2924 Freeport Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95818Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taylorskitchen.com/
- Phone: (916) 443-5154
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: W-Sa 5:00pm-9:30pm
Brunch Sunday 9:00am-1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Telford
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Taylor's Kitchen can create a custom tailored catering experience for special events off all kinds. Taylor's is a full service, farm to fork caterer. We can host cocktail parties, buffets or full service dining. Please contact Keith Fergel, Restaurant and Catering Manager, for pricing and menu options.
- Public Transit: Public transportation is very convenient, as Taylor's is located directly across Freeport Boulevard from the Fourth Avenue, Wayne Holtgren light rail station.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Taylor's Kitchen shares parking with Taylor's Market. Guests are welcome to park in front of the market or restaurant.
A word from Taylor's Kitchen
Taylor's Kitchen is a charming, neighborhood restaurant nestled in between Land Park and Curtis Park. Chef Richard Telford's weekly changing menu benefits from his relationship with local farmers and ranchers. One of Sacramento's "best kept culinary secrets", Taylor's is perennially on at or near the top of Zagat's list in food quality. The wine list is always changing features wines hand selected by Master Sommelier candidate, Keith Fergel, formerly of The San Francisco's Fifth Floor and Yountville's The French Laundry.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Taylor's Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Taylor's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)fit for foodies (66)special occasion (50)romantic (30)notable wine list (24)good for groups (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Excellent Land Park restaurantWritnkittenDined on 11/22/2014If you can tear yourself away from the brined pork chop, which is very hard to pass up, there's always a great fish dish on the menu. This time around, I had an Asian-inspired halibut that was amazing. The husband stuck with the pork chop--it's the best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been a 5 but...matineeVIPDined on 11/15/2014I would have given Taylor's Kitchen a 5 except the Apple Crostada was a major disappointment. Our appetizers/salads and entrees were great, but the dessert had been prepared earlier and reheated. My wife makes essentially the same dish at home and it can be fantastic if freshly prepared. It was unevenly heated and the green apple sorbet just didn't go with the sweetness of the crostada. That dessert is extremely simple and can be made fresh to order with little effort. Fortunately, our server asked what we thought of the dish and when we told him, he took it off the bill. We will certainly eat here again if in the neighborhood and I do recommend trying Taylor's Kitchen if you get the chance. Next time we will eat at the counter overlooking the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it!jtfdez5VIPDined on 11/15/2014Great food and staff was very friendly. Wish they had a full bar though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANOTHER GREAT EXPERIENCE!1KTravelerVIPDined on 11/7/2014I always look forward to dinner at Taylor's Kitchen, and this visit was great. The service is excellent from a staff very passionate and knowledgeable about food and wine. Taylor's uses locally sourced ingredients wherever possible and the high quality and freshness really comes through. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot! Great food!SacManDined on 11/1/2014Took my wife and some friends for her 40th birthday. The food was excellent, the service was impeccable, and the setting was perfect. We have a new favorite restaurant in Sac!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findJammerdaveDined on 11/1/2014We don't know much about Sacramento for food but this place can run with anywhere in San francisco, very good food and service. Menu is meat heavy so be warned vegans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014This was my second visit to Taylor's Kitchen. However, on this visit the service seemed rushed. Although the wait staff was friendly. We both ordered the rib eye and it was extremely fatty. The cheese board had great selections but the portions were small.Special Features:
- Local gemSimpleSimonDined on 10/31/2014Far from the madding crowds of the downtown power lunch/expense account/lobbyist scene, Taylor's is a place where food matters, in an elegant but understated way. The atmosphere is cozy, the staff friendly and professional, the wine list imaginative and varied. And the food: seasonal and original, but never over the top. And without a loud bar scene and rock concert acoustics, you can actually have an audible conversation while you enjoy your meal.Special Features:
- Excellent in all respectsgreatdfoodsonlyDined on 10/25/2014As advertised, ingredients were fresh and varied with creative combinations across the menu. First courses and salads are varied. Great pork belly, soup and crostini. Entrees are varied. The pork shop was brined and thus tender, while the lamb shank special with a demi glaze was both rich and plentiful. Portions are generous, service was personable and prompt, and the wine list offers many good options with a good span of prices. Wine by the glass has some excellent choices--unlike so many good restaurants that fall short in this category with mostly cheap, uninteresting wines. We'll be back--with a reservation. Even with the Giants/Royals game on, most tables were filled. Note that current online menu has changed.Special Features:
- MagicDined on 10/17/2014Excellent service; good food; energetic/noisy ambience; feels like a neighborhood bar/restaurant, which is; comfortable and moderately priced wine list and menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taylor's Kitchen Still OutstandingKatyDined on 10/10/2014Taylor's Kitchen was excellent from day-one. However, it has matured beautifully and become outstanding in every way. The service is friendly yet professional, while never pretentious. The food cannot be better. We always bring a former restaurant owner, fussy foodie with us, and he has never had one complaint. We brought wine with us this visit, but frankly is unnecessary - the wine selection cannot be topped in Sacramento. I'm a vegetarian, and the menu has wonderful, delicious options. It's a very special spot and neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Land Park GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014How great is it to have such outstanding dining 5 minutes from home and not have to live in NYC? Seared scallops - perfection, butter lettuce salad; crisp and delicious, filet mignon; perfectly done on the rare side as requested. The dessert menue did not tempt us, but perhaps because we already completely consumed three outstanding courses? Did have a divine cup of cappacino decaf. Service was efficient, not hovering, but there. Went for our anniversary - a quiet romantic spot in the hood. Will be back.Special Features:
- Casual but goodginycDined on 10/8/2014I go to Taylor"s because I feel welcomed and the food is consistently good. I can walk, sit at the bar, even read a book if alone. The menu is not long but there is always something that catches my eye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Splendid EveningPhillipDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I are always searching for a new dining experience and neither of us had previously been to Taylor's Kitchen. My wife, stepson, and I had dinner on 4 October to celebrate her birthday and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Our starters, which consisted of Sweet Breads and a Cheese Plate, were delicious and were followed by a wonderful salad course. For the main course, I had Ahi Tuna, my wife had a pasta dish, and my stepson had a generous Rib Eye. All three were high quality and tasty. We ordered two desserts, one of which was adorned with a solitary candle, which was a nice touch as we made very little to do about the birthday celebration. Good Food, wonderful atmosphere and service!Special Features:
- Great food in a homey settingpoodlenoseDined on 10/4/2014I have only been to Taylor's twice, but I loved both visits. I shop at the market all the time. The food tends towards classic preparations (I had seared salmon once, and grilled ribeye with a red wine reduction the second time. Sides: What could be better than a perfect potato gratin? With broccoli rabe and mushrooms? Salads are the best part - mixed greens with plums, hazelnuts, watermelon radish and fermented garlic vinaigrette was the favorite. Server was efficient, alert, warm, and professional. We got a Lyft home so we could both enjoy the great bottle of Grenache/Syrah blend (Broadley?) Desserts looked appealing, too. Prices are a bit high, but we're in our fifties and hey, life is good right now. We are lucky.Special Features:
- Gastropubs Unite!Gardeninggirl27Dined on 10/4/2014Taylor's Kitchen is one of several gastropub type restaurants I have visited this past year or two. Since I live in the Bay Area but visit LA often, this type of farm-to-table dining is now de rigueur for good restaurants. Taylor's Kitchen fits the description of a good restaurant with farm-to-table ingredients transformed into a limited menu: fine flavors abound in well-crafted dishes like the Berkshire pork chops with braised chard. The wine list is good with choices for every palate and price range. The only shortcoming for me was the dessert selections which I looked forward to online, but which disappointed me in their real versions. The service was accommodating and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good bite to eat.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The food was really good, though on the pricey side. The wait staff was very attentive and knowledgeable. The server even had a great knowledge of wines and brought over a small tasting course when they didn't have the Pinot my mother in law wanted.Special Features:
- Treat Yourself to Taylor's KitchenTreatorRetreatDined on 10/2/2014Treat yourself to a charming neighborhood restaurant with good food, wine, and excellent service. This kitchen captures quaintness, attracts local patrons in an atmosphere that is great for celebration as well as for conversation or even a quiet retreat.Special Features:
- Walkable food placeginycDined on 10/1/2014I can walk here for dinner and sit at the bar by myself without feeling out of place. The food is very good and the wine list by the glass is interesting. The service is always good. My go to place.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantevonDined on 9/27/2014Nice variety in menu selections, food was well prepared with quality ingredients , but what stood out most for us was our waiter, who was just excellent. She has waited on us before and she knows the menu well, is very efficient, friendly, and professional. Great service!Special Features:
- Dinner on 8/19OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The food was delicious and some of the dishes I am not sure I could replicate at home! The waiter was fantastic, very friendly and all the staff did not miss a best! Certainly, your restaurant is one of those that I will certainly go again.Special Features:
- ANOTHER MEMORABLE DINNER1KTravelerVIPDined on 9/13/2014I can't say enough about the great food and service that is always a part of dining at Taylor's Kitchen. It was my friend's first time dining there, and he was very impressed as well. I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!GSSmithVIPDined on 9/6/2014Impressive from first bite to the last. Staff was friendly, smiling and attentive. Food was simply amazing; prepared perfectly with unique combinations of spices and side dishes. Meals were well-proportioned and not expensive. Wine list is interesting and fun. We will absolutely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good not Great5kadayDined on 8/30/2014This was our first visit, so we were not sure what to expect. Had we known how small the dining room is, we would have made a specific seating request when making our reservation. It just so happens, we got the two top right in front of the front door. Every time it opened the wind would wip through our table. On a statue day night, that was often. Food was above average. You definitely need to try some of the appetizers. You could tell a lot of care and patients goes into the cooking. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Best Neighborhood RestaurantEileenDined on 8/30/2014This is our favorite restaurant, we dine here at least twice a month. Food is always delicious and service is top notch.Special Features:
- Great FoodMarnieDined on 8/29/2014Went there for a leisurely dinner. We shared the salad and appetizer and both were delicious. We each had out own entree and the tastes were marvelous! The server was great and had great humor without being overbearing. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening out,Special Features:
- Dinner for SixGinaDined on 8/29/2014Recently dined at Taylor's with colleagues to celebrate the retirement of one of them. Dinner was outstanding and everyone was pleased with their meals. I had the Mary's roasted chicken, which was sublime (I know! How often do you hear that about chicken?!). The Tuscan salsa that the chicken was served with was amazing -- I will try to "reverse engineer" it at home. It was a perfect evening. Thank you so much to Taylor's Kitchen and for never disappointing us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FindSFfoodieDined on 8/22/2014The home made pasta is worth the trip. Beet salad also good but could be lighter on the salt. Burger was an interesting anomaly for the elegant plating on other dishes...HUGE patty. Very tasty. Cucumber monitors sorbet was refreshing and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance on Freeport Blvd.SactoYumDined on 8/21/2014Our dining experience was outstanding. This was our first visit to Taylor's Kitchen, but it won't be our last. The food was lovingly prepared and artistically presented. From appetizers through dessert, everything was elegantly served and removed. Even a water spill was quickly and efficiently cleaned up! The meats were perfectly cooked and flavorful, the veggies were varied and seasoned interestingly, the variety of salads gave everyone in our party a different choice and dessert, if you had room for it, provided the jewel in the crown.Special Features:
- Better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We are sometimes Taylor's Market shoppers and, for years, had intended to eat at their restaurant. So for our anniversary we decided to. A surprise. We were struck by the relatively small size of the room which seemed to add to the devotion to food and service. I stared at the unique ceiling fans more than once. The appetizers came quickly though the main course was somewhat slow. We realized that our dinners were both cooked, seemingly from scratch for our pleasure. That was impressive. The food itself was excellent. The fruit gazpacho was a little bland, but hinted at great possibilities. To even come up with such an idea was excellent. The main courses were exceptionally good. Well prepared, really tasty. A wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Always imaginative and seasonal dishes here, and the chef is willing to modify for special preferences, which our group so appreciated. Stellar waitstaff, especially Allison. She is attentive, professional, and fun. Everything melds together at Taylor's to create a most enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- OutstandinggregDined on 8/7/2014Impeccable food, attentive and courteous serivce. discovered this while on a business trip via Open Table. Will make an hour and a half drive each night just to eat here.Special Features:
- Outstanding mealDavisfolksVIPDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful dinner with attentive service, delectable food, and a relaxed atmosphere. Definitely farm to fork and just what we were hoping. I love off the beaten path spots, especially when the food is so good. I look forward to the next opportunity to go there.Special Features:
- Seating at the bar4mft99VIPDined on 8/6/2014We haven't arrived, eaten, and enjoyed a meal for 2 in 40 minutes like our quick night out. The restaurant was to close in 30 minutes. My daughter was home for one night more and craving pasta out. The meal was prepared with flare and attention to detail. Sharing a lovely salad, delicious pasta with pancetta, and ending with the cobbler was a perfect evening. We closed the restaurant respecting that everyone wanted to head home and felt as though we had just completed our meal at a friend's home. Looking forward to our next quick bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night delightOmnivore4everDined on 8/6/2014We keep returning to this cozy, neighborhood restaurant because the menu changes with what's in season, the ingredients are local & creatively utilized, service is excellent, wine options are great. It's small, so make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!!CaptainAmericaDined on 8/1/2014Great food! Interactive but not bothersome service! Outstanding menu serving locally grown vegetables. Dessert menu was a bit Spartan, but made up for by an outstanding variety of mains and starters. Tables were a bit close together but we engaged the "date night" couple next to us in a great conversation. Prices were surprisingly good, given our choices (two starters, two mains, two glasses of wine, two desserts and two espressos - less than $150, including tip). Make reservations in advance because this place was packed on a Friday night. Get there a few minutes early as parking is a bit tougher on busy nights.Special Features:
- Wonderful vacation find.SFfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Found this on our vacation and couldn't be happier. The food was delicious and cooked perfectly the wine was delicious. The staff was kind and knowledgable. Enjoyed their suggestions. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!katwongDined on 8/1/2014The service was good at the start of the meal but towards the end of the meal the restaurant started to get busy and then it was hard to get a hold of our server. Also, I'm not sure if they don't have air conditioning or just chose not to turn it on but it was really hot and my entire party was dying in the heat. We ended up drinking so much ice water to cool ourselves down that we didn't have anymore room for dessert. To be fair, it was well over 100 that day. The food was good, possibly a bit on the pricy side. I would return here for sure but would make sure to come back on a cooler day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemTheQuirkyPalateDined on 7/31/2014Taylor's Kitchen is definitely a neighborhood gem! We came here for the first time for my belated bday dinner. Each dish we tried had a very fresh just picked from the farm taste. The chilled rock shrimp sweet corn soup,gnocchi, & the bourbon bread pudding were excellent & would definitely order again in a heartbeat. The corn was the sweetest corn I've ever had! Our waitress was also very prompt, friendly & attentive. Will definitely need to make a trip back to try the brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealsacrobinVIPDined on 7/30/2014This was our first visit (don't know why it took us so long to try it out), and it certainly won't be our last. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious and beautifully presented: scrapple with pig's ears and fresh peaches (the appetizer special that evening), the flat-iron steak and the salmon, and all three scoops of homemade ice cream and sorbet--everything was fabulous. Even the bread was wonderful. Service was attentive without being intrusive, casual without being presumptuous. The only issue was the two or three flies someone inadvertently let into the dining room--they immediately descended on us when our entrees arrived. Thankfully, the flies disappeared after an annoying two or three minutes of waving our hands around.Special Features:
- The following 66 reviews are from the Taylor's Kitchen reviews archive.