Teddy & The Bully Bar
1200 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Teddy & The Bully Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://teddyandthebullybar.com/
- Phone: 202-872-8700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm,
Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:30pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar Menu: 3pm till close
Late Night menu Available: Wed & Thu 10pm till Midnight
Fri & Sat 11pm til 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Demetrio Zavala
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jeanhe Kim 202-872-8700x
- Special Events: For private events, please email:
A word from Teddy & The Bully Bar
Welcome to Teddy and The Bully Bar, a salute to one of our most popular and gallant American Presidents, making an impressive culinary statement in Washington, DC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Teddy & The Bully Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
244 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)good for groups (95)special occasion (76)great for lunch (68)vibrant bar scene (67)great for outdoor dining (66)neighborhood gem (61)great for brunch (52)hot spot (50)romantic (29)notable wine list (12)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fantastic!GoRavensVIPDined on 9/18/2014I would definitely recommend the chef's tasting menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun night out for dinnerPhyllisDined on 9/12/2014This was a nice, lively restaurant with a very broad menu and very fresh food. It was the start of the fall menu and everything was delicious, beginning with the brussel sprouts and freshly baked corn bread right out of the oven. The staff was friendly and and made the experience enjoyable.Special Features:
- GoodnancVIPDined on 9/12/2014My second time and I enjoyed it -- food was so-so though but the rest of the experience was good. Maybe I just ordered the wrong entrée.
- Great food, not-great serviceNewtoPhillyVIPDined on 9/12/2014As long as you don't mind inattentive (slow) service, the food here is fantastic (though you may leave hungry if you get a salad - we ordered an extra chicken breast to share because the tuna nicoise was tiny). Lovely for outdoor dining at lunch, great burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/11/2014A must-go! Fantastic menu...creative, delicious, and well-priced. Server Jared was top notch-friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable about both the food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but ill-timed deliveryDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was very good, but ill timed. In our party of four, two ordered off of the "power lunch" menu (which offers an appetizer, entrée, and dessert), while the other two ordered only entrees. Surprisingly, those two entrees were delivered at the same time as the "power lunch" appetizers. The friends who ordered only entrees said that they would wait to eat until the "power lunchers" got their entrees. Then we waited more than 30 minutes before the "power lunch" entrees arrived. And then the "power lunch" desserts were delivered before we'd finished with the entrees. Lunch took about one-and-a-half hours. The timing of the food delivery was incomprehensible. Although the food was very good, we are highly unlikely to return.
- Weird scene, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The best thing Teddy has going is the bar area, which is well appointed with a mix of classic and modern decoration. But all that is ruined by weird (and classless) club music playing in the background. Might rec for happy hour, but that's it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Great drinks and good food. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Food + Teddy = GreatTheBeanVIPDined on 8/31/2014I can't not love a Theodore Roosevelt-themed restaurant! The food was delicious - the bruschetta was amazing and the dessert? SO GOOD. I had a rather knock-you-on-your-rear drink to start my meal - it was good, but definitely boozy. My only minor complaint would be that our waiter would regularly disappear. It was not just our table either, as we started speaking to a table next to us that also had a similar observation. I don't know where he went, but he wasn't serving our food (another nice person was doing that) and he wasn't checking on us (the hostess who sat us down at our table originally did that). Oh well - thankfully he wasn't so bad as to preclude me from visiting again!Special Features:
- love love love Sunday brunchVicdamoneDined on 8/31/2014This is my favorite DC unlimited brunch spots! Food is amazing, drinks are fresh & servers are friendly & attentive. The details really make the experience! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteMelisbestDined on 8/31/2014Food and service was top notch. My waiter James was attentive and polite. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014I can understand the noise from the bar area wafting into the dining room, but why do you have to play loud, techno music in the dining room. Could not figure this out. Waitress was not very knowledgeable about the menu and the level of service provided was forgettable. We ate from restaurant week menu and was promised that entrees were full-sized. Four strips of strip steak? Hardly a tasting menu portion. Lots of watercress, though. Best item was the cucumber salad. No reason to return...to many options.
- Enjoyable Lunch ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/28/2014Selections include interesting pairings and everything is presented in a visusally compelling way.Special Features:
- First VisitMeggiePDined on 8/26/2014We were very surprised. It was a great restaurant and a tad fancier than we thought but that's ok. Great drinks, great food, great service. They serve "small plates". Bigger than tapas but smaller then other restaurants. I wouldn't recommend getting more than 3 plates. Start out with 2 and see how you feel and then go from there.Great decor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for BrunchTreRVIPDined on 8/24/2014Brunch menu has plenty of tasty options with an option for unlimited mimosa's and Bloody Mary's. Only complaint, service can be slow at times.Special Features:
- Speak Softly and Eat HereDanTheDiningManDined on 8/18/2014I would eat here again. The prices are pretty much fair for what this bar/restaurant is and where it is. The food is very good. I had the half chicken, which was rich and came with a delicious dipping sauce. The service was great. Our waiter was very attentive and even gave us a tour of the restaurant's decor. The ambiance was fun. It's Teddy Roosevelt-themed, so there are lots of design touches, art, and artifacts to be explored. All located in Dupont Circle, one of Washington, DC's best neighborhoods. Why not go for a stroll after your meal?Special Features:
- food was terribleDavidDined on 8/17/2014Got to tell ya the food was terrible. Lots of bread and doe! The greens where terrible I had to ask for salt to even taste anything! The coffee Duck had to be sent back because you could not taste the duck. I wou8ld not go back.
- No Restaurant Week Menu :(beccaschmehccaDined on 8/17/2014I put in a reservation for Saturday afternoon of restaurant week because I found their menu online and it looked great. They called about the reservation, I confirmed and looked at their website many times to learn more about the restaurant. NOWHERE did it mention that they would not have the restaurant week lunch menu avaialable. Once we arrived, the brunch menu was extensive and unclear. Only after a confusing conversation with our waitress were we told that we had options of having a bottomless food brunch without spending the extra money on bottomless drinks (since some of my friends are teetotalers. Overall the food was pretty good, the service was also decent, the room was too big for there to be a DJ though- too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- train your staffaaaaDined on 8/17/2014Snobby & rude waitstaff; food that was ehh-average; really cool setting
- Not that great, for brunch at leastEER26Dined on 8/17/2014There are much better places, and our waiter was not very good. We waited forever for my friend's food to come out, and had to ask twice for the corrected bill at the end. The food was okay, but I've had better. Probably won't go back here.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the food as well as the experience.Special Features:
- Great for visitorsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014My family was visiting from out of town and this is a really nice place to bookend sight-seeing. The service is fantastic and the waiters are very knowledgeable both about the menu and the history that the restaurant represents. We were fortunate to hit it on Restaurant Week, but can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014My experience was very enjoyable, from the light, favorable melon soup to the tender NY strip to the comfortable chairs and ambience. I look forward to returning soon and trying other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014We went for DC Restaurant Week. We sat at one of the bar tables since we were early. It was not only Restaurant Week it was our anniversary. This place was very vibrant and eye-catching. It was buzzing but not overly noisy or crowded. Our waiter informed us that he was training another waiter and that he would be shadowing him all night. For our first course we had grilled corn on the cob and lobster hush puppies. Our second course was cucumber watermelon feta salad and roasted kale and brussel sprouts. main course was roasted chicken breast and New York strip steak and for dessert pound cake and cornbread funnel cake. I must say that everything was absolutely wonderful . They even gave us champagne for our special day.Special Features:
- Great Food, Spotty ServiceAnonDined on 8/15/2014I want to give this restaurant the benefit of the doubt because they were likely dealing with bigger crowds during restaurant week, but there were two missteps that really detracted from an otherwise fantastic night. My second course was brought out, but we waited another 15-20 minutes for my boyfriend's second course to arrive (beet salad). It took the waiter 10-15 minutes to realize we were missing something. Then were waiting for utensils for our dessert for so long that my boyfriend had to walk up to the server's station and ask for them. By the time we got them, my ice cream had turned into soup. Otherwise, it was a great night. Favorite dishes: beet salad and rockfish.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Me and a friend went there for Restaurant Week. We came here because there were a lot more options on the menu. We were not stuck with one kind of app, entree and dessert. The waiter was very attentive to us even as the night went on and got busier. We never felt rushed by the staff even though after we looked down a realized that we were there for over 2 hours. Overall Great food, Great service, Great evening.Special Features:
- Great restaurant week menuphugickVIPDined on 8/14/2014Went with my girlfriend last week for dinner during restaurant week and was not disappointed. Unlike a lot of other restaurants in DC, Teddy's doesn't omit many of their best dishes from the restaurant week menu. Restaurant week consisted of a first course, second course, entree, and dessert. Since all plates are usually to share, it was plenty of food, but not completely overwhelming. Everything we had was very good. I had the lobster hush puppies (a bit lacking on the lobster, but delicious nonetheless), the brussel sprouts & kale (delicious), the chicken, and the funnel cake dessert. While the food was good, its their cocktails that will keep me coming back. Try the 26 day barrel-aged Manhattans which are amazing!Special Features:
- goodmaryDined on 8/14/2014My experience was good. The food was good but nothing spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weeksizialDined on 8/14/2014We were there for dinner but noted an energetic happy hour on the way to our dining room. Once seated, we were warmly greeted by our server, who explained the menu. He highly recommended the cocktails, which all sounded quite interesting. My Obama's cider was delightful. The specialty is small plates and cocktails and we did order from the restaurant week menu. There are plenty of novel dishes here but execution was not always top notch. For example, the lobster fritters were nice, but not all that lobstery. The cornmeal funnel cake was too crunchy and they gave spoons to eat it with, which was awkward and difficult. Overall, I loved the vibe and cocktails and would go back, but maybe with slightly lower expectations for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service are goodDClifeDined on 8/14/2014I have it a 4 star because for the dishes the restaurant week menu, they gave a small portion on meat and large portion on side dishes( vegi etc), too obvious to save on cost, not very good feeling when you invite friends to dine there, as if you want to save on monet too.Special Features:
- Flavor there but not the executionWowMePleaseDined on 8/13/2014Dishes coming out all looked great. Went for restaurant week. Maybe it was because they were busy but the lobster hush puppies were so dense & over fried that I had to saw them & was worried they'd shoot off my plate. Don't know where the lobster was as there was a vague seafood flavor but mostly filler. Honey goat cheese & eggplant had good flavor but the eggplant skin was tough. The NY strip was good enough. Olive oil pound cake w/ cheesecake ice cream & roasted strawberries was small & there was only half a berry. Flavor was good but the cake was so overdone that I considered using my knife to cut it. Basic execution was off on almost every dish, but flavors were there & plating was attractive. I'd go again during hh to have another go.Special Features:
- disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014We decided to try Teddy during Restaurant Week because we had never been and had heard good things about the place. From start to finish it was just fine with high and low points. Our server messed up multiple times which just became comical to us by the end. The food was a very mixed bag. The popcorn that came to the table was stale and the lobster hushpuppies were so dry and dense and barely had a hint of lobster. The chicken and rockfish entrees were good, but nothing mind blowing. Dessert for me was a disaster, I got the funnel cake and it was neither warm nor crispy - all that a funnel cake has to be for me. The only high point was the delicious kale and brussel sprouts, which were truly lovely. Too many misses for me.
- so, so goodDionnaDined on 8/13/2014Ted and the Bully Bar was a good find. We went for restaurant week and it was a 4 course experience as opposed to your typical 3 which was a delicious surprise. The brussel sprout and kale dish was out of this world. Give Ted's a try, I will def be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roller Coaster ExperienceHurstyDined on 8/12/2014We had a rocky start at the bar but the GM really stepped up to make sure that our meal and dining experience checked all the right boxes. The Restaurant Week menu impressed with a few notable standouts - corn on the cob, brussels spouts and heirloom tomato risotto!Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/12/2014I really enjoy Lincoln, the sister restaurant better. It was EXTREMELY loud! the food was ok. still left much to be desired. the cheesecake dessert wasnt cheesecake-it was a shortcake.
- Great conceptlunchdateDined on 8/12/2014service was great. atmosphere was great. Food was meh. Drinks were great. Besides the free popcorn on the table nothing that i ate was at all memorable. Would go back for drinks, but would skip the meal. nice presentation, just really bland and boring food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereAK47Dined on 8/11/2014The restaurant itself is aesthetically very interesting, and conveys a nice but still casual vibe. Our server was phenomenal, as was the popcorn amuse bouche they provided at the beginning of our meal. The drinks were also amazing.Special Features:
- Delicious, surprising foodAimaleeDined on 8/11/2014The food here was SOOO good! Delicious and surprising taste combinations. The service was great and we had a really nice time! I especially enjoyed the vegetable dishes (roasted eggplant, brussels sprouts) which were exciting and interesting and perfect.Special Features:
- 3rd Visit and Still Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/11/2014I took a friend and her daughter here for lunch. We enjoyed everything. I had the steak salad which was fantastic. The steak was cooked to the perfect medium temperature and the salad greens were crisp, cool and lightly dressed. My friend had the soft-shelled crab sandwich that she said was the best she ever had and her husband is a chef! Even dessert was creative, fun and delicious. We had the corn bread funnel cake with sweet tea ice cream. The owner stopped by our table as we were finishing lunch to chat. He mentioned that everything is brought in fresh everyday. The sole freezer is only for the ice cream. You can't help buy love fresh ingredients! I highly suggest a visit.Special Features:
- pleasant surpriseYoniDined on 8/11/2014The dining room was bright and open, the food was innovative and tasty. I had the funnel cake on the server's recommendation, but as I was eating it I remembered that I really don't like funnel cake! But that's on me, not the server or the restaurant. I work up the block, so I plan to return in the future.Special Features: