Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street
1818 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tedsbulletin14thstreet.com/
- Phone: (202) 265-8337
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 7:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street
'Owners Mark and Ty Neal--also behind D.C.'s Matchbox restaurants--named the joint after their father, a West Virginian who was the unofficial "cook of the neighborhood." The old-timey throwback feels… like the real deal here; art deco details, like carved marble door frames and metal air vents, are salvaged from the Philadelphia Civic Center circa 1928. Tables--salvaged former doors--are set with folded dish rags and a newspaper-like menu that features comfort food classics such as milkshakes, meatloaf and grilled cheese with tomato soup. Breakfast items such as short stack pancakes and home-made pop tarts are served all day. '- Lauren Sloat at Citysearch about 8th St location.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (53)neighborhood gem (48)great for lunch (43)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (31)kid-friendly (29)hot spot (27)late-night find (10)special occasion (10)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (4)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great SpotBC12Dined on 11/7/2014Awesome menu and super friendly staff. Definitely worth it to plan in advance and get a reservation to eat here.Special Features:
- Breakfast : Nov 6 2014JeffVIPDined on 11/6/2014The breakfast at Ted's Bulletin is relatively simple. However, the place bakes its own pop tarts, doughnuts and cookies.
- Nice spotfoodie8heartDined on 11/4/2014Great milkshakes- millionaire malt is by far the best! I had their veggie burger which was REALLY tasty.Special Features:
- Diner DecadenceAmyHVIPDined on 11/4/2014If you want fun, plentiful food, then Ted's Bulletin is the place for you. Don't go for a mundane omelette (which by the way could have used some salt), you need to try one of the decadent choices available on the menu. Milkshakes are worth the calories and can be shared by everyone at the table. The waiter made it very easy on us. The hamburgers, grilled cheese and tomato soup were outstanding choices. Make sure you arrive hungry and ready to try some fun food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirstimpressionVIPDined on 11/4/2014Ted's bulletin is a very consistent restaurant. You can always count on the food and service being the same, good!Special Features:
- meh..FilomenaDined on 10/31/2014Was looking forward to here for awhile. When friends came to visit I took them there for lunch. Made reservations and plans to meet them there. Friends arrived on time told staff the reservation was under my name and were seated. I arrived a few minutes later, only to be told that my party had not arrived. I knew this to not be true because I had received several text messages. After phone calls etc. turns out my friends had been there all along. Staff did nothing to rectify the mistake. Moreover, they seated us in an noisy part of the restaurant. It was so bad we asked to be moved. Unacceptable considering it was empty. Except for our waiter Adi--who was exceptional. Food is mediocre and the service, well meh. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- Might be rushed!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Website said open until 11:00 pm and last seating was at 10:30pm. We were a little late for 10:15 reservation at 10:20, and they stated numerous times that kitchen was closing at 10:30. They were serious so we rushed and ordered. Food was unique and great! I asked to buy a gift card when we left at 11:00 but was told that "all the machines were already turned off," and I couldn't get one. Not cool!Special Features:
- Comfort Food - Yum Yum!DebyVIPDined on 10/21/2014Nothing better on a rainy, cold evening than meat loaf, tater tots, chicken parmesean, red wine…! Warm and friendly service and delicious food made for a super evening. And the rain had stopped by the time we left!! Great!Special Features:
- Great Breakfast SpotDRJBGDined on 10/18/2014If you want a great breakfast experience in DC, this is the place to go.Special Features:
- COMFORT Food & MUCH more!Love2EatDined on 10/16/2014Friendly staff, FAST service, GREAT food! Themed supper specials, Thursday is TV dinner which hubby enjoyed. Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes w/gravy, braised green beans w/bacon, creamed corn, & 2 donut holes served on a tray. Not like any TV dinner he had, yet reminded him fondly of childhood, m-m-m-Good. I had the Alabama smoked chicken w/white gravy, tangy mayo sauce not gravy; bacon blue cheese Brussels (LOVED THEM), & tater tots (used the sauce on the tots) Yummy! Desserts are OVER the top, hubby had mile high carrot cake, & BEST he EVER ate!! Banana cream pie for me, my childhood memory, scrumptious! Wish we had found them sooner wanted to tray a shake & poptart!Special Features:
- travelingdinerDined on 10/6/2014This is comfort food at it's best! We are visiting from California and came in for dinner with our kids late one evening. We were not disappointed! We ordered breakfast for dinner and everything tasted great. I had the corned beef hash and the corned beef was so good we decided to come back another day to have the Rueben. Our boys couldn't say enough about their food: scrambled eggs just tasted better; pop tart was amazing; french toast was delicious; and the milk shakes were the best. The second night we had the Reuben. Their corned beef is truly the best we have ever had. The chicken pot pie had so much flavor and the crust was was really good (and I am very picky about crust.) The service both nights was fantastic. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visitlafletchDined on 10/6/2014After a quick google search this place showed up at the top of the lists so I had to try it. I was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulReviewer1VIPDined on 9/27/2014Love this place, always have. I live in New York and I'm still scheming to franchise one here! This place rocksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OnTheRoadwithAlexDined on 9/22/2014I always enjoy Ted's...I love the 14th Street locale...easier than the Hill. I love the new lighter portions on the menu. If I eat one of those, I don't have to feel as guilty about the boozy milkshake!Special Features:
- hangover cureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Had a a great lunch/breakfast with a close friend...cool fun restaurant, food is great! LOVE the Bananas Foster adult milkshake! What more is there in life?Special Features:
- Great choiceab3314VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food here was out of this world. Homemade pop-tarts were to die for. Definitely a great spot for breakfast/brunch. They had an old movie playing and the theme of the restaurant was great. My only complaint was that the restaurant wasn't that busy and our service was pretty horrible. Two waiters stood in front of our table while arguing about which one would take our table and then the one who took it was never there to get us what we needed. Still was a great place to eat though!Special Features:
- Noisy Reluctant to ChangeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014We had an early reservation and were seated in the far corner between parties with children. The child behind us was very loud and disruptive. When we asked the server to change our table she appeared miffed and reluctant to do so. Her first comment was that if she could arrange a different table she would not be our server. The restaurant was about 20 percent ful
- Specialty Pop-TartsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014In house made POP-TARTS! The food was great and not too expensive. They were super kid friendly to my 2 year old and loved her reaction to the Mr. Breakfast (giant pancake with a face).Special Features:
- Perfect choicePricelessDined on 9/6/2014I had reservation for 8:45am on a Saturday morning. The staff was great, the food was fresh. It was my BFF birthday and unexpected our server brings our their homemade pop tarts with candles... It was priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun birthday spotkitkittyDined on 9/3/2014My friends and I enjoyed celebrating a birthday here. The waitress even brought her one of the homemade poptarts with a candle (so make sure you tell them if it's someone's birthday!). Food was yummy and a bit pricey, but the portions were generous.Special Features:
- Keep the bakeryghawk16VIPDined on 8/29/2014Bad service. We were told out waitress would be a minute as she was talking to the manager. Really? Don't sit me there or find someone else. It was clear when she showed up she was not happy. Forgot parts of meal and had to track her down for check. God was average at best. However, the bakery is amazing.
- Always greatDrewVIPDined on 8/27/2014Ted's is consistently good. Good vibe about it, we love taking out-of-town guests there. Try a grown-up shake!
- Extremely loud. Average food.RpdcDined on 8/20/2014Comfort food much better at founding farmers with much better service. Did not even stay for dessert was so ready to get out of there with noise level.
- A Birthday at Ted's BulletinRP2014Dined on 8/19/2014Looked forward to coming here for a birthday dinner. The first thing we noticed was how incredibly loud the restaurant was; we sat down to dinner at 8:15pm on a Tuesday and had to shout to hear one another throughout our dinner. It finally quieted down around 9:45pm when we were leaving. The ambience reminds you of an old-time diner; I like the decorative touches and signage. Our food took a while to arrive but it was tasty, although my fiance commented that his mashed potatoes reminded him of KFC. Rave reviews for their fun milkshake menu and retro desserts. Would appreciate a few more veg friendly meal options on the menu. All in all would return, but feel more inclined to frequent their smaller and quieter Capitol Hill location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy experienceDymo35Dined on 8/13/2014The place is nice, but the food is ok. If you wanna have a conversation go somewhere else, because you can rarely speak there. Super noisy. An acoustic work should be done there. Great waiters though!Special Features:
- Wonderful, except...BilliamVIPDined on 8/7/2014The noise level was un enjoyable. We had been wanting to try this restaurant, so made a reservation (recommended). We liked the design and look of the restaurant. The food was very tasty with interesting flavors. If you are stimulated by a high noise level, then you will enjoy Ted's Bulletin.Special Features:
- Great service!samsamDined on 8/6/2014The manager was extremly prompt and eager to make up for a badly cooked dish. He explained how the restaurant had fixed the problem for the future and gave us a free piece of (sinfully delicious) chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotErinDined on 8/5/2014The comfort food here is always consistent. Every dish is always good...the only dilemma is whether to have breakfast or dinner because breakfast is served all day. And get the pop tarts, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- luv2eatVIPDined on 8/4/2014We keep returning to Ted's Bulletin. The food, service and quality for the money spen eating out are great.Special Features:
- A DC favoriteromanticdinerDined on 8/1/2014Whenever friends come in town to visit, Ted's is always on the agenda. The food is great and the service is always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 95 reviews are from the Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street reviews archive.
- TerrificPalisadesDined on 7/23/2014Charming and with excellent food. Makes you want to have breakfast lunch or dinner there every day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!Food4thoughtDined on 7/20/2014This is a great place for locals and tourists. The menu was quite broad with plenty of variety, both food and beverage. Service was outstanding- knowledgeable, prompt and pleasant. Our food was delicious! This is a place to go for a good time; the noise level is not conducive to serious or deep discussion. We hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old time feelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014I love Ted's...great Peanut butter Bacon Burger, the shakes are good...$18 for Burger, Adult Shake (alcohol in them) and fries, in DC on Tuesday nights...of course the homemade poptarts are a must! Love the old time feel...the noise level can be a bit much but this place is a gem! Love the 14th Street and origional Capitol Hill location...Special Features:
- I love everything on the menuyphdiningVIPDined on 7/14/2014I have never had a bad meal at Ted's Bulletin. My favorites: Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup, Burger's without the bun (my way of ordering) and a salad that will soon join their new menu (spinach, grilled onions, blue cheese crumbs and I forgot the type of dressing) and my all time favorite is the blueberry pop tart. I am actually typing this review while flying to Miami and I cannot wait to return for another pop tartSpecial Features:
- Great SpotBearVIPDined on 7/14/2014We are new in DC, and this was our first visit, but not our last. Our granddaughter was with us, and she loved it, too Great food, with large portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitress bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/10/2014First time going for dinner here with a friend. Good waitress, had to wait for apetizers forever. Order meatloaf that was soak on ketchup and you taste more the ketchup than the meat. My fried asked for a fry and fries were soggy and drenched in oil as all the reat of her meal.
- An OK breakfast experienceReynoldsVIPDined on 7/10/2014Great looking restaurant! I was in for breakfast with a friend. I order the omelet which arrived looking and tasting like something warmed from the freezer. It came with two small links sausages and hash browns (no toast). I then ordered some cornbread...terrific!! I had ordered the hash browns dark and that they were...both bites. VERY small portion. So, perhaps the other meals are better...but, skip breakfast there.
- Love breakfast at Ted's!JEinDCVIPDined on 7/10/2014Altho' the music coulda been a bit less noisy (the restaurant gets really noisy easily) the breakfast was great and being able to substitute was so nice. Love the little booths - cozy and comfy. Love the food. It's just good.Special Features:
- Fun CafeMarthaVIPDined on 7/9/2014I love Ted's. The milkshakes, poptarts, mixtures of peanut butter and bacon...it is a great place. I usually go here for brunch (which I love) but I had family in town with kids of a range of ages. Everyone enjoyed Ted's and we had a great meal.Special Features:
- Excellent comfort food!Becbec36Dined on 7/9/2014Ted's Bulletin is as fabulous as I had heard from family and friends. The milkshakes are to die for! I ordered the famous grilled cheese and tomato soup which absolutely hit the spot. I'm sure the rest of the menu is just as good! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.