicken portion was extremely small and the white meat was dry. The flank steak was delicious as was the mango sorbet and the fresh berry shortcake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly presented foodRobertDined on 9/3/2014Most restaurants can only pretend to achieve what Telepan has created; a perfect combination of atmosphere, service, and especially, food. I dined Wed. evening with two friends and every appetizer and entree was fresh, delicious, and attractive. I will return, and recommend Telepan to anyone who asks.Special Features:
- nebraska77VIPDined on 9/3/2014I have eaten here several times and the food was very good. This must have been an off day for the chef. The presentation of the food was unappetizing, especially the trout. The restaurant is beautiful but NY has many beautiful restaurants - I'll give this one a rest.
- Enjoyed every biteSaritaVIPDined on 9/1/2014Telepan is the perfect place for a special night out. Every bite is delicious and the service is top notch yet not pretentious. Our waiter was particularly helpful in selecting a wine pairing for our dinner.Special Features:
- we just loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014The find of the year. The lobster roll entre elevated the dish to ultra gourmet and the encrusted halibut was the BEST BEST ever!!Special Features:
- Telepan never disappoints!pete10023Dined on 8/27/2014Visiting Telepan on W69th Street was again an absolute treat: understated, classy ambiance; excellent, warm service; and fresh, wonderfully prepared food. And what a great experience to actually hear the people you're with! It's become my favorite restaurant in the Lincoln Center area and probably on the entire Upper West Side of Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysfoodievickieVIPDined on 8/26/2014We have been here several times and always have a fine meal. Started with a "lobster roll" and smoked trout. Then we had suckling pig and duck ragu pasta. Everything excellent!Special Features:
- Always a treatSfnycEateraVIPDined on 8/24/2014We eat at Telepan at least once per trip to NYC, not just because it is convenient to our apt but because the food is so good. And an ice cold martini is the idea way to start the dinner-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to place for special occasionhubbydaddyDined on 8/24/2014Attentive service, impeccable food, and delightful dessert. Upscale but relaxing. Great for special occasions. The potion of each dish was just right for us (a middle-aged couple), but it might be a bit small for teenagers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in the UWSFoodhunterVIPDined on 8/24/2014One of the best places in the UWS!! I never regret.Special Features:
- Impeccable Servicejoanne112564Dined on 8/24/2014Had Sunday brunch at Telepan on W69th Street in NY. The restaurant has an upscale and trendy vibe, service was impeccable. They had a 2-course prix fixe menu for Sunday brunch. I had the Shrimp on Grits for my first course and the Wild Bass on Spanish Rice for my second. I absolutely loved the Shrimp on Grits - perfect blend of egg, grits and shrimp. My second course was okay - I thought that it was too flavor packed that I lost the taste of the bass in the whole mix - all elements or ingredients were perfectly cooked - just not a fan of the combination. My husband had the omelet and the crepes and he loved both. Air conditioning at the back room needs to be fixed as we have mentioned to our server.Special Features:
- VERY, VERY GOODThaurosDined on 8/24/2014Had a lovely brunch at Telepan. Not a vibrant scene--quite subdued, at brunch, anyway, but the food was very,very good, and the service was very good also. A keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Perfect BrunchBronxiteVIPDined on 8/24/2014Invited an out-of-town friend, Telepan did not disappoint. The smoked trout appetizer was its impressive self, and the ricotta/peach blintzes were sweet and light and fluffy. Mains were sea bass wtih an asian twist, which my friend quite liked, and I had the mushroom omelet, which was spectacular and nicely accompanied by buttered toast. Too full for dessert, but with two OJs, the check came in around $80 (before tip). Very professional and friendly waiter and accommodating servers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/22/2014I would consider Telepan pretty average and was disappointed given that this is a Michelin starred restaurant. The corn chowder did not have enough corn in it but it did contain black beans that were undercooked. The raw oysters were teeny-tiny. The frutti di mare pasta had a gritty texture and the shrimp was not fresh. There were a couple of decent dishes including the halibut and the rib eye but all-in-all, it was nothing that I would rave about.
- old stoggy feelOhara3sDined on 8/20/2014Food was underwhelming, vegetables overcooked and limp. Oysters were a bit slimy. This restaurant has gone way down. While decor is nice, everyone dining there was much older who probably prefer very quiet restaurants versus an energetic one. Just can't get over how bad the food was for this kind of establishment. It's life the chef didn't care.
- Fantastic experience!foodiemspDined on 8/17/2014I recently visited Telepan while in town and the overall experience was one to remember. From the moment we walked in the door, we were immediately impressed with the impeccable hospitality and wine selection. Each course we ordered came out of the kitchen with perfect timing, temperature, and presentation. We were speechless from the moment our starters hit the table. The quality and freshness of each ingredient, paired with the delicate cooking techniques cannot be beat. I am looking forward to another genuinely impressive dining experience next time I am in the city.Special Features:
- Definitely a Winner!BestFFDined on 8/17/2014Telepan is always a favorite of ours for its excellent food, professional service, serene ambiance. Still, we wondered if a couple of young downtown foodies would "get it." As it turned out, we needn't have given it a thought. From the first bite of seasonal vegetables, "the best monkfish I have ever tasted," while sipping a crisp Sancerre, through the courses to blueberry sundaes and espresso, our guests' response was wholeheartedly enthusiastic. At the end of the evening there were two more fans for this deservedly popular uptown restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tried it for brunchSaxmanVIPDined on 8/16/2014We've been to Telepan many times for dinner. This time we went for Saturday brunch which was one of the best I've ever had. I had some special with spinach, egg and bacon which was heaven. Followed it up with a burger which was just OK. My wife had fish which was excellent. The service is always excellent and cordial at Telepan. You won't be rushed and the dining room is very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gracious little gemcoast2coastDined on 8/15/2014It was nice to have a quiet dinner and walk to the central park which was a block away.Special Features:
- wonderful as alwaysrestweekVIPDined on 8/14/2014peaceful ambiance, innovative food, excellent waiter. appreciated that there were many choices from from their regular menu for restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great American Foodharroop45Dined on 8/14/2014I went for restaurant week with my Husband during lunch. The lunch options were great and the waiter was very helpful in helping us pick. We both got the pouched egg salad for appetizer and tunna chickpea salad for entree which were both very delicious. All ingredients were fresh and top quality. Also,the their chocolate gianduja peanut butter cake was delightful. I would definitely come back here again for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Great all around!LeeBVIPDined on 8/12/20144 of us tried different things and all of us loved our meals! Loved the ambience too. We live on the UWS and will definitely be back. So happy to have found this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bombastic waiteramuseboucheDined on 8/7/2014Having eaten at many, many high-end restaurants without having this experience, it was surprising to find that our waiter at Telepan was not only pompous, but barely attended to us throughout the entire meal. This was on an evening when he was not particularly busy, but it took him at least 15 minutes before asking if we'd like a drink, never bothered to refill our wine glasses, and we waited another 20 mins before being able to order. The food was very good—the lobster "bolognese" was fabulous—but if the rest of the wait staff is anything like this, there are too many other excellent restaurants to ever bother going back.
- Excellent!NbmikeDined on 8/7/2014Food was amazing, service excellent. Since it was Restaurant Week, 3 course lunch was only $25. What a deal!Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchMontrealDined on 8/7/2014The restaurant week menu was the most comprehensive I've ever seen. The dishes were beautifully presented, the food delicious. A memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunchFoodloverVIPDined on 8/7/2014Delightful experience. Restaurant week menu exceptionally generous and varied. Service gracious. Will return after Restaurant week, albeit regular menu is quite pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faltering? I hope not!ETKAVIPDined on 8/6/2014T. is one of our favorite places and we've been there dozens of times. We were 4 for dinner. Service was friendly, but surprisingly slow. We started at about 6:30, when there were not too many other occupied tables. But we were there for such a long time that the place was full by the time we finished. Staff were racing around, frequently looked at our littered table, but it took a while to clear. Small thing: two espressos were brought to the table about 10 minutes before desert. Shouldn't it be the other way around? We'll be back, and hope things get cleared up.Special Features:
- One of my most favoritesopera1VIPDined on 8/6/2014I just love this restaurant. The size of the portions is just about right, the selections are terrific, the servers are usually wonderful, the tables are nicely spaced. Ahha! it's civilized! I must admit I go only for Restaurant Week and hate myself if I miss an opportunity. The bottle of wine we shared didn't hurt the ambience at all. It was a lovely lunch, celebrating my birthday.
- Excellent as always!ZMAN33VIPDined on 8/6/2014Telepan is always a joy with great food conceived wwith a lot of creativity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bear1Dined on 8/6/2014Wonderful as always. Have been going to Telepan for 8 years and look forward to our next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceNYCdinerVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food was excellent, the service impeccable and the room quiet where one could have a decent conversation. One of my favorite places in New York.Special Features:
- nebraska77VIPDined on 8/5/2014As usual very good. Service is excellent and the food comes beautifully presented. Recommend the restaurant to foodies. Do wish they would change the entrees more frequently than they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014excellent food, superb wine selection of lesser known names of high quality, lovely serviceSpecial Features:
- DissapointingLocalVIPDined on 8/5/2014The food has gotten too complicated and exotic. We found it hard to actually find something we wanted to eat. Best thing we had with our meal were the cookies. The service was very friendly and professional.
- Got in the WRONG TIMEWallStreetDinerReviewerDined on 8/4/2014Expecting this restaurant was under Restaurant Week...I was completely shocked to find out they ONLY do Restaurant Week for LUNCH!! Although I had a nice meal, the price did not justify its means since I would gladly have spent $80 and upwards if it included the $38 fixe price restaurant week special. If they would just offer a restaurant-week "dinner" menu also, I'll definitely go again and try out their "wonderful" MENU!!Special Features: