505 8th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tedsbulletin.com/
- Phone: (202) 544-8337
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 7:00am - 10:30pm Sunday 8:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Eric Brannon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ted's Bulletin
'This Capitol Hill diner (on Barracks Row near Eastern Market) is a clever nod to a bygone era. Owners Mark and Ty Neal--also behind D.C.'s Matchbox restaurants--named the joint after their father, a West Virginian who was the unofficial "cook of the neighborhood." The old-timey throwback feels like the real deal here; art deco details, like carved marble door frames and metal air vents, are salvaged from the Philadelphia Civic Center circa 1928. Tables--salvaged former doors--are set with folded dish rags and a newspaper-like menu that features comfort food classics such as milkshakes, meatloaf and grilled cheese with tomato soup. Breakfast items such as short stack pancakes and home-made pop tarts are served all day. '- Lauren Sloat at CitysearchContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Ted's Bulletin - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Ted's Bulletin reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (7)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- SolidDivaDinerDined on 10/13/2014It took awhile to get our food, but it was prepared the way we had asked and tasted good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 10/7/2014Great comfort food. A colleague and I went for breakfast. She had an egg and a pop tart, both of which she enjoyed. I had the yogurt parfait, which was far better than I was expecting, and a shake, which is always good. Service was fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A go-to for meWWCGetawayVIPDined on 9/29/2014I have been several times to this location. I am never disappointed with the food or service. Definitely make a reservation as the lines can get pretty long on weekends or at traditional meal times.Special Features:
- Not a breakfast placeYolandaDined on 9/11/2014I came because of glowing reviews, but was underwhelmed by the breakfast selection. The food was okay, but seemed a bit overpriced for what it was. $17 for breakfast and coffee is a bit much. I'd recommend going for lunch instead.Special Features:
- Good food, Excellent ServiceNewUrbanistVIPDined on 8/12/2014I invited an out-of-town guest to join me for dinner at Ted's Bulletin in Barracks Row. When my infant daughter knocked over my delicious Heath and almond malt, the waiter Jaime wouldn't let it ruin my dinner. He cleaned up the mess, which was everywhere, and got me a new malt before I could even think about it. That's great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique deliciousness!EtjsingerVIPDined on 8/7/2014I had friends visiting from San Diego, and we were all intrigued by the homemade poptarts. They were delicious- we tried the strawberry, the blueberry cheesecake, and the brown sugar and cinnamon- all were DELICIOUS! The burgers were also wonderful. I tried the bacon peanut butter burger and it was wonderful! The milkshakes were also tasty and good sized. It was a great experience overall!Special Features:
- Must in DCRegioDined on 7/28/2014Great food in a marvelous ambience. Located in a very nice neighborhood, this place should not be missed on every trip to DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 534 reviews are from the Ted's Bulletin reviews archive.
- Good Business BreakfastBusinessDinerVIPDined on 7/18/2014Excellent place for a weekday morning breakfast near Capitol Hill. Need some lighter options, but the food is good. Great for working lunch as well.Special Features:
- Home style cookinRoute66FlyerDined on 7/7/2014Great staff, Great home style food at reasonable prices. Eat like a local!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poptarts!Begood2urselfDined on 7/1/2014We enjoyed this fun restaurant with homemade poptarts and nostalgia. The breakfast was delicious and the staff was very nice. We thought the peanut butter bacon poptart was a bit dry, but really enjoyed the brown sugar cinnamon one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mocomomVIPDined on 7/1/2014perfunctory service. Bagel was stale and hard. Not impressive.
- Great BreakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014We really enjoyed our breakfast. Very cool little place with great food.Special Features:
- The basics done right7hom7homVIPDined on 6/17/2014Top notch ingredients. Pastrami without gristle. Hamburgers that appear to be shaped onsite. The chicken fried steak is the best I've ever had. Fries are okay but more than made up for. I've done brunch before. Hashbrowns are very good. This was an Arena preshow dinner on Tuesday. Sat at 5.30. Left at 7.00. Made 7.30p showtime. Worked out to be a great substitute for dinner at The Pier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous French ToastMocha13VIPDined on 6/8/2014Went for Sunday breakfast. The French Toast was light and full of flavor. Enjoyed it with bacon and home fries. Will definitely return for breakfast again! The server paid the right amount of attention to our needs. She was quite helpful in providing options for my dining partner's desire for steak and eggs. It was very busy. Glad that I made a reservation. Was able to bypass the long line and be seated immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Very cool place with great food! Make sure to try the pop tarts... Regret not getting a few to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm & Charmingwaited2longDined on 5/31/2014After hearing about Ted's for several years, I finally went. The atmosphere as i ate breakfast was cute, warm and charming just as I had heard. My pop tart was good the next day too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service.behmer321Dined on 5/29/2014We heard mixed reviews about Ted's but figured we'd check it out and we were SO glad we did. From the moment we walked in the staff let you know that they were thrilled you were there. Our waitress was adorable and so attentive. Food was fantastic, milkshakes were amazing, and I don't care if you're not hungry for dessert after eating...get a pop tart!!! Homemade and amazing! Also...helps that there is a full bar after a day of sight seeing with the family ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never A MissBDBanksDined on 5/22/2014Simply put... ....Ted's is fantastic for everyone no matter what your food taste. Your taste buds will thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2014Loved the decor and theme of the restaurant. The strawberry pop tart was excellent, and my leftover bit tasted great still after a day in the fridge. I was disappointed by the TUBS brunch entree - great flavor (love the sausage), but too greasy for my liking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but ...2BumsDined on 5/17/2014Make a reservation and have plenty of time to kill. Food was excellent, but extremely slow service. We were seated right away, but it took over an hour and a half for three people to have breakfast on a Sat morning. Too long ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY GOOD!BisonDined on 5/12/2014Ted's Bulletin was good as always! I've never had a bad meal or bad service there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nats DinnerChumlee54Dined on 5/7/2014We actually walked to Teds, from Nats park. Got a little turned around, but finally found it! It was well worth the walk. We had a fantastic waiter, his name was Glen. He went over the menu with us in detail, brought us some ice cold water that we really needed after the walk, and was a pleasure to talk to. He brought us some homemade poptarts that were on the house, which, by the way, were far and above the real thing. I had a turkey burger, and baked beans. My wife had the country fried steak. The food was hot, appealing, and very tasty. Portions are generous. We really enjoyed our dinner at Teds Bulletin, and a big thanks to Glen for making it great! I would recommend Ted's to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jme11Dined on 5/5/2014We had breakfast and it was delicious. Our waiter was great , I regret that I can't remember his name. Will highly recommend to friends/family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014Overall great experience, this was my first visit and everyone from the floor Manager, servers, and even Kitchen Manager were friendly and attentive to guests needs. Our meals, multigrain oatmeal and cheesy grits with an omelette, were prepared perfectly, and I look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Basically Chuck-E-CheeseaedineDined on 5/1/2014I brought my parents and grandparents here as I thought they would enjoy the setting and more home style menu, but the restraunt was full of parents letting their kids run wild, literally throwing food. The booth behind a was also full of toddlers, and the parents let them sit up and lean over our booth to watch the tv they had going. In addition, I tried to order beer but after being told that three selections we're not available I just have up. Overall a horrible experience. My wife had to go wait outside before the check was even delivered because the noise was unbearable.Special Features:
- Great except for the serviceCindyVIPDined on 4/24/2014Took 20 mins before we were given coffee. Had to ask to order twice, didn't get to order until we'd been there 25-30 mins. The only time the server was friendly was when she gave us the bill. But the food, as always, was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just doesn't disappointStevieVDined on 4/18/2014This place is fantastic, if your considering it, just bite the bullet! Get a home made pop tart, the classic egg sandwich and an adult shake and call it a day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and so Fun!alupoDined on 4/15/2014Every single thing we ordered was incredible....from the country fried steak to the mac and cheese to the milkshakes that followed. However, the homemade pop tarts that we took to go for breakfast the next morning in EVERY FLAVOR were the treat that topped it all!!Special Features:
- Fun place in the neighborhoodhappycamperDined on 4/14/2014There's a reason it's so hard to get into Ted's Bulletin. We have a number of good pubs, but there is really nothing else quite like it on Capitol Hill. Classic American diner food in an extensive and varied menu and very good service make it a great destination for a casual meal. Do not miss the milkshakes!Special Features:
- Awesome staffMulkDined on 4/14/2014I made a mistake and booked a reservation a day later. The host was so incredibly understanding- as we had our 6 yo with us. We had to wait a little while but not nearly as long as we would have if we just walked in the door. Great customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homemade pop tarts! Need I say moreDC2NYDined on 4/14/2014Had a great breakfast with the family! Loved the homemade pop tarts. We had peanut butter with bacon and blueberry cheesecake. Highly recommend Ted's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall goodDelightDined on 4/13/2014Overall we had a nice brunch experience at Teds Bulletin . We did however have a bit of a wait for a table. We made a reservation on Open table 2 days ahead of time and when we called they said they did not take reservations online. Why is open table on there website then? Food was great and service was very good. They just need to take the open table reservation off the website.Special Features:
- Great breakfast placeKateDined on 4/11/2014French toast was delicious. Home made pop tarts were a must try. Service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off day perhaps..consistency is keyWeddingday1Dined on 4/7/2014When booking the reservation I mentioned that we were coming to celebrate a wedding that had just taken pace at 10AM. When we arrived, we waited for the Maître D to arrive, and when she did, she had a scowl on her face, and wasn't very warm or welcoming. It was raining and chilly on April 7, 2014, but still no excuse for her attitude...she should've called off that day. There was no recognition of the fact that we were there celebrating a wedding, even though I mentioned it on the Open Table reservation form. We were seated at 11AM, order was taken at 11:15AM, but the food arrived after 1230PM for a party of 8 with no apology, and several incorrect orders. The restaurant wasn't busy, and they seemed to be adequately staffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded for BrunchamahkamovDined on 4/6/2014Food is good here for brunch..mimosas are pretty overpriced compared to other brunch hot spots in DC. This location is entirely too crowded to enjoy eating inside on the weekend.Special Features:
- Great Opening Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014The adult milkshakes were amazing and topped off with a homemade pop tart....perfect breakfast. It was a bit crowded since it was opening day but everyone was accommodated and left with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!Zac7hDined on 3/30/2014Food was awesome. Try a homemade pop tart, even if it's just for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the Greek salad, whichOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2014I had the Greek salad, which was unfortunately, more lettuce than anything else. I also had the cheddar grits, which were delicious and made up for the Greek salad. However, Ted's had plenty of other menu items I would be interested in trying. It's a great place to watch food go by and wish you had ordered whatever just passed by instead. My friend had the Cali club and enjoyed every last bite, especially the bread. We both look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I took my children on theOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/21/2014I took my children on the rec of a friend who lives in the area, and none of us were disappointed. We were there for breakfast and I left wanting to come back to try other offerings. Ted's Bulletin is along the lines of an upscale diner, so the food was good, fast and fresh. The noise and energy level were on a diner scale: a little noisy, fast and service but none of those things should keep you from coming. This is what I would expect from a diner for breakfast.Special Features:
- Just OK this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/17/2014Ted's was just OK this time, which was something of a bummer. It was St. Patrick's Day and my birthday, so I was looking forward to some fun and festive treats but there was nothing special that night. The meal was fine. The milkshake was divine. And, our server gave us free pop tarts to go for my birthday, which was really nice! The whole experience was just a bit lackluster for a holiday/birthday dinner. It was much more fun last year! I would also encourage the owners not to lose focus on the flagship, given their new locations.Special Features: