Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street
1818 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tedsbulletin14thstreet.com/
- Phone: 2022658337
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 7:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street
'Owners Mark and Ty Neal--also behind D.C.'s Matchbox restaurants--named the joint after their father, a West Virginian who was the unofficial "cook of the neighborhood." The old-timey throwback feels… like the real deal here; art deco details, like carved marble door frames and metal air vents, are salvaged from the Philadelphia Civic Center circa 1928. Tables--salvaged former doors--are set with folded dish rags and a newspaper-like menu that features comfort food classics such as milkshakes, meatloaf and grilled cheese with tomato soup. Breakfast items such as short stack pancakes and home-made pop tarts are served all day. '- Lauren Sloat at Citysearch about 8th St location.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (71)neighborhood gem (64)great for lunch (59)kid-friendly (56)good for groups (52)fit for foodies (37)hot spot (35)late-night find (20)special occasion (16)vibrant bar scene (9)romantic (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Extremely loud. Average food.RpdcDined on 8/20/2014Comfort food much better at founding farmers with much better service. Did not even stay for dessert was so ready to get out of there with noise level.
- A Birthday at Ted's BulletinRP2014Dined on 8/19/2014Looked forward to coming here for a birthday dinner. The first thing we noticed was how incredibly loud the restaurant was; we sat down to dinner at 8:15pm on a Tuesday and had to shout to hear one another throughout our dinner. It finally quieted down around 9:45pm when we were leaving. The ambience reminds you of an old-time diner; I like the decorative touches and signage. Our food took a while to arrive but it was tasty, although my fiance commented that his mashed potatoes reminded him of KFC. Rave reviews for their fun milkshake menu and retro desserts. Would appreciate a few more veg friendly meal options on the menu. All in all would return, but feel more inclined to frequent their smaller and quieter Capitol Hill location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy experienceDymo35Dined on 8/13/2014The place is nice, but the food is ok. If you wanna have a conversation go somewhere else, because you can rarely speak there. Super noisy. An acoustic work should be done there. Great waiters though!Special Features:
- Wonderful, except...BilliamDined on 8/7/2014The noise level was un enjoyable. We had been wanting to try this restaurant, so made a reservation (recommended). We liked the design and look of the restaurant. The food was very tasty with interesting flavors. If you are stimulated by a high noise level, then you will enjoy Ted's Bulletin.Special Features:
- Great service!samsamDined on 8/6/2014The manager was extremly prompt and eager to make up for a badly cooked dish. He explained how the restaurant had fixed the problem for the future and gave us a free piece of (sinfully delicious) chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotErinDined on 8/5/2014The comfort food here is always consistent. Every dish is always good...the only dilemma is whether to have breakfast or dinner because breakfast is served all day. And get the pop tarts, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- luv2eatVIPDined on 8/4/2014We keep returning to Ted's Bulletin. The food, service and quality for the money spen eating out are great.Special Features:
- A DC favoriteromanticdinerDined on 8/1/2014Whenever friends come in town to visit, Ted's is always on the agenda. The food is great and the service is always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificPalisadesDined on 7/23/2014Charming and with excellent food. Makes you want to have breakfast lunch or dinner there every day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!Food4thoughtDined on 7/20/2014This is a great place for locals and tourists. The menu was quite broad with plenty of variety, both food and beverage. Service was outstanding- knowledgeable, prompt and pleasant. Our food was delicious! This is a place to go for a good time; the noise level is not conducive to serious or deep discussion. We hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old time feelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014I love Ted's...great Peanut butter Bacon Burger, the shakes are good...$18 for Burger, Adult Shake (alcohol in them) and fries, in DC on Tuesday nights...of course the homemade poptarts are a must! Love the old time feel...the noise level can be a bit much but this place is a gem! Love the 14th Street and origional Capitol Hill location...Special Features:
- I love everything on the menuyphdiningVIPDined on 7/14/2014I have never had a bad meal at Ted's Bulletin. My favorites: Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup, Burger's without the bun (my way of ordering) and a salad that will soon join their new menu (spinach, grilled onions, blue cheese crumbs and I forgot the type of dressing) and my all time favorite is the blueberry pop tart. I am actually typing this review while flying to Miami and I cannot wait to return for another pop tartSpecial Features:
- Great SpotBearVIPDined on 7/14/2014We are new in DC, and this was our first visit, but not our last. Our granddaughter was with us, and she loved it, too Great food, with large portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitress bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/10/2014First time going for dinner here with a friend. Good waitress, had to wait for apetizers forever. Order meatloaf that was soak on ketchup and you taste more the ketchup than the meat. My fried asked for a fry and fries were soggy and drenched in oil as all the reat of her meal.
- An OK breakfast experienceReynoldsDined on 7/10/2014Great looking restaurant! I was in for breakfast with a friend. I order the omelet which arrived looking and tasting like something warmed from the freezer. It came with two small links sausages and hash browns (no toast). I then ordered some cornbread...terrific!! I had ordered the hash browns dark and that they were...both bites. VERY small portion. So, perhaps the other meals are better...but, skip breakfast there.
- Love breakfast at Ted's!JEinDCVIPDined on 7/10/2014Altho' the music coulda been a bit less noisy (the restaurant gets really noisy easily) the breakfast was great and being able to substitute was so nice. Love the little booths - cozy and comfy. Love the food. It's just good.Special Features:
- Fun CafeMarthaVIPDined on 7/9/2014I love Ted's. The milkshakes, poptarts, mixtures of peanut butter and bacon...it is a great place. I usually go here for brunch (which I love) but I had family in town with kids of a range of ages. Everyone enjoyed Ted's and we had a great meal.Special Features:
- Excellent comfort food!Becbec36Dined on 7/9/2014Ted's Bulletin is as fabulous as I had heard from family and friends. The milkshakes are to die for! I ordered the famous grilled cheese and tomato soup which absolutely hit the spot. I'm sure the rest of the menu is just as good! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Ted's Bulletin 14th St.AJPNDCVIPDined on 7/8/2014Great food, great décor and great service. Love that blueberry cheesecake pop tart!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014I wasn't impressed. I'll say up front that I'm a vegetarian and know full well that diners often offer limited vegetarian options. (And that's what Ted's is, a high-concept diner.) I had checked the menu online beforehand and was satisfied with the couple of options available. One of them turned out to be much more food than what I wanted for lunch, so I opted for a basic omelet. To be blunt, the egg tasted like rubber and the filling (spinach and mushrooms) was pretty skimpy. The hash browns were fine, although a small portion given the price of the meal. Our server was very attentive and I didn't want to distract from the conversation with my friend, so I didn't complain. She enjoyed her grilled cheese and tomato soup.
- BreakfasttattooedfoodDined on 6/29/2014I love that they serve breakfast all day. This won me from the beginning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New favorite DC eateryDJRR2014Dined on 6/26/2014The selling point for me is the breakfast all day. The menu has a wide selection that will keep me coming back to find a favorite dish. This was my second visit and or server Le'Naiya took such great care of us, I will try to only return when she is working. The deserts are different and great. I have told anyone who asks about "Where should we go to eat" about Teds on 14th - A+Special Features:
- Great addition on 14th St. NW!AJPNDCVIPDined on 6/21/2014This was my first visit after hearing about this place from a neighbor. It's a family-style diner restaurant that's very popular and when you go, you'll see why. They're extremely flexible e.g., the pancakes are large and come 3 in a stack. I ordered one and asked if they had banana pancakes and the server told me no but could insert bananas into the pancake batter. I also ordered 3 scrambled eggs with white cheddar and their great applewood bacon. No trip here is complete without ordering their homemade pop tart with a puff pastry. You'll never want a Kellog's pop tart again after tasting it. :)Special Features:
- 14 St., NW Fundluv2eatVIPDined on 6/20/2014We brought our friend from NYC for dinner on Friday night. The food was very good, the service was fine and the ambiance is really fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/20/2014great breakfast options, Food taste was wonderful and quantity was appropriateSpecial Features:
- Get the SammyJmarmolinaVIPDined on 6/19/2014I admit, I didn't get the sammy, I settled for a burger. My date got the sammy and for the life of me I can't get the full name of it as the website for Ted's on 14th seems to be down, but I remember it was the tastiest thing I've tried in a while and my boyfriend and I have referenced it at least 3 times since we've been there. On a side note - the PB Burger (also, the name escapes me) was strange but really delicious. Somehow the peanut butter and the tomato jam really work for a unique tasting that I'd also opt to try again -- that is if the sammy wasn't available!Special Features:
- Bulletin Ted can cook!RichardDined on 6/19/2014I've eaten at Ted's several times and each time it was great. The food is comfort food, with a modern twist. An informal ambiance conducive to relaxed conversation. It's a great place for brunch on weekends, but I would strongly suggest reservations. If you love a good milkshake, you will find there adult shakes to be the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumBelliottVIPDined on 6/15/2014I had the short rib sammy and it was just delicious. But you can't really go wrong with a sandwich on Texas toast, can you? And the peanut butter, banana, and chocolate shake couldn't be beat either. A little noisy, but what restaurant isn't these days?Special Features:
- Comfort Food13NWandMDined on 6/13/2014Ted's is good for indulging in comfort food. The food is flavorful and sometimes over the top. Brunch seems to be the sweet spot for Ted's. The dinner scene is less hectic. Overall, a good place that is reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent breakfastPointhoarderVIPDined on 6/13/2014Liked the eggame sandwich and the beef hash. Great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfastPointhoarderVIPDined on 6/11/2014Came for breakfast and we got excellent service at the bar. The bartender was personable and very attentive. We enjoyed the omelet and the ham and eggs. The Bloody Marys weren't bad either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great comfort food restaurantRstokcDined on 6/6/2014Located in the revitalized U street area, Ted's had a great look and feel. The food was excellent, the service was impeccable and the whole experience was great for the adults and kids. The beer menu is a little light, but other than that, no complaints. Watch out for the desserts. They are delicious, but huge. Plan on sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunchVisitingDined on 5/30/2014Any restaurant that makes their own "pop tarts" is worth checking out! They serve breakfast all day and have a large assortment of milk shakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lowkey but Delish Family Dinner OutEBLizVIPDined on 5/21/2014Whenever my dad is in town and wants something lowkey we opt for Ted's (so glad to have one on 14th now!) The food is always solid no matter what you order, but it's a more laidback and casual experience than you'll find at many of its 14th St neighbors. My fiance always opts for the meatloaf (because it's always on point), while I've done steak most often which is always on point. This time I tried the jambalaya and it was great, huge portion though, I didn't get through too much of it. The milkshakes are always fantastic, and the servers are all very friendly and attentive. All around it's a top-notch neighborhood spot that we are so happy to have just around the corner!Special Features:
- Yay for TuesdayDebbieDined on 5/20/2014The burger and shake basket on Tuesday is great! I had a colleague from London with me and they were so excited to have such an "American" dinner.Special Features:
- Good for DC VisitorsCatiFdzDined on 5/19/2014Took my aunt and uncle here for the last night in DC. They absolutely LOVED their meals (lasagna & meatloaf), shakes (strawberry-banana , and desserts (poptarts & donuts) - they went all out. I was not thrilled w/ my taco salad, it was bland and definitely not worth $13, but again I went their to dine the family, wasn't too concerned about myself since I can go back whenever and order something else - staying away from taco salad.Special Features:
- Family Brunchmdb256Dined on 5/17/2014My family was in D.C. for the first time visiting me and I wanted to treat them to a true DC brunch experience. My parents do not drink and are uncomfortable around rowdy drinkers, so I wanted to go somewhere family friendly where the food was good and the experience wasn't totally built around unlimited booze. This place was perfect! The table was nice, the place was warm and inviting, our server (I forget his name) was fantastic, attentive, and personable. Everyone told us to try the poptarts so we got one of each to share and they were delicious! My favorite is the strawberry, but my dad loved the peanut butter bacon. We also got a ton of great brunch food (best scrambled eggs I've had in D.C.) and the prices were great. A++Special Features:
- CupcakeWonkVIPDined on 5/15/2014First time at Ted's Bulletin and wanted to see what the hype was about. Lunch special (trout with salad) was good, but value did not match its price tag. Pop tart (brown sugar and cinnamon) was okay, but nothing extraordinary to write home about. Very underwhelming experience. Will not be recommending others to visit.
- boozy milkshakes!!dcdinerVIPDined on 5/6/2014This place is great for boozy milkshakes! by no means will these shakes get you drunk. Had the Grasshopper, which tasted just like mint ice cream and the Raspberry Berries which was a delight. Southwest burger was really juicy. On Tuesdays, they run a burger and boozy milkshake deal for $18.99. Great deal - go for it. Great service - recommend reserving table in advance, although it's nice to sit at the bar.Special Features:
- The total package!Crc16Dined on 5/3/2014On a busy Saturday morning, we were seated right on time with our reservation. Our server was attentive and friendly. Our food was fun and delicious. We drove 45 minutes for the anticipated experience, and loved it. My friend had a fun start to her birthday. Everything from the Swings Coffee to the Baileys milkshake was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the Ted's Bulletin - 14th Street reviews archive.