Teddy & The Bully Bar
1200 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Teddy & The Bully Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://teddyandthebullybar.com/
- Phone: 202-872-8700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 10:00pm,
Thursday & Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:30pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar Menu: 3pm till close
Late Night menu Available: Wed & Thu 10pm till Midnight
Fri & Sat 11pm til 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Demetrio Zavala
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jeanhe Kim 202-872-8700x
- Entertainment: Live DJ every Sunday at Brunch from 10:30am till 3:30pm
- Special Events: For private events, please email:
- Cross Street: 19th & M
- Public Transit: 2 Block from Dupont Circle Metro Stop on the Red Line. Please take the South Side Exit (19th & Dupont Circle)
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: To park with ease around Teddy & The Bully Bar, please click on the link below to see the closest parking lots, including pricing and lot timings. To make parking easier, we recommend reserving a discounted parking spot in advance here:
A word from Teddy & The Bully Bar
Welcome to Teddy and The Bully Bar, a salute to one of our most popular and gallant American Presidents, making an impressive culinary statement in Washington, DC. We feature the farm to table experience with the professional service and a distinctive ambiance that brings the exuberance of TR himself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Teddy & The Bully Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
242 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)good for groups (101)special occasion (80)vibrant bar scene (72)neighborhood gem (66)great for lunch (64)great for outdoor dining (59)hot spot (55)great for brunch (50)romantic (31)notable wine list (17)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- A happy surprisegsm18439Dined on 10/10/2014I read an article in the Washington Post that mentioned Teddy and The Bully Bar and thought "why not." (The article was about the current trend toward confusing menus.) Regardless, Tedd and the Bully Bar was a happy surprise. It is in the old Sam&Harry's space on 19th Street. The menu was surprisingly sophisticated. . . especially for vegetarians with many small plates that were worth trying. Great flavors. Large portions (even the small plates were generous). Definitely worth the visit.Special Features:
- Great drinks and great food!pisceschica7VIPDined on 10/4/2014We went to this restaurant for our anniversary. It was a last minute pick, but so happy this is what we chose. We tried the tasting menu and several of the specialty cocktails. Everything was delicious and unique. I would highly recommend the Mac & cheese. That was my absolute favorite! Our service was also really great, very attentive and accommodating. They even surprised us with two glasses of champagne on the house to help us celebrate. It was very thoughtful and much appreciated. Overall, it was a great night out and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOODGustavoVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food is great this place. I loved it. The drinks too. The ambiance not the best but it is worth going just to eat.Special Features:
- wonderfulswxxDined on 10/3/2014Service outstanding..paced well. Good choices and nice ambientSpecial Features:
- Keep going back for moreSarahVIPDined on 9/30/2014Great find in DuPont. It's unlike any other place in the area - the Teddy Roosevelt theme is tied throughout the restaurant. I've been twice - once inside and once outside. The ambiance and experience is stronger inside and that's because it's done really well. The servers are educated about Teddy. The food is consistently good. If you go in the fall, order the griddled cauliflower, cornbread, mussels (huge!) and Brussel sprouts. All were phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchcmacnernieDined on 9/28/2014The bottomless brunch was great. There was plenty of food (and drinks) and great quality. The service was good. There was a DJ playing fun songs. Overall just a great vibe.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningsteveADined on 9/27/2014Had an exceptional experience there on a Saturday evening. We sat in the Bar area at a lovely table with a view of the bar and part of the dining area. Our server, Antonio, who was also one of the bar tenders, was outstanding. The brussel sprouts and the sweet corn bread were the culinary standouts. The salmon and cauliflower were very good as well. The custom 'barrel-aged' cocktails were terrific. We're looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Teddy's and had a great time.Special Features:
- Always impressedwinnerVIPDined on 9/22/2014Excellent food, great space. I'd highly recommend the cauliflower. Best small plates south of Dupont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, albeit flavorless brunchLaLucBitesVIPDined on 9/21/2014Was a great location for group fun brunch. The live DJ kept the atmosphere lively. Though I was excited about the ingredients in various meals, I was disappointed with the lack of flavor and basic seasoning of the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite!LauraSDined on 9/20/2014Ambiance was great, service was great and food was delicious! Am looking forward to going back soon!Special Features:
- Awesome Experience !!FoodiestDined on 9/20/2014From the ambiance, to the clearly communicated style of the restaurant. It was a winning experience. The small plates, medium and square plates were fantastic. We had a group of 7 people and our service was incredible. Our waiter (James) was an equal balance ever present and invisible. Hooray! I hope that Teddy and the Bully Bar are here for a very long time.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014For a Late Saturday afternoon, we were greeted as family and treated the same - excellent service in bar and by waitstaff Great burger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DinerAmyDined on 9/19/2014The food was amazing and flavorful. The server was so hospitable, nice, and extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the cocktails. Everything exceeded my expectations. I came here for my friend's birthday and it was an unforgettable experience. The restaurant itself is so trendy and fun! The decor is aesthetically beautiful. The mac and cheese was the best I've ever had in my life. I also recommend Teddy's sister restaurant, Lincoln.Special Features:
- Excellent! Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014No complaints, except that after trying almost every appetizer/small plate I was so stuffed my tastebuds shut down on the last items. We had a wonderfully engaging experience, friendly wait staff and great food. Only thing I'd suggest is that the dining room dim the lights. The lighting in the bar area was wonderful, but a little bright for post-9p dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth ItOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Single worst piece of steak I have ever eaten in more than 20 years living in Washington, DC. While beautiful inside, it needs a lot of work.
- Fantastic!GoRavensVIPDined on 9/18/2014I would definitely recommend the chef's tasting menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun night out for dinnerPhyllisDined on 9/12/2014This was a nice, lively restaurant with a very broad menu and very fresh food. It was the start of the fall menu and everything was delicious, beginning with the brussel sprouts and freshly baked corn bread right out of the oven. The staff was friendly and and made the experience enjoyable.Special Features:
- GoodnancVIPDined on 9/12/2014My second time and I enjoyed it -- food was so-so though but the rest of the experience was good. Maybe I just ordered the wrong entrée.
- Great food, not-great serviceNewtoPhillyVIPDined on 9/12/2014As long as you don't mind inattentive (slow) service, the food here is fantastic (though you may leave hungry if you get a salad - we ordered an extra chicken breast to share because the tuna nicoise was tiny). Lovely for outdoor dining at lunch, great burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/11/2014A must-go! Fantastic menu...creative, delicious, and well-priced. Server Jared was top notch-friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable about both the food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but ill-timed deliveryDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was very good, but ill timed. In our party of four, two ordered off of the "power lunch" menu (which offers an appetizer, entrée, and dessert), while the other two ordered only entrees. Surprisingly, those two entrees were delivered at the same time as the "power lunch" appetizers. The friends who ordered only entrees said that they would wait to eat until the "power lunchers" got their entrees. Then we waited more than 30 minutes before the "power lunch" entrees arrived. And then the "power lunch" desserts were delivered before we'd finished with the entrees. Lunch took about one-and-a-half hours. The timing of the food delivery was incomprehensible. Although the food was very good, we are highly unlikely to return.
- Weird scene, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The best thing Teddy has going is the bar area, which is well appointed with a mix of classic and modern decoration. But all that is ruined by weird (and classless) club music playing in the background. Might rec for happy hour, but that's it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Great drinks and good food. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Food + Teddy = GreatTheBeanVIPDined on 8/31/2014I can't not love a Theodore Roosevelt-themed restaurant! The food was delicious - the bruschetta was amazing and the dessert? SO GOOD. I had a rather knock-you-on-your-rear drink to start my meal - it was good, but definitely boozy. My only minor complaint would be that our waiter would regularly disappear. It was not just our table either, as we started speaking to a table next to us that also had a similar observation. I don't know where he went, but he wasn't serving our food (another nice person was doing that) and he wasn't checking on us (the hostess who sat us down at our table originally did that). Oh well - thankfully he wasn't so bad as to preclude me from visiting again!Special Features:
- love love love Sunday brunchVicdamoneDined on 8/31/2014This is my favorite DC unlimited brunch spots! Food is amazing, drinks are fresh & servers are friendly & attentive. The details really make the experience! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteMelisbestDined on 8/31/2014Food and service was top notch. My waiter James was attentive and polite. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014I can understand the noise from the bar area wafting into the dining room, but why do you have to play loud, techno music in the dining room. Could not figure this out. Waitress was not very knowledgeable about the menu and the level of service provided was forgettable. We ate from restaurant week menu and was promised that entrees were full-sized. Four strips of strip steak? Hardly a tasting menu portion. Lots of watercress, though. Best item was the cucumber salad. No reason to return...to many options.
- Enjoyable Lunch ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/28/2014Selections include interesting pairings and everything is presented in a visusally compelling way.Special Features:
- First VisitMeggiePDined on 8/26/2014We were very surprised. It was a great restaurant and a tad fancier than we thought but that's ok. Great drinks, great food, great service. They serve "small plates". Bigger than tapas but smaller then other restaurants. I wouldn't recommend getting more than 3 plates. Start out with 2 and see how you feel and then go from there.Great decor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for BrunchTreRVIPDined on 8/24/2014Brunch menu has plenty of tasty options with an option for unlimited mimosa's and Bloody Mary's. Only complaint, service can be slow at times.Special Features:
- Speak Softly and Eat HereDanTheDiningManDined on 8/18/2014I would eat here again. The prices are pretty much fair for what this bar/restaurant is and where it is. The food is very good. I had the half chicken, which was rich and came with a delicious dipping sauce. The service was great. Our waiter was very attentive and even gave us a tour of the restaurant's decor. The ambiance was fun. It's Teddy Roosevelt-themed, so there are lots of design touches, art, and artifacts to be explored. All located in Dupont Circle, one of Washington, DC's best neighborhoods. Why not go for a stroll after your meal?Special Features:
- food was terribleDavidDined on 8/17/2014Got to tell ya the food was terrible. Lots of bread and doe! The greens where terrible I had to ask for salt to even taste anything! The coffee Duck had to be sent back because you could not taste the duck. I wou8ld not go back.
- No Restaurant Week Menu :(beccaschmehccaDined on 8/17/2014I put in a reservation for Saturday afternoon of restaurant week because I found their menu online and it looked great. They called about the reservation, I confirmed and looked at their website many times to learn more about the restaurant. NOWHERE did it mention that they would not have the restaurant week lunch menu avaialable. Once we arrived, the brunch menu was extensive and unclear. Only after a confusing conversation with our waitress were we told that we had options of having a bottomless food brunch without spending the extra money on bottomless drinks (since some of my friends are teetotalers. Overall the food was pretty good, the service was also decent, the room was too big for there to be a DJ though- too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- train your staffaaaaDined on 8/17/2014Snobby & rude waitstaff; food that was ehh-average; really cool setting
- Not that great, for brunch at leastEER26Dined on 8/17/2014There are much better places, and our waiter was not very good. We waited forever for my friend's food to come out, and had to ask twice for the corrected bill at the end. The food was okay, but I've had better. Probably won't go back here.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the food as well as the experience.Special Features:
- Great for visitorsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014My family was visiting from out of town and this is a really nice place to bookend sight-seeing. The service is fantastic and the waiters are very knowledgeable both about the menu and the history that the restaurant represents. We were fortunate to hit it on Restaurant Week, but can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014My experience was very enjoyable, from the light, favorable melon soup to the tender NY strip to the comfortable chairs and ambience. I look forward to returning soon and trying other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014We went for DC Restaurant Week. We sat at one of the bar tables since we were early. It was not only Restaurant Week it was our anniversary. This place was very vibrant and eye-catching. It was buzzing but not overly noisy or crowded. Our waiter informed us that he was training another waiter and that he would be shadowing him all night. For our first course we had grilled corn on the cob and lobster hush puppies. Our second course was cucumber watermelon feta salad and roasted kale and brussel sprouts. main course was roasted chicken breast and New York strip steak and for dessert pound cake and cornbread funnel cake. I must say that everything was absolutely wonderful . They even gave us champagne for our special day.Special Features: