72 W. 69th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.telepan-ny.com/
- Phone: 2125804300x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Telepan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private room seats up to 20 people
- Private Party Contact: Keima Dunn 2125804300x
A word from Telepan
Chef Bill Telepan acclaimed former chef of the 3-star Judson Grill will serve the very best and freshest of seasonal foods impeccably prepared and paired with an interesting, hand- picked and reasonably priced selection of wines. Ruth Reichl described his cooking as “…extremely eloquent; each of [his] unassuming dishes roars with flavor, and the minute you finish one bite you instantly want another. His direct style draws diners into a vibrant interplay of textures, tastes and colors.” Telepan, an exciting new destination located in the heart of the Upper West Side, will welcome fine dining enthusiasts from around the city, as well as the pre- and post-theater Lincoln Center crowd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Telepan reviews from OpenTable diners
297 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (196)neighborhood gem (151)special occasion (144)romantic (82)notable wine list (69)great for lunch (57)great for brunch (46)good for groups (22)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- UWSguyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/27/2014always find something new and interesting and the old standards continue to amaze.Special Features:
- Very nice experience overallEfanDined on 10/26/2014Very good food at reasonable prices for this kind of restaurant, excellent (and not overly solicitous) service, calm and attractive surroundings, and very quiet noise level. Very convenient to Lincoln Center, tube stop. Overall a fine place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is disappointing for Michelingh07981VIPDined on 10/26/2014Came here for brunch on a Sunday with my mom and had high expectations for their brunch menu seeing that they have 1 Michelin star. The ambiance is like the breakfast room in a nice hotel. The gulf shrimp and grits was very Cajun style, nothing special to it. There's a poached egg inside that made it egg-y and slimy. Smoked trout was pretty good. However, I was disappointed again when the cod came and was rubbery and the pieces did not fall apart. This is the first time where I had to use the knife to actually 'cut' the pieces instead of breaking them. Hanger steak was a bit burnt on the outside. Maybe the chef was having a bad day, but that means the quality of their food is inconsistent. I wish I had taken my mom elsewhere for brunch.
- Fantastic food and serviceLilaDined on 10/25/2014This was my second time at Telepan, I had been once for lunch during restaurant week. Both times the service and the food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Very good, just not the best...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014The veal meatballs were very flavorful, but a quite salty (I don't have an aversion to salt). The amuse bouche, a light butternut squash broth with apple and pecans, was delightful (they delivered it to us twice...nice!). The rib eye for too was a great chew and chew and chew and chew. The monkfish was "okay". The cod was outstanding. Desserts were excellent; a rice pudding creme brulee that pleased us all. A spiced apple cake that was everything it said it was and more. And a variety off unique and flavorful ice creams that would get a standing ovation from ice cream critics worldwide...more importantly, those in our family! I would recommend Telepan. The duck breast looked great - wish we'd ordered it - as did many other dishes.Special Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014Was expecting a neighborhood gem, but it was just ok. Ambiance and food both seemed to need an update, as both seemed a bit past their prime.
- Lovely and deliciousExcellentVIPDined on 10/24/2014Telepan was the perfect dining experience! Quiet and beautiful surroundings. knowledgeable and friendly wait staff, warm and welcoming hosts, and above all, incredible food. It is so unusual to find a quiet and elegant dining experience, we were delighted by Telepan. The waiter was so helpful in helping us choose both food and wine. Dinner was delicious, presentations lovely. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Always Great!MikeADined on 10/24/2014Been to Telepan many times. Always great. The menu or the service have never let us down. Very consistent. We always recommend to friends.Special Features:
- For the people who lunchladylunchDined on 10/24/2014Telepan's prix fixe lunch menu continues to be one of the best and most delicious deals in town. Beautifully and thoughtfully prepared dishes are served with care but without pretense. The seasonal menu is a menu for all seasons. Can't wait for the next occasion to go.Special Features:
- Much improved atmosphere91EuclidDined on 10/23/2014The slight remodeling done last year has made Telepan a happier place to be served a delightful meal. The staff is very good. They are friendly but hold the line between 5 star service and being you friend for life. The atmosphere has not only been improved, the room is not over crowded. You can enjoy your meal and talk to your friends without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre - philharmonic GemVegas10yearsDined on 10/23/2014We chose Telepan for its location near Lincoln Center. Food, service and ambiance were all first rate. We arrived early and were greeted warmly as if we were regulars, then seated right away at a corner table on a comfortable banquette. Service of bread/water was prompt as typical for an upscale NYC spot. We appreciated the half bottles on the wine list and chose a nice chianti. The starters (cauliflower soup & oysters) and entrees (cod and duck) were served promptly, but without being rushed. We enjoyed each dish as well as coffee afterwards. No time for dessert on the visit, but we expect to return. After this lovely experience, we were puzzled by some of the negative comments in other reviews. Our expectations were more than met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sevsevDined on 10/22/2014We ate there because of the Michelin star. For lunch, the different plates of the menu are very different, both in taste and in quality. Some are very high standard, original, beautifully set (like the autumn vegetables), some are ugly, greasy and not tasty (mozzarella). I don't understand how a Michelin restaurant could have such gaps between plates. Meat plates were fine and desserts a bit heavy.
- Brilliant Service - Good FoodNYyumDined on 10/21/2014Service was outstanding! Appetizers reigned, Dessert amazed but main courses slightly disappointed. Smoked trout appetizer was phenomenal as was the "lobster roll" salad and house made mozzarella! All amazing! Main courses were a bit disappointing. Cod was average and lobster bolognese was cloyingly sweet (was expecting more shallot and garlic in the tomato broth). Complete redemption with dessert! PBJ Gianduja was inventive and decadent. Overall dinner was a winner! (Had the duck breast with farro last month here and HIGHLY recommend that dish... Delicious!) Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster BologneseNYProfVIPDined on 10/19/2014Telepan's Lobster Bolognese, one of their signature dishes, was outstanding: exceptional depth of flavor, well-cooked lobster tail, and beautiful presentation. Will definitely have it again. Also had the duck breast, which also was excellent. Portions a bit small. Without an appetizer, some may leave unsatisfied.Special Features:
- brunchDisappointedDined on 10/19/2014I was very disappointed with brunch on Oct. 19 2014. In the past brunch has been excellent. Sunday was worse than your neighborhood coffee shop. Two dishes ordered. The smoked salmon bagel whitefish and loose eggs was awful to look at and from what I was told tasted just as bad. Cold bagels, dried out salmon watery eggs and whitefish salad was that what that was... The fruit plate was paper thin sliced apples maybe 8 slices and 6-8 slices of pineapple. Is that a fruit plate. Decaf coffee that was cold... Will not return and from what I saw many others haven't either Sunday brunch was an empty restaurant on Columbus avenue. Something is wrong...
- Din23VIPDined on 10/19/2014Favorite place for brunch. Quiet with great food and wonderful interior decor. Breads, drinks, food all made with love and care!
- Great placeDelishDined on 10/18/2014We had a fantastic evening at telepan. Our waiter gave us excellent recommendations and was very friendly. All the food was very fresh and prepared extremely well. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Dining ExperienceRumpusVIPDined on 10/17/2014We never cease to have a wonderful experience at Telepan. The inventive food is consistently delicious, the decor is refined without being overly formal, and the tables are placed sufficiently far apart so one can talk. It's a restaurant we're delighted to come back to again and again.Special Features:
- 3rd time here...ThePearlDined on 10/15/2014never disappoints... the quality of food in so many NYC restaurants is so sub par and they're living off their reputations. Telepan truly is for food lovers and it is always a special dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal in a lovely settingMadelenaDined on 10/14/2014An interesting, well-executed menu with something for everyone's taste. We tried the tasting menu, and it allowed us to try dishes that we might not otherwise have had. Excellent mixed drinks as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very satisfying.asiannewyorkDined on 10/12/2014Love atomosphere. Food is good and great service. It should be good for special occasion. Very romantic for adult couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Brunch...NYFelionessDined on 10/12/2014I had seen Telepan on PBS' Mike Colameco's show and everything they made looked delicious and not run of the mill. Since my niece lives in the area I took her for brunch Sunday to give it a try. It was such a great find. Everything from the sweet breads/scones to the pancake soufflé and shrimp with grits was delicious. We are planning to go back soon for dinner this time. The staff from the top down was professional, friendly and helpful(especially when I had a personal crisis and didn't feel well-nothing to do with the food). Try Telepan, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- dinahVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was lovely. Very busy on a Saturday night and our drinks arrived almost the same time as our appetizers. Recommend going but at off peak hours.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 10/11/2014Forgetaboutit! This once top UWS restaurant now serves small portions of flavorless fare at outrageous prices and hot dishes arrive at table cold. And the wine list offers some glasses of wine at full bottle prices.
- OverratedfoodiefromPSDined on 10/10/2014No one in our party of four had anything critical to say of the food or the service, but nor did anyone comment favorably. My dishes were rather small and not memorable. We found the service a bit slow and frosty.
- fairbulldogDined on 10/8/2014The service was atrocious from beginning to end. We were seated and waited a long time for our menus. Then the wait to order drinks...appetizers came quickly. There was a LONG lull between the main course arriving. The bill took even longer. The food was fair. I had grouper that was nothing special. My partner had the lobster tagliatelle that was very good. Huge disappointment. The dessert menu was fair. Too much chocolate and fruit. I like my chocolate sans fruit.
- Good, but did not soar.LosOsosJayVIPDined on 10/8/2014Several months ago my wife and I had a wonderful 3-course restaurant week lunch at Telepan. The corn soup was spectacular, and so were our entrees. So we were really looking forward to dinner. Unfortunately that fell a bit short. The cauliflower soup was good but no better. My smoked trout appetizer was tasty and generous, but undersmoked. The chicken I ordered was ok, nothing out of the ordinary. My wife's fish was quite good. No room for dessert, and the dessert menu did not seem compelling. Ambiance in the side room was nice. Service was an issue. We were two couples, and asked for split checks. At the end, the waiter said the payment system would not cooperate. So he estimated the split and got it completely wrong. Sigh!Special Features:
- Ok and borderline underwhelmingLiv2eatDined on 10/8/2014We expected so much more considering Telepan got one Michelin star . The price lived up to the hype but the food and attention to detail lacked on many levels.
- ZZGrannyDined on 10/8/2014Telepan never disappoints in food or service....a creative menu with Chef Bill Telepan truly using "what is fresh" and "what is local" ....I visit NYC twice a year and always have at least one meal at Telepan each visitSpecial Features:
- among the Upper West Side eliteDrMBGVIPDined on 10/7/2014Best restaurant we've eaten in on the UWS in yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food -- No pretention!wineloverVIPDined on 10/5/2014The food here is special, the service warm and professional, and the setting pleasant. A place to enjoy a meal fit for foodies without "attitude." I will be back again -- it could become a favorite haunt.Special Features:
- oversalted and overpricedFrenchyDined on 10/4/2014Food meager (when we got home my husband had to resort to a bowl of cereal) and, except for a huge dose of salt, bland; service quick but not gracious; wine abysmal ("sommelier" offered a taste as he unscrewed the cap, and when we said the wine was bad he said "I'll have to charge you for it because there's nothing wrong with the wine itself" -- though he never bothered to taste it so how did he know that? Furthermore, the bill charged $2 more for the wine than the list indicated). We'd have walked out at that point, but we had guests. We live partly in France and know fine restaurants there and in NY. This is not even a good restaurant.
- Telepan sets a high standardFasitaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Bill Telepan is a gifted thoughtful and generous chef. His restaurants reflect his personality, quietly elegant. The food on your plate is just as delicious as the large Hollywood style photos of glamorous vegetable are beautiful.Telepan was the first to highlight local and season foods a now popular trend.I don't know of another white tablecloth restaurant that's so relaxed like wearing well polished boots with your best dress rather than teetering pumps. This makes the whole experience very pleasant. I'd like to single out the front of the house staff for praise. We changed the time of our reservation 3 times (Yom Kipper). They were polite thoughtful and intelligent. Being treated like gold ensures the loyalty Telepan's cooking deserves.Special Features:
- Expensive but deliciousEltonfanDined on 10/4/2014Mani mani special was succulent! Beet pierogies were amazing! Too bad the portions are small and the price so high.Special Features:
- Almost thereJustFolksVIPDined on 10/1/2014Excellent food, beautiful surroundings, service cordial but slow. Still, one of the best in this part of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LVMummyVIPDined on 9/28/2014We were referred by a friend who is a New Yorker. She remarked it is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperaLindaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great pre opera option. Vert accommodating to food allergies. Food elegant and service is excellentSpecial Features:
- fijiVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our server, Ryan, was fine, and the food was, as always, superb. OK, we did the 4-course prix-fixe, so with tax and tip, it was inching toward $300. And we wondered. But no, once again, finally it was worth it. And of course, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodbicoastaldinerDined on 9/26/2014My husband, son, and daughter-in-law, and I enjoyed a delicious dinner here. The fish dishes were prepared to perfection. The halibut was succulent with tasty veggetables. My husband ordered his favorite, lobster bolognese, and it did not disappoint. The wine list is extensive, with many options in the mid price range (always a plus for me). For dessert, the lemon madelines, prepared for your order, were wonderful. My son loved them. I live in the neighborhood so it is great to have such a wonderful restaurant close by. And, the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllenVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was not quite as outstanding as I had remembered [from years gone by]. It was more than acceptable; especially once we were given the correct menus. Initially, we were given dinner menus for a lunch meal [ when the restaurant was not at all crowded].