Teddy & The Bully Bar
1200 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Teddy & The Bully Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://teddyandthebullybar.com/
- Phone: (202) 872-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 10:00pm,
Thursday & Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:30pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar Menu: 3pm till close
Late Night menu Available: Wed & Thu 10pm till Midnight
Fri & Sat 11pm til 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Demetrio Zavala
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jeanhe Kim 202-872-8700x
- Entertainment: Live DJ every Sunday at Brunch from 10:30am till 3:30pm
- Special Events: For private events, please email:
- Cross Street: 19th & M
- Public Transit: 2 Block from Dupont Circle Metro Stop on the Red Line. Please take the South Side Exit (19th & Dupont Circle)
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: To park with ease around Teddy & The Bully Bar, please click on the link below to see the closest parking lots, including pricing and lot timings. To make parking easier, we recommend reserving a discounted parking spot in advance here:
A word from Teddy & The Bully Bar
Welcome to Teddy and The Bully Bar, a salute to one of our most popular and gallant American Presidents, making an impressive culinary statement in Washington, DC. We feature the farm to table experience with the professional service and a distinctive ambiance that brings the exuberance of TR himself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Teddy & The Bully Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
225 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (126)good for groups (99)vibrant bar scene (70)special occasion (70)neighborhood gem (58)great for lunch (57)hot spot (57)great for brunch (49)great for outdoor dining (44)romantic (25)notable wine list (16)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- IT WAS FUNAmyRDined on 11/21/2014This is a great place to meet friends. The food was fantastic and varied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful spot, spotty serviceDCdinerVIPDined on 11/20/2014Although they were very attentive and actually gave one of our diners the luncheon special with three courses even though she had only ordered an entree salad and we had ordered the 3 course special, the timing of the meal was very irregular. Our appetizers arrived quickly, then two of the entrees came out before we were through with the appetizers with the third arriving much later. After the dessert course, we didn't see our server again until long after we were ready for the check. It was as though everyone had deserted us. Everyone was very nice and the food was very good, it just seemed like the timing was completely off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014We ordered the tasting menu and all the food was amazing! The funnest part of the tasting menu is the chef made the decision about what we'd be getting that evening. It added to the overall fun of the night. We'd recommend the restaurant to anyone looking for a fabulous, innovative meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for ively celebration with friendsWbfbVIPDined on 11/14/2014We went to dinner for friend's 50th birthday and the staff could not have been more accommodating. After the meal they brought all of us champagne and dessert for the table. A very nice gesture that we thought was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2014We told the waiter a few things we didn't like and left the rest in his hands. Everything was excellent and nicely presented. Cocktails are delsih. Service was top shelf. The bar is lively and loud, but the noise does not carry to the dining room.Special Features:
- Teddy's TreatsKipGDined on 11/8/2014For my husband's birthday this year I selected Teddy's Bully Bar mostly because of his avid interest in the 26th president. When you enter the decor is surprisingly modern and a little stark. But after settling in, the restaurant's subtle details and historical displays become more evident as you explore the various rooms. An interesting mix of old and new, just like the menu. The four of us had eleven different small plates, seemed like we couldn't stop ordering! Food is delicious but rich and we all agreed a little overpriced. Signature cocktails were fun to order, but wine or beer would be more agreeable with cuisine. Thanks to manager Theodore I got a detailed tour which was friendly and interesting. A great birthday celebration!Special Features:
- Great Brunch!!!2Foodies1ForkDined on 11/2/2014Great brunch spot, the food was amazing! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good spot for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014I brought my husband to this spot for his birthday, as some of the other reviews noted that it was a good place for a special occasion. The bar area was a little loud, and it's right next to the dining area, so it probably sets a good celebratory vibe, but definitely not a romantic one. We were also there on Saturday, so it's probably quieter other nights. Overall, we found the food and drinks to be enjoyable. We tried two of the old fashioned drinks on the menu - both were excellent. For dinner, we had a cesar and kale salad, brussel sprouts, risotto and macaroni and cheese. Everything was great, and the portions were larger than you'd expect for a small plates establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor timing and vanishing serversOenophiliacVIPDined on 11/1/2014The food was okay, but the service and kitchen timing are both detractors from this venue. I actually think I saw the manager more than the server. Cannot believe that the appetizer came out after my main dishes, and there was at least a 15 minute delay between my ordering the appetizer and the main course. The manager and chef both insist that this is per restaurant policy. Sad for a place with such promise to have this type of experience for diners. I won't go back again:
- Great but really bad acousticsCMQ87VIPDined on 10/22/2014The service was really good. The food was amazing. We loved the decor. The bar/lounge area was full the whole time. Lots of young people. The only problem was the noise level. You could hear everyone's conversations. You could barely hear the people at your own table because of the noise. Otherwise would recommend it completely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is creative but blandMargEatsOutDined on 10/21/2014I thought the food all sounded good and I had a hard time choosing. But, I had fall off the bone ribs that were very tough and I had to chew away from the bone. All of the dishes tasted like they needed salt. The pork belly beignets sounded good but had no flavor and were sprinkled with bacon powder that tasted like eating dust. We thought it was goat cheese which would have been so much better. Even the dessert funnel cake lacked flavor.Special Features:
- Good foodCharmingVIPDined on 10/20/2014The food was very good. The menu has lots of options. Outdoor seating is enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Lousy service & NoisyDiscopaddyVIPDined on 10/18/2014While food is it top quality, the service and ambiance leave something to be desired. Our food was spectacular but our server was slow with drinks and didn't check back on us enough. The manager even cleared our dishes and we waited a long while before our server even came back to check on us offer us dessert menus or bring our drinks that we had ordered. The dining rooms low ceiling bounce sound all around and with a busy restaurant it got to a point where we hear the people at our table, let alone the specials of the evening.Special Features:
- Bully timeTomKDined on 10/17/2014Great concept, but the execution left a lot to be desired. Diners are greeted with a deafening roar as you enter the restaurant through the extremely loud bar. The waitress explained that the menu consisted of tapas, medium, & large plates, but at no time did she indicate the meals would be delivered in that order. My wife had a tapas, a salad (medium plate), & I had a large plate. Each was delivered at different times. A smart wait staff would have asked "Would you like those delivered at the same time?" Ours didn't & this detracted from the night out as my wife sat across the table & looked at me over her beet salad, waiting for my lamb shank to be delivered. Get it right Teddy.Special Features:
- A happy surprisegsm18439VIPDined on 10/10/2014I read an article in the Washington Post that mentioned Teddy and The Bully Bar and thought "why not." (The article was about the current trend toward confusing menus.) Regardless, Tedd and the Bully Bar was a happy surprise. It is in the old Sam&Harry's space on 19th Street. The menu was surprisingly sophisticated. . . especially for vegetarians with many small plates that were worth trying. Great flavors. Large portions (even the small plates were generous). Definitely worth the visit.Special Features:
- Great drinks and great food!pisceschica7VIPDined on 10/4/2014We went to this restaurant for our anniversary. It was a last minute pick, but so happy this is what we chose. We tried the tasting menu and several of the specialty cocktails. Everything was delicious and unique. I would highly recommend the Mac & cheese. That was my absolute favorite! Our service was also really great, very attentive and accommodating. They even surprised us with two glasses of champagne on the house to help us celebrate. It was very thoughtful and much appreciated. Overall, it was a great night out and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOODGustavoVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food is great this place. I loved it. The drinks too. The ambiance not the best but it is worth going just to eat.Special Features:
- wonderfulswxxDined on 10/3/2014Service outstanding..paced well. Good choices and nice ambientSpecial Features:
- Keep going back for moreSarahVIPDined on 9/30/2014Great find in DuPont. It's unlike any other place in the area - the Teddy Roosevelt theme is tied throughout the restaurant. I've been twice - once inside and once outside. The ambiance and experience is stronger inside and that's because it's done really well. The servers are educated about Teddy. The food is consistently good. If you go in the fall, order the griddled cauliflower, cornbread, mussels (huge!) and Brussel sprouts. All were phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchcmacnernieDined on 9/28/2014The bottomless brunch was great. There was plenty of food (and drinks) and great quality. The service was good. There was a DJ playing fun songs. Overall just a great vibe.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningsteveADined on 9/27/2014Had an exceptional experience there on a Saturday evening. We sat in the Bar area at a lovely table with a view of the bar and part of the dining area. Our server, Antonio, who was also one of the bar tenders, was outstanding. The brussel sprouts and the sweet corn bread were the culinary standouts. The salmon and cauliflower were very good as well. The custom 'barrel-aged' cocktails were terrific. We're looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Teddy's and had a great time.Special Features:
- Always impressedwinnerVIPDined on 9/22/2014Excellent food, great space. I'd highly recommend the cauliflower. Best small plates south of Dupont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, albeit flavorless brunchLaLucBitesVIPDined on 9/21/2014Was a great location for group fun brunch. The live DJ kept the atmosphere lively. Though I was excited about the ingredients in various meals, I was disappointed with the lack of flavor and basic seasoning of the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite!LauraSDined on 9/20/2014Ambiance was great, service was great and food was delicious! Am looking forward to going back soon!Special Features:
- Awesome Experience !!FoodiestDined on 9/20/2014From the ambiance, to the clearly communicated style of the restaurant. It was a winning experience. The small plates, medium and square plates were fantastic. We had a group of 7 people and our service was incredible. Our waiter (James) was an equal balance ever present and invisible. Hooray! I hope that Teddy and the Bully Bar are here for a very long time.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceChrisDDined on 9/20/2014For a Late Saturday afternoon, we were greeted as family and treated the same - excellent service in bar and by waitstaff Great burger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DinerAmyDined on 9/19/2014The food was amazing and flavorful. The server was so hospitable, nice, and extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the cocktails. Everything exceeded my expectations. I came here for my friend's birthday and it was an unforgettable experience. The restaurant itself is so trendy and fun! The decor is aesthetically beautiful. The mac and cheese was the best I've ever had in my life. I also recommend Teddy's sister restaurant, Lincoln.Special Features:
- Excellent! Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014No complaints, except that after trying almost every appetizer/small plate I was so stuffed my tastebuds shut down on the last items. We had a wonderfully engaging experience, friendly wait staff and great food. Only thing I'd suggest is that the dining room dim the lights. The lighting in the bar area was wonderful, but a little bright for post-9p dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth ItOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Single worst piece of steak I have ever eaten in more than 20 years living in Washington, DC. While beautiful inside, it needs a lot of work.
- Fantastic!GoRavensVIPDined on 9/18/2014I would definitely recommend the chef's tasting menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun night out for dinnerPhyllisDined on 9/12/2014This was a nice, lively restaurant with a very broad menu and very fresh food. It was the start of the fall menu and everything was delicious, beginning with the brussel sprouts and freshly baked corn bread right out of the oven. The staff was friendly and and made the experience enjoyable.Special Features:
- GoodnancVIPDined on 9/12/2014My second time and I enjoyed it -- food was so-so though but the rest of the experience was good. Maybe I just ordered the wrong entrée.
- Great food, not-great serviceNewtoPhillyVIPDined on 9/12/2014As long as you don't mind inattentive (slow) service, the food here is fantastic (though you may leave hungry if you get a salad - we ordered an extra chicken breast to share because the tuna nicoise was tiny). Lovely for outdoor dining at lunch, great burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent placeChristinaVIPDined on 9/11/2014A must-go! Fantastic menu...creative, delicious, and well-priced. Server Jared was top notch-friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable about both the food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but ill-timed deliveryDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was very good, but ill timed. In our party of four, two ordered off of the "power lunch" menu (which offers an appetizer, entrée, and dessert), while the other two ordered only entrees. Surprisingly, those two entrees were delivered at the same time as the "power lunch" appetizers. The friends who ordered only entrees said that they would wait to eat until the "power lunchers" got their entrees. Then we waited more than 30 minutes before the "power lunch" entrees arrived. And then the "power lunch" desserts were delivered before we'd finished with the entrees. Lunch took about one-and-a-half hours. The timing of the food delivery was incomprehensible. Although the food was very good, we are highly unlikely to return.
- Weird scene, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The best thing Teddy has going is the bar area, which is well appointed with a mix of classic and modern decoration. But all that is ruined by weird (and classless) club music playing in the background. Might rec for happy hour, but that's it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Great drinks and good food. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Food + Teddy = GreatTheBeanVIPDined on 8/31/2014I can't not love a Theodore Roosevelt-themed restaurant! The food was delicious - the bruschetta was amazing and the dessert? SO GOOD. I had a rather knock-you-on-your-rear drink to start my meal - it was good, but definitely boozy. My only minor complaint would be that our waiter would regularly disappear. It was not just our table either, as we started speaking to a table next to us that also had a similar observation. I don't know where he went, but he wasn't serving our food (another nice person was doing that) and he wasn't checking on us (the hostess who sat us down at our table originally did that). Oh well - thankfully he wasn't so bad as to preclude me from visiting again!Special Features:
- love love love Sunday brunchVicdamoneDined on 8/31/2014This is my favorite DC unlimited brunch spots! Food is amazing, drinks are fresh & servers are friendly & attentive. The details really make the experience! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.