177 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.teatroboston.com/
- Phone: 6177786841
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Monday: CLOSED
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jamie Mammano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for a complete buyout.
A word from Teatro
Teatro, located in the theater district overlooking the Boston Common, offers a modern approach to classic Italian dishes. The design of Teatro is both elegant and informal. The open kitchen and high arched mosaic ceiling gives the room a theatrical presence. Teatro offers a full bar and wine list. Full menu is available at the bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Teatro reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (110)special occasion (82)neighborhood gem (80)romantic (51)good for groups (43)hot spot (41)notable wine list (28)vibrant bar scene (26)late-night find (16)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/17/2014the food was fantastic. The mussels appetizer was fabulous. My husband had the duck cannelloni and I had pear and Parmesan ravioli. All entrees were outstanding. The service was impeccable and the desert to die for....all within a moderate price rangeSpecial Features:
- Was great!JenlynnVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was excellent! The quality of the food was really good. The salads were really fresh and Teatro uses high quality ingredients Makes a huge difference! The services was charming and attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014It was just what I was looking for. A tasty, not-too-fancy, pre-theatre dinner. While loud and bustling it was easy to talk with my partner and at the same time I was not able to hear the conversations of the parties on either side of us who were physically very close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TEATRODined on 10/12/2014My wife an I had a wonderful meal with great service. We have been to Teatro many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/10/2014Good food, good service, but too noisy for conversation. There was a group of 4 very noisy women which definitely detracted from our enjoyment.Special Features:
- Excellent, with one exception.NickDined on 10/10/2014Prefer a place where I can have (and hear) the conversation with my dinner partner. A bit on the loud side for me. Otherwise, a wonderful experience. Top notch service and well prepared courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice vibe spotDarrylDined on 10/9/2014A good spot with quality food at a reasonable cost...enough saidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014I really enjoyed the food. The noise level was like any busy bar/restaurant, but with the tables too close together you could hardly hear yourself talk. The server didn't get our drink order correcyly , probably due to the noise level. I felt like I was practically sitting with the people next to me at their table. Overall a good experience. I would go back, but not for a romantic dinner. More of a friend night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForgtNamesIUsedForgtNamesIUsedVIPDined on 10/7/2014Restaurant was convenient if you're going to the theater. Food was good. I always like a restaurant that offers half or full portions of pasta. Service was good. Tables are extremely close together. You can easily hear the conversations on either side of your table. Overall noise level is high.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GMD47VIPDined on 10/7/2014Excellent service in a nicely decorated restaurant . The Italian food here is better than 90% of the places in the North End .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible restaurantsuziDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I went to this restaurant because we were going to a show close by. It was terrible from beginning to end. Service was bad as the waiters seemed overwhelmed and running around. It took a half hour for my husband to get a drink he ordered. The food was awful and we could not wait to leave. Very unfortunate that yelp has a zillion reviews that the restaurant is fantastic. Must be written by friends and family members because I cannot imagine why people would ever like anything about it. It was very very disappointing. We went to a lot of trouble to get there too. We would have been better off just winging it and finding a place without reviews.
- No Complaints, but not memorableGregglesDined on 10/5/2014This was our first time back to Teatro in several years. We were looking for a good, convenient place for dinner before a concert in the Theater District. Overall, the food was fine, the service was competent, and the prices were in line with our expectations (our bill was $150 for 2 people). I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from trying Teatro, but there are many restaurants in Boston that are better, so we won't be rushing to go back.
- Pre-theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2014Went with a group of six. All raved about their meal. Especially nice was the fact that they have some 1/2 portion entrees. No doggie bags needed.Special Features:
- CohassetcookDined on 10/5/2014This is a great restaurant for before the show meals. Conveniently located to several theaters. Excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Was told there would be GF choicesGfreelyVIPDined on 10/3/2014I requested gluten free, they called and said they had plenty of choices for gluten free, yet the outcome was different. The waiter hesitated when I asked about my choices. I could have a salad (no guarantee about the dressings) or the soup (I pursuaded him to ask the chef). Second course was scallops or steak. That's it! Sad choices. It is so simple to make things gluten free without telling the general public. Additives really are rarely necessary. I have been to Teatro's many times and had plenty of choices. This was the last visit as they have gone backwards in food preparation. So many other places to eat in the area that will accommodate. Restaurants need to realize while celiacs are in the minority we generally travel in groups!
- Always PerfectmbdinBostonDined on 10/2/2014Teatro never disappoints. Everything is terrific. Ravioli is sublime. Love the space.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Enjoyed the restaurant and delicious food, but the noise level was distracting.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-show choiceJimGDined on 10/2/2014My wife and I met at Teatro for dinner after work and before a show; it was our first time there. For entrees, she had duck and I had scallops; both were delicious. Having a conversation was a challenge given the noise level and densely packed seating. I would definitely not recommend Teatro for a quiet, romantic dinner, but for a very good meal before a show it fits the bill nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The food was incredible. I wish they had a better beer selection though but my guest was happy with what he had and it was his birthday so that makes me feel good. Overall I thought it was great!Special Features:
- great Pre-show spotlsp1Dined on 10/1/2014Love going here for a great pre-show dinner. Great food, service, and 5 minute walk to all the theatres!! Consistently good...Special Features:
- Theater District Dinner GemTheTheateristasDined on 10/1/2014We were looking for a good restaurant to enjoy dinner before our 7:30 Lion King show at The Opera House and Teatro did not disappoint. Even my niece was impressed and she has reviewed many a restaurant for her food blog. We ordered the antipasto and were surprised to receive a huge beautifully presented platter of Italian delicacies never before seen on any antipasto plate that we had ever beheld. We all enjoyed trying the new yummy morsels. The half portion pasta entrees were delightful and just enough. Reasonable prices for such wonderful meals. We would definitely go back for another "pre-show" dinner when we return to Boston.Special Features:
- Leto ReviewLetoDined on 9/25/2014Great food and service. Get the calamari and mussels as appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!GKH910VIPDined on 9/25/2014I am picky about italian food - and this place was amazing! The food was fantastic. The service was wonderful - our server made thoughtful suggestions and was very helpful. I highly highly recommend this place before a show - or anytime! We loved it and will certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- packed at 6pmSnapDined on 9/25/2014We went here prior to seeing a show at Boston Opera (which is literally a 4 minute or less walk). It was packed with what I assume was theatre and after work crowd, i was glad i made reservations! The tables are VERY close to eachother, so close you have to put your butt on your neighbors table to squeeze in...awkward. It was quite loud too. The waiter was handsome and friendly. Drinks took a while to get to the table. My meal was fabulous though, it was a pasta stuffed with marsala braised duck, with a marsala and mushroom sauce. Unexpectedly amazing! The calamari was ok, actually, the actual calamari was good, but the sauces were not! Hubs got apple pizza, it was ok. Overall pricey, but would return when seeing another show bc locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bruschetta with peachesauntelissaDined on 9/23/2014We loved the bruschetta with peaches, whipped ricotta and balsamic! What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShellsDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I throughly enjoyed our dinner and great wine. Being from New York we are always cautious about eating Italian food anywhere other than NY. We were recommended by a NY transplant and we loved the ambience as well as the food. We highly recommend it, a must try is the Chicken Milanese and the pasta with Bolengese sauceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Pretty LoudBawbVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food and service were excellent, and the look and feel of the place were cool and memorable. There was definitely a noise problem though - and we were there at 5pm on a Sunday, when it wasn't full yet. Worth noting, the entree portions are on the small side - go ahead and order one of their delicious-sounding first courses! Our only complaint: because of the way the tables are spaced, you can hear the people at the next table more clearly than the other people at your own.Special Features:
- Pre theatre dinnermcw117Dined on 9/21/2014Great ambiance. Disappointed with the quantity and quality of food. Potatoes for $7 tasted like Betty Crocker mix and scallop dish consisted of 4 scallops for $28. Tasty but insufficient amount. Go for the pork chop since it was a good portion and was flavorful.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food, Excellent ServicemadteapartyDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I went here for a "date night" on a saturday evening. The ambiance was lovely, and though it was a bit louder than I usually like, I had no problem being able to carry on a conversation with my husband. The waitress we had was excellent, she checked on us throughout the night but was never so present as to be overbearing. The manager came by our table to see how we were enjoying ourselves and everyone was so friendlY! Most importantly the food was incredible. My husband had the duck, which he raved about the rest of the night, and I (being a vegetarian and had a surprising number of options) had the spinich ravioli with a white sauce that was so light yet flavorful I quickly finished the large plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeatroOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Seating was quite tight. had to sit on a plastic chair. felt like I was eating at a cafeteria. service was good and unbelievably fast. Food was only OK given the price. menu and wine list were limited. One could be in and out of the restaurant in less than 45 minutes...and $120 lighter
- My wife's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014My wife,daughter,and I had a terrific meal and had plenty of time to get to the theater on timeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014We had a delicious meal, the service was excellent and the hostesses were wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Very good menu and reasonable prices. Nice to be able to order a smaller size portion of some dishes, so that you can try a few different things. Good service and nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeatroStagDined on 9/17/2014We wanted good dining near the Opera House. This was within walking distance and also very Close to other theatre venues. Valet parking was very important.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Boston restaurantHarrryDined on 9/16/2014We made reservations via Open Table but when we arrived they could not find reservation. Although the restaurant was packed, they found us a table with a smile. Love this place; fantastic food, over the top service, friendly, professional waitstaff and all this with moderately priced entrees. Their fried calamari is absolutely the best we have ever eaten. Teatro is a gem. If you are not going to a nearby theatre, wait until after the pre theatre rush is over and then enjoy the best food and service in Boston.Special Features:
- Teatro never disappoints!SilkeVIPDined on 9/16/2014It's sort of a neighborhood gem, but more... has been great, and consistent, forever! Its location next to the Boston Common theater makes it perfect before or after a movie. Nice, busy bistro ambiance, great food, really good service even when busy... love it!Special Features:
- Mussels Appetizer to Die ForindygirlDined on 9/13/2014Loved the ambience. Great service and the food was really good. Absolutely loved the mussels appetizer and the presentation that they brought us each our own serving. Absolutely delicious. Would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- great for pre-show dinnerjbkollDined on 9/13/2014Had dinner here with friends prior to a concert at the Wang. Loved the drinks, food, and overall evening. Service was a little spotty in timing but the knowledge of our server was great, as was his recommendations. We were an hour late due to traffic on Storrow but they had a table for us anyways (we called twice to say we were still coming). It wasn't the finest table but we were happy just to be seated. Fresh ingredients, simple presentation, generous enough portions.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodCherDined on 9/12/2014We enjoyed the selection of the meal. I would not recommend the chicken as it had no flavor. BUT, all the other dishes among our group were outstanding. Very flavorful and perfect portions.Special Features:
- Love Teatro!IlovespicyfoodVIPDined on 9/11/2014One of my favorites. Food is always great, you can't go wrong with anything here. Service is on point. Love all the pastas, and prices are extremely reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.