Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena
525 E. Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91101Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://techniquerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (626) 229-1377
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am- 2:00pm;
Reservations are highly recommended.
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 8:00pm
Reservations are highly recommended.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Wang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Technique Restaurant can accommodate up to 50 guests for private functions. The dining room is available on selected evenings.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Donovan 6262291377
A word from Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena
Technique at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Los Angeles features an open-to-the-public restaurant which is staffed by our students and outstanding chef instructors, who prepare and serve the meals. While you our patrons enjoy a delicious fine dining experience, students will have the opportunity to apply their culinary training in various areas of the kitchen and dining room. However, we do ask for patience on the part of our guests as this is an educational environment. With that in mind we will be closed for educational seminars, student vacations, final exams and new student orientations. We may also be very limited in the number of guests we can seat during service times. In as much as our restaurant is a classroom, we hold strict seating policies in order to provide our students with a full educational experience. As such, we can only hold your table for 15 minutes past the reservation time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (11)special occasion (9)great for lunch (5)romantic (4)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- A Lovely Starting PointBlackLabelVIPDined on 11/20/2014The space at Technique is absolutely beautiful -- lofty ceilings, window detail, simply modern decor. While the restaurant feels bare as a result during slower hours (as when we had dinner, we were one of two tables), I like to imagine that things get more vibrant. Service was hit or miss; our server, though nice, forgot to do basic things (like introduce the amuse bouche, ask if anyone had dietary restrictions, or tell us what cheeses were on the night's plate). The server at the other table seemed more confident, so I assume ours was merely new. When it comes to the food at Technique? All praise. The flavors in the twice-baked potato amuse bouche, the kale salad, the salmon were delicately layered. Dishes were plated and presented with care. And the cheese plate -- wow -- it stood at the center of our table as a highlight. Perfectly composed. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but nos as excectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/4/2014We knew going in it was a culinary school, so there could be some issues. The prices reflect that, it is reasonable for what they are offering. But everything had a small negative. Took a long time to get our food, one of the appetizers did not taste good at all, we had theater tkts so had to leave at a certain time it took so long we could not have dessert. The mushroom pizza was delicious. Staff very polite but as learning students ... Still learning. It wasn't terrible, but would not recommend.
- DisappointingAlwayshungry2Dined on 10/29/2014We came in with medium expectations and left disappointed. The whole experience was a bit of a mess; no one seemed in charge; the place was about 30% full and we still waited to order drinks and the food took too long; some parts of the meals were simply not good. Too bad because we want a place like this to succeed. Might try it one more time in a few months. Really hope they get it together. Prices are too high for the quality of food being served. hooefully it was just an off day (Wednesday).
- Great Food, Great FunDholmesVIPDined on 10/17/2014Eating cuisine of this caliber at affordable prices was a real treat. Food is exciting and creative and the enthusiasm of the student servers and chefs is contagious. It was great fun and the meal fabulous. The bulgogi duck breast was cooked medium and perfect. The grass fed New York Strip was an unusual preparation with a heart of romaine lettuce with an unusual seasoning that made it absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Fair but slightly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014I have been at this place on several occasions before this past week. I noticed that the menu had changed (from prix fixe to a la carte) and prices had gone up. These are fine - however, the food took too long (over 45") and the service/hospitality was less than what I would expect from Le Cordon Bleu chefs-in-training. Overall, the meal was great as usual but it just wasn't the same as it was a year or so ago... Not sure if it's worth going back to again.
- so nice!marceyDined on 10/13/2014It was beautiful how they were so prepared for us (8people) and the service was great although I miss the old menu but oh well! The food was good and the ambience was quiet and nice although empty the restaurant but overall good and pleasant and the server was so nice to me and all of us and so sweet and funny. ...I graduated from the school and I keep this place close to my heart and this experience was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive and delicious!JessDined on 9/22/2014The menu was unique and creative. The food and drinks were delicious. I did get the sense occasionally that the service was learning their 'technique' since they wanted the presentation to be perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu ChangessnwbrdrVIPDined on 9/19/2014I have been to Technique several times now and has gone down hill. It used to have a prix fixe menu that was a great value, but now the menu is a la carte and much more expensive. They have also gone to a menu that is trying to blend too many different flavors which just doesn't work. The meat in the crying tiger dish was an oddly soft texture, the ceviche was dry and not refreshing despite the thinly sliced mangoes covering it, and the bbq pizza was about on par with something you could get for much cheaper at any pizza place. The only item that was actually worth it was the green beans. Overall Technique needs to go back to its old ways, until then I can't recommend it to friends or family because of the lower quality and higher prices.
- unique diningstewartDined on 9/16/2014When my wife and I want unique, good tasting food at a clean, attractive environment that is quiet enough to have easy conversation this is a place we select.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what happenedUsuallyjoyfulDined on 9/15/2014We had dined here before but we're totally disappointed this time.No prix fix any longer, horribly designed menu, entree served in a frying pan, too greasy, too big portions, flavours confused, expensive for a culinary school, only one other diner besides us. Shall I continue? What a shame. We would love to support future chefs but not after this experience.
- great foodfoodmattersDined on 9/11/2014great food. a little slow on water refills. and a few delays on food service. but the quality of food far exceeded those minor issues.Special Features:
- DisappointLochpDined on 9/9/2014Mediocre presentation. Food quality even lower than Denny's. Beef: borderline leather. Sauce: too salty and masking flavor of the meat. Price totally unjustified. Student waiters are nice but not well trained enough. Resident supervisor was clueless when student made mistake and spilled sauce on customer's clothing while serving.Technique is a restaurant-school and should not pretend to be and charge the same price as a commercial restaurant when the entire staff is still amateurish and unable to respond properly to accidents. It is customary to serve bread at the beginning of the meal, not to wait for customer's request and serve it during mid meal.
- false advertisingadelDined on 9/4/2014When I made my reservation online, it directed me to a site that showed Technique's menu which specifically stated 3 courses for $10 and 4 courses for $15. Much to my surprise, the restaurant offered an a la carte menu and the prices were far from reasonable. The kimchi rice tasted awful. The ribs were so-so. The white fish was hardly recognizable. And the coup de grace was the biscuit dessert with bacon bits. Uggh! Quite honestly, I don't think we will be back, although I wish the culinary students well and I hope you take these comments constructively. You asked for my review.
- learn to likeckingDined on 9/3/2014we like technique very much. the servers and cooks are all students learning under pros, but the food is top-notch. the only thing different here from a 'regular' restaurant is some students are a bit awkward in seating guests or serving plates, but they're obviously trying to do well and again, the food is top-notch. prices here are good, too. AND ask about tipping. we leave cash, but if paying by cc, there is no line for tips. don't know if it's discouraged, or one is not supposed to. we don't ask, so we just leave cash if we like the service.
- Pleasuring the palateTreatyourselftonightDined on 9/3/2014I have dined at LCB for a 4th time now and the experience is always so enjoyable. I bring different friends who love to indulge in exciting culinary dishes. We will continue to dine at LCB and look forward to the next seasonal menu with anticipation.Special Features:
- Wait staff was very informative.fiirstttimedinersDined on 8/22/2014Most of the food was well prepared, especially the pork chops. It was all served attractive. The green beans left us not too thrilled, but the corn dish was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TumtumDined on 8/22/2014Food was very good except the ribeye steak was average to poor quality but cooked med/rare as requested. The pork chop was excellent. All of the vegetables were terrific and not over cooked with excellent seasoning. The server was pleasant and attentive but very unskilled. The server had no knowledge of wine and didn't know how to open the bottle. She had little knowledge of the food or the preparation of it. Over all we had a nice evening for the first time in the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- KTC91101VIPDined on 8/13/2014My salad was very good. The pork and mushroom dish is too big and greasy and serving in a frying pan. It is definitely not what I like.
- Needs to improvealeneubauerDined on 8/6/2014As this is a school, we have gone on a bad day. The service was poor, despite the effort of the staff. The food could have been better too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Even though they do not have the Prefix Menu anymore, the current menu offers a great variety of choices from starters to deserts. The seafood oysters were our favorite. We ordered three dozen among 8 people. Will definitely go back for more good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something New in DiningTweedylinDined on 7/31/2014If you are looking for something new in dining, try Technique @ Le Cordon Bleu. Meals are presented in a fancy manner and the staff is excellent in recommending entrees. Restaurant is very clean and quiet.Special Features:
- Delightful surprisetravelingfoodieDined on 7/28/2014My husband, an adult daughter, and I had dinner there this past Tuesday night. We went out of curiosity, nothing more. So, we were delighted with the amuse bouche which was a vegetarian eggroll with a piquant sauce and the interesting sauce on the Kumamoto oysters which was described as "like a frozen Bloody Mary". My pork belly was delicious as were the entrees that my husband and daughter had. I was too busy wolfing down (I mean, "savoring") my food that I don't even remember what they ordered. I do remember that their food was delicious as well. Service was friendly but professional and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend this restaurant although the decor was quite minimalist.Special Features:
- The following 950 reviews are from the Technique at Le Cordon Bleu – Pasadena reviews archive.
- DisappointedSorosie8Dined on 7/22/2014We went for the prefix menu dinner which was online. We looked at the menu and decided to leave. They stopped the prefix menu a week earlier. There were also several odd sounding dishes that was not appealing to me. We went somewhere else for dinner.
- Style and Menu has changedGourmetYokozunaDined on 7/9/2014The prix fix menu that Technique was known for is gone. We arrived on the 2nd night of a new menu scheme. You are free to choose from a large assortment of menu items. They are not marked as appetizers or main but in categories such as meat, seafood, vegetables and dessert. There is no way to determine portion size besides asking the servers. As the servers are students some may or may not know the menu. In our case the servers were new students who were also bad servers and were not attentive at all. Food was from good to bad. Rib Eye and Schnitzel were executed very well and are full meals by themselves. Ja-Da-Do Salad was too spicy and the Kim Chi Fried rice was not spicy. The best was the salsa and chips made fresh in house.Special Features:
- WonderfulMisericordiaDined on 6/20/2014This is a real find of a place with food rivaling any five star restaurant at a two-star price or less! The wine list is deliciously varied with some surprises. The prix fixe price is amazingly inexpensive and worth three times the price. We had a party of four, my gf and I and another couple: they shared one of the chop house specials for two, the baby back ribs with Texas BBQ sauce, grilled asparagus and pommes frites. My gf and I had the prix fixe dinners, which nclude appetizer, entree and dessert. She had the crepe Florentine, spring chicken; I had the crabmeat beignets (shared with the table-there were three lovely ones!) and the black cod. We both had the from,age plate with honeycomb for dessert. Amazing meal for us all!Special Features:
- always greatCigaDined on 6/13/2014Always a high level of quality food and service at a reasonable price. I love supporting these students.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Thank you for a wonderful experience. This was our first time but not our last. Everyone was so nice and the food was excellant. My husband asked for well done meat and received well done meat. Many restrauants do it their way, this one does it your way. Make sure you ask if you want something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch is better than dinnerenterpriseDined on 5/28/2014I have tried both lunch and dinner. I would say lunch is great but dinner is just not-so-great.Special Features:
- Technique's technique!foodnfunDined on 5/28/2014Our server, Melissa, was gracious & helpful but the manager, leaning on a wall, never greeted us although place was empty! We chose the price fixe dinner, many choices. Had flank steak, lamb chop & black cod, everything delicious albeit small. (2 pieces of bread for 3 of us!) Dessert was a surprise: French menu sans French pastry! Meal superb, experience interesting. $25 price fixe added up to more: wine $12 a glass, coffee $3 per cup. Automatic 15% tip, contribution to the scholarship fund. Our server refused a personal tip explaining all money must go to the scholarship fund not to individuals. Will I go again? Possibly. Although my friends noted, for $50 we could go to Roy's!Special Features:
- Heavy-handed with the salt jarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014Although we understood going in that Technique was student cooking our meal, we didn't expect the food to be so salty. We ordered the BBQ ribs and short rib for our entrees. Both were extremely salty. My husband also said the presentation on his short rib could use some improvement as the meat was presented on the bone which you don't see often for short rib dishes. Our desserts were not flavorful or memorable. Sadly, it wasn't worth the almost $100 we spent.
- Great spotstewartDined on 5/21/2014This was the first time my wife and I dined here. She had prix fixe with veal cordon bleu and I had prix fixe with spring lamb. The taste of everything was good to excellent. The service was excellent. The ambience was excellent for us because the building is beautiful and nearly empty so it was quiet and easy to talk to one another. Regarding food, the cordon bleu was very good, the spring lamb was excellent, the custard desert was excellent, the ice cream was good. The one complaint was the spring lamb portion was very small. The cordon blue was huge. We really liked our server. They rotate through serving and cooking so it's nice having a server that is a chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedEaglerockerDined on 5/20/2014Although the staff of friendly Le Cordon Bleu students tried hard to please, in every other way we were disappointed. High prices, tiny portions, limited menu, mediocre food and warm beer. The blaring pop music on the sound system just made it worse. The elegant space and open kitchen give the restaurant a nice look, but architecture only goes so far. The cafe side of the establishment was fun when we visited previously but I cannot recommend the restaurant at all, although I wish I could. I guess the word is out about how badly this place has stumbled because only two out of 15 tables were occupied.
- Disappointed in many waysAdventuriousFoodieDined on 5/15/2014The servers rush you from the minute you walk in asking what you want to drink before you've taken your seat. They hover around anxious to remove your plate before you are done with one course. (My saucer was actually removed while I was sipping coffee) I asked for an espresso but they didn't know how to work the machine. My chicken sausage appetizer had no flavor except for the sauce. Many items were fried, dry and accompanied with sauces that did NOT complement the dish. Also, there were no vegetables served with the main course. Our prix fixed menu for 2 (with 2 glasses of wine & 2 coffees) cost us $93. To us that is not a bargain. Sorry, but we would not return.
- wonderful!GREATVIPDined on 5/14/2014always an amazing MENU!!! GREAT TO SEE ALL THE ASPIRING CHEFS HARD AT WORK -- PASSION!!!Special Features:
- Tantalizing Your Taste Buds!FoodisMyPlaygroundDined on 5/9/2014My family and I had a wonderful experience at Technique. The staff was pleasant and friendly, the food was delicious and had so many flavors packed into one plate, and the waitress was very thoughtful about our toddler also having a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience at Culinary SchoolsegabeDined on 5/9/2014One of the reasons I love to take guests to Technique at Le Cordon Bleu is the experience of enjoying students, watching the kitchen staff teach and learn, incredible service and adventure of the menu. The choices are always creative, not always outstanding, but good and sometimes just exquisite. I love the adventure of it all. Prices are still quite reasonable I believe for the Prix Fixe menu. Lunch is especially a good deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brooms and wineTaitaiDined on 4/29/2014It should be possible to get cheaper wines (or the corking fee should be reduced). The website should include information about wines served (incl. prices). You accept peopple to have dinner until 7:30/8:00 pm. In fact the information should say that at 8:00 pm the party is over, that coffee cannot be served anymore, that students start coming into the restaurant with cleaning materials in their hands. Our conclusion is that if you want to ho enjoy a three course dinner and drink a coffee to finish the meal you should be there at 6:00/6:30 pm at the latest. Please be so kind to inform customers about this on your website. It is quite a disappointment to finish a very enjoyable dinner in an environment that is dominated by cleaners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd definitely come back real soon!EDubsDined on 4/11/2014Reservations are a must, and once you're ink the menu is amazing and the price is unbelievable! For any appetizer, entree, and dessert, you pay only $25. I thought I wasn't going to be full because I'm quite a big eater, but it was just right and enough. I can't believe they're all students serving, and cooking for you, I feel like I'm at a 5 star dining experience. Sitting near the pass was also a great experience. The place was just overall lovely and a wonderful experience! I wished they had better prices on alcoholic drinks though, and they don't have a bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but not worth the pricejohnnygDined on 4/11/2014Sorry, but many my friends said we should try this, as it was a good deal. Unfortunately, I understand these are aspiring chefs but the food and portions were small. I had to order a dinner for two to have a regular restaurant helping. The menu was more French inspired and unless you are open to experimenting, I wouldn't recommend. If you are taking any children or teens they have a limited menu. The ambiance was open but you have metal chairs and tables and we actually got seated at a high table which was "ok" but since I was backed up against another patron, the wait staff kept squeezing between us to bring orders out. Overall, for the price of the meal, I would recommend a regular nice restaurant, which there are many in Pasadena.
- Excellent ValuessxwDined on 3/14/2014Having dined at Technique a few times now, I always arrive at the same conclusion: for the quality of food this establishment serves, the prices are not expensive. It is an incredible value for the level of refinement of the restaurant and its offerings. The staff is very courteous and attentive, and the seasonal menus always provide interesting choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.