Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena
525 E. Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91101Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://techniquerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6262291377
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am- 2:00pm;
Reservations are highly recommended.
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 8:00pm
Reservations are highly recommended.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Wang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Technique Restaurant can accommodate up to 50 guests for private functions. The dining room is available on selected evenings.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Donovan 6262291377
A word from Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena
Technique at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Los Angeles features an open-to-the-public restaurant which is staffed by our students and outstanding chef instructors, who prepare and serve the meals. While you our patrons enjoy a delicious fine dining experience, students will have the opportunity to apply their culinary training in various areas of the kitchen and dining room. However, we do ask for patience on the part of our guests as this is an educational environment. With that in mind we will be closed for educational seminars, student vacations, final exams and new student orientations. We may also be very limited in the number of guests we can seat during service times. In as much as our restaurant is a classroom, we hold strict seating policies in order to provide our students with a full educational experience. As such, we can only hold your table for 15 minutes past the reservation time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (9)great for lunch (7)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Wait staff was very informative.fiirstttimedinersDined on 8/22/2014Most of the food was well prepared, especially the pork chops. It was all served attractive. The green beans left us not too thrilled, but the corn dish was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TumtumDined on 8/22/2014Food was very good except the ribeye steak was average to poor quality but cooked med/rare as requested. The pork chop was excellent. All of the vegetables were terrific and not over cooked with excellent seasoning. The server was pleasant and attentive but very unskilled. The server had no knowledge of wine and didn't know how to open the bottle. She had little knowledge of the food or the preparation of it. Over all we had a nice evening for the first time in the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- KTC91101VIPDined on 8/13/2014My salad was very good. The pork and mushroom dish is too big and greasy and serving in a frying pan. It is definitely not what I like.
- Needs to improvealeneubauerDined on 8/6/2014As this is a school, we have gone on a bad day. The service was poor, despite the effort of the staff. The food could have been better too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Even though they do not have the Prefix Menu anymore, the current menu offers a great variety of choices from starters to deserts. The seafood oysters were our favorite. We ordered three dozen among 8 people. Will definitely go back for more good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something New in DiningTweedylinDined on 7/31/2014If you are looking for something new in dining, try Technique @ Le Cordon Bleu. Meals are presented in a fancy manner and the staff is excellent in recommending entrees. Restaurant is very clean and quiet.Special Features:
- Delightful surprisetravelingfoodieDined on 7/28/2014My husband, an adult daughter, and I had dinner there this past Tuesday night. We went out of curiosity, nothing more. So, we were delighted with the amuse bouche which was a vegetarian eggroll with a piquant sauce and the interesting sauce on the Kumamoto oysters which was described as "like a frozen Bloody Mary". My pork belly was delicious as were the entrees that my husband and daughter had. I was too busy wolfing down (I mean, "savoring") my food that I don't even remember what they ordered. I do remember that their food was delicious as well. Service was friendly but professional and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend this restaurant although the decor was quite minimalist.Special Features:
- DisappointedSorosie8Dined on 7/22/2014We went for the prefix menu dinner which was online. We looked at the menu and decided to leave. They stopped the prefix menu a week earlier. There were also several odd sounding dishes that was not appealing to me. We went somewhere else for dinner.
- Style and Menu has changedGourmetYokozunaDined on 7/9/2014The prix fix menu that Technique was known for is gone. We arrived on the 2nd night of a new menu scheme. You are free to choose from a large assortment of menu items. They are not marked as appetizers or main but in categories such as meat, seafood, vegetables and dessert. There is no way to determine portion size besides asking the servers. As the servers are students some may or may not know the menu. In our case the servers were new students who were also bad servers and were not attentive at all. Food was from good to bad. Rib Eye and Schnitzel were executed very well and are full meals by themselves. Ja-Da-Do Salad was too spicy and the Kim Chi Fried rice was not spicy. The best was the salsa and chips made fresh in house.Special Features:
- WonderfulMisericordiaDined on 6/20/2014This is a real find of a place with food rivaling any five star restaurant at a two-star price or less! The wine list is deliciously varied with some surprises. The prix fixe price is amazingly inexpensive and worth three times the price. We had a party of four, my gf and I and another couple: they shared one of the chop house specials for two, the baby back ribs with Texas BBQ sauce, grilled asparagus and pommes frites. My gf and I had the prix fixe dinners, which nclude appetizer, entree and dessert. She had the crepe Florentine, spring chicken; I had the crabmeat beignets (shared with the table-there were three lovely ones!) and the black cod. We both had the from,age plate with honeycomb for dessert. Amazing meal for us all!Special Features:
- always greatCigaDined on 6/13/2014Always a high level of quality food and service at a reasonable price. I love supporting these students.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Thank you for a wonderful experience. This was our first time but not our last. Everyone was so nice and the food was excellant. My husband asked for well done meat and received well done meat. Many restrauants do it their way, this one does it your way. Make sure you ask if you want something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch is better than dinnerenterpriseDined on 5/28/2014I have tried both lunch and dinner. I would say lunch is great but dinner is just not-so-great.Special Features:
- Technique's technique!foodnfunDined on 5/28/2014Our server, Melissa, was gracious & helpful but the manager, leaning on a wall, never greeted us although place was empty! We chose the price fixe dinner, many choices. Had flank steak, lamb chop & black cod, everything delicious albeit small. (2 pieces of bread for 3 of us!) Dessert was a surprise: French menu sans French pastry! Meal superb, experience interesting. $25 price fixe added up to more: wine $12 a glass, coffee $3 per cup. Automatic 15% tip, contribution to the scholarship fund. Our server refused a personal tip explaining all money must go to the scholarship fund not to individuals. Will I go again? Possibly. Although my friends noted, for $50 we could go to Roy's!Special Features:
- Heavy-handed with the salt jarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014Although we understood going in that Technique was student cooking our meal, we didn't expect the food to be so salty. We ordered the BBQ ribs and short rib for our entrees. Both were extremely salty. My husband also said the presentation on his short rib could use some improvement as the meat was presented on the bone which you don't see often for short rib dishes. Our desserts were not flavorful or memorable. Sadly, it wasn't worth the almost $100 we spent.
- Great spotstewartDined on 5/21/2014This was the first time my wife and I dined here. She had prix fixe with veal cordon bleu and I had prix fixe with spring lamb. The taste of everything was good to excellent. The service was excellent. The ambience was excellent for us because the building is beautiful and nearly empty so it was quiet and easy to talk to one another. Regarding food, the cordon bleu was very good, the spring lamb was excellent, the custard desert was excellent, the ice cream was good. The one complaint was the spring lamb portion was very small. The cordon blue was huge. We really liked our server. They rotate through serving and cooking so it's nice having a server that is a chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedEaglerockerDined on 5/20/2014Although the staff of friendly Le Cordon Bleu students tried hard to please, in every other way we were disappointed. High prices, tiny portions, limited menu, mediocre food and warm beer. The blaring pop music on the sound system just made it worse. The elegant space and open kitchen give the restaurant a nice look, but architecture only goes so far. The cafe side of the establishment was fun when we visited previously but I cannot recommend the restaurant at all, although I wish I could. I guess the word is out about how badly this place has stumbled because only two out of 15 tables were occupied.
- Disappointed in many waysAdventuriousFoodieDined on 5/15/2014The servers rush you from the minute you walk in asking what you want to drink before you've taken your seat. They hover around anxious to remove your plate before you are done with one course. (My saucer was actually removed while I was sipping coffee) I asked for an espresso but they didn't know how to work the machine. My chicken sausage appetizer had no flavor except for the sauce. Many items were fried, dry and accompanied with sauces that did NOT complement the dish. Also, there were no vegetables served with the main course. Our prix fixed menu for 2 (with 2 glasses of wine & 2 coffees) cost us $93. To us that is not a bargain. Sorry, but we would not return.
- wonderful!GREATVIPDined on 5/14/2014always an amazing MENU!!! GREAT TO SEE ALL THE ASPIRING CHEFS HARD AT WORK -- PASSION!!!Special Features:
- Tantalizing Your Taste Buds!FoodisMyPlaygroundDined on 5/9/2014My family and I had a wonderful experience at Technique. The staff was pleasant and friendly, the food was delicious and had so many flavors packed into one plate, and the waitress was very thoughtful about our toddler also having a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience at Culinary SchoolsegabeDined on 5/9/2014One of the reasons I love to take guests to Technique at Le Cordon Bleu is the experience of enjoying students, watching the kitchen staff teach and learn, incredible service and adventure of the menu. The choices are always creative, not always outstanding, but good and sometimes just exquisite. I love the adventure of it all. Prices are still quite reasonable I believe for the Prix Fixe menu. Lunch is especially a good deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 936 reviews are from the Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena reviews archive.
- Brooms and wineTaitaiDined on 4/29/2014It should be possible to get cheaper wines (or the corking fee should be reduced). The website should include information about wines served (incl. prices). You accept peopple to have dinner until 7:30/8:00 pm. In fact the information should say that at 8:00 pm the party is over, that coffee cannot be served anymore, that students start coming into the restaurant with cleaning materials in their hands. Our conclusion is that if you want to ho enjoy a three course dinner and drink a coffee to finish the meal you should be there at 6:00/6:30 pm at the latest. Please be so kind to inform customers about this on your website. It is quite a disappointment to finish a very enjoyable dinner in an environment that is dominated by cleaners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd definitely come back real soon!EDubsDined on 4/11/2014Reservations are a must, and once you're ink the menu is amazing and the price is unbelievable! For any appetizer, entree, and dessert, you pay only $25. I thought I wasn't going to be full because I'm quite a big eater, but it was just right and enough. I can't believe they're all students serving, and cooking for you, I feel like I'm at a 5 star dining experience. Sitting near the pass was also a great experience. The place was just overall lovely and a wonderful experience! I wished they had better prices on alcoholic drinks though, and they don't have a bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but not worth the pricejohnnygDined on 4/11/2014Sorry, but many my friends said we should try this, as it was a good deal. Unfortunately, I understand these are aspiring chefs but the food and portions were small. I had to order a dinner for two to have a regular restaurant helping. The menu was more French inspired and unless you are open to experimenting, I wouldn't recommend. If you are taking any children or teens they have a limited menu. The ambiance was open but you have metal chairs and tables and we actually got seated at a high table which was "ok" but since I was backed up against another patron, the wait staff kept squeezing between us to bring orders out. Overall, for the price of the meal, I would recommend a regular nice restaurant, which there are many in Pasadena.
- Excellent ValuessxwDined on 3/14/2014Having dined at Technique a few times now, I always arrive at the same conclusion: for the quality of food this establishment serves, the prices are not expensive. It is an incredible value for the level of refinement of the restaurant and its offerings. The staff is very courteous and attentive, and the seasonal menus always provide interesting choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than ExpectedPASADENALOCALSDined on 3/4/2014This was a great experience for us. We used to dine at the old Cordon Bleu Restaurant on Green St., and this was our first visit to the new one. Every dish was perfectly prepared. Excellent combinations of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another good time at techniqueckingDined on 2/26/2014my wife and i had not been in a while, no reason, just had not been, but she suggested it for a wednesday, and we don't know why we wait so long to return. on our way to the car we mentioned we need to make technique a more regular visit. the food is good, the service is always friendly and they answer all our questions patiently. we like it a lot!Special Features:
- Unique and AmbitiousfoodiefriendDined on 2/11/2014The menu is interesting for foodies and a great price for a prix fix dinner $25. The plates are small, but they are portions that are reasonable.The shrimp and soft polenta was good, but the polenta was a bit too smooth, more like glue. The pork cheeks were a bit overdone, but the sauce was good. Chocolate bread pudding was delicious. Their breads were lovely as well. The students were a pleasant wait staff and very accommodating. They have a counter where you can order pizza's and hot sandwiches as well as cold items to go. I would return.Special Features:
- Techniqueluv2chowDined on 2/7/2014Technique is unique! The food is delicious always! Not the best place for picky eaters. Must be adventurous here. Love that the folks who are working with us are students!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed being ableCrewVIPDined on 2/7/2014We really enjoyed being able to watch our food as it was being prepared by these aspiring chefs. We went with the Prix Fixe Menu for $25, a good deal. The food was very good overall, though portions a bit small. Our waiter trainee could use a few more lessons on being personable, however he was efficient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep learning...PandoraVIPDined on 2/6/2014The service was awkward. The light, open space and metal chairs seem better for breakfast or lunch than fine dinner dining. White wine came in a red glass, Prosecco in a white glass. Our BLT salad had no bacon--B is for blue cheese--and was pretty, but I worked up a sweat cutting the large leaves into edible portions. The breads looked better than they tasted. The entrées were the stars, plated beautifully and tasty. Perfectly cooked sea trout was accompanied by just a smear (the right amount) of red wine reduction, a short rib melted off the prehistoric-sized bone, a delicious lamb chop, sadly, lacked significant accompaniment, and a soft shell crab dish that tasted good but was plated in an awkward bowl. I'd like to try breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faux-FancyChoppedFanDined on 1/31/2014If you're looking for a nice 3-course meal that won't break the bank, this is a good place to go! It's nice to support the local school, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chops!!!foodlovesmeDined on 1/16/2014Best cooked pork chop. So tender and seasoned perfectly! Crab cakes served with mixed greens were delicious. Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but not what is used to be!Foodie1VIPDined on 1/16/2014It has over a year since I last frequented the restaurant. The menu and pricing has changed dramatically and the food although was tasty was not as good as it was when they first opened their doors. I think the price increase on the 3 course-dinner is a bit too high for the portion size you get. Although I enjoyed, it isn't what it used to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!AgeezyDined on 1/10/2014The food was absolutely amazing!!!!! Pricing was very reasonable. Fun experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but luke warm,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013Food was good but luke warm, presentation was nice, service fair-ish.Special Features:
- My Favorite PlacegodzillaDined on 11/18/2013The fod selection was outstanding. The service was great. We always enjoy going to Le Cordon Blue for dinner. We always stop at the Deli counter and pick up goodies for the next day. We have never been disappointed by Techniques. The staff is informative, weel trained, and make sure that you enjoy your visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was OK, need more work.foodcravingsDined on 11/15/2013Food was OK, need more work. But not bad for student cooks. They would probably need more practice in making the food perfect. Some food was a bit burnt, and some was a bit salty. The presentation was very nice. Service was good, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. There is still room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Can't Be the Entree!LADDHDined on 11/15/2013While the beef bourguignon was delicious, it was a tiny portion. We laughed when the plate was placed in front of us: One piece of meat that was about 3"x11/2". ... Seriously.
- Somewhat dissapointed!FlyingDutchmanDined on 11/12/2013When first entering the restaurant, restaurant personnel did not seem to be aware that customers were waiting to be seated. During the meal restaurant personnel only stopped by the table to bring the next course. They did not check to see how we were enjoying our meal. The appetizers were fabulous. I had the crab cakes. The main course was average. I had the scallops. My partner chose the bouillabaisse, which was subpar. the desserts were decent. During all of my prior visits, four, food and service was really wonderful, so I was expecting more of the same. Not this time.Special Features: