Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street
1818 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tedsbulletin14thstreet.com/
- Phone: 2022658337
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 7:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street
'Owners Mark and Ty Neal--also behind D.C.'s Matchbox restaurants--named the joint after their father, a West Virginian who was the unofficial "cook of the neighborhood." The old-timey throwback feels… like the real deal here; art deco details, like carved marble door frames and metal air vents, are salvaged from the Philadelphia Civic Center circa 1928. Tables--salvaged former doors--are set with folded dish rags and a newspaper-like menu that features comfort food classics such as milkshakes, meatloaf and grilled cheese with tomato soup. Breakfast items such as short stack pancakes and home-made pop tarts are served all day. '- Lauren Sloat at Citysearch about 8th St location.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (62)neighborhood gem (57)great for lunch (49)good for groups (44)kid-friendly (44)hot spot (34)fit for foodies (30)late-night find (16)special occasion (15)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (4)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- COMFORT Food & MUCH more!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Friendly staff, FAST service, GREAT food! Themed supper specials, Thursday is TV dinner which hubby enjoyed. Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes w/gravy, braised green beans w/bacon, creamed corn, & 2 donut holes served on a tray. Not like any TV dinner he had, yet reminded him fondly of childhood, m-m-m-Good. I had the Alabama smoked chicken w/white gravy, tangy mayo sauce not gravy; bacon blue cheese Brussels (LOVED THEM), & tater tots (used the sauce on the tots) Yummy! Desserts are OVER the top, hubby had mile high carrot cake, & BEST he EVER ate!! Banana cream pie for me, my childhood memory, scrumptious! Wish we had found them sooner wanted to tray a shake & poptart!Special Features:
- travelingdinerDined on 10/6/2014This is comfort food at it's best! We are visiting from California and came in for dinner with our kids late one evening. We were not disappointed! We ordered breakfast for dinner and everything tasted great. I had the corned beef hash and the corned beef was so good we decided to come back another day to have the Rueben. Our boys couldn't say enough about their food: scrambled eggs just tasted better; pop tart was amazing; french toast was delicious; and the milk shakes were the best. The second night we had the Reuben. Their corned beef is truly the best we have ever had. The chicken pot pie had so much flavor and the crust was was really good (and I am very picky about crust.) The service both nights was fantastic. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visitlafletchDined on 10/6/2014After a quick google search this place showed up at the top of the lists so I had to try it. I was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulReviewer1VIPDined on 9/27/2014Love this place, always have. I live in New York and I'm still scheming to franchise one here! This place rocksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OnTheRoadwithAlexDined on 9/22/2014I always enjoy Ted's...I love the 14th Street locale...easier than the Hill. I love the new lighter portions on the menu. If I eat one of those, I don't have to feel as guilty about the boozy milkshake!Special Features:
- hangover cureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Had a a great lunch/breakfast with a close friend...cool fun restaurant, food is great! LOVE the Bananas Foster adult milkshake! What more is there in life?Special Features:
- Great choiceab3314VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food here was out of this world. Homemade pop-tarts were to die for. Definitely a great spot for breakfast/brunch. They had an old movie playing and the theme of the restaurant was great. My only complaint was that the restaurant wasn't that busy and our service was pretty horrible. Two waiters stood in front of our table while arguing about which one would take our table and then the one who took it was never there to get us what we needed. Still was a great place to eat though!Special Features:
- Noisy Reluctant to ChangeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014We had an early reservation and were seated in the far corner between parties with children. The child behind us was very loud and disruptive. When we asked the server to change our table she appeared miffed and reluctant to do so. Her first comment was that if she could arrange a different table she would not be our server. The restaurant was about 20 percent ful
- Specialty Pop-TartsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014In house made POP-TARTS! The food was great and not too expensive. They were super kid friendly to my 2 year old and loved her reaction to the Mr. Breakfast (giant pancake with a face).Special Features:
- Perfect choicePricelessDined on 9/6/2014I had reservation for 8:45am on a Saturday morning. The staff was great, the food was fresh. It was my BFF birthday and unexpected our server brings our their homemade pop tarts with candles... It was priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun birthday spotkitkittyDined on 9/3/2014My friends and I enjoyed celebrating a birthday here. The waitress even brought her one of the homemade poptarts with a candle (so make sure you tell them if it's someone's birthday!). Food was yummy and a bit pricey, but the portions were generous.Special Features:
- Keep the bakeryghawk16VIPDined on 8/29/2014Bad service. We were told out waitress would be a minute as she was talking to the manager. Really? Don't sit me there or find someone else. It was clear when she showed up she was not happy. Forgot parts of meal and had to track her down for check. God was average at best. However, the bakery is amazing.
- Extremely loud. Average food.RpdcDined on 8/20/2014Comfort food much better at founding farmers with much better service. Did not even stay for dessert was so ready to get out of there with noise level.
- A Birthday at Ted's BulletinRP2014Dined on 8/19/2014Looked forward to coming here for a birthday dinner. The first thing we noticed was how incredibly loud the restaurant was; we sat down to dinner at 8:15pm on a Tuesday and had to shout to hear one another throughout our dinner. It finally quieted down around 9:45pm when we were leaving. The ambience reminds you of an old-time diner; I like the decorative touches and signage. Our food took a while to arrive but it was tasty, although my fiance commented that his mashed potatoes reminded him of KFC. Rave reviews for their fun milkshake menu and retro desserts. Would appreciate a few more veg friendly meal options on the menu. All in all would return, but feel more inclined to frequent their smaller and quieter Capitol Hill location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy experienceDymo35Dined on 8/13/2014The place is nice, but the food is ok. If you wanna have a conversation go somewhere else, because you can rarely speak there. Super noisy. An acoustic work should be done there. Great waiters though!Special Features:
- Wonderful, except...BilliamVIPDined on 8/7/2014The noise level was un enjoyable. We had been wanting to try this restaurant, so made a reservation (recommended). We liked the design and look of the restaurant. The food was very tasty with interesting flavors. If you are stimulated by a high noise level, then you will enjoy Ted's Bulletin.Special Features:
- Great service!samsamDined on 8/6/2014The manager was extremly prompt and eager to make up for a badly cooked dish. He explained how the restaurant had fixed the problem for the future and gave us a free piece of (sinfully delicious) chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotErinDined on 8/5/2014The comfort food here is always consistent. Every dish is always good...the only dilemma is whether to have breakfast or dinner because breakfast is served all day. And get the pop tarts, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- luv2eatVIPDined on 8/4/2014We keep returning to Ted's Bulletin. The food, service and quality for the money spen eating out are great.Special Features:
- A DC favoriteromanticdinerDined on 8/1/2014Whenever friends come in town to visit, Ted's is always on the agenda. The food is great and the service is always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificPalisadesDined on 7/23/2014Charming and with excellent food. Makes you want to have breakfast lunch or dinner there every day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!Food4thoughtDined on 7/20/2014This is a great place for locals and tourists. The menu was quite broad with plenty of variety, both food and beverage. Service was outstanding- knowledgeable, prompt and pleasant. Our food was delicious! This is a place to go for a good time; the noise level is not conducive to serious or deep discussion. We hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old time feelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014I love Ted's...great Peanut butter Bacon Burger, the shakes are good...$18 for Burger, Adult Shake (alcohol in them) and fries, in DC on Tuesday nights...of course the homemade poptarts are a must! Love the old time feel...the noise level can be a bit much but this place is a gem! Love the 14th Street and origional Capitol Hill location...Special Features:
- I love everything on the menuyphdiningVIPDined on 7/14/2014I have never had a bad meal at Ted's Bulletin. My favorites: Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup, Burger's without the bun (my way of ordering) and a salad that will soon join their new menu (spinach, grilled onions, blue cheese crumbs and I forgot the type of dressing) and my all time favorite is the blueberry pop tart. I am actually typing this review while flying to Miami and I cannot wait to return for another pop tartSpecial Features:
- Great SpotBearVIPDined on 7/14/2014We are new in DC, and this was our first visit, but not our last. Our granddaughter was with us, and she loved it, too Great food, with large portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitress bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/10/2014First time going for dinner here with a friend. Good waitress, had to wait for apetizers forever. Order meatloaf that was soak on ketchup and you taste more the ketchup than the meat. My fried asked for a fry and fries were soggy and drenched in oil as all the reat of her meal.
- An OK breakfast experienceReynoldsVIPDined on 7/10/2014Great looking restaurant! I was in for breakfast with a friend. I order the omelet which arrived looking and tasting like something warmed from the freezer. It came with two small links sausages and hash browns (no toast). I then ordered some cornbread...terrific!! I had ordered the hash browns dark and that they were...both bites. VERY small portion. So, perhaps the other meals are better...but, skip breakfast there.
- Love breakfast at Ted's!JEinDCVIPDined on 7/10/2014Altho' the music coulda been a bit less noisy (the restaurant gets really noisy easily) the breakfast was great and being able to substitute was so nice. Love the little booths - cozy and comfy. Love the food. It's just good.Special Features:
- Fun CafeMarthaVIPDined on 7/9/2014I love Ted's. The milkshakes, poptarts, mixtures of peanut butter and bacon...it is a great place. I usually go here for brunch (which I love) but I had family in town with kids of a range of ages. Everyone enjoyed Ted's and we had a great meal.Special Features:
- Excellent comfort food!Becbec36Dined on 7/9/2014Ted's Bulletin is as fabulous as I had heard from family and friends. The milkshakes are to die for! I ordered the famous grilled cheese and tomato soup which absolutely hit the spot. I'm sure the rest of the menu is just as good! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Ted's Bulletin 14th St.AJPNDCVIPDined on 7/8/2014Great food, great décor and great service. Love that blueberry cheesecake pop tart!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014I wasn't impressed. I'll say up front that I'm a vegetarian and know full well that diners often offer limited vegetarian options. (And that's what Ted's is, a high-concept diner.) I had checked the menu online beforehand and was satisfied with the couple of options available. One of them turned out to be much more food than what I wanted for lunch, so I opted for a basic omelet. To be blunt, the egg tasted like rubber and the filling (spinach and mushrooms) was pretty skimpy. The hash browns were fine, although a small portion given the price of the meal. Our server was very attentive and I didn't want to distract from the conversation with my friend, so I didn't complain. She enjoyed her grilled cheese and tomato soup.
- BreakfasttattooedfoodDined on 6/29/2014I love that they serve breakfast all day. This won me from the beginning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New favorite DC eateryDJRR2014Dined on 6/26/2014The selling point for me is the breakfast all day. The menu has a wide selection that will keep me coming back to find a favorite dish. This was my second visit and or server Le'Naiya took such great care of us, I will try to only return when she is working. The deserts are different and great. I have told anyone who asks about "Where should we go to eat" about Teds on 14th - A+Special Features:
- The following 81 reviews are from the Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street reviews archive.
- Great addition on 14th St. NW!AJPNDCVIPDined on 6/21/2014This was my first visit after hearing about this place from a neighbor. It's a family-style diner restaurant that's very popular and when you go, you'll see why. They're extremely flexible e.g., the pancakes are large and come 3 in a stack. I ordered one and asked if they had banana pancakes and the server told me no but could insert bananas into the pancake batter. I also ordered 3 scrambled eggs with white cheddar and their great applewood bacon. No trip here is complete without ordering their homemade pop tart with a puff pastry. You'll never want a Kellog's pop tart again after tasting it. :)Special Features:
- 14 St., NW Fundluv2eatVIPDined on 6/20/2014We brought our friend from NYC for dinner on Friday night. The food was very good, the service was fine and the ambiance is really fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/20/2014great breakfast options, Food taste was wonderful and quantity was appropriateSpecial Features:
- Get the SammyJmarmolinaVIPDined on 6/19/2014I admit, I didn't get the sammy, I settled for a burger. My date got the sammy and for the life of me I can't get the full name of it as the website for Ted's on 14th seems to be down, but I remember it was the tastiest thing I've tried in a while and my boyfriend and I have referenced it at least 3 times since we've been there. On a side note - the PB Burger (also, the name escapes me) was strange but really delicious. Somehow the peanut butter and the tomato jam really work for a unique tasting that I'd also opt to try again -- that is if the sammy wasn't available!Special Features:
- Bulletin Ted can cook!RichardDined on 6/19/2014I've eaten at Ted's several times and each time it was great. The food is comfort food, with a modern twist. An informal ambiance conducive to relaxed conversation. It's a great place for brunch on weekends, but I would strongly suggest reservations. If you love a good milkshake, you will find there adult shakes to be the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumBelliottVIPDined on 6/15/2014I had the short rib sammy and it was just delicious. But you can't really go wrong with a sandwich on Texas toast, can you? And the peanut butter, banana, and chocolate shake couldn't be beat either. A little noisy, but what restaurant isn't these days?Special Features: